Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

STR posted:

Ultimately, I guess stability may mean moving back in with her mother. She's STILL trying to pretend we can make a 2 bedroom apt work. That's a hell to the loving no. I'm not putting myself through that (I've tried that song and dance before, it doesn't end well), and definitely not putting her through that. It would be nothing but heartache for her anytime I actually wound up dating, and it would just be awkward all the way around. I've tried living with ex's before after a breakup, and out of every ex I've tried to live with after a breakup, I speak to exactly zero of them. It hurts really bad to inflict this kind of pain on someone, I'm usually the one getting dumped, but... damnit.

If the best thing for her mental health means leaving a job of 18 years and moving to the other end of the state, so be it, and I'll support her in that decision. Hell, I'll drive the drat moving truck across the state for her pulling her car behind it (just like I drove a moving truck halfway across the state pulling my car behind it to move in with her), so long as I can find a way back home. I'll load and unload the drat thing myself, so long as her mother isn't waiting with a shotgun. I just want her to at least try to explore other options outside of "gently caress everything, moving back in with mom at 42 and throwing away a nearly 20 year career". She's had a little over 2 months to prepare for the loss of apartment at this point (we're just shy of 2 weeks left), and I've been splitting my time between sleeping on a friend's couch, at our place, and occasionally in my car as it is.

TBH I think taking a 1-2 month leave of absence and going into some kind of psychiatric treatment (maybe a week inside a private facility, the rest outside, but still off of work) would be better. She has more than enough PTO (she's grandfathered in under a plan that isn't "use it or lose it", I think she has like 6 months saved up), she's enrolled in short and long term disability, her insurance will cover mental health... we have almost identical medical benefits aside from deductibles, right down to the insurance company.

I appreciate your devotion to the campground principle of leaving a relationship with the other person as good as or better than when you found them, but you've done a hell of a lot to make things good. This is a grenade that you don't have to jump on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

STR posted:

Ultimately, I guess stability may mean moving back in with her mother. She's STILL trying to pretend we can make a 2 bedroom apt work. That's a hell to the loving no. I'm not putting myself through that (I've tried that song and dance before, it doesn't end well), and definitely not putting her through that. It would be nothing but heartache for her anytime I actually wound up dating, and it would just be awkward all the way around. I've tried living with ex's before after a breakup, and out of every ex I've tried to live with after a breakup, I speak to exactly zero of them. It hurts really bad to inflict this kind of pain on someone, I'm usually the one getting dumped, but... damnit.

If the best thing for her mental health means leaving a job of 18 years and moving to the other end of the state, so be it, and I'll support her in that decision. Hell, I'll drive the drat moving truck across the state for her pulling her car behind it (just like I drove a moving truck halfway across the state pulling my car behind it to move in with her), so long as I can find a way back home. I'll load and unload the drat thing myself, so long as her mother isn't waiting with a shotgun. I just want her to at least try to explore other options outside of "gently caress everything, moving back in with mom at 42 and throwing away a nearly 20 year career". She's had a little over 2 months to prepare for the loss of apartment at this point (we're just shy of 2 weeks left), and I've been splitting my time between sleeping on a friend's couch, at our place, and occasionally in my car as it is.

TBH I think taking a 1-2 month leave of absence and going into some kind of psychiatric treatment (maybe a week inside a private facility, the rest outside, but still off of work) would be better. She has more than enough PTO (she's grandfathered in under a plan that isn't "use it or lose it", I think she has like 6 months saved up), she's enrolled in short and long term disability, her insurance will cover mental health... we have almost identical medical benefits aside from deductibles, right down to the insurance company.

Bro, if you try to fix every broken wing, you're never going to fly yourself. Sometimes you gotta say "My work here is done" and move on.

STR posted:

Jesus loving Tapdancing Christ.

So whenever anyone moves out of an "old" apartment in my complex, they spend 2 months tearing it apart to remodel it (and speaking of, my current apt is listed as being available in late July to early August, my move-out date is late May). I just woke up from a nice nap to sledgehammers.

Opened my door. They're demoing the apt across from this one. With the front door wide open. I went over to ask if they can just close the door - the doors are insulated fire doors, and kill sound pretty well. I have a nearly deaf neighbor next door that has his TV cranked to 11 24/7, to the point that I can hear it a bit inside the car while in the parking lot, and can make out words once I'm out of the car (and definitely figure out what he's watching once I'm in the breezeway) - I DON'T HEAR A loving THING INSIDE THIS APARTMENT. I knocked and just asked nicely "can you please close the door?"

"No habla pandeja, maricon!" REALLY? (google "maricon" if you want to know why this pisses me off so much, but "pandeja" isn't too nice either)

I just had a polite chat with the property manager. Well... polite in that I didn't yell or curse at them. About 1/3 of the population in this place works "essential jobs", and a decent chunk of those either work at my store on overnights, or work at a neighboring store (mostly also on overnights). Up until they started doing remodels, it was one of the more affordable apt complexes nearby. It's now one of the most expensive...and the oldest apt complex in this part of town.

All they had to do was close the loving door. They're not going in and out until they've knocked out all of the kitchen, the bathroom, a few walls, and a few ceiling fans. That's gonna be at least a few days.

I have a big old box of 3M earplugs for just this sort of thing. Working nights for almost half my life now, it's just a fact of life the world is not going to accommodate you and you gotta carve out your own little piece of peace.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

My wife started playing Animal Crossing, which is awesome because she really seems to get into it. Apr-June was supposed to be her chunk of time to go to medical conferences, etc. and that's not happening any time soon. She's also "on vacation" this week, which is an incredibly meaningless term. A few of my friends from college have been playing since it came out and I need to figure out how to introduce them so they can give each other stuff.

I'm a little jealous that she finishes all the quests on our island before I can get to them though!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

STR posted:

Yeah, try and convince her to take her PTO and take a leave of absence so it leaves her options open. She can go stay with her mom - Sounds like a good place for her to be right now and means that it is not your problem and wont become it. If she has that much PTO stored up she might as well use it up and then at the end of it she can either leave or come back to the job

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

Jesus loving Tapdancing Christ.

So whenever anyone moves out of an "old" apartment in my complex, they spend 2 months tearing it apart to remodel it (and speaking of, my current apt is listed as being available in late July to early August, my move-out date is late May). I just woke up from a nice nap to sledgehammers.

Opened my door. They're demoing the apt across from this one. With the front door wide open. I went over to ask if they can just close the door - the doors are insulated fire doors, and kill sound pretty well. I have a nearly deaf neighbor next door that has his TV cranked to 11 24/7, to the point that I can hear it a bit inside the car while in the parking lot, and can make out words once I'm out of the car (and definitely figure out what he's watching once I'm in the breezeway) - I DON'T HEAR A loving THING INSIDE THIS APARTMENT. I knocked and just asked nicely "can you please close the door?"

"No habla pandeja, maricon!" REALLY? (google "maricon" if you want to know why this pisses me off so much, but "pandeja" isn't too nice either)

I just had a polite chat with the property manager. Well... polite in that I didn't yell or curse at them. About 1/3 of the population in this place works "essential jobs", and a decent chunk of those either work at my store on overnights, or work at a neighboring store (mostly also on overnights). Up until they started doing remodels, it was one of the more affordable apt complexes nearby. It's now one of the most expensive...and the oldest apt complex in this part of town.

All they had to do was close the loving door. They're not going in and out until they've knocked out all of the kitchen, the bathroom, a few walls, and a few ceiling fans. That's gonna be at least a few days.

Playing with fire assuming that someone in Texas doesn't speak Spanish, there, pendejo. We tend to pick up a lot by necessity - especially the insults.
Insulting the residents of the property you're working for ain't terribly smart, neither.

edit:

Safety Dance posted:

My wife started playing Animal Crossing, which is awesome because she really seems to get into it. Apr-June was supposed to be her chunk of time to go to medical conferences, etc. and that's not happening any time soon. She's also "on vacation" this week, which is an incredibly meaningless term. A few of my friends from college have been playing since it came out and I need to figure out how to introduce them so they can give each other stuff.

I'm a little jealous that she finishes all the quests on our island before I can get to them though!

My wife wants to get a Switch, for that and a couple other games, think. I'm not *completely* opposed, but we already have an Xbox One, 360, and PS3 connected to the TV. Minde you, only the One gets used with any regularity. The PS3 can probably come out and jut be connected if I get a wild hair to play Uncharted, Gran Turismo, or God Of War. Or not. I think I still have inputs on the receiver. If she wants to spend the $300, I'd rather spend it on an Xbox One X. Not sure I want to until I see what the Series X will do and cost, though. So I guess she can get a Switch if it's her money and she can find one. I bought all the other consoles.
I want to play Splatoon

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 4, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I've forced myself to PC game only so I don't start spending a bunch of money on consoles. I'm cheap and pretty content with old stuff, though. My trusty six+ year old Radeon R7 265 is dying so I just had to order a new video card, but it beats paying for a new console.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Tomarse posted:

Yeah, try and convince her to take her PTO and take a leave of absence so it leaves her options open. She can go stay with her mom - Sounds like a good place for her to be right now and means that it is not your problem and wont become it. If she has that much PTO stored up she might as well use it up and then at the end of it she can either leave or come back to the job

She's one of two people trained in her job at her current store (and one of like 5 or 6 in the entire region), and she gets called in when the other person in her store calls in sick (frequently) (then ripped 50 new assholes for getting 2 minutes of overtime....). Even her boss, and boss's boss, can't perform her job. But this sounds like the best thing mentioned so far.

Sometimes I hate being a caring rear end in a top hat. Okay, most of the time. :smithicide: I really wish my "giving a gently caress" had a solid on/off switch.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 4, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

My wife wants to get a Switch, for that and a couple other games, think. I'm not *completely* opposed, but we already have an Xbox One, 360, and PS3 connected to the TV. Minde you, only the One gets used with any regularity. The PS3 can probably come out and jut be connected if I get a wild hair to play Uncharted, Gran Turismo, or God Of War. Or not. I think I still have inputs on the receiver. If she wants to spend the $300, I'd rather spend it on an Xbox One X. Not sure I want to until I see what the Series X will do and cost, though. So I guess she can get a Switch if it's her money and she can find one. I bought all the other consoles.
I want to play Splatoon

I'm still playing my PS3 and refuse to get another console until the PS5 comes out although now I'm hearing it's backwards compatible with everything BUT the PS3....What the gently caress is that bullshit.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I'm still playing my PS3 and refuse to get another console until the PS5 comes out although now I'm hearing it's backwards compatible with everything BUT the PS3....

Well there you go, all your bases are covered!

Darchangel posted:

I want to play Splatoon

You could always get the Switch Lite. That's the handheld only version. We got a Switch a few months after it came out and it sees mixed usage. Sometimes I go months without touching a video game, and sometimes a play a bunch. It's still a really solid purchase.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

Well there you go, all your bases are covered!

Well I have a PS2 as well for Tony Hawk and was hoping I could have just one console to play everything and store the old ones :mad:

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

bolind posted:

That looks delish and I'm tempted to try those myself.

I've been trying to get on the Bon Apetit, and Brad is entertaining, but I just can't deal with the stupid speech bubbles and animations all the time. It's way overdone. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

It's only Brad's "It's Alive" sub-show that has those, there are loads of others on the Bon Appétit channel.

e: beaten like eggs

Beach Bum posted:

Bro, if you try to fix every broken wing, you're never going to fly yourself. Sometimes you gotta say "My work here is done" and move on.

I am stealing this quote.

meltie fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 4, 2020

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

STR posted:

I knocked and just asked nicely "can you please close the door?"

Shoulda just smiled and said "Gracias!" and closed it on your way out.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I'm officially an apprentice carpenter now. I have the same job, same pay (for now), but at least I can hang my head high and I don't have to say that I'm el pinche anymore

LloydDobler posted:

Shoulda just smiled and said "Gracias!" and closed it on your way out.

Alternatively, "puta madre tu pinche paisa" or simply "chinga tu madre" if you're fine with likely escalating the situation over homophobic slurs. I'm a surprisingly patient man in person, but I have so little tolerance for that poo poo

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Well I have a PS2 as well for Tony Hawk and was hoping I could have just one console to play everything and store the old ones :mad:

I was hoping that they'd add more than 20 games to the PS2 on PS4 game list. Or that they'd put on stuff worth buying, and at reasonable prices, but I guess that's what emulators are for
Now I get to futilely hope that they start putting GameCube ROM's on the Switch so that the GC Pro Controller isn't just an accessory for Super Smash Bros

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

I'm officially an apprentice carpenter now. I have the same job, same pay (for now), but at least I can hang my head high and I don't have to say that I'm el pinche anymore

Hey,

you'll always be el pinche to us

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

Hey,

you'll always be el pinche to us

:glomp:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Did someone in this thread recommend this youtube video? Thanks for doing so if it was you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRs-4AXb9_U

I've had it open in a tab on my PC for days and finally watched it tonight and was captivated by his stop motion skills and how everything moves around.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Darchangel posted:

Playing with fire assuming that someone in Texas doesn't speak Spanish, there, pendejo. We tend to pick up a lot by necessity - especially the insults.
Insulting the residents of the property you're working for ain't terribly smart, neither.

edit:

I want to play Splatoon

FWIW I've mostly used my Switch as a portable. I've only hooked it up to the TV for multiplayer games.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

gently caress hail.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The other day my wife wasn't really sure if she was going to get into Animal Crossing. Today she explained to me that she was going to use some iron to fix her axe, but she wants to focus on getting the bookshop open.

I think she's enjoying herself! That makes me happy!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Which site did we use to make these? I need an update for 2020.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thought of putting this in the failure thread but figured here. Sat through an internal company web presentation today, developed from our American head office. Something jumped out at me immediately as soon as I saw this page. I can't believe I was the first person to notice this but I told them afterwards and they had absolutely zero clue. Tell me what I saw (slightly obfuscated to remove identifying company stuff).

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Is that loving Chernobyl :lol:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

slidebite posted:

Thought of putting this in the failure thread but figured here. Sat through an internal company web presentation today, developed from our American head office. Something jumped out at me immediately as soon as I saw this page. I can't believe I was the first person to notice this but I told them afterwards and they had absolutely zero clue. Tell me what I saw (slightly obfuscated to remove identifying company stuff).

I assume you're working for an American company, not Ukrainian.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

A structure with an estimated 20 year life span that started failing within 10 years? :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yep. Thousands of people have seen that slide in various forms I'm sure. I hope they leave it in for :lol: at this point because yeah :wtf:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone have one of those gas flat top griddles made for outdoor use? I've noticed lots of them for sale lately so they must be a thing now, would be pretty cool to whip poo poo up like it was a diner flat top, breakfast and smashburgers and all that kinda stuff.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Reactor 4 is certainly a peak to behold...

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

The other day my wife wasn't really sure if she was going to get into Animal Crossing. Today she explained to me that she was going to use some iron to fix her axe, but she wants to focus on getting the bookshop open.

I think she's enjoying herself! That makes me happy!

My wife doesn't really play games, but has played the last 3 Animal Crossing games. She already has almost 300 hours logged in the new one. She gets absurdly into it. Its great, but means I never get any time on the Switch. Not a huge problem since Metroid got delayed though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

What is big deal? Graphite moderated reactor superior to capitalist reactor in almost all areas beside explodability. Other Tschernobyl reactor operate many year, no further explosion after safety enhancement! What better vision of future Capatalist corporation offer?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Coredump posted:

Which site did we use to make these? I need an update for 2020.

Maybe blingee? I can't remember but that's what popped into my head when I saw that gif.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I had a dream that I bought a small Kei car that you could just mash the accelerator in and it would make go noises and be fun. Was kinda sad when I woke up and realized that it was just a dream. :(

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

I'm too injured to play with real cars, but the deathtrap-kart is gaining more lethality:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I love the steering wheel

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That's mad Max as gently caress, love it.

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

freelop posted:

I love the steering wheel

And yes, the steering 'wheel' is zippy-tied on.

I aquired it roughly 5 years ago when I heard someone dumping something in our skip. It fell out the back of someones ute as wasn't tied down, then dropped into a skip. It's sat under my house all busted up since, and only last few months we've got it working and got rid of the old belt drive.

And before someone mentions it - yes a chain guard does exist.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Humphreys posted:

And before someone mentions it - yes a chain guard does exist.

We know they exist, yes, but do you have one :v:

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

Beach Bum posted:

We know they exist, yes, but do you have one :v:

What does your heart believe?

It got taken off but will be replaced by a stronger one now it's spinning metal, not a bit of rubber

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Tomarse posted:

Did someone in this thread recommend this youtube video? Thanks for doing so if it was you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRs-4AXb9_U

I've had it open in a tab on my PC for days and finally watched it tonight and was captivated by his stop motion skills and how everything moves around.

He had a video up on his youtube home page i watched earlier bout the process he goes through to make those videos.

Just splitting the engine from the transmission and getting it mounted on the engine stand took him Eight. Hours.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Water to air intercooler or water/meth injection ? This is rear mount and the turbo is pretty small so a front mount air:air intercooler is not ideal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I need glasses. Oh dear that was a right ballsup