Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Push El Burrito posted:

Which day is owned by Uranus?

Every single one of them

It's just that great :smug:

E: Posture guy doesn't realize he's being mocked: https://twitter.com/alpharivelino/status/1257521501798117376?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/SilvercorpUsa/status/1257098586409644032

One day later:
https://twitter.com/camilateleSUR/status/1257491295947415553

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Every Uranday I walk outside at night and set up my telescope to look at Tuespiter.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I'm not a military genius but isn't announcing your plans of a strikeforce the day before you do it kind of a bad move tactically?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

No it makes perfect sense. Speaking of,

Strikeforce incursion into mod forum. 60 C-Spam, 2 PYF ex poo poo Posters @donoteat01

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Inceltown posted:

I'm not a military genius but isn't announcing your plans of a strikeforce the day before you do it kind of a bad move tactically?

They just assume that nobody in Vennywhozwha can understand American.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Wait. They announced what they were going to do on twitter, in advance!?!

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
Noted shitbird LL McKinney, involved in the campaign of hate that drove YA writer Amelie Wen Zhao off of social media and almost got her book cancelled, is now dragging Gaiman for allegedly minimising H.P. Lovecraft's racism:

https://twitter.com/ElleOnWords/status/1256835441992642563 (I don't know how the gently caress to embed tweets)

Gaiman's response where he rebuffed the claims but admitted he misspoke:
https://twitter.com/neilhimself/status/1256989494647173123

It's kinda hard to get to the root of it 2 entire internet days later with the number of retweets and poo poo in there (a la the recent RDJ blackface threads) but lots of slinging mud that's going to stick like poo poo to a blanket. Gaiman's worded it really bad, and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt given previous comments on how much of a terrible racist HPL is.

EDIT 2: Forgot pixelatedboat's take:

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1257436511265488897

crowtribe has a new favorite as of 12:58 on May 5, 2020

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I just don't get why anyone ever believed Lovecraft wasn't afraid of people of colour (and women, and Italians, and the Welsh, and so on). Dude wrote horror where the threat of miscegenation was just as, if not more, terrifying than the nightmare eldritch monsters. He was a huge racist who was cripplingly afraid of the Other, because he was incredibly loving racist. They're not mutually exclusive and the fear doesn't absolve him of anything.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

cptn_dr posted:

I just don't get why anyone ever believed Lovecraft wasn't afraid of people of colour (and women, and Italians, and the Welsh, and so on). Dude wrote horror where the threat of miscegenation was just as, if not more, terrifying than the nightmare eldritch monsters. He was a huge racist who was cripplingly afraid of the Other, because he was incredibly loving racist. They're not mutually exclusive and the fear doesn't absolve him of anything.

He was also terrified of air conditioners. There's stories he wrote about them. On the note of racism, the die hard Lovecraft community is really strange. Some have weapons grade brain worms about separating the works from the author's racism. Thanks to that, another part of the community snaps back extra hard and jumps on the slightest hint that Lovecraft wasn't an rear end in a top hat.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

crowtribe posted:

Gaiman's worded it really bad, and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt given previous comments on how much of a terrible racist HPL is.

it's just that internet thing where you blatantly misread what someone said so you can attack them as being worse than they really are

like it's known that HPL was 1) even by the standards of the time, a massive racist and 2) scared of literally everything. it's very likely that his fear drove his racism to a large degree. this isn't to say that we should excuse his racism because he couldn't help being scared or anything silly like that, but if we want to try to understand notable people it's good to understand why they may have said or done inexcusable things. what is the alternative - that we just say HPL was a huge racist for ??? reasons because racism is just unknowable?

anyway in modern media outrage itself is a consumer product and stoking outrage brings you benefits, the outrage doesn't need to be well sourced so long as it connects you to your audience. gaiman could have used better words here but i think he was just speaking from a mindset that anyone interested in talking about HPL biographically would probably be aware of facts (1), (2) above and thus wouldn't be so silly as to think that anyone would actually try to defend HPL

