Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you've done any of the ME3 DLC it's almost impossible now to enter the final mission with low war assets, even if you never play a single game of MP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

exquisite tea posted:

If you've done any of the ME3 DLC it's almost impossible now to enter the final mission with low war assets, even if you never play a single game of MP.

Ah, that sounds likely, I didn't have any.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anything for The Council? I understand it has some RPG elements, are there any skills to be avoided?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

anilEhilated posted:

Anything for The Council?

I love that game. You can really pick whatever you like, but politics is maybe less useful than most, and linguistics is more useful for flavour than for beating the game. Subterfuge is strong.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Oh dear me posted:

[...] linguistics is more useful for flavour than for beating the game.

This is just a general life tip.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

anilEhilated posted:

Anything for The Council? I understand it has some RPG elements, are there any skills to be avoided?

Skills mostly serve as hints for what the "correct" choices are by giving important context clues to the situation, filling out NPC weakness/immunities, & providing you insights into their plots. However, IIRC no ending is locked because you don't have the right skill.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Here's one that's probably not going to get any replies: Fate Seeker at some point last week actually got a very competent (at least more competent than Tales Of Wuxia) English fan translation. Any fans of Chinese cRPGs here that can give me some tips as a heads up of what I'm going into?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I just started playing Borderlands 3, and I would say I feel like an idiot for not knowing how to do this, but I think it's Gearbox's fault. I've got three vehicles in my "Catch-a-ride" stash now, and I can't figure out how to spawn in either the second or third type. I can only spawn in the first type. Can someone confirm a step-by-step process for spawning in something other than the first vehicle you get access to? Even if I try to change the body type of the vehicle in the first slot, it only has the original vehicle body available to use.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

ahobday posted:

I just started playing Borderlands 3, and I would say I feel like an idiot for not knowing how to do this, but I think it's Gearbox's fault. I've got three vehicles in my "Catch-a-ride" stash now, and I can't figure out how to spawn in either the second or third type. I can only spawn in the first type. Can someone confirm a step-by-step process for spawning in something other than the first vehicle you get access to? Even if I try to change the body type of the vehicle in the first slot, it only has the original vehicle body available to use.
I GOTCHA BIG THREADDY

You hit "use" rather than "respawn vehicle" (obviously, you know that part)

Then you click the "picture of the vehicle" section, click on the one you want, go back to the previous screen, and select "deploy vehicle" (whatever button you have assigned to that). If you do not select "deploy vehicle" you will logically assume you set everything up properly, and will also be incorrect.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

anilEhilated posted:

Id recommend by first trying to get at least one point on every skill, that way you have options. Also search around thoroughly, you can get books and such that will give you more skill points between chapters.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Any more tips for Horizon Zero Dawn apart from what's already on the wiki?

Specifically:
  • Any missables
  • Any skills that I should beeline towards

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Vidaeus posted:

Specifically:
  • Any missables

There are no missables.

Get the skill that lets you slow down time while aiming asap. Also I don't remember if they're skills but being able to whistle to attract the attention of enemies and doing stealth attacks is extremely useful for the first half of the game. In any case you'll be able to get all the skills by the end anyway.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Vidaeus posted:

Specifically:
  • Any missables

1. There are some power cells you can collect for an armor that becomes available before the very end of the game. You can't miss anything permanently, but there is one cell on top of a very tall building that's kind of a pain to go back to. So when you're at a super high tower in the main quest, just remember to visit the very tippy top.
2. The slow time while aiming skill is hugely important, as are the passives that let you harvest more components and herbs. It's good to get those early.
3. Sell anything you have more than a stack of from your inventory besides the stuff you use to craft ammo (wire, blaze, chillwater, sparker). You'll never need more than one stack of robot parts to buy anything.
4. In case this wasn't obvious, higher weapon tiers also unlock additional ammo types for that weapon, besides adding more damage.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Once you've got the skill(s) for it, your aim is counterintuitively better in mid-air because you get slowdown. I'm not so proud that I didn't bunny hop during a tough fight here and there to get some much needed slow-mo to make a good shot.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

1. There are some power cells you can collect for an armor that becomes available before the very end of the game. You can't miss anything permanently, but there is one cell on top of a very tall building that's kind of a pain to go back to. So when you're at a super high tower in the main quest, just remember to visit the very tippy top.
2. The slow time while aiming skill is hugely important, as are the passives that let you harvest more components and herbs. It's good to get those early.
3. Sell anything you have more than a stack of from your inventory besides the stuff you use to craft ammo (wire, blaze, chillwater, sparker). You'll never need more than one stack of robot parts to buy anything.
4. In case this wasn't obvious, higher weapon tiers also unlock additional ammo types for that weapon, besides adding more damage.

Speaking of that tower--correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that this game has any metroidvania-style navigation skills; meaning that if you aren't sure how to climb a tower, this isn't the kind of game where you'll have to come back later with a new item, there's just a solution in front of you that you're missing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ainsley McTree posted:

Speaking of that tower--correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that this game has any metroidvania-style navigation skills; meaning that if you aren't sure how to climb a tower, this isn't the kind of game where you'll have to come back later with a new item, there's just a solution in front of you that you're missing.

That's correct.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ainsley McTree posted:

Although there is one place (at least one) that is inaccessible until a certain point of the story and it wasn't obvious to me that was the case. It felt like I was just missing something nearby.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Horizon Zero Dawn is slated to come to PC this summer, which is suppose is something worth knowing if you're currently deciding whether or not to buy the console version. Think that would be worth a little note at the top of the page?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vidaeus posted:

Specifically:
  • Any missables
