Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I bet you could already use a controller with sixaxis gyro to play RE4 on PC really, really well. I have to try that sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Man I'm missing the map improvements from RE2make. Differentiating the cleared rooms and showing a bit more item info would sure help me focus my attempts at getting to the third of three ornate doodads.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
jills new face actor plays re3r.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvmtJGfXI2U

i never saw julia voth playing re1 so new jill is my only jill. :colbert:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Sadly, she does it in Russian, which takes away from the experience a bit. By which I mean I don't understand a word of it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's not from personal experience for me, I never tried one because locking the nunchuck *behind* the wiimote just looked like it'd be an uncomfortable position to deal with permanently. For me, not locking the controls together was a big part of what made motion aiming fun to use.

Huh.

Well, it arrives Tuesday and my xbone power brick poo poo the bed so I'm down to the Wii for now. Maybe I'll try it as is but I remember having one light gun maybe 8 years ago and it was great fun. Come to think of it, I think it was a RE game that was on rails house of the Dead style but I forget what it was.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Huh.

Well, it arrives Tuesday and my xbone power brick poo poo the bed so I'm down to the Wii for now. Maybe I'll try it as is but I remember having one light gun maybe 8 years ago and it was great fun. Come to think of it, I think it was a RE game that was on rails house of the Dead style but I forget what it was.

Oh you should get Ghost Squad, it's loving great and also mega cheap (I think my copy cost £2)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Meaty Ore posted:

For future reference: if you can ditch Mr. X long enough, aren't afraid of killing Lickers, and care enough about the infinite knife, you can loop back around and get your knife back. Keep going though! S+ is really satisfying once you get it. I managed to finish Claire B with an S+ with just five minutes to spare. I could have saved time if I didn't go for the later two inventory expansions, but I like having the space for some healing items.

I also somehow managed to beat Hunk's scenario. They really do give you just enough to get by. I think I was in Danger with a mostly full handgun and a half-empty SMG clip left after getting past the final bunch of zombies. Tofu is a lot of fun to play as, though I haven't quite managed to beat that one yet.

I did in fact go back for my knife and to get the magnum upgrade. I got an S on Leon at 2:25 with lots of time wasting nonsense and extra resources, even accounting for use of infintie pistol. Lots of healables that rotted in the item box when I needed to start the final elevator. I only used the magnum to finish G3 and not on Super Tyrant at all so ditching the upgrades for it is natural, although I forgot how useful the knife is for G3. It feels doable with an iron clad route and more ah, dodging enemies instead of gunning them down. Using the infinite LMG on Claire A feels like an excellent reward at the moment and will make finding my last lore document cathartic.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I went back to RE2 last night to get the achievement for the Jill letter and to try out the No Way Out on Ghost Survivors.

Thoughts

1) Playing through Leon's second run made me realize how RE3 puts safe rooms where you need them. With RE2 many of them feel like you have to take a detour to get to them.

2) The game is Dark. I forgot how hard it is to see in the early parts of the game, compared to how lit up RE3 is. Mostly because everything is on fire.

3) The combat feels different. It's subtle but it feels more life and death in RE2. Which is fine for the story. But for a Battle Royal sequence just feels off.
The survive waves of zombies segment as Carlos feels fun and exciting. Trying it as the Sherrif in cramped shopping shelves feels frustrating.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

Convex posted:

Oh you should get Ghost Squad, it's loving great and also mega cheap (I think my copy cost £2)

Naw you should hack your wii and have all the games cause it takes like half an hour.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

drat...I spent a good 15 minutes split between yesterday and today, running around in the third fight against Jack, just trying to find the last hidden eyeball to trigger his final move. Who knew my own blindness would be the toughest boss I've faced in an RE game.

And of course my instant reward is getting to feel lovely whether I pick to help Zoe or Mia :sigh:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Finally got around to playing R3R, and I found it to be a mixed experience. The length was OK, although I didn't like some of the changes, particularly Carlos going to the Police Station instead of Jill, as a highlight of the original for me was the way she actually knew who's desk was who's and commented on it a bit. Jill and Carlos were characterized perfectly, with the highlights being Jill finding the Hunter and Tyrant tubes in the lab and instantly recognizing them and Carlos's shocked realization that that Jill was right - Umbrella was, in fact, behind everything - and yet she was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt anyway. The only real character issue I had was Nikolai, and I can't quite put my finger on why - a summary of both versions of the character would be nigh-identical, but the old one felt realer, somehow.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
I don't know who they modeled Nikolai's face off of, but goddamn if that isn't the most punchable smile I've ever seen in my life

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think the problem with Nikokai is that in OG RE3 he just seems like Russian knockoff Wesker and the Remake still doesn't make him anything more than that.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Raxivace posted:

I think the problem with Nikokai is that in OG RE3 he just seems like Russian knockoff Wesker and the Remake still doesn't make him anything more than that.