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I'm curious about with recluses like Lovecraft - would the internet have made them better or worse? On the one hand he could have fallen into a pit like one of the many alt-right forums like Reddit and got worse, but on the other hand, if he went to twitter or something like that those sites make it impossible to be a recluse. Everything you say gets responded to, so he'd have many people calling him out on his weirder fears, and certainly there's a good chance he'd have doubled down and become a Twitter Main Character, but there is also a chance that being exposed to alternate viewpoints could have got him questioning his assumptions. Basically, if you are online you can't easily hide from the world, it's right there. It's a fun thing to think about.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I'm curious about with recluses like Lovecraft - would the internet have made them better or worse? On the one hand he could have fallen into a pit like one of the many alt-right forums like Reddit and got worse, but on the other hand, if he went to twitter or something like that those sites make it impossible to be a recluse. Everything you say gets responded to, so he'd have many people calling him out on his weirder fears, and certainly there's a good chance he'd have doubled down and become a Twitter Main Character, but there is also a chance that being exposed to alternate viewpoints could have got him questioning his assumptions. Basically, if you are online you can't easily hide from the world, it's right there. It's a fun thing to think about.

Worse, absolutely. He'd be an iosm regular feature

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I'm unclear why people who appreciate Lovecraft's stories are somehow not allowed to recognize that he was a massive, racist weirdo.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

BioEnchanted posted:

HPL was famously prolific in terms of corresponding with people, he definitely wasn't a recluse in terms of sharing ideas with others. guy was constantly interacting with other people on an intellectual level, he definitely wasn't hiding away from the world

a lot of HPL's fear and disdain probably came from that he kept suffering these big victorian tragedies regarding parental figures and family dying when he was a child, compounding a level of haughtiness and overintellectual simplification of the world which is extremely modern internet guy in outlook

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 14:23 on May 5, 2020

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The best modern lovecraftian fiction confronts that racism head on: Lovecraft Country, and Ballad of Black Tom are absolute must reads.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
HPL's early life and family were extremely hosed up and he was scared of super weird things, and afraid of going crazy like both his parents. He admitted a bunch of his stories that were about someone discovering their hosed ip family history only to degenerate to the same level were based on his fear of being like his asylum-bound parents. I imagine those other factors compounded normal old timey racism into whatever weird breed of superracism he had. He also seemed to think hillbillies were subhuman, but Im not sure I can disagree with that.

Oh also his wife couldn't get him to gently caress her, he thought men were only horny till like age 19 and by the time his wife was randy he'd aged out of it.

He was profoundly fuckin weird.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

So what youre saying is that his fear came true?

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

x ampersand oh posted:

None of these things are true, for the record.

1. She is not a terf, period end of story (There is a song called "Sex Changes" but that is about sex... changing.. things. Not gender reassignment. )

2. She did not have a flash mob wedding? She was married at Michael Chabon's house, for starters with a bunch of other famous authors there.
(Yes it's true that I'm an old school fan of hers but I only remember this bc I was doing a news blog for a record store when she got married and I wrote an article on it.)

3. The "did not pay her band" story is actually completely distorted and false:
She HAD a touring band. A paid touring band. The same band she made that album with.
She HAD opening acts. They were paid, too.
A few pages back, just wanted to chime in and say I'm a friend of Gaiman's friend, I've stayed at that Chabon house and spent a weekend with Gaiman, and this is all true. He is back in the UK and decided to quarantine here. I don't know why, I haven't spoken with him since January.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Scratch Monkey posted:

I'm unclear why people who appreciate Lovecraft's stories are somehow not allowed to recognize that he was a massive, racist weirdo.

I think a lot of it is that once you're aware of it, his bigotry is really clear in his writing - a lot of his stories are about unapproachable monsters intruding on human life and even mixing into it with cross-breeding etc. So if you're a fan of his work, and the work is fundamentally about being racist, it can be uncomfortable to think you've been such a big fan of outright bigotry, leading one to reject the idea.

I think that's what Gaiman was getting at in the quote that started this derail - that the appealing parts of his stories (and the genre they spawned) wasn't the bigotry, it was the existential fear behind it, and that's okay to relate to.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Do y’all know the name of Lovecrafts cat?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Racistman?

Seconding the love for The Ballad of Black Tom. Victor LaValle is fantastic.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

A cat would not be named man.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Sorry to go back to the Amanda Palmer chat, but does anyone have a link to what she's talking about here? I listened to the entirety of that very mediocre album and didn't catch anything. I listened to the song she specifically mentioned in the replies; "Blake Says" very carefully and didn't hear anything like what she's talking about.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Yeah, like, Lovecraft was really really loving good at writing skin-crawling, existential horror, largely because that was his whole mental landscape. Dude wrote about fear because he was afraid of everything. A large part of his own personal existential horror was built on horrifying racism, and once you realise that this reflects in his work, often metaphorically, then that colours his work for you. Either you reject him entirely, or you can take it as it is and enjoy the skin crawling horror while examining the horrific racism with a grain of salt.

The dude's dead. He isn't getting royalties any more, and there's nothing to be gained from boycotting him. You can enjoy the existential horror of Innsmouth and "oh god they're fish people oh god I'm also a fish people" on a surface level without guilt. If you don't want to engage with miscegenation metaphors, you don't need to, because that's not really a necessary part of enjoying the story. If you'd rather just take the story as a flavour of "unnatural hybrid" style body horror, you can do that, because that's not a wrong interpretation.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The tweet's gone now sadly, but those tactical tips have some real protip energy

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

BioEnchanted posted:

Definitely worse. I mean, this thread already regularly features a racist guy who's afraid to leave his house. HPL would probably make friends with Prison Paul and instead of channeling his fears into good horror stories, he'd tweet about how there are black people outside and this makes him angry.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I can’t believe that we’ve gotten this far into a discussion about HP Lovecraft without someone posting this vid already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmdzptbykzI

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As a Welsh, it brings me joy that my presence is enough to bring fear into the guy who scared other people professionally.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You can also just laugh at the idea that Shadow over Innsmouth and the mounting, mind-shattering horror present in that book, was the only thing Lovecraft could think of after learning that he had a fuckin Welsh ancestor. That's, all other aspects aside, hilarious.

Lovecraft's racism was so blatant that you can't not revel in its absurdity. Like that one Sartre quote about anti-Semitism goons are always posting, you've already lost if you're trying to engage bigots on their level, but Lovecraft takes racism to its natural conclusion and shows that it is, definitively, ridiculous.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Oh hey CNN
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/05/americas/venezuela-maduro-americans-failed-invasion-intl/index.html

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

Regalingualius posted:

I can’t believe that we’ve gotten this far into a discussion about HP Lovecraft without someone posting this vid already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmdzptbykzI

This is half an hour long and opens with this image:

I'm going to give it a miss.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You're genuinely missing out.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

E: wrong thread!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

The video is real good, honestly.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Beartaco posted:

Sorry to go back to the Amanda Palmer chat, but does anyone have a link to what she's talking about here? I listened to the entirety of that very mediocre album and didn't catch anything. I listened to the song she specifically mentioned in the replies; "Blake Says" very carefully and didn't hear anything like what she's talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h57XWrFNGs8
Timestamp is at around 5:10

Edit:

It's important to know that she completely skips over the fact that the album in question was released when she was 32. "I did a really lovely thing when I was 18 and I regret it. But I had no problems using it to make money a dozen years later."

The General has a new favorite as of 17:28 on May 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

d3lness posted:

He was also terrified of air conditioners. There's stories he wrote about them. On the note of racism, the die hard Lovecraft community is really strange. Some have weapons grade brain worms about separating the works from the author's racism. Thanks to that, another part of the community snaps back extra hard and jumps on the slightest hint that Lovecraft wasn't an rear end in a top hat.

I did not know that the brave little toaster was lovecraftian.