Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

has costco ever sold yeast? I went to the Restaurant Depot near me and they had flour aplenty but no yeast, apparently a supply chain problem

Yes, but it depends on the location.

Limerick doesn't have King Arthur flour or yeast, North Wales has KA but no yeast, King of Prussia has KA and yeast (under normal circumstances). Currently the supply chain issues are making it worse, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

if anyone is on the fence about an air fryer the cuisinart toaster/air fryer combo is god damned amazing. i bought one a few months ago and i use it every day now. a+

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Yeah I have the 6qt Gourmia air fryer and I use it multiple times per week now. It’s amazing for reheating leftovers quickly without turning them soggy like a microwave, and it makes nice crispy chicken wings.

Nice for frozen foods too, although I haven’t figured out the magic times and temps to do mozzarella sticks without the cheese leaking everywhere.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The calaphon toaster with convection is working really well for me 5 months on. Very glad to have it, as my big oven is terrifying and makes the entire apartment 10 degrees warmer. I use this toaster to do everything from bake bread, to dehydrating fresh herbs, to making big casserole tray bakes. If you have an oven you hate, this little toaster is great.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Suspect Bucket posted:

The calaphon toaster with convection is working really well for me 5 months on. Very glad to have it, as my big oven is terrifying and makes the entire apartment 10 degrees warmer. I use this toaster to do everything from bake bread, to dehydrating fresh herbs, to making big casserole tray bakes. If you have an oven you hate, this little toaster is great.

I was wringing my hands about buying a toaster oven for a long time (will I use it, will it gather dust and take up space, is it that much better than an oven) and holy poo poo, this might be the best appliance purchase I've ever made. I bought a Breville on deep discount and I use it almost daily. It's perfect. Takes like 10% as long as my large oven to heat up and holds temperature a million times better. It's so nice.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Toaster ovens are the king of reheating pizza

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

canyoneer posted:

Also this. Get the broiler going at the end to crisp the cheese back up.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
Goddamn yes. A good toaster oven is boss. We had an old regular Black and Decker one that finally gave up the ghost (your cord starts sparking, you gotta go) and I picked up the Breville one a while back. loving love it. A+ would buy again.

PBUC

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

canyoneer posted:

Combo microwave and finish in a skillet does a drat good job too.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
My wife and I really wanted a toaster oven, and her parents bought us a margarita machine instead.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

StormDrain posted:

My wife and I really wanted a toaster oven, and her parents bought us a margarita machine instead.

They want grandchildren and aren't being subtle

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Reheating pizza what the hell is wrong with everyone

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

KakerMix posted:

Reheating pizza what the hell is wrong with everyone

For real

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Every once in a while I pick up a big pack of the 5oz cans of tuna. Well, last time I was their they had 3 types of albacore but 0 of the regular skipjack. Albacore sucks. It's super dry and has more mercury. Tuna salad works well and I'll try it with Tuna Helper or something but I can't add it to a salad. I have to use it in something and can't eat it plain.

Has anyone else seen this and been out of the regular stuff?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I got a pack of pizza shells and some shredded mozza at the co yesterday and my kids are so excited at the prospect of “making” their own pizza it was the easiest parenting win ever.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

priznat posted:

I got a pack of pizza shells and some shredded mozza at the co yesterday and my kids are so excited at the prospect of “making” their own pizza it was the easiest parenting win ever.

if you see a bread maker at a garage sale (a distant memory in these socially distanced times, I know) they usually have a "dough" mode that makes it trivial to make your own crust. It literally takes about 15 minutes more time than those premade crusts and it's way tastier. Just put in the ingredients and go away for an hour and a half while it runs, roll it out on a pizza stone, and bake the crust.
  • 1C warm water
  • 2 1/2 cup flour
  • 5 tsp olive oil
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp instant dry yeast
Roll out, make holes in center area with fork to prevent it rising, bake for 15m at 350F. Top pizza, bake for 10-15 minutes at 375 and broil for last 2 minutes to brown cheese and toppings.

Only gotcha is, don't put the salt right on the yeast, it'll kill them. Maybe put the water in first, then salt, then make a mountain with the flour and make a little dimple to put the yeast in.

Oh and you'll need to dial in the exact amount of flour, just open it up while it's mixing and if it looks like mush then add a tsp flour, if it's spinning around in a ball instead of mixing then add a little water and stick a spoon in for a few seconds to help it mix the water in.

It is waaayy tastier than a red baron or whatever, and it's not really that much effort with the bread maker, it does all the dirty work on the dough.

On that note - does anyone know if Costco carries a big bag of pepperoni? I know Gordon Food Service carries them, haven't seen one at Costco though.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 5, 2020

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

if you see a bread maker at a garage sale (a distant memory in these socially distanced times, I know) they usually have a "dough" mode that makes it trivial to make your own crust. It literally takes about 15 minutes more time than those premade crusts and it's way tastier. Just put in the ingredients and go away for an hour and a half while it runs, roll it out on a pizza stone, and bake the crust.
  • 1C warm water
  • 2 1/2 cup flour
  • 5 tsp olive oil
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp yeast
Roll out, make holes in center area with fork to prevent it rising, bake for 15m at 350F. Top pizza, bake for 10-15 minutes at 375 and broil for last 2 minutes to brown cheese and toppings.

Only gotcha is, don't put the salt right on the yeast, it'll kill them. Maybe put the water in first, then salt, then make a mountain with the flour and make a little dimple to put the yeast in.

It is waaayy tastier than a red baron or whatever, and it's not really that much effort with the bread maker, it does all the dirty work on the dough.

On that note - does anyone know if Costco carries a big bag of pepperoni? I know Gordon Food Service carries them, haven't seen one at Costco though.