If anything he could have been more like Wesker. "I'm a spook for hire that just cares about getting paid", was a boring motivation to center his character around, at least Wesker believed in something even if it was generic ubermensch technobabble.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 5, 2020

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Raxivace posted:

i think he comes off as a craven opportunist in RE3R which is pretty far off from knock off Wesker, in that its a totally different motivation

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

rabidsquid posted:

i think he comes off as a craven opportunist in RE3R which is pretty far off from knock off Wesker, in that its a totally different motivation
I dunno, he's still a guy killing off his own squad members and starts ranting about "combat data" at the end, that's still basically Wesker in RE1.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I hope we finally get to see some of this all-important combat data in RE8 and its just crappy Worldstar videos but with the occasional mutant.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

rabidsquid posted:

i think he comes off as a craven opportunist in RE3R

That might actually be the distinction I was looking for. OG Nikolai had very clearly planned out what he was going to do, while this version comes across as "Finally, I've got a justification for my self-centered worldview, and an opportunity to make bank!". The original would have taken a lot of the same actions, but the attitude would have been different.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BiggerBoat posted:

Huh.

I'm sure people posted this earlier already but there's two House of the Dead style Resident Evil games for Wii. They're called Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles, both are great.

There's also House of the Dead itself! House of the Dead 2+3 was ported to the Wii on one disk. House of the Dead 2 is one of the best games of this kind ever so check it out. There's also House of the Dead: Overkill which is awesome but I would definitely not recommend playing with a kid.

Someone mentioned Ghost Squad, that's an absolute must have.

Last, there's Dead Space: Extraction which is Dead Space but coop House of the Dead style, it rules too.

RealFoxy posted:

I had the RE4 Chainsaw for a long time and it is very not worth it for anything besides a collector's prop

Onimusha 3: "Hold my beer"

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Raxivace posted:

This should be mandatory for competitive Smash players.

lol, Dabuz did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPFC7NM4pRA

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
So Nick Apostolides has been wanting to collab with Suzie the Sphere hunter for a while, so he did commentary while she played through RE2. I didn't know that he was a huge RE nerd until now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmq8KekjVks

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I'm finally playing through RE: Revelations after putting it on hold for years. The singleplayer stuff is... okay but the Raid mode has really sucked me in.

Also, I'd very much play a game that's just Keith and Quint's wacky adventures.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 09:27 on May 5, 2020

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wxBZv49GCY

:eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

This is amazing. It's like someone cut apart RE1make and Resident Evil 4 and made a new game out of their mutilated bodies. You can sort of see the seams, but it's still impressive work.

Also, the way the title person says "reeeemiiiiix :zombie:" is really funny.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
That looks cool as hell.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

the dudes channel has stuff from later in the game, thing is almost complete but not released yet. his lab looks bigger and insane, like instead of doing a remake1 1:1 to re4 he just went hey gently caress it, lets try a few things, action some poo poo up, why not.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I'd much rather Capcom was remaking the first game and Code Veronica than 4.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

they already remade the first game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I was hoping playing RE2make and 7 in close order would make one the clear winner. 7 starts off so good, especially as a big change for the franchise, but it kinda goes steadily downhill. I think everything up til you get to Lucas is great, but the Bakers would've been way more interesting without him.

The ship's decent with some neat storytelling ideas, but the gameplay suffers by falling into more backtracking in a less interesting environment, and the lack of monster variety really shows. It's not bad, but a step down.

Then, the mines. It says something that I forgot there was even anything following the ship.

So I dunno, it's probably the early parts of 7 > 2 Remake > 7 overall.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Vikar Jerome posted:

they already remade the first game.

I'd be down for remaking it with the new REmake engine

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Has there ever been a game that's had multiple full-scale, ground-up remakes? (Not counting fan remakes)

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

leisure suit larry has had what, 4 different remakes?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I’m sure stuff like Oregon Trail has technically been remade a bunch over the years.

Lot of ways to go to Oregon I guess.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Every Pokemon game is basically just a remake of the original Pokemon Red/Blue games, if we're being realistic about it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

UFO: Enemy Unknown? (Or as the godless Americans call it, XCOM.)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

UFO: Enemy Unknown? (Or as the godless Americans call it, XCOM.)

not really? unless i missed a game somewhere, the rest have been sidequels or sequels til xcom which was its first reboot.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Xenonauts is a straight-up remake, though.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Super Mario Brothers 1-3 has the original, all stars, and advance versions which all have quite a few changes between.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Mega Man games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cardiovorax posted:

Every Pokemon game is basically just a remake of the original Pokemon Red/Blue games, if we're being realistic about it.

also pokemon red and blue have been literally, faithfully remade from the ground up for new hardware twice: FireRed/LeafGreen and Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee