Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah, I knew enough people who would react to any whisper of an AIDS vaccine breakthrough with "HELL YEAH BABY THE SIXTIES ARE BACK!" (straights, of course) to think that this will not change public demand or desire to go to a movie or a bar. It might well break the back of the movie theater industry as we know it to some extent, but that is a different story... you could still have "movie theaters" in various key locations even if they're ultimately just destination presentation spaces. The Alamo Drafthouse conquers.

I do expect Americans will start wearing paper masks in the winter like in Asia, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah, to use your example, a more reasonable prediction is something like "movie theaters will be forever changed with poo poo like Alamo and giant Imax poo poo, and also weird indie theaters, surviving, and things like a Regal or whatever might die or have to change and who knows?"

That's at least based in something, while saying "movie theaters as a concept are going to die" is just weird. People said that about stage shows a hundred years ago. Don't be weird.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Boonoo posted:

I think there’s going to be enough pent up demand that once things like that are open again they’ll see business.
Literally the only thing stopping me from spending the entire afternoon in a pub and then going straight on to a restaurant for dinner on the very day they all open back up again will be the fact that absolutely every one of them is going to be packed to capacity for, like, two months solid.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Nessus posted:

I do expect Americans will start wearing paper masks in the winter like in Asia, though.
Yeah that's certainly not going to happen.

The absolute best case scenario will be a few more people wearing balaclavas that cover the nose and mouth

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cheesus posted:

Yeah that's certainly not going to happen.

The absolute best case scenario will be a few more people wearing balaclavas that cover the nose and mouth
Given the sheer quantity of screaming about masks I have seen I am not so sure they will be so easily left behind. That said I did misremember just how god drat spread out Americans are, despite the constant reminders in every single possible channel of media about people in the Midwest.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Beyond being a new addition to every prepper's arsenal, I doubt we'll see the uptake of masks in the West to the same extent as Asia. I see less masks worn here in London during a pandemic than I do on a regular Tuesday in Tokyo. There is a strong underlying cultural and social apparatus that supports mask use in Asia that isn't really present here so much, plus multiple consecutive pandemic scares, pollution issues, population density and so on.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

Not gonna change the conceptual space of restaurants or bars I'd fully it admit. I don't think people are going to stop eating and drinking booze.

Any individual restaurant or bar is not in a great place now and this might have weird and unpredictable effects on how bars and restaurants are managed later, possibly? Now we're talking.

For example, spinning out a totally random toy example just for discussion not cause I think it's probable but enh I guess possible off the cuff : high-end restaurants have managed to hold on because of invested capital and sunk-costs, take-out places are still doing fine, but anything in the middle is some version of hosed over and this leads to long term changes that I couldn't even predict like, for instance, a total vacuum that can be filled and everyone clamors for it or a loving graveyard that no one touches.

Everything that fails will get replaced by the exact same thing most likely. Then...that fails and yet another wave of hopeful entrepreneurs steps in like an ever changing row of shark teeth. By the 4th wave you might see some permanent changes. I just remember how restaurateurs kept trying to time the end of the Great Recession and opening up businesses thinking everything was on the upswing only to fail 3 months later.

Watching sports is going to see some changes. Like if baseball comes back, but without spectators in the stands, then people are going to crowd sports bars even more than usual. But if social distancing restricts the number of people in an establishment, then another outlet will be created. Maybe someone will figure out the legality of creating pop-up tailgate parties where they open up in an empty lot and sell beer and brats and show the game on a large projector.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Interrupting COVID talk to post about a reference lost on me. In the book Dark Reflections, Arnold and Judy are getting married - but first Arnold has to stop into a clinic to “get his Wasserman test done”. Turns out before 1980 you were required to get a swab jammed up your dong to check for syphilis before you could get married. Maybe this isn’t lost on some people since Montana was still doing blood tests for women in 2019, but I didn’t know about it.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm pretty sure it was a blood test. The cover story most people were told was it was to make sure their blood types were compatible, not to check for diseases.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Ah yeah you’re right, I went back and checked - he gets a full test done while he’s there but the required one is just blood. It still struck me as really odd and archaic. And they lied about the reason? So weird.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My impression is people didn't really like talking about what the blood test was really for. People knew (like doctors didn't lie) but if you were having casual conversations with people it was totally to make sure their blood types were compatible.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think it also rested on the amusing presumption that the engaged couple hadn't had sex yet.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Krispy Wafer posted:

Maybe someone will figure out the legality of creating pop-up tailgate parties where they open up in an empty lot and sell beer and brats and show the game on a large projector.

Drive-in movie theaters are something lost on modern audiences, but are gonna make mad bank if they come back, especially if they run with your idea of showing concerts, sporting events, and such. Already read about a couple places in Florida that are cleaning up nicely right now showing "re-runs" like Back to Future, Jurassic Park, etc (and one that was super sweet and offered their place up, free of charge, for any high school that wanted to hold graduations there --- everybody parks, then they show pics of the students on the big screen :kimchi:).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We've got a drive-thru in my town that was re-opened by a company that bills itself as "the largest drive-in theater chain in the world" with a staggering... seven locations!

zzuupp
Jan 2, 2012

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Drive-in movie theaters are something lost on modern audiences, but are gonna make mad bank if they come back, especially if they run with your idea of showing concerts, sporting events, and such. Already read about a couple places in Florida that are cleaning up nicely right now showing "re-runs" like Back to Future, Jurassic Park, etc (and one that was super sweet and offered their place up, free of charge, for any high school that wanted to hold graduations there --- everybody parks, then they show pics of the students on the big screen :kimchi:).

They are still around what few that are left. The Shenandoah valley in VA seems to be relatively overpopulated with 'em.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Leperflesh posted:

I think it also rested on the amusing presumption that the engaged couple hadn't had sex yet.

Yet at the same time recognising that they probably had sex with other people before that, or it wouldn't be necessary to test...

To be fair, getting tested before starting any monogamous (or mostly-monogamous) sexual relationship is like sexual health 101. Also to be fair, the US is particularly bad at both teaching and practising sexual health 101.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Ah yeah you’re right, I went back and checked - he gets a full test done while he’s there but the required one is just blood. It still struck me as really odd and archaic. And they lied about the reason? So weird.

It was incredibly wacky when I got my blood test done in Georgia in 2001. They still only required syphilis although by 2001 of course there were much nastier STDs by then (AIDS being #1 with a bullet).

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

My local town in Germany has opened up a vacant site & put up a stage for comedy evenings throughout April & May. It's drive-in only, with a maximum of two people per car. You sit there & watch the comedian live on stage & on a big screen, but you tune in to a specific FM frequency to hear the gig.

Instead of clapping, all you hear from a distance is a random chorus of car horns. You can always tell when a joke falls flat, as there's only a half-hearted 'honk'. Must be really weird for the performers, though, since there can't be anything like the feedback you'd get in a club. How does anyone heckle?

Anyway, it seems to be working. On most nights so far it's been more or less full: 300 cars at €60 per car. It could catch on...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Frazzbo posted:

Instead of clapping, all you hear from a distance is a random chorus of car horns. You can always tell when a joke falls flat, as there's only a half-hearted 'honk'. Must be really weird for the performers, though, since there can't be anything like the feedback you'd get in a club. How does anyone heckle?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ulmont posted:

It was incredibly wacky when I got my blood test done in Georgia in 2001. They still only required syphilis although by 2001 of course there were much nastier STDs by then (AIDS being #1 with a bullet).

They shot people with aids?!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Milo and POTUS posted:

They shot people with aids?!

The lost references are coming from within the thread!

quote:

(of a hit record) that has entered the charts in a high position, or has climbed rapidly in the charts, or is thought to have the potential for further rapid advancement
"Crying" has moved up again and is now Number 7 with a bullet on the Cashbox Top 100 chart!!"
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/with_a_bullet

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Useless trivia:

In 1975, there was a song called "Eighteen With a Bullet". It would peak on the Billboard Hot 100 at eighteen. With a bullet.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

The Rustic theater in RI never closed, I predict they're going to have a banner year

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Frazzbo posted:

How does anyone heckle?

Police surplus loudspeaker

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I was walking this afternoon and my music shuffled to Offspring's Walla Walla, which has a reference with a real shifting value.

That car looked so tempting, so easy to drive
Just like that apartment that you burglarized
You started to run, but didn't get far
Cause under your arm was a VCR

This dude's awful. That's at least $250 for that VCR.

It's not the most dated reference on that album. That might go to Pretty Fly For a White Guy for suggesting the white guy go on the Ricki Lake Show.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

Police surplus loudspeaker

If you ever get the chance to yell at someone over a police or ambulance loudspeaker, take it. It’s so much goddamn fun.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If you ever get the chance to yell at someone over a police or ambulance loudspeaker, take it. It’s so much goddamn fun.

My middle school band director had a CB as well as speakers under the hood that he’d use to offer commentary on other drivers in town:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Frazzbo posted:

Ha, that's interesting. I was just talking to my husband today about how late nite show hosts have been dealing with the lack of a live studio audience. John Oliver is rolling with it well, I think; he keeps up his patter with just a teensy bit of a pause after a joke so you can chuckle or lol, then moves right along. On the other hand, Stephen Colbert, much as I love him, still puts these looooong pauses after his bon mots as if a crowd of hundreds is still hooting and laughing right there for few good seconds. So if it's a joke that really only deserves a "heh" than a long belly laugh, it is awkward as hell to watch.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

There was a hilarious line in some old film I saw once (don't remember what), that was something along the lines of "We can't have those two sharing a bed, they're only engaged after all."

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's the sure signs of a lasting marriage

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

quote:

...pretty fly for a white guy...

the idea that certain tastes are only for certain skin colors

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Greg12 posted:

Colourblind racism.

Oh wait, no, that's still here, and not going away any time soon. :(

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Greg12 posted:

Is this a warm-up to an argument about who's allowed to say the n-word?

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
I just watched The Wire (2002-2008) for the first time recently and there's a short arc where after one of the detectives learns what texting is, he proposes identifying the villain's cell phone by checking who was texting in the area at that time. His partner scoffs and asks him, "Do you have any idea how many people in the country are texting at a time? It must be thousands!!"

Later, they go to the phone company, and are floored when the representative tells them that with a subpoena, they can obtain every single text message that someone has sent in the last month.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Greg12 posted:

Eh...

The song isn't really about a white guy who likes stuff "for black people." It's about a clueless white guy emulating what he thinks "black culture" is. For example, "he needs some cool times tunes, not just any will suffice, but they didn't have Ice Cube, so he bought Vanilla Ice."

There's also the fact that the song calls him a wannabe who's faking at being cool.

But hey, hey, do that brand new thing.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

wizzardstaff posted:

Is this a warm-up to an argument about who's allowed to say the n-word?

nah

A racist song mocking white people who don't "act right" by only listening to distortion guitar music will probably seem as strange as Pat Boone covering songs by objectively better black singers seems to us. So will a song, racist or otherwise, mocking people for being "trendy" and doing that brand new thing.

also I thought that song was mocking white guys who act chicano (and latino people by extension) because the chorus seemed so stupid and racist that I never listened to the verses, because they're from Orange County, and because "uno dos tres quattro cinco cinco seis," so what the gently caress do I know?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yet at the same time recognising that they probably had sex with other people before that, or it wouldn't be necessary to test...

To be fair, getting tested before starting any monogamous (or mostly-monogamous) sexual relationship is like sexual health 101. Also to be fair, the US is particularly bad at both teaching and practising sexual health 101.

Yeah the Olden Times presumption is that the couple hasn't had sex with one another yet, and therefore, both are presuming virginity of the other, and the test will determine if one of them lied and in so doing, got a disease. Of course either could have gotten tested for syphilis or whatever beforehand, if they had had premarital sex and not lied about it, but the test is protecting both parties in the nuptials from the potentially deadly lie and disease of the other.

It all rests on the premise that the test isn't too late to matter, e.g., the couple hasn't hosed yet.

And otherwise, getting tested for "VD" (especially by men, when talking to their male doctors, esp. soldiers coming home from war etc.) was totally a thing, but prior to AIDS, most anything you could get was non-deadly. The "free love" period of the 70s was fully killed in the 1980s by the sudden realization that promiscuity could legit kill you. The promotion of the principle of getting tested before having sex with a new partner that came out of the AIDS epidemic has fully infiltrated society to the point where you call it 'sexual health 101', rightly so; before the mid '80s, it totally wasn't though. The presumption was that decent folk didn't sleep around and didn't have VD.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It’s a song about a guy who’s trying to act cool without understanding any of the stuff that he thinks is cool. You’re really trying to force a specific intent to it by saying stuff like

Greg12 posted:

nah

A racist song mocking white people who don't "act right" by only listening to distortion guitar music

The whole point is that he has no idea what he’s doing, not that white people shouldnt listen to rap.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Greg12 posted:

A racist song mocking white people who don't "act right" by only listening to distortion guitar music will probably seem as strange as Pat Boone covering songs by objectively better black singers seems to us.

https://youtu.be/jvlt6POm-lc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You could also have congenital syphilis, for example. That was the ostensible reason for testing and often the actual reason. Even if you were already loving and both had it, they wanted to test you and cure you before you started making babies. Because babies with syphilis can be hosed up in a wide variety of ways, and often just dead.