Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

Shucks, I made my NA character on Ship 1 before finding this thread. Now that I'm 70 hours in is it possible to transfer my character to Ship 2? Or, in lieu of that, are there any folks playing on Ship 1?

Unfortunately it costs a (presumably significant) amount of money to do a ship transfer. I'd go directly to the discord to ask if anyone's on Ship 1 since the thread doesn't seem to get much traffic at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I had hoped to be playing more than I am, but Covid happened, and I work for the Department of Health, so...

Oh well, one day I'll be able to hit level cap.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

My JP team are playing on ship 1, there's a whopping 5 of us on so far. :v: There's a few other goons playing on 1 as well, the discord would be a good way of finding them.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

PSO2 NA is releasing on PC in May, not sure when, but they seem to think that the game will be ready for release then. There's a lot of TL work that still needs to be done, hope they can fit it all in within a month.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm excited, I feel like I'll have a much better time playing on PC and being able to read the text :v:

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Finally I can understand what those Dragons are yelling at me.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Also, Sega Japan is planning on having both NA PSO2 and JP on the same release schedule within 2020, so by the end of 2020 they are planning on being fully caught up on content with JP, and then do synchronized/simultaneous releases with NA and JP going forward.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSO2/comments/g1ur42/sega_plans_to_catch_up_to_japan_in_2020/

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So why did it takes years to get an english release anyway?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

So why did it takes years to get an english release anyway?

We'll probably never know the exact specifics, but most people think that it was just a completely abandoned project for years until it caught someone at Microsoft's eye, and so then they came along and said that they'd throw their money behind it. Which started the localization back up and here we are now.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
The :tinfoil: conspiracy theory :tinfoil: is that when Gearbox took all of Sega of America's money for Aliens Colonial Marines and spent it on Borderlands instead, Sega was too broke to spend anything on titles with less guaranteed returns than Sonic the Hedgehog.

The more probable theory is that there was some internal powerstruggle/bickering and whoever was the proponent of PSO2na was on the outs and their pet project got buried/forgotten until Microsoft showed up.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
We just had to grind a few runs of sonic and Yakuza until the PSO dropped.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Ardeem posted:

The :tinfoil: conspiracy theory :tinfoil: is that when Gearbox took all of Sega of America's money for Aliens Colonial Marines and spent it on Borderlands instead, Sega was too broke to spend anything on titles with less guaranteed returns than Sonic the Hedgehog.

The more probable theory is that there was some internal powerstruggle/bickering and whoever was the proponent of PSO2na was on the outs and their pet project got buried/forgotten until Microsoft showed up.
at the very least, there were scraps of hints tucked away that PSCrew were coding a game that would have global implementation: the dragonkin speak using a system that looks like Word Select, which would have been fun to see a system of the game being used in-setting for lore reasons; later when yahoo changed the server IP addresses after a DDoS attack, somebody reverse-engineering data packets found unused fields for things like SteamID even back then, as well as blocks designated for cross-ship (later used for the Shared Ship for challenge mode and battle arena) as well as a section labeled as "cross-region" blocks.

Looking over at the SEA and Taiwanese servers, those were basically like, Sega sold these companies a license to run and maintain their own server, and I guess aside from making some assets for them to use like outfits and localized seasonal lobbies and rappies, were mostly hands off in this approach.

So I guess what was likely was that they were making the game with the intention of a global release, then a suit over in corporate caught wind of that and said "hey how about we make more money", and nobody seemed interested in buying a license for an NA server; either because nobody wanted to buy in, or nobody was even aware that such a thing was even for sale.

as for the NA server now; I found this article from last July: https://www.gamebusiness.jp/article/2019/07/22/15987.html
Sega was shopping around for cloud-based server tech to move the PSO2 JP servers onto, they checked out Google Cloud and AWS, but then they looked into Microsoft since they have worked together on stuff like this before, and somebody told Phil Spencer about it and he showed up in person to Sega of Japan to make a deal in exchange for working with them on making this NA server too.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

2012 also had some bigger titles release like Guild Was 2 and The Secret World, including another WoW expansion. I assumed that PSO2 would've just been forgotten given the competition.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

orange juche posted:

PSO2 NA is releasing on PC in May, not sure when, but they seem to think that the game will be ready for release then. There's a lot of TL work that still needs to be done, hope they can fit it all in within a month.

I am hoping this happens soon. It feels like the Xbox crowd dropped off very quickly and there arent that many people left playing.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I am hoping this happens soon. It feels like the Xbox crowd dropped off very quickly and there arent that many people left playing.

I mean you always lose about 60-80% of your playerbase in the first 2 weeks, it just depends on how big your initial playerbase is that determines your stable population. I know there's 24 people in NA Nol Vacancy, but I only ever see 2-3 online at a time, and some of them I've not seen on since the beginning of CBT/OBT.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I'm one of those :v:

I'll try to hop on tonight though!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I am also one of those.

I ran out of xbox live :'(

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hopefully it will pick back up in a month or so when PC is released and people don't have to have xbox live or whatever.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was wondering if someone could please point me towards a good leveling guide for the American version? I am level 18 and feeling like I am doing something wrong, with leveling taking a long time. It feels like I need to grind the same areas over and over again and that doesnt seem correct. Am I doing something wrong?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

I said come in! posted:

I was wondering if someone could please point me towards a good leveling guide for the American version? I am level 18 and feeling like I am doing something wrong, with leveling taking a long time. It feels like I need to grind the same areas over and over again and that doesnt seem correct. Am I doing something wrong?

I still haven't had time to write up a guide (or play) but you should pick up Client Orders from NPCs scattered around the lobby and shopping area. If you are doing forest exploration, for example, Hans over to the far left of the campship area has a bunch of missions that give great experience. If you choose an exploration quest at the quest counter, you can open the menu and there is an option around client orders that allows you to view all acceptable COs in the mission area so you only need to run up to the NPCs to turn the quests in for rewards. Eventually, at higher levels, you can do advance quests that will net you a ton of experience.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Also, if you haven't, make sure to accept the rewards for the ARKS missions that you're clearing. A lot of the main missions give decent EXP early on.

E: Also talk to Lachesis if you haven't been, she has a bunch of rewards every time you do certain stuff, like a 15,000 exp ticket every time you clear a new exploration quest

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

orange juche posted:

Hopefully it will pick back up in a month or so when PC is released and people don't have to have xbox live or whatever.

Yeah, Xbox & Xbox Live requirement might be causing people to hold off until the PC version launches.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
That and I want to see what the game looks like running on "not a toaster" - I only have an original Xbox One.

Pierre McGuire
Oct 30, 2010
is the PC version going to be through the Windows/Microsoft store? Was wondering mainly because of the support for W10 only.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Pierre McGuire posted:

is the PC version going to be through the Windows/Microsoft store? Was wondering mainly because of the support for W10 only.

Win10 only? Does that mean it's not going to run on Win8? :ohdear:

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

It’ll probably launch on the Microsoft store first.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Main Paineframe posted:

Win10 only? Does that mean it's not going to run on Win8? :ohdear:

Like most games on the MS Store in the last two-three years, likely

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Pierre McGuire posted:

Does the Microsoft store not work on win 8? It should I thought, might be wrong though.

E: it does have Microsoft Store and should be fine though 2023.

E2: welp I guess it does have Microsoft Store, but it doesn't have any apps newer than like 2018, rip.

Probably should upgrade to win 10, it's like Win 8 but sucks less and clicking the start menu doesn't take away your entire desktop.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 5, 2020

Pierre McGuire
Oct 30, 2010
Followup question - I played the JP version years ago and was annoyed because I played a CAST and had to listen to insanely loud CLANG CLANG CLANG CLANG footsteps every step I took. I looked it up and it seemed that I needed some high end gear to remove this noise. Is this still the case?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
That..was not a gear thing, strictly speaking. If you're using robot bits then once you start running (hovering) it stops; if you're using fleshy clothes then I don't think it plays at all.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I mean, you can switch to the floating run animation. You'll still have footsteps when you're walking though.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
You should never be walking
Always running

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

If you're playing the game correctly (on a keyboard and mouse) you don't even get the option to walk!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Slow jog, whatever.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
yeah your footstep sounds are based on your leg parts or your outfit

they still had a bit in the online manual that mentioned a steam client until they temporally removed any mention of instructions for PC clients in general; but yeah even the JP client doesn't officially support pre-windows 10 anymore. The JP client still works, but it's basically just them saying that if something breaks compatibility outside of windows 10 they're probably not going to bother with doing anything about that.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Are you sure it's only Windows 10? They dropped support for 7 recently because MS themselves did, but isn't it still officially supported on 8?

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
oh yeah I should probably have looked at the OP first; I do remember making sure I at least changed the OS related thing when that happened. not sure if the rest of the requirements were still what I put in there

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dabir posted:

Are you sure it's only Windows 10? They dropped support for 7 recently because MS themselves did, but isn't it still officially supported on 8?

I mean considering MS is not accepting new apps on the Windows 8 store, W8 is basically frozen out, even though the app technically would run.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Dabir posted:

If you're referring to the JP version then yeah I'm pretty sure they've just ended official support for Win 7 due to MS doing so themselves and it ought to continue to work on other oses (and most likely win 7 as well) for now. People have messed around with other releases that have been said to be Win 10 only and changed some flag and then they've worked fine on earlier versions of Windows so that's a thing that could happen here too possibly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

It's definitely "Here be dragons" territory though, if they do some windows store mess where it just doesn't show up in Windows 8's store, there's not much that can be done.