Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Also her laugh when you charge a power attack. And the comments on having lots of lucre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I could do without all the comments for having lots of money tbh because it gets very old very fast in lategame and all the way through NG+ on the way to the 500k achievement

Yes, you run out of stuff to spend money on by the end of the game. This is true of almost every RPG in existence.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
"That's it? Pfffhaaah! What a joke!"
"I love shopping!"
*specific, unique complaint about every area in the game*

Angela owns.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

These dark/dark outfits for Angela and Riesz are loving ridiculous

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
All of Angela's outfits are ridiculous, her dark/dark one is also just the most revealing.

Reisz on the other hand mostly has costumes which make "sense" as far as fantasy armor goes, so her dark/dark class kinda stands out due to not having any at all.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I can see Angela putting her DD outfit on while I can't see Riesz doing the same with hers.

Anyway, class 3 unlocked for all and the game turned into a joke. Let's see if the game gets harder once it hits the point where it assumes everyone has their final class. I suspect that's not the case though.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Riesz' D/D outfit was great in the postgame when she was telling the ghosts of her parents "I have never once regretted any of my decisions."

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I got Angela's DD outfit and I was like, "Wow, you're just... literally naked now. In ice kingdom."

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I struggled really hard with my first two Benevodons with my Ranger/Rune Maiden/Enchantress party but the difficulty instantly lessened when I class changed right after that into Rogue/Fenrir Knight/Magus. I wouldn't call it brain dead easy, but maybe that's because I'm getting old. Or maybe it's the lack of magical healing and no one having the spirit to make poto oils be super effective.

Honestly it's probably because I don't take control of Angela enough to spam spells.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Beefstew posted:

I got Angela's DD outfit and I was like, "Wow, you're just... literally naked now. In ice kingdom."
I mean... she starts with very few clothes already. In ice kingdom.

Stop hating on my stripper magician :argh:

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
I’m in a bit in love with Angela’s squeal when she dodge rolls. I’m not sure about keeping going on this NG+ if Duran is going to pop in at level 70+ later on though.

MShadowy posted:

All of Angela's outfits are ridiculous, her dark/dark one is also just the most revealing.

Reisz on the other hand mostly has costumes which make "sense" as far as fantasy armor goes, so her dark/dark class kinda stands out due to not having any at all.
Reize seems like she gets less revealing in some ways when class changing, at least in the L/D path. I thought they did a weird job modeling her since her boobs are these Barbie-doll torpedo tit things sticking out. It’s because she’s modeled assuming a leotard or breastplate from the later class outfits so it makes sense physical sense whereas the starter amazon outfit is basically two unsupported green cloth triangles and no bra.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

orcane posted:

I mean... she starts with very few clothes already. In ice kingdom.

Stop hating on my stripper magician :argh:

I ain't hating! I love Angela!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I like tracking down the party members when you enter towns. Angela will "hide" near the entrance to the snow town, and stay in the shades near the beach of desert town. In the elven village she's checking out weapons inside the shop. I missed all of those while she was the main character. Meanwhile Duran will prevent you from entering his home if he's in your party but not the MC (otherwise you can enter and get a chain ability from his aunt).

Now I wonder how many chain abilities I'm still missing.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Some benevodons are definitely easier than others, so don't attribute it entirely to class changes.

Ease and difficulty mostly boils down to ai partners' ability to deal with the opponent in question though (with the exception of Angela's class 4 quest, which is actually a somewhat difficult fight. I hope they keep it that way and don't nerf it in a patch)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

orcane posted:

I like tracking down the party members when you enter towns. Angela will "hide" near the entrance to the snow town, and stay in the shades near the beach of desert town. In the elven village she's checking out weapons inside the shop. I missed all of those while she was the main character. Meanwhile Duran will prevent you from entering his home if he's in your party but not the MC (otherwise you can enter and get a chain ability from his aunt).

Duran is my MC and he still will not let me in his house. Might be too early.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

orcane posted:

Same. Kevin's a big ol' foodie when he's out and about in the towns.

And you're probably missing a surprising amount. Each route has a good handful of chain abilities you can only get on that route. Some are probably character specific too, since I'm not sure if Angela can get Bruiser's chain skill without Duran being in the party.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Zable Fahr so far has been tough and really cool.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Poque posted:

Duran is my MC and he still will not let me in his house. Might be too early.