I had bought a bread maker a while back (sunbeam) but was disappointed by the bread quality so I took it back. Would be fun to try making some dough too!

Also for pepperoni do you mean the dried sticks or the slices? I see the dried sticks by the jerky (non refrigerated snack area) quite a bit.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

priznat posted:

I had bought a bread maker a while back (sunbeam) but was disappointed by the bread quality so I took it back. Would be fun to try making some dough too!

Also for pepperoni do you mean the dried sticks or the slices? I see the dried sticks by the jerky (non refrigerated snack area) quite a bit.

just like a big bag of pre-sliced pepperoni, I'm tired of paying $3 for a tiny little bag at kroger

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Alarbus posted:

Limerick doesn't have King Arthur flour or yeast, North Wales has KA but no yeast, King of Prussia has KA and yeast (under normal circumstances). Currently the supply chain issues are making it worse, yes

i thought you were shitposting esp when you said King of Prussia

apparently that's a real place

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

just like a big bag of pre-sliced pepperoni, I'm tired of paying $3 for a tiny little bag at kroger

do you have a restaurant depot or costco business center? Tig ol bag of pep

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

• 1C warm water
  • 2 1/2 cup flour
  • 5 tsp olive oil
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp instant dry yeast

Oh and you'll need to dial in the exact amount of flour, just open it up while it's mixing and if it looks like mush then add a tsp flour, if it's spinning around in a ball instead of mixing then add a little water and stick a spoon in for a few seconds to help it mix the water in.

I learned something today. I always wondered why some crusts had those dimples in them.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Alarbus posted:

Hell yea a 422 limerick goon, RiP Hilltop

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

like for real i had to wonder out loud if england had costco

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Do the UK Costcos, like, go in the opposite direction? Can you get a bacon butty at the foodcourt?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

do they put the beans and bread next to each other

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It’s always shocking to me how fast my family can go through a container of croissants from costco. Almost need to get 2(but really shouldn’t for our heart health)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

priznat posted:

It’s always shocking to me how fast my family can go through a container of croissants from costco. Almost need to get 2(but really shouldn’t for our heart health)

Every time we buy a croissant bin from Costco we hand out as many as we can to our neighbors. Way too much bread for just two people, plenty for 5 households!

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Clavavisage posted:

Hell yea a 422 limerick goon, RiP Hilltop

gently caress yes Hilltop burgers rule.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

KakerMix posted:

Every time we buy a croissant bin from Costco we hand out as many as we can to our neighbors. Way too much bread for just two people, plenty for 5 households!

Get the bag of shredded chicken near the rotisserie, a bag of almonds, flat of oranges, a giant jar of mayo, and the croissants, chop the almonds and zest and juice 2 oranges and make almond chicken orange salad with the croissants and proceed to eat nothing but those for 3 days straight because you are in heaven. Can use walnuts as an addition or substitution depending on preference.

If you are so inclined you can make your own fresh olive oil mayo with the cuisinart immersion blender, 1/2 cup of olive oil, 1 and 1/2 cups of vegetable oil 2 eggs and juice of half a lime or lemon, and 1 tbsp of mustard.

Washout fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 6, 2020

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Chinatown posted:

Do the UK Costcos, like, go in the opposite direction? Can you get a bacon butty at the foodcourt?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I want jacket potatoes and a cottage pie.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i actually love british food, especially in pubs that have a full menu. mushy peas are delicious, malted vinegar on chips. :discourse:

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
This is from my trip to a UK food court 3 years ago. The double breasted sandwich was awesome.

There are currently Costcos in the UK, Spain, France, Australia, Japan, Taiwan, China, Mexico, and Iceland.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I want jacket potatoes and a cottage pie.

im sure they do too

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

poverty goat posted:

make your own dumplings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKzg4La4C3Q

once you dumpling you can dump anything

That is one weird rear end person doing the video, but it's a solid recipe. My partner makes dumplings for us regularly, and I agree that the pre-made aren't anywhere as good as just making them yourself.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Sohla is really gaining traction as being one of the best chefs BA has to offer, weirdass or not. Wait til you see what she does to carbonara!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Orvin posted:

I learned something today. I always wondered why some crusts had those dimples in them.

yep, exactly, the (edge-)crust is supposed to rise, the center is not. Poke it with a fork and the (center-)crust won't be strong enough to resist the gas bubbles popping out. otherwise you get a bubbly crust.

gently caress, my parents had a recipe card for the ingredients but it didn't have the times+temps and I'm halfassing them based on my memory and my first breadmaker pizza in a long time, I hope they're right. my first crust with a 10 min first baking cycle was definitely just on the underbaked side so I'm saying 15m.

we used to make this all the time, so the recipe works, just trying to re-discover the times+temps. It's real good if you dust the pan and dough with cornmeal while you're rolling it out, it gives the crust a nice texture. Regardless of which flour, you will have to dust the crust a bit while rolling or it will stick to the pin, it's sticky after rising (:quagmire:)

compared to red baron or whatever, it's a very basic and healthy recipe. No HFCS or whatever, just whatever's in the pizza sauce basically, and you can try and select that. other than that it's just cheese, pepperoni, flour water salt yeast.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 6, 2020

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I went to several Costcos in the UK and the one outside Edinburgh had Dalwhinnie cheaper than at the Distillery.

I do not abide their food court though. No one wants to eat a “jacket potato” with tuna.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m late for pizza chat but I made this the other day and it came out fantastic, it was a huge hit

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

binge crotching posted:

That is one weird rear end person doing the video, but it's a solid recipe. My partner makes dumplings for us regularly, and I agree that the pre-made aren't anywhere as good as just making them yourself.

Sohla owns, gently caress you