Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream
https://www.indiewire.com/2020/05/nicolas-cage-joe-exotic-tiger-king-tv-series-1202229161/

Cage as the Tiger King. Not sure who is more batshit crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gross.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Milo and POTUS posted:

What fancy dress?

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

The rare case of perfect casting.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Westworld might work better as a sequence of perfume adverts

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I watched the jack and yahtzee program
don't watch the jack and yahtzee program

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I actually got bored watching westworld finale last night and ended up playing cod:warzone (and sucking) at the same time. I think I got the gist of the show though!

First half of the season was good but it really dropped off. I think partly it is I am so used to these prestige sci fi shows ending up with the the shittiest possible ending for most people so the stakes are already predetermined. Meta!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Cubone posted:

I don't watch that and could have told you not to watch that

swbm
May 4, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
any updates on the tumtum front

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

KakerMix posted:

I don't watch that and could have told you not to watch that

yeah but I can never tell what you guys really think because this thread has so many weird inside jokes like pretending josh is bad

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Cubone posted:

The first episode was so painful I had to turn it off halfway through. In the comments the Escapist folks were saying that while the first episode was a little rough they were working out the kinks and it would get better.

I'm assuming it didn't. (Which makes sense, as the entire premise of the show is awful.)

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Yahtzee supposedly hates seppos for some reason, so it can never be better than C- if he actively hates his colleague.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I got a couple good laughs over Bernard's absolute refusal to fix Stubbs. "yeah, yeah, I'll get to it in a couple hours, it's number twelve or thirteen on my to do list" oops you bled to death in a tub

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

swbm posted:

any updates on the tumtum front

You registered just to post that?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Communist Walrus posted:

I got a couple good laughs over Bernard's absolute refusal to fix Stubbs. "yeah, yeah, I'll get to it in a couple hours, it's number twelve or thirteen on my to do list" oops you bled to death in a tub

Still don’t really understand the mechanics of host injuries.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
unfortunately the annual Milwaukee Tums Festival has been CANCELLED due to the coronavirus

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Hillary 2020 posted:

You registered just to post that?

They started registering back in 2010 it's been quite the journey for them and unfortunately tum jokes haven't made the trip to this decade along with them.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

priznat posted:

They matter exactly as much as the plot needs them to.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

priznat posted:

I actually got bored watching westworld finale last night and ended up playing cod:warzone (and sucking) at the same time. I think I got the gist of the show though!

First half of the season was good but it really dropped off. I think partly it is I am so used to these prestige sci fi shows ending up with the the shittiest possible ending for most people so the stakes are already predetermined. Meta!

Naw, the shittiest possible ending would've been PSYCHE!!! YOU'RE IN FUTURE WORLD / THE MATRIX / VIRTUAL REALITY!!!

I'm surprised that a lot of people hate it. I guess it's just my jam. I just hope Evan Rachel Wood didn't just get written off the show. :ohdear:

priznat posted:

Hosts can always be fixed or replaced, as long as the ball inside their head works (or there's a backup copy of it).

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

LabyaMynora posted:

Hosts can always be fixed or replaced, as long as the ball inside their head works (or there's a backup copy of it).

I think he's referring to how arbitrary the severity of injuries is. Maeve can sometimes brush off gunshots like they're nothing, but then Dolores is apparently able to beat her into submission with her fists. Dolores can absorb infinite damage, except when she can't. Hale can shrug off gunshots and carbombs and having third degree burns all over her body, but we've seen hosts die from much less. There's a glaring lack of consistency that makes it difficult for the viewer to figure out what the stakes are in a given fight or, like what he mentioned, why Stubbs is at risk of dying from his injury.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Communist Walrus posted:

I think he's referring to how arbitrary the severity of injuries is. Maeve can sometimes brush off gunshots like they're nothing, but then Dolores is apparently able to beat her into submission with her fists. Dolores can absorb infinite damage, except when she can't. Hale can shrug off gunshots and carbombs and having third degree burns all over her body, but we've seen hosts die from much less. There's a glaring lack of consistency that makes it difficult for the viewer to figure out what the stakes are in a given fight.

