Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I have a shred guitar and an acoustic. I go back and forth on if I want a jazzmaster or tele. I'll probably end up with both one of these days

shred stuff is absolutely not my style, but it is what a dude in the dorms was selling in 2003 so here we are

I got my son a rondo 1/2 size lefty strata week or so ago. it's supposed to get here today but hasn't shown up yet. if it turns out to be great quality maybe I'll consider a rondo tele, but I don't really enjoy working on guitars so frankly I'd rather just pay an extra hundred or two and not have to level frets and file the nut and all that stuff that the cheaper guitars often require (and I gather is half the point for people that enjoy that sort of thing). of course maybe setting up the boy's guitar will show me that it's actually fun when you aren't fighting with floyd rose 🤷‍♀️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
uhhh

left to right

* the new bass (ignore the sticker residue on the pickguard)
* ibanez rg570
* my second guitar of unknown make, i'm currently trying to ID it so I can find a replacement bridge as it's starting to fatigue. individual switches for each pickup from the factory, loaded with EMGs. its a neck thru with binding and i really dont wanna repaint it but it needs it
* 1965 Teisco Del Rey with a single ceramic pickup you can scream into if you have an overdrive pedal running. $35 in 1994

and yeah i lose knobs like crazy

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 5, 2020

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I kinda find the floyd rose fun but I reckon it’s that nerd element we have here, where the meta stuff regarding the equipment is also interesting on top of playing itself, as opposed to some players who are like, just want play

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

uhhh

left to right

* ibanez rg570
* my second guitar of unknown make, i'm currently trying to ID it so I can find a replacement bridge as it's starting to fatigue. individual switches for each pickup from the factory, loaded with EMGs
* 1965 Teisco Del Rey with a single ceramic pickup you can scream into if you have an overdrive pedal running. $35 in 1994

siiick. thanks . love that ibanez

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i have an esp ltd m-155 (same as m-100 but with offset fretboard markings) and a fender dg-20ce acoustic/electric. no pics right now though

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i made a thing and recorded myself making it to upload. this way i can share my settings and also share my sound. im tryin to get an organ sound that will be my goto organ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tyXXQGnXQI
theres a plugin thats not rendering properly on the screen capture, but here's the screenshot of the basic settings. its just a fuzz box, its a free one too, fuzzpluss3

inspired by the sounds on this song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG7zEC74iHE

what i found is that its got to be well placed flange and some distortion to beef it up, and then some eqs to balance it out, and compression. still a wip but im ready to roll with it for some other stuff

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the original has some sort of octaver on it or at least some really tweaked in distortion. i say try to change that fuzz to more of a midrangey overdrive type thing

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

the original has some sort of octaver on it or at least some really tweaked in distortion. i say try to change that fuzz to more of a midrangey overdrive type thing
an octaver does give it a nice little bump http://christopherhooker.com/plug-ins.htm

i refuse to loose the fuzz tho

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fuzz is king

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

uhhh

left to right

* ibanez rg570
* my second guitar of unknown make, i'm currently trying to ID it so I can find a replacement bridge as it's starting to fatigue. individual switches for each pickup from the factory, loaded with EMGs. its a neck thru with binding and i really dont wanna repaint it but it needs it

is that third one a hamer guitar or something, i've got one that has the same style of tuning knobs at the base

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress lol I was just jamming and whammying and idk what i did but the bridge fell apart and the springs fell out the back.

lmao. just putting it back together now. god knows how the springs were

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

lol oh no

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
but gently caress im having a lot of fun pulling sharp at the end of a riff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtffv9bpB-U

I wanna sound like this. the riff starts at .33 and is badass as gently caress and has the pulled sharp whammy at .42 it owns so hard

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
as a non-technical woman or child I don't find the floyd rose really that big of a deal. its a bit more work. when I get my new strings I'm gonna bother trying to get the rear tension right so the bridge sits where it should.

but it took all of two minutes to get myself running again

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Tankakern posted:

is that third one a hamer guitar or something, i've got one that has the same style of tuning knobs at the base

I actually did a detective post in ML guitarthread to try to ID it.

Best lead is that it's an old JB Player with an extra knob drilled:

https://www.ebay.com/i/254581651687...AiABEgKYm_D_BwE

Bridge lines up (it's a ripoff accutune and i'm talking to a guy on whammyparts.com re: what i need to put a genuine Kahler bridge on), toggles, headstock, neckthrough all appear to be a perfect match.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
holy poo poo the bass amp guy got back to me, im glad i emailed him a second time

i've been looking for something i won't explode (the Fender is a guitar amp and you can't play a fuckin 5 string through that !!!!) and there were some lovely GK's and Fenders around, and then this popped up

Ashdown ABM C210H-500

Ashdown was founded by the guy that sold off Trace Elliot. tube preamp, 2x10 with a horn, five hundred and seventy-five watts lmao

going to look at it tonight

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
hi i made a new album last week

https://dumbledog.bandcamp.com/

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Tayter Swift posted:

oh hell yeah i will smoke weed and zone to this later, ty!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

cross postin from the pics thread...

the top 3 things to get if you've never played guitar before are

1) the chord wheel book
2) guitar chods encyclopedia (the short fat spiral bound one)
3) guitar pro (tab software) and use ultmate-guitar dot com to get tabs from https://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php

Along with constantly learning, practicing, and doing exercises using scales and rudiments or whatever, and learning your fretboard, use the above to learn songs that you like and then do a little analysis of how they are connecting together

This also helped me alot to get my speed up - Shred is Not Dead
the dvd is super helpful, make sure to get the one with the dvd
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Alfred/Shred-Is-Not-Dead-Guitar-Book-and-DVD-1273887985496.gc

Vintersorg posted:

I missed guitar chat but here’s mine!! only been seriously playing for a year now but it’s tons of fun

Jackson dinky js22 with boss katana 100, pickups are Seymour Duncan Nazguls for extra highs

actives are cool tho - almost got emg 81/85s but didn’t wanna hassle with batteries as I tend to leave it plugged in

i posted my jackson and ibanez a while back and i gotta say, i really like the jackson more because its fretboard doesn't feel as wide or thick, by like a couple millimetres probably but i notice . I notice that i can play a lot faster and more accurately on the jackson and the ibanez - on the ibanez the pit of my thumb seems to be hitting the low E side of the fret board a lot. So, seeing this guitar, with its jackson-ness and floyd rose reminded me its been 15+ years since i bought a new loving guitar and i should maybe do something about that.

but i did just get the electronic drumkit, and the existing guitars serve me well so... i guess i wont rush it but its definitely back on the radar

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 6, 2020

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sick axes

I’ll look at those resources. I’ve been playing since I was 14 and was in church bands for years so chords were a huge mainstay, although we did gently caress all interesting chords, and the trend at the time was to play heaps of chords as open as possible, if that meant it was a sus2 or sus4 so be it, make as many open strings ring as much as possible so the chord progression sounds somewhat “nice” but also difficult to discern

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol gently caress

it's SO LOUD

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I got my kids guitar set up and it wasn't too obnoxious!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

lol gently caress

it's SO LOUD

lol all the alcohol is going to rumble right off

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

echinopsis posted:

I’ve been playing since I was 14 and was in church bands for years so chords were a huge mainstay, although we did gently caress all interesting chords, and the trend at the time was to play heaps of chords as open as possible, if that meant it was a sus2 or sus4 so be it, make as many open strings ring as much as possible so the chord progression sounds somewhat “nice” but also difficult to discern
that guy from that other vid I posted a couple days ago has a good take on open chords and when not to use them, they can tend to make things bland if used at the wrong times, even tho they satisfy the harmonic key

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEWQNKbXHQk

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

KoRMaK posted:

lol all the alcohol is going to rumble right off

2 or 3 is comfortable house-filling volume. i hit one note at volume 7 and a beer can fell off the table on the other side of the room

it's STUPID

i LOVE IT

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KoRMaK posted:

that guy from that other vid I posted a couple days ago has a good take on open chords and when not to use them, they can tend to make things bland if used at the wrong times, even tho they satisfy the harmonic key

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEWQNKbXHQk

I actually watched this the other day and it wasn’t quite what I thought it was, kinda just ended up complaining about standard chords with standard voicings. regardless I agree, they have a place but it’s not everywhere

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

nice, yea it does do that but I think it still says something worthwhile before dunking on some nerds. the takeaway I got is figure out if you are going up, down or staying the same tonally from an objective hz perspective -thats the basic thematic core of your chord progression, kind of like telling a story, and it relates to the actual objective hz of the tones your hitting: up, down, or stay the same. And the takeaway is, don't muddle that up by using chords that are technically in the key, but have frequencies that are too high or too low or grouped poorly. Instead look for the version of that chord that works within the frequencies that work with the chords surrounding it on the progression. So, like an
E/C chord rather than just a C open or barred chord

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 6, 2020

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
definitely how you’d write the music if you were writing sheet music, rather than just thinking of chords as letters

but each style of music calls for its own. I’m not sure if the exact voicing of the chords in wish you were here, but they’re perfect, as a simple progression, as they suit the tone of the song perfectly.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jonny 290 posted:

lol gently caress

it's SO LOUD

omg what is that?? lol

got a vid?

as mentioned before in my post, ive only been playing seriously for a bout a year now. toyed with it in my teens, again in my 20's but now im actually sitting down to learn properly. i decided about 6 months in wanted to take in person lessons to get me straightened out, we've been going thru the Rock Shop books and right now made it to book 2

it starts off with triplets and stuff, which at first i was like - im never playing these but with anything -- i have mastered the first lessons with it and actually playing some cool songs

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i bought a guitar in college and learned to play five chords and then stopped. then i picked it up in grad school, but then i stopped.

but this time! this time it will be different! seriously though, the big problem i had before was not knowing what to practice and stuff - eventually noodling would get boring and i'd stop. i've been doing the justin guitar beginner lessons and it's been great.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Vintersorg posted:

omg what is that?? lol

got a vid?

No video yet because i do not have a mic that can properly capture the power

it's an Ashdown ABM 500 bass combo amp. Tube preamp, 7 band EQ, subharmonic generator for when you need EVEN MORE BASS, and 2 10" drivers plus a horn tweeter. British, even!

By itself it'll do about 350-400 watts and with an extension cab it's rated at 575

a nice woman was selling off the estate of a music dork that passed, and unwisely priced it at only 275 bucks

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
years back someone posted this vid in the pos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hJBko3-oV4

always thought that might make a nice sample
https://soundcloud.com/atomd/lights-are-on

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

rip florian schneider

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I had a few beers the other night and was standing up playing guitar and just riffing out and drat it was fun. wish had a drummer to play with

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
whip up some beats on fruityloops or somethin!

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Tayter Swift posted:

trip report: very nice :)

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Penisface posted:

rip florian schneider

:(

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Penisface posted:

trip report: very nice :)

thank you :)

nerds may be interested to know that the 'bells' sequence was essentially random notes in a scale slowly fed into a delay set to 13/8 (or maybe 13/4). the weird delay time lets each new note kindof slip into the sequence that makes it feel like it's evolving organically.

also yeah rip florian :(

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

whip up some beats on fruityloops or somethin!

yeah lol I can totally do it

but nothing at all compares to the back and forth between real musicians when it comes to jamming. it’s so fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
got some new strings and yeah lol this floyd Rose is a thing

so I got Ernie ball heavy top skinny bottoms. classic

did all at once, and tuning to eadgbe had the bridge so high in the air lol. I tightened the screws around the back as much as I could but no avail. probably needs another spring or something anyway working with what I got I tuned down a whole step and it seems to be working nicely.

the back and forward between tuning strings and then adjusting screws around the back to get the bridge flat is a “fun” one.

currently doing intonation coz it was hosed with these new strings. just dive bomb the bridge to get the strings loose enough I can use the hey key and move it a bunch and see if it’s any better. I’ll get thru every strings and then retune and see how the bridge is sitting

before when it was tuned but intonation was out i was riffing away and I played enter sandman to my kids to try to impress them one thought it was good the other said the entire thing sounds bad I guess he doesn’t like high gain amps

been at it for a couple hours or so. floyd rose definitely for guitar nerds, coz I don’t really hate any of this work. I think if at the end it sounds great I’ll just be so pleased by myself.

before when it was tuned to e i was afraid I would have had to adjust the truss rod but thank god coz I’ve never done that before