You can't enter Duran's House if Duran is in your party, period.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Same. Kevin's a big ol' foodie when he's out and about in the towns.

And you're probably missing a surprising amount. Each route has a good handful of chain abilities you can only get on that route. Some are probably character specific too, since I'm not sure if Angela can get Bruiser's chain skill without Duran being in the party.

Generally, the Chain Abilities that require a certain playable character tend to be held by characters who appear in that character's intro chapter, like Bruiser and King Richard for Duran or Niccolo and the Sirhan Trader that he robs for Hawkeye.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is there any achievement for getting all chain abilities or treasure chests?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bruceski posted:

Is there any achievement for getting all chain abilities or treasure chests?

Yeah, there's an achievement for learning a character's entire skill tree (so level 99), as well as one for 200 chests opened.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, there's an achievement for learning a character's entire skill tree (so level 99), as well as one for 200 chests opened.

learning all of a characters' ability is actually like 94 because you don't need the last stat up of each branches.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Arkeus posted:

learning all of a characters' ability is actually like 94 because you don't need the last stat up of each branches.

Ah, okay, I got it when I basically pumped like ~50 stat points into Hawkeye's Stamina so I wasn't sure. :v:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Oh yeah. I'm up to only Lightgazer and Zable Fahr of the eight Benevodons on my NG+ second run. Went with Rune Master Angela, Liege Duran, and Nomad Hawkeye.

Dark Force+ has basically been the bread-and-butter spell for Angela on this route; It just kills anything that doesn't resist or absorb it. Stone Cloud and Stun Wind occasionally come out when I need higher damage than usual (and possibly the status effect).

Duran heals and Hawkeye Poison Bubbles or Class Strikes everyone when I take control of him.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Folt The Bolt posted:

You can't enter Duran's House if Duran is in your party, period.

If you have Hawkeye, on the other hand, I feel like he might have given Stella visit, if y'know what I mean.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Hmm, didn't think there were 200 in a single playthrough so I wonder if that's cumulative. Since it's hidden I can't check my progress. Not one for hunting down all the chain-skill NPCs though, is there?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

yook posted:

I’m in a bit in love with Angela’s squeal when she dodge rolls. I’m not sure about keeping going on this NG+ if Duran is going to pop in at level 70+ later on though.
Reize seems like she gets less revealing in some ways when class changing, at least in the L/D path. I thought they did a weird job modeling her since her boobs are these Barbie-doll torpedo tit things sticking out. It’s because she’s modeled assuming a leotard or breastplate from the later class outfits so it makes sense physical sense whereas the starter amazon outfit is basically two unsupported green cloth triangles and no bra.

I'm L/D with Riesz and it seemed to me her skirts have gotten shorter each time to the point where every step she takes while sprinting is a panty shot unless you put the camera as high as you possibly can

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I just started with Angela, Hawkeye, Riesz and didn't realize that I have no healer. It's my first time playing this and I just want a chill experience. Should I restart with Duran or Charlotte included or will I be fine without a healer in the party? So far the game is showering me with healing items but I don't want to spend half of the game in the item ring when enemies start doing real damage later on.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

The Gunslinger posted:

I just started with Angela, Hawkeye, Riesz and didn't realize that I have no healer. It's my first time playing this and I just want a chill experience. Should I restart with Duran or Charlotte included or will I be fine without a healer in the party? So far the game is showering me with healing items but I don't want to spend half of the game in the item ring when enemies start doing real damage later on.

I had the same party combo and beat the game yesterday for the first time. It's doable. Just stock up on candy and chocolate and cups near the endgame, just in case.
My only game overs were due to petrifications, not real party wipes.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

The Gunslinger posted:

Put some items on your quick hotbar (chocolate, medical herbs, buffs etc.) and then get into the habit of using 'fully recover' with candy between fights. You'll do fine.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 4, 2020

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Hmm, didn't think there were 200 in a single playthrough so I wonder if that's cumulative. Since it's hidden I can't check my progress. Not one for hunting down all the chain-skill NPCs though, is there?

I got the 200 chests trophy to pop in my last game session hunting down Benevodons and have not completed the game yet so unless the trophy bugged (which to be fair, seems to be happening for a few of them according to some people in the thread?) there should be more than 200.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Angela usually gets a fairly solid amount of Spirit, and Light Riesz gets a chain skill that increases the healing done from items by 20%. Slap that on Angela and have her use Poto Oils and you'll never want for healing.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Angela spams holy bolt, Kevin punches good and Charlotte keeps me from killing myself with Wound Magic. I even forgot to slot three skills on Kevin and Charlotte and still did Anise in 1 minute 6 seconds :ohdear:

Bruceski posted:

I got that in the first playthrough, you can go to the world map and switch the filter to "all locations" to see where you're missing chests and how many there are. You will not go to all locations in one playthrough and some places are locked after you pass through or you can't access all chests (eg. most of the ones in Altena castle are in the basement you won't visit outside of the Angela/Duran story) but there are more than 200 per run. The post-game dungeon alone has 27 of them.

In general none of the achievements are challenging - there are more than the 200 chests and li'l cactus bonuses will eventually tell you where they are, 500k lucre is easy, you only have to finish Anise on hard (although you can make broken builds with all combos to beat the 2 minute time trial for her), black rabite has no difficulty requirement so technically one could beat it on beginner, and you'll have to play through three times to see all the stories (and have all of the 6 characters in your party at least once). The li'l cactus locations are probably the hardest part but they're all in zones you can always revisit so you'll just have to use a guide if you can't find the last few (in many spots they're kinda obvious). And if you use NG+ with the +300% XP ability getting to level 99 is easy (but you don't even need that, as noted).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Phantasium posted:

I got the 200 chests trophy to pop in my last game session hunting down Benevodons and have not completed the game yet so unless the trophy bugged (which to be fair, seems to be happening for a few of them according to some people in the thread?) there should be more than 200.

Oh there it is. First time scanning I only saw the 100 one in my earned achievements.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Angela just responded to herself after meeting Salamando.

"We should go to Blahblah Forest southeast of Altena."
"I've never been to Blahblah Forest, sounds interesting!"

I love her

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Angela not liking Fiegmund because it’s a gross lizard was funny. Also Charlotte calling everyone else babies when fighting Dolan was probably my favourite bit of banter.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
One thing I'm really conflicted about is how there's way too many passive damage boost abilities with really easy conditionals. It works fine on the first play through when your ability menu isn't filled with npc and inherited endgame character chain abilities and it's possible to stack +damage and still leave room for secodary gimmick abilities. But on my new game+ playthrough both my Hawkeye and Edelfrei Duran just ignored all of their character gimmicks completely and my ability setup for both of them ended up as one mp and cs generator, broken lines for def down, the party wide attack boosts and the rest just all in on stacked +25-40% damage/crit chance/crit damage abilities.

Like my endgame Edelfrei Duran had no room for attack saber or weak point or guard saber since I had enough +damage abilities with easier conditionals that it was more optimal to just stack those and play him like a duelist than faffing about with saber magic beyond the basic level. My Nomad Hawkeye was similar, with a heavier focus on +crit stuff than +attack, but again no room for toxic or enhanced effect, or anything really interesting, since bosses are status immune, and trash mobs died just fine to less fiddly damage boosts.

On my third playthrough I decided to completely ignore every ability that did nothing interesing except boost damage, and then I had the opposite problem of having a hard time finding anything useful that wasn't just some way of boosting damage. And toxic and enhanced effect proved useless again, since poison is a boring useless status effect that does basically nothing but enable enhanced effect, which is just a big damage boost against trash that's vulnerable against status effects and dies to a single combo from an endgame character anyways. The only way that I could find anything interesting to slot into my abilities was keeping both lucky finds slotted at all times and to go all in on cs generation and stat up/down modifier effects like inherited hard ricochet and stat down resistance all and so on.

I think the game could have benefited from cutting the tier 1 and tier 3 versions of every damage boost ability, or not allowing you to stack different tiers of the same ability on the same character. That way you could maybe actually have interesting endgame builds that are not just mp/cs generator and +maximum damage (maybe with a conditional that is just passively always true) all the time.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Huh apparently the Dark Lich here could be the same one from Secret of Mana.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Oo Koo posted:

One thing I'm really conflicted about is how there's way too many passive damage boost abilities with really easy conditionals. It works fine on the first play through when your ability menu isn't filled with npc and inherited endgame character chain abilities and it's possible to stack +damage and still leave room for secodary gimmick abilities. But on my new game+ playthrough both my Hawkeye and Edelfrei Duran just ignored all of their character gimmicks completely and my ability setup for both of them ended up as one mp and cs generator, broken lines for def down, the party wide attack boosts and the rest just all in on stacked +25-40% damage/crit chance/crit damage abilities.

Like my endgame Edelfrei Duran had no room for attack saber or weak point or guard saber since I had enough +damage abilities with easier conditionals that it was more optimal to just stack those and play him like a duelist than faffing about with saber magic beyond the basic level. My Nomad Hawkeye was similar, with a heavier focus on +crit stuff than +attack, but again no room for toxic or enhanced effect, or anything really interesting, since bosses are status immune, and trash mobs died just fine to less fiddly damage boosts.

On my third playthrough I decided to completely ignore every ability that did nothing interesing except boost damage, and then I had the opposite problem of having a hard time finding anything useful that wasn't just some way of boosting damage. And toxic and enhanced effect proved useless again, since poison is a boring useless status effect that does basically nothing but enable enhanced effect, which is just a big damage boost against trash that's vulnerable against status effects and dies to a single combo from an endgame character anyways. The only way that I could find anything interesting to slot into my abilities was keeping both lucky finds slotted at all times and to go all in on cs generation and stat up/down modifier effects like inherited hard ricochet and stat down resistance all and so on.

I think the game could have benefited from cutting the tier 1 and tier 3 versions of every damage boost ability, or not allowing you to stack different tiers of the same ability on the same character. That way you could maybe actually have interesting endgame builds that are not just mp/cs generator and +maximum damage (maybe with a conditional that is just passively always true) all the time.

To be fair, all of that is largely a NG+ problem. In a normal game, the system works out pretty good and adds a real element to team building, trying to figure out the best ways to earn and stack abilities across characters. NG+ ability stacking gets silly but I'm not gonna hold the fact that by the time you get to your final playthrough you only have so many arms to hold ALL THESE GUNS that just exist to go even further beyond. You're not going to have MP 0 or 200% CS at fight start for any significant part of Playthrough 1 to be fretting space for them in the middle of an 6 DPS modifier pileup.

If there's any post-release support for Trials (like, any at all) maybe they'll add a new difficulty intended to be played through with NG+ abilities, but even then it'd be pretty hard to balance that with any kind of reasonable success since poo poo like Unlimited Tier 3 Elemental Spells regardless of party and 300% Experience exist and would break any curve not built specifically around them.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Mr. Locke posted:

To be fair, all of that is largely a NG+ problem. In a normal game, the system works out pretty good and adds a real element to team building, trying to figure out the best ways to earn and stack abilities across characters. NG+ ability stacking gets silly but I'm not gonna hold the fact that by the time you get to your final playthrough you only have so many arms to hold ALL THESE GUNS that just exist to go even further beyond. You're not going to have MP 0 or 200% CS at fight start for any significant part of Playthrough 1 to be fretting space for them in the middle of an 6 DPS modifier pileup.

That’s my opinion as well. The systems completely break down in NG+ on more than one level, but that’s the fault of NG+ not being designed to accommodate them.

Mr. Locke posted:

If there's any post-release support for Trials (like, any at all) maybe they'll add a new difficulty intended to be played through with NG+ abilities, but even then it'd be pretty hard to balance that with any kind of reasonable success since poo poo like Unlimited Tier 3 Elemental Spells regardless of party and 300% Experience exist and would break any curve not built specifically around them.

I think they could just block inheritance of the silliest chain abilities and prevent weak enemies from giving experience (ideally on a curve). Balancing the game to be harder in general without turning it into a slog for most parties or making the AI a horrible liability won’t be trivial, though, even before NG+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mr. Locke posted:

... I wish you all the luck in the world with Zable Fahr, I really do.

Eh, they ended up being pretty easy. Spin Slash and Light Saber will do that.

Currently getting my poo poo pushed in by the Darkshine Knight though, which under these conditions has turned into a character action game duel. It actually makes me really appreciate how well enemies in this game give coherent tells, even aside from the obvious red damage zones.