Yeah totally this. I think it is as the poster above mentioned, purely to serve what is happening with the plot currently.

It does really wreak havoc with the stakes for sure. A lot could be explained away by host physiology (ie critical bit is located here, can’t lose too much motor oil blood or whatever) but it’s pretty vague and varies a lot.

Plus being able to bring back anyone who doesn’t have their pearl crushed and even then they could have had a backup someplace..

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Communist Walrus posted:

I think he's referring to how arbitrary the severity of injuries is. Maeve can sometimes brush off gunshots like they're nothing, but then Dolores is apparently able to beat her into submission with her fists. Dolores can absorb infinite damage, except when she can't. Hale can shrug off gunshots and carbombs and having third degree burns all over her body, but we've seen hosts die from much less. There's a glaring lack of consistency that makes it difficult for the viewer to figure out what the stakes are in a given fight or, like what he mentioned, why Stubbs is at risk of dying from his injury.

These are fair criticisms, but a big part of it is the host's "Pain Tolerance" or whatever setting in their programming. I recently rewatched S1, so it's a bit fresher in my mind, but there's a point where Maeve gets a tablet and jacks with her settings so she can shrug off bullets and what not. I assume Dolores and fake-Hale have the same thing going on. But the whole "bullets are shrugged off, but fists are OP" thing is just schlocky action tropes in a million TV shows and movies. No one who writes for TV/movies knows how loving devastating bullets can be. :shrug:

As for Stubbs, I'm pretty sure he was dying 'cuz he's losing "blood," or whatever that red fluid is for hosts. He'll get resurrected in S4 similar to how the Man in Black drained Lawrence to revive Teddy in S1.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

LabyaMynora posted:

These are fair criticisms, but a big part of it is the host's "Pain Tolerance" or whatever setting in their programming. I recently rewatched S1, so it's a bit fresher in my mind, but there's a point where Maeve gets a tablet and jacks with her settings so she can shrug off bullets and what not. I assume Dolores and fake-Hale have the same thing going on. But the whole "bullets are shrugged off, but fists are OP" thing is just schlocky action tropes in a million TV shows and movies. No one who writes for TV/movies knows how loving devastating bullets can be. :shrug:

As for Stubbs, I'm pretty sure he was dying 'cuz he's losing "blood," or whatever that red fluid is for hosts. He'll get resurrected in S4 similar to how the Man in Black drained Lawrence to revive Teddy in S1.

All of these nu-transhumanist shows are kinda lame because they remove any actual stakes since everyone can be downloaded, backed up, copied or re-sleeved

I know that's the point, but I just don't care once they pull that trick too many times

Even the orbs in WW can be re-printed so that's not a 'final death'

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

priznat posted:

Didn't you see Dolores terminator skeleton? It's stronger than a katana. Bullets just go through it. Tits and rear end are like decoration you put it on when you feel like it. Nothing matters.

And also has nothing to do with the slow muscle printing montage in the S1 openning credit.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 4, 2020

Cubone
May 26, 2011

LanceHunter posted:

The first episode was so painful I had to turn it off halfway through. In the comments the Escapist folks were saying that while the first episode was a little rough they were working out the kinks and it would get better.

I'm assuming it didn't. (Which makes sense, as the entire premise of the show is awful.)
yeah

it's a debate show, and neither of them gives a poo poo
yahtzee is too jaded and misanthropic to care what you think, and jack is just happy to be there

and they're randomly assigned their positions by coin flip, which is a literal debate club exercise meant to sharpen your rhetorical skills (assuming you have any interest in winning)

so it's ten minutes of yahtzee saying something he knows is ridiculous, awkwardly acknowledging that it's ridiculous so nobody thinks he's doing it out of anything other than professional obligation, and jack doing a david letterman-laugh in response

this last episode ended with them laughingly agreeing about how awful the comments are going to be because of all the people who actually care about the topic at hand

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Cubone posted:

yeah

it's a debate show, and neither of them gives a poo poo
yahtzee is too jaded and misanthropic to care what you think, and jack is just happy to be there

and they're randomly assigned their positions by coin flip, which is a literal debate club exercise meant to sharpen your rhetorical skills (assuming you have any interest in winning)

so it's ten minutes of yahtzee saying something he knows is ridiculous, awkwardly acknowledging that it's ridiculous so nobody thinks he's doing it out of anything other than professional obligation, and jack doing a david letterman-laugh in response

this last episode ended with them laughingly agreeing about how awful the comments are going to be because of all the people who actually care about the topic at hand

Having people represent positions they don't even believe in - especially if it's about BIDEYO JAYMES!!@! - sounds absolutely, mind-numbingly tedious.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

Didn't you see Dolores terminator skeleton? It's stronger than a katana. Bullets just go through it. Tits and rear end are like decoration you put it on when you feel like it. Nothing matters.

And also has nothing to do with the slow muscle printing montage in the S1 openning credit.

Yeah! I was like what happened to the white muscles and stuff? The intro credits are still pretty great though.

It’s funny because even though I was getting bored during the finale I was thinking beforehand how much worse the season could have been if they had to pad it out to 13 episodes.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I listened to the first five minues of their Doom "debate". Their best, leading arguments for which of the Doom games is better were "Doom 2016 is better because it was released first" and "Doom Eternal is better because it's longer and more is mathematically better than less"

You could tune in to random 13 year old's Youtube channel for insights miles ahead of that absolute deprived drivel.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

priznat posted:

Yeah! I was like what happened to the white muscles and stuff? The intro credits are still pretty great though.

It’s funny because even though I was getting bored during the finale I was thinking beforehand how much worse the season could have been if they had to pad it out to 13 episodes.

It was her original body, when Ford and Arnold first built her. I guess they'd kept it in storage in a Delos facility after its 'retirement' and she was moved into a new biological-y body?

I mean, they explicitly showed her in that original all-mechanical body back in season 1?

Uh, were people actually confused about this? She even sasses Maeve while they're fighting, saying they used to be built to last, before they were made weaker (the white goo version) to be more human-like.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

priznat posted:

They address this in either season 1 or season 2, and briefly bring it up again in the season 3 finale during the fight with Maeve. Dolores is a first generation model that was made to last, whereas basically all the other hosts are newer versions that are less durable but somehow more cost effective to make.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh I missed that, sorry ya’ll.

While I enjoy the show I don’t really pay a lot of attention to it when watching I find. Unlike Devs where I was captivated by it from the start, and would watch it distraction-free. I love those weird shows from FX it seems (Legion as well)

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

drat westworld sounds dumb as poo poo and very boring

just like my posts!!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

LabyaMynora posted:

Having people represent positions they don't even believe in - especially if it's about BIDEYO JAYMES!!@! - sounds absolutely, mind-numbingly tedious.
arguing for positions you don't have about video games is fun, I do it all the time

for example, the sneering punk version of dante from the devil may cry remake is cooler than the lame white-haired original with his stupid anime flips and pea shooter guns and wanting to fill your dark soul with li-ight

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Zelda II is the best zelda

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Cubone posted:

arguing for positions you don't have about video games is fun, I do it all the time

for example, the sneering punk version of dante from the devil may cry remake is cooler than the lame white-haired original with his stupid anime flips and pea shooter guns and wanting to fill your dark soul with li-ight

DmC is the only Devil May Cry game I ever played.

It was alright.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Communist Walrus posted:

I complained about this when S1 was airing and it hasn't changed. The hosts work however the writers need them to work at the moment, sometimes they get their heads blown clean off Scanners style and are re-assembled and back to work the next day, sometimes somebody shoves a roto rooter up their nose and they're dead for good (but not really). So it doesn't matter how the hosts work, and making any part of the story hinge on that is dumb because there aren't really any consistent rules for it.

You can pull that poo poo in Dr. Who, where no one cares how anything functions from episode to episode, because the show isn't taking any of it seriously and it doesn't matter to the stories being told, but WW bills itself as very serious prestige TV and at least initially much of the plot revolved around how the hosts functioned and learned, so someone ought to give a poo poo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Spoiler: it's total shite

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/OnePerfectShot/status/1257339271591198722

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzdDkebmrno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU