Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone have good recs for thrillers like Assault on Precinct 13 or Green Room? Like, tense standoff horror but not horror movies. Not necessarily stuff like Die Hard or Dredd since they are more action movies, even if they are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Inside Man

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

The original Taking of Pelham 123 is extremely good. It was on Prime but looks like it's only available on hoopla right now which you may have access to through your library.

Hijackers take over a subway train in New York City and have a tense standoff with the police. Robert Shaw, Walter Matthau, and a younger Jerry Stiller. Great brassy musical score. It's excellent..

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Inside Man is such a great flick.

All the bit characters really make it.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
The objectively best movie on Disney Plus is The Straight Story, David Lynch at his most conventional and slowest. It got nominated for the Palme d’Or in 1999!

fakeedit: my favorite thing about this movie’s wikipedia page is David Lynch called it his most experimental film ever, which is hilarious

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The Art of Self Defense was perfect. It's like Fight Club made by Yorgos Lanthimos (The Lobster guy)

e: just to be clear, it's not made by Lanthimos! Just strongly reminded me

Martman fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 5, 2020

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone have good recs for thrillers like Assault on Precinct 13 or Green Room? Like, tense standoff horror but not horror movies. Not necessarily stuff like Die Hard or Dredd since they are more action movies, even if they are great.

Blue Ruin is by the same director as Green Room and it’s very much in the same vein. Blood Simple is by the Coen Brothers and is a great thriller.

The Thing is a horror movie but is also incredibly tense.

The Conversation is worth watching if you like paranoia style thrillers

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Martman posted:

The Art of Self Defense was perfect. It's like Fight Club made by Yorgos Lanthimos (The Lobster guy)

Well poo poo, I had zero interest in what I thought was a generic american comedy but now I am watching this asap.

veni veni veni posted:

Hold The Dark - my minority opinion but I liked it even more than Saulniers other movies.

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 5, 2020

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

veni veni veni posted:

The Invitation might work for you

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
a few episodes into Hollywood, and while it certainly isn't great TV (the usual Ryan Murphy tonal swings and scattershot plotting), it's at least entertaining, soapy trash to leave on in the background, at least when it's not completely up its own rear end about the Power of Hollywood to Change the World

when it lapses into the latter mode, it's pretty insufferable, i.e., there are scenes in the fourth and fifth episodes that consist of nothing but Eleanor Roosevelt and a roomful of old rich white Hollywood liberals jerking themselves off about how much woker they are than the rest of America. could almost be a parody of liberalism's tendency to fixate on surface-level representation over actually addressing systemic forms of oppression, but of course it's played completely straight, and from what I've heard, the show gets even worse in that regard by the end

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

veni veni veni posted:

wildly out of season but "Krampus" or "Rare Exports" are christmas themed movies i think fill your bill
that tales from the crypt movie "Demon Knight" is a very solid movie no one ever talks about
i've heard stellar things about "Don't Breathe" but haven't seen it
"You're Next" is a maybe. it might veer too far into "action"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Don't Breathe is great. Edge of my seat stuff for sure.

Demon Knight holds a special place in my heart mostly because it had a killer metal soundtrack which was one of my first CDs.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

InsertPotPun posted:

wildly out of season but "Krampus" or "Rare Exports" are christmas themed movies i think fill your bill
that tales from the crypt movie "Demon Knight" is a very solid movie no one ever talks about
i've heard stellar things about "Don't Breathe" but haven't seen it
"You're Next" is a maybe. it might veer too far into "action"

You're Next is great, it falls into my favorite movie genre where the victim turns the tables on the killers.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Would Night of the Living Dead count as a standoff movie? They are trapped in a house...

Also You're Next is A+ entertainment (I do think the next movie he did, The Guest, is better).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

nate fisher posted:

Would Night of the Living Dead count as a standoff movie? They are trapped in a house...

I actually feel like the Tom Savini remake might work better as a standoff movie just because the whole defense of the house with the zombies breaking in is so intense and visceral in the remake. But maybe I just feel that way because it was my first exposure to Savini makeup/gore as a kid and it really traumatized me(in the best way possible).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yo reality trash fans: Hulu added a bunch more Cutthroat Kitchen episodes at some point, all the way up to the 2016 season I think.

And yeah Hollywood isn't amazing but it's definitely good and hearing Jim Parsons berate someone into "letting me suck your cock until you're crosseyed" was great

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jolo posted:

The original Taking of Pelham 123 is extremely good. It was on Prime but looks like it's only available on hoopla right now which you may have access to through your library.

Hijackers take over a subway train in New York City and have a tense standoff with the police. Robert Shaw, Walter Matthau, and a younger Jerry Stiller. Great brassy musical score. It's excellent..

All-time classic. Anyone with Hoopla access who hasn't seen it should watch it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

One of the best endings of all time too.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Basebf555 posted:

I actually feel like the Tom Savini remake might work better as a standoff movie just because the whole defense of the house with the zombies breaking in is so intense and visceral in the remake. But maybe I just feel that way because it was my first exposure to Savini makeup/gore as a kid and it really traumatized me(in the best way possible).

Another Savini remake fan here. I think he did a great job, I sub his version in for Romero's original whenever I want to watch the first 3 dead films.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Solar Opposites is getting uniformly positive, glowing reviews. I'd be happy to be wrong about that show.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

david_a posted:

I started watching The People v. O.J. Simpson. I didn’t realize the Bronco chase was like 2 hours long. Looking forward to seeing how the trial gets messed up since the evidence seems like an utter slam dunk. I didn’t pay much attention to any of the details when it was happening and it’s also been a few years. Also speaking of the Kardashians, are they famous because their dad was OJ’s friend and part of his legal defense team? The show makes it very clear that nobody had ever heard of a Kardashian before this.

Watching it live was fairly incredible. One of pizza's biggest delivery day.`

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Had a A24 marathon this week with Good Time, Florida Project, The Lighthouse and Midsommar. I really liked all 4, quite a bit but The Florida Project was the standout. What an amazing film on all fronts. There was nothing I didn’t like about it tbh.

Also started binging Schitts Creek and I feel like a goddamn dummy for not starting it sooner. It’s hilarious as hell.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is anyone here using Peacock? It's available to Xfinity customers.

Would someone be able to check on the availability of some things?

-Law & Order (vanilla). Are all the season there?
-Miami Vice (1984 TV series). All the seasons? Is the season 1 episode "Evan" listed? This one is almost always not available on streaming platforms.

Might be late in answering or someone else did...

Law and Order...vanilla edition (far as I can tell) 8 seasons are there.

Miami Vice...nothing.

This is off a X1 on xfinity.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Relevant Q: how much Alfred Hitchcock Presents is on Peacock?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Edward Mass posted:

Is that supposed to be on there? That's a really good show. MeTV airs it at 1am and I've stayed up many nights to watch it.

That's a shame about Law and Order. I wonder what's up with the streaming rights to those older seasons. I know later on Warner and Universal sorta co-produced it, but the earlier ones are all Universal as far as I know.

I also wonder if Miami Vice will go up when it properly launches. The series is on NBC's website to watch for free, so Universal does have the streaming rights.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Edward Mass posted:

Shows 7 seasons...again, from xfinity.

Edit: As for Law & Order...was never up on the show but they have the SVU stuff, etc.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 5, 2020

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Colostomy Bag posted:

Shows 7 seasons...again, from xfinity.

Fuckin’ sweet! I’ve never seen seasons 5-7 streaming anywhere.

I’m also assuming this is going to be on Basic Peacock, because it would be criminal to put a 60-year-old program behind a paywall.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

if you're into weird poo poo, Putney Swope and Windy City Heat are both on Youtube.

Oh dang, Wizards is on there too.

fenix down fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 5, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

precision posted:

Yo reality trash fans: Hulu added a bunch more Cutthroat Kitchen episodes at some point, all the way up to the 2016 season I think.

Nice. It's the only one of those cooking shows I actually enjoy and it's been forever since they uploaded any new eps.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Edward Mass posted:

Fuckin’ sweet! I’ve never seen seasons 5-7 streaming anywhere.

I’m also assuming this is going to be on Basic Peacock, because it would be criminal to put a 60-year-old program behind a paywall.

Any specific episode you are looking for? I hate to lead anyone into it.

While I get for free (haha, Comcast gets a nice chunk of cash from me each month) they have commercials on it. They run around 45 secs to a minute.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yep! I watched it for the first time last year and was so impressed with it. Some older movies can feel kind of slow because modern movies can be so fast paced. Pelham is engrossing from start to finish. Awesome movie. I saw Assault on Precinct 13 for the first time last year also and had similar feeling about it and so when one comes up I always think of both.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Basebf555 posted:

I watched Dawn of the Dead first, so it was my first exposure to Savini gore. It also was the first movies my family rented on VHS. We even had to rent to VHS player. I did go see the Savini remake in the theater and loved it too. The ending with all the rednecks has always stuck with me, because it is not too far from the truth.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Martman posted:

I can confirm this is actually a pretty apt way to describe the film, and that it is in fact fuckin great

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

precision posted:

I can confirm this is actually a pretty apt way to describe the film, and that it is in fact fuckin great

Yup, watched this afternoon based on that description and loved it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Colostomy Bag posted:

Any specific episode you are looking for? I hate to lead anyone into it.

Not really. The reason I mentioned seasons 5-7 is because I've can't say I've seen any of those episodes. That being said, the Sorcerer's Apprentice is the episode I most want to watch (considering it never ran during the original run).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm 40 minutes in to Bad Education and it's really good.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Martman posted:

Ok, I finally watched this after meaning to for a couple months. It ruled, and that is a pretty accurate description.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

wizardofloneliness posted:

Ok, I finally watched this after meaning to for a couple months. It ruled, and that is a pretty accurate description.

I was also thinking "Karate Kid by way of Dostoevsky"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

George H.W. oval office posted:

Upload is very good and funny and is a much better interpretation of a future hellscape than Black Mirror could ever achieve.

This opinion is terrible, but I did watch 7 episodes of this show today somehow. I'll admit it's pretty entertaining but it's real dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Edward Mass posted:

Not really. The reason I mentioned seasons 5-7 is because I've can't say I've seen any of those episodes. That being said, the Sorcerer's Apprentice is the episode I most want to watch (considering it never ran during the original run).

Yep, that episode is on there and can play the episode.

I had some mindfuck because while searching this morning (It's not a bad interface...better than hulu I'll give it that) but had them broken up on presents/hour. So I'm looking and I'm like wtf, there were seven seasons showing yesterday now showing three. Checked later then realized the error of my ways because they were split. Blame it on an early morning.

Anything else anyone wants to know?

I get a laugh when I get it "free" but with ads. All I need to do is pay comcast around an extra $5 to get the adless experience. Yeah...ok. But on the X1 it does count down the time which is usually 40 seconds and so far seem to be in the right spot.