Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I need glasses. Oh dear that was a right ballsup

How many EZ30 valves did you destroy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tomarse posted:

Did someone in this thread recommend this youtube video? Thanks for doing so if it was you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRs-4AXb9_U

I've had it open in a tab on my PC for days and finally watched it tonight and was captivated by his stop motion skills and how everything moves around.

This is a cool effect, but it's driving me nuts that he's welding dirty rear end pieces of metal without cleaning them first.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Previa_fun posted:

gently caress hail.

Sometimes the planet needs to remind us exactly how much we're in charge.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I need glasses. Oh dear that was a right ballsup

Can't wait to hear what the problem was.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
we are hosed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBXZhFekv6Q

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Stop watching the news dude

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This was in my recommended videos.

What's an insulting name for Gen Xers?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I use the BlockTube extension to aggressively curate my recommended list to get rid of all the poo poo.

For some reason YouTube thinks I'm interested in the lifestyles of Bollywood stars, trips to shopping malls in Bangkok, and conservative media horseshit. It's all gone now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Some of this stuff has useful information and I do enjoy watching the idiot at work lose his poo poo every day.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Rhyno posted:

layabouts

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Stop watching the news dude

:emptyquote:

We have been casually watching local classifieds for an air hockey table to put in our basement. I have considered getting a new one, we passed on a few because :effort: and timing and wondering if we REALLY wanted one but I have wanted a commercial grade one. Not some crappy thing that just doesn't work. My wife checked the other day and found an 8 foot Dynamo that looked nearly brand new for $1200. My wife wanted me to do the work but I let her do the texting back and forth. She was excited to tell me the dude still had it, she talked to her brother that has a truck/enclosed trailer and he said he would help us pick it up. She was like "I bet we could get it for less, should I try Maybe if we can get it for $1000?" So I told her sure, go nuts, tell the dude we will be there with $1000 cash and a truck/trailer/people to load it up and haul it off. He said yes, so we went and bought it last night. It took me plus three of my neighbors to get it in the house. Might as well have bought a grand piano. I will say modern/new homes with very wide hallways and stairs are a treat. Had zero issues with banging into walls and the like.

It is a Dynamo Pro Style 8 footer and the thing looks basically brand new. Has the cover and mallets and pucks and everything. It has the knockouts for stuff like coin operation and all. It is WILD. I have a freaking air hockey table in my basement.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

It is a Dynamo Pro Style 8 footer and the thing looks basically brand new. Has the cover and mallets and pucks and everything. It has the knockouts for stuff like coin operation and all. It is WILD. I have a freaking air hockey table in my basement.

That's awesome, now you have to post a pic :v:

My son loves air hockey and would freak out if we got something like that....No basements in Florida tho :(

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
that rules, Somewhat Heroic

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Anyone have one of those gas flat top griddles made for outdoor use? I've noticed lots of them for sale lately so they must be a thing now, would be pretty cool to whip poo poo up like it was a diner flat top, breakfast and smashburgers and all that kinda stuff.

We have one at the vacation house, but don't know what to do with it. Are you supposed to make 50 pancakes at a time or something?
- This could be a problem with only being there with my family, not like 6 families.

I think it was a gift, I have never turned it on.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

blindjoe posted:

We have one at the vacation house, but don't know what to do with it. Are you supposed to make 50 pancakes at a time or something?
- This could be a problem with only being there with my family, not like 6 families.

Send it to me :)

I'd get the small one if i do get one, I'm not gonna start a pancake house or something :v:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Bonus was the dude that these great standing steps made that slide right under the table he also gave us which is perfect for height limited humans.

Please ignore my goon hovel. We eventually plan on getting a better couch to fit the media room space once we are sure our kids won't destroy furniture. That was the couch I bought when I became a big boy and moved out of my parents ~12 years ago. It is still really comfortable to sit on and watch movies.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

drat I wish I had a basement for a home theater and rec room!

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Somewhat Heroic posted:

It took me plus three of my neighbors to get it in the house. Might as well have bought a grand piano.
Sounds like my pool table at my old house. I built a sled for the (one piece) slate and bolted some brackets to my garage floor so we could use rope and pulleys to slowly slide the slate and then table down the stairs on moving blankets. Getting it down there worked great but removing it is the new owner's problem.

Congrats on the new toy!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

blindjoe posted:

"heat zones"
You can smash a burger, toast your buns, cook an egg over easy, and fry up bacon all at the same time on the same stove top.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

drat I wish I had a basement for a home theater and rec room!

Basements rule. I feel bad for places and states that don't have them. Our basement is comically huge, same square footage as upstairs. At this point I would definitely go back and buy a smaller house by ~700 sqft or more. There are three full bedrooms with walk in closets, dry storage, cold storage, a wet bar/kitchenette space, full bath. The rec room space is like 24 feet long. I could probably get a pool table in there too with plenty of space. Maybe something for the future :shrug:. Right now two of the bedrooms are set up as guest rooms and the other is my wife's relaxation space with a sauna.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My basement is about 400 sq ft, it was a key feature for the purchase as it gave me the space I've always wanted for my nerdy poo poo.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

My dad converted half his basement into a rental apartment. I'm seriously considering un-converting it when I move in with him. Such a waste. His current tenants are trashing the place. Luckily it's all concrete so if I have to just rip everything out and power wash it I can. There's a 30 x 30 wide open area with no posts or anything, my sister and I wanted to rollerskate in it when we were kids, unfortunately my parents built shelves so we couldnt.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Anyone have one of those gas flat top griddles made for outdoor use? I've noticed lots of them for sale lately so they must be a thing now, would be pretty cool to whip poo poo up like it was a diner flat top, breakfast and smashburgers and all that kinda stuff.

Yeah I've got a 22" Blackstone. It's pretty rad, made some killer smash burgers the other night. I've done porkchops and a couple other dinners on it. Waiting for our weather to warm up so I can make some breakfasts.

Currently I'm modifying a harborfreight cart to make a sweet griddle cart. I'm bad, but it should work out alright.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Basements rule. I feel bad for places and states that don't have them. Our basement is comically huge, same square footage as upstairs. At this point I would definitely go back and buy a smaller house by ~700 sqft or more. There are three full bedrooms with walk in closets, dry storage, cold storage, a wet bar/kitchenette space, full bath. The rec room space is like 24 feet long. I could probably get a pool table in there too with plenty of space. Maybe something for the future :shrug:. Right now two of the bedrooms are set up as guest rooms and the other is my wife's relaxation space with a sauna.

I have the same setup. In Canada we call it a bungalow. Basically a slightly elevated rancher with a matching basement. The kitchen upstairs is a theater/media room downstairs, the upstairs living room is a bar and games room downstairs (thinking billiards or maybe poker table, bar is already set up)
Master bedroom up is workout room down, upstairs office is laundry down, and then guest upstairs is a empty room downstairs.

Unfortunately I had 2 floods and an insurance claim and even afterward I has some small moisture issues during spring breakup. Wood foundation allows water to seep when it's pooled up against the outside (it runs down the foundation and then seeps in over the concrete pad.)

So last summer I had contractors come in, install window wells, perforated pipes down to the weeping tile, and built up clay soil against the foundation about 10" to allow a slop away from the house. No moisture issues this year despite probaby 4' of snow pack near the house.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Basements own. I'm not entirely sure why New Mexico doesn't really do them... maybe because we're prone to occasional flash floods? Apparently 20 years ago they had a couple feet water running through the streets down to the river, although we've now got some pretty serious flood control infrastructure in town.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The regional existence of basements is usually directly proportional to the amount of tornadoes.

Lotta basements in Indiana.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Rhyno posted:

The regional existence of basements is usually directly proportional to the amount of tornadoes.

Lotta basements in Indiana.

I live in a split-level for a reason.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Pham Nuwen posted:

Basements own. I'm not entirely sure why New Mexico doesn't really do them... maybe because we're prone to occasional flash floods? Apparently 20 years ago they had a couple feet water running through the streets down to the river, although we've now got some pretty serious flood control infrastructure in town.

Basements correlate with how easy it is to dig and the water table.
Sacramento has very few basements. However, my parents live at the start of a hill, so they have a half basement while the people on the top have glorious finish worthy basements.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
half of my city (Grande Prairie) is built on annexed farm fields and swamp. The basements all have sump systems that pump out water 24/7 onto the street. Like entire neighborhoods where you can't drive a freshly washed car for fear of driving across water streams on the road. Luckily my place was built in '86 so the good land wasn't used up yet.

If there was an extended power outage, some of these places would be hosed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

places with lots of freeze/thaw issues tend to not do well with finished basements.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

places with lots of freeze/thaw issues tend to not do well with finished basements.

Umm, half of new England has finished basements. What makes your think that freeze/thaw means no finished basements?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sharkytm posted:

Umm, half of new England has finished basements. What makes your think that freeze/thaw means no finished basements?

It doesn't mean there aren't any, it just means that they don't work very well. Half the house issues I saw in New England were due to people's lovely basements. I was happy our house was on a slab. If you want storage space put up a garage.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I am going to build in Indiana, don’t want a basement.

Never lived in a house where it didn’t have problems with water, mold, structural issues, rodents or snakes. gently caress that, why pay more for more problems. Give me a slab with a designated storm room inside.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

In Texas, at least North Texas and South Texas, where I have lived, basements on residences are pretty much non-existent. Large buildings have them, but not houses. Only the (very) occasional root/storm cellar, and that's usually only *mostly* underground - usually it's an artificial hillock.
Which is why jonathan's post confused me for a minute. Grand Prairie, TX is a suburb of Dallas.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Darchangel posted:

In Texas, at least North Texas and South Texas, where I have lived, basements on residences are pretty much non-existent. Large buildings have them, but not houses. Only the (very) occasional root/storm cellar, and that's usually only *mostly* underground - usually it's an artificial hillock.
Which is why jonathan's post confused me for a minute. Grand Prairie, TX is a suburb of Dallas.

Oh yeah, different spelling. Grande Prairie.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

For the longest time suburban houses here were cookie cutter two-floor houses with optionally a detached garage, and basements were rare. Then in the 80s they started to ban building the drat things because construction got shittier and shittier and their ability to withstand an earthquake was already pretty dubious. The late 80s evolution of them was 3 bedrooms and two bathrooms over a finished "basement" (actually the ground floor) and two-car garage. Basement suites became pretty much standard to legally build in the late 90s so every suburban home built in the Vancouver region is now garage+kitchen+combination dining and living room+absurd foyer with bedrooms+bathrooms+den on top and one and a half basement suites below (usually one legal basement suite that's rented out and one half-suite where you shove grandma when she can't drive to the grocery store anymore).

I'd love one of the 60s/70s ones slightly updated, but amazingly the late 80s/early 90s ones are *less* expensive despite having needed less reno work done on them. That being said, less expensive in this context is "a million dollars instead of a million and a half", sooo I will never own a house :smith:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rhyno posted:

Rhynos

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

STR posted:

How many EZ30 valves did you destroy?

None.

Darchangel posted:

Can't wait to hear what the problem was.

If it starts then I'll say. But goddamn glasses needed with multiple people

I AM NOT A RHYNO

I have not had sex on floor

Altho given I wont be able to see my wife for some time due to borders being closed I think it'll be abut 2 seconds after seeing her again. Which might be embarrassing if it's at an airport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If it starts then I'll say. But goddamn glasses needed with multiple people

I'm reminded of how I learned that neither of my brothers have even the slightest bit of mechanical aptitude between the two of them. They're both sharp guys in other ways, which made this all the more amusing. Youngest brother had a 280ZX (that my wife had given him) and the battery died in it. They replaced the battery but afterwards it was still acting stone dead, so I got tasked with figuring it out.

Popped the hood, grabbed a multimeter, and attempted to probe the battery.

They left the plastic cap on the negative terminal.