Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Im not drinking her iced tea anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Amanda Palmer once tried to do a national tour and get local bands to open for her "for exposure."

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

Amanda Palmer once tried to do a national tour and get local bands to open for her "for exposure."

I thought it was not paying her backing musicians, not the openers. Both are hosed but not paying her backing musicians feels even more ridiculous to me.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

She also had a flash mob wedding she is the worst

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

jjack229 posted:

If the contact with strangers while grocery shopping is the same as the contact with a partner during sex, then I am doing at least one of those two things wrong.

As a grocery store clerk strangers are definitely getting really intimate and putting their fluids all over me until they get what they want and leave, so yeah it’s pretty similar.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I thought it was not paying her backing musicians, not the openers. Both are hosed but not paying her backing musicians feels even more ridiculous to me.

Oh yeah, I was misremembering. Holy gently caress she's terrible.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Krowley posted:

She also had a flash mob wedding she is the worst

What does this mean...

Wait, do I want to know?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

T-man posted:

Im not drinking her iced tea anymore

Or watching that old Twin Peaks show she was in.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

She’s simply irresistible!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Powered Descent posted:

I'm sure as hell not taking a pilgrimage to the Holy Land and bringing back a palm leaf

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

goatsestretchgoals posted:

You’re dumb and bad but maybe you never learned how to spell the words street and fighter.

E: This movie was good enough that it managed to kill M. Tyson M. Bison

In all sincerity, the moment I realized there was a lot that presaged current comic book movies in Mortal Kombat, I knew I needed to rewatch Street Fighter and the first TMT films for the same reason.

Speaking of creative derivation, of the army of moody artist women singer-songwriters spawned by Kate Bush, Amanda Palmer is the worst, right?

x ampersand oh
Apr 20, 2006

no comment
None of these things are true, for the record.

1. She is not a terf, period end of story (There is a song called "Sex Changes" but that is about sex... changing.. things. Not gender reassignment. )

2. She did not have a flash mob wedding? She was married at Michael Chabon's house, for starters with a bunch of other famous authors there.
(Yes it's true that I'm an old school fan of hers but I only remember this bc I was doing a news blog for a record store when she got married and I wrote an article on it.)

3. The "did not pay her band" story is actually completely distorted and false:
She HAD a touring band. A paid touring band. The same band she made that album with.
She HAD opening acts. They were paid, too.

What she wanted was at every city on that tour for random local musicians to come up on stage and play with her and her band during the main concert as a big interactive experience. For fun. On a volunteer basis. it was just a last minute idea of an extra thing to add to the shows.

When other people said "hey we know you came up in this sort of diy punk communal hippy crashing concerts for free sort of way but in this day and age it sets bad precedent to not pay artists for any reason" she understood and made smaller, paid arrangements but by this point in time the internet blew the whole thing out of proportion and made up this whole exaggeration that isn't even how it happened and now this story gets spread around each and every time her name is mentioned and maybe we can stop doing that?

And now I've gone and used up my "one post every ten years", thanks a lot.

x ampersand oh has a new favorite as of 22:20 on May 4, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

x ampersand oh posted:

1. She is not a terf, period end of story (There is a song called "Sex Changes" but that is about sex... changing.. things. Not gender reassignment. )

2. She did not have a flash mob wedding. She was married at Michael Chabon's house, for starters with a bunch of other famous authors there.

3. The "did not pay her band" story is actually completely distorted and false:
She HAD a touring band. A paid touring band. The same band she made that album with.
She HAD opening acts. They were paid, too.

What she wanted was at every city on that tour for random local musicians to come up on stage and play with her and her band during the main concert as a big interactive experience. For fun. On a volunteer basis. it was just a last minute idea of an extra thing to add to the shows.

When other people said "hey we know you came up in this sort of diy punk communal hippy crashing concerts for free sort of way but in this day and age it sets bad precedent to not pay artists for any reason" she understood and made smaller, paid arrangements but by this point in time the internet blew the whole thing out of proportion and made up this whole exaggeration that isn't even how it happened and now this story gets spread around each and every time her name is mentioned and maybe we can stop doing that?

Amanda Palmer account spotted

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

x ampersand oh posted:

the internet blew the whole thing out of proportion and made up this whole exaggeration that isn't even how it happened and now this story gets spread around each and every time

That doesn't sound like the internet at all!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

“Sex Changes”, a song definitely about nothing but loving, which opens up with

Dear Mr. and or Mrs. sender
We're pleased to inform you that your application's been accepted
Starting from the time you get this letter
Your life will be one never-ending "hope you're feeling better"
You get your choice of an aesthetic
Ah we need to chop your clock off tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock
It might not be what you expected
There is no money back once you've been ripped off, ripped off, ripped off
Today's a very special day
The boys'll murder for it but what will the neighbors say?
It leaves you feeling pretty hollow it might be nice to look at
Don't forget you're stuck with it tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

chitoryu12 posted:

<TERF poo poo>

x ampersand oh posted:

please stick with that schedule, tia

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

"we need to chop your clock off", definitely a real thing that people say to refer to, idk, something non-trans related

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

x ampersand oh posted:

Wasn't her whole deal in "The Art of Asking" about how cool she was for doing that? I quite like her Theatre is Evil album, but she is kind of a poo poo.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

x ampersand oh posted:

I know nothing about Amanda Palmer, I wonder what that song-

chitoryu12 posted:

:yikes:

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Come on, guys. The post opened with:

x ampersand oh posted:

No need to debunk something that was meant to be complete nonsense.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Neil Gaiman wrote pretty good stuff, and did a good job of chaperoning Good Omens into an awesome miniseries. He's also done a lot of smaller awesome stuff for absolutely no good reason. I haven't read any of his work beyond.... Smoke and Mirrors, I think? Could be he's gotten really terrible.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Lol the band thing was Amanda Palmer being too cheap to hire touring horn players for just a few songs per show so she wanted “professional volunteers” in each city

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

TheManWithNoName posted:

Lol the band thing was Amanda Palmer being too cheap to hire touring horn players for just a few songs per show so she wanted “professional volunteers” in each city

Sounds like she was just asking people to horn in on her set

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Sounds like she was just asking people to horn in on her set

Well a lot of her stuff has sexual themes, it's not unfair to expect people to be horny

x ampersand oh
Apr 20, 2006

no comment
Boy do I wish I had stuck to just debunking the "didn't pay her band' thing because Heck Yeah I express myself really poorly and that is why I am professional lurker.

And i really do wish I hadn't brought up the song or dismissed it so harmlessly. I was angry at People On The Internet and wanted to vent and was careless.

"Sex Changes" is a complicated situation but considering the rest of the song concentrates on abortion and domestic violence and sex from a decidedly cishetero standpoint, yes those lyrics are supposed to sound like they are about one thing when they are actually about another. Did she accidentally write transphobic sounding lyrics when she thought she was being clever about something unrelated? Yes and that's bad. I don't even know if she can apologize enough for doing that. But there's a difference between being a narcissist and being actually trans-exclusionary in her stance and politics the latter of which she is not. I really don't blame people for arguing about the song. I'm nb femme queer, btw, so i take it as personally as someone who reads it the opposite way and is not a fan does.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Neil Gaiman wrote pretty good stuff, and did a good job of chaperoning Good Omens into an awesome miniseries. He's also done a lot of smaller awesome stuff for absolutely no good reason. I haven't read any of his work beyond.... Smoke and Mirrors, I think? Could be he's gotten really terrible.
He still gets good reviews, but at this point I don't think it's possible he couldn't unless he committed some serious taboos in the publishing world. If anything his biggest problem is resting too much on his laurels for stuff he wrote 10-30 years ago, then again if I wrote The Graveyard Book and Instructions within a decade I'd feel entitled to chill out and cash in on adaptation money too.

Pity about Palmer. She does have a personality that rubs a lot of people the wrong way, and it does make Gaiman seem like.... like he could have any number of women tripping over themselves to be Mrs. Neil Gaiman, but he sought out someone who genuinely seems to embody the "dick-flattening" meme. I get the feeling a lot of people would throw him a big party if he did cut the cord and leave.

x ampersand oh posted:

"Sex Changes" is a complicated situation but considering the rest of the song concentrates on abortion and domestic violence and sex from a decidedly cishetero standpoint, yes those lyrics are supposed to sound like they are about one thing when they are actually about another. Did she accidentally write transphobic sounding lyrics when she thought she was being clever about something unrelated? Yes and that's bad. I don't even know if she can apologize enough for doing that. But there's a difference between being a narcissist and being actually trans-exclusionary in her stance and politics the latter of which she is not. I really don't blame people for arguing about the song. I'm nb femme queer, btw, so i take it as personally as someone who reads it the opposite way and is not a fan does.
Yeah I could give benefit of the doubt on this, but given how she portrays herself as this headstrong, moralizing alpha bitch it's no surprise people have a very low tolerance for any of her bullshit.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 23:08 on May 4, 2020

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I mean it basically sounds to me like Palmer makes some pretty impulsive bad decisions and then people who don't like her amplify that bc that's the nature of... anti-fandom? I have no defense for Sex Changes and am not even going to try and excuse that, but the real IoSM seem like fans of Gaiman and Palmer going nuts over a breakup.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Having read that Patreon page I'm absolutely reminded of high school relationship drama and yeah I nope'd the gently caress out of the details.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Funny how I finished reading American Gods for the first time just earlier this afternoon.

(Overall pretty decent, though the middle portion where Shadow hides away in the Midwest town could’ve stood to be trimmed down more than a bit, and the ending was a bit anticlimactic)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Here, have some primo incel poo poo.

https://twitter.com/alpharivelino/status/1256697210936463362

https://twitter.com/alpharivelino/status/1257175262644637696

It's a whole thread.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

Funny how I finished reading American Gods for the first time just earlier this afternoon.

(Overall pretty decent, though the middle portion where Shadow hides away in the Midwest town could’ve stood to be trimmed down more than a bit, and the ending was a bit anticlimactic)

Read Anansi Boys next it's like a semi-sequel, and it's probably better.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I really like that one song of hers from Life is Strange.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

Read Anansi Boys next it's like a semi-sequel, and it's probably better.

Planning to, considering I have all of this free time now. :v:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
His recent Norse Mythology is a solid read, and I have never been disappointed with anything he has written (though I do prefer his short stories). Also I will go to bat for Dresden Dolls any time. Palmer does have a personality that rubs a lot of people the wrong way and that's fine. I like some things she does and dislike others. I have been to at least two shows of her and Gaiman where they put on a free live show for fans and those were always a lot of fun.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It really is all about trying to remove humanity from human interaction and reduce it down to a formula, at best.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

https://mobile.twitter.com/alpharivelino/status/1254224637111779332

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

“I’ve been rejected thousands of times, clearly it’s everyone ELSE who’s the problem!”

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

This is such a loving honeypot for people who belong on your block list and watchlists generally.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/alpharivelino/status/1254784750503378951

LOL

Absurd Alhazred has a new favorite as of 00:18 on May 5, 2020

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This is such a loving honeypot for people who belong on your block list and watchlists generally.

Correct, it is a Twitter thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Edit:

https://twitter.com/alpharivelino/status/1254784750503378951

LOL

Fellas is it gay to please other people? Sounds like this is why Rome fell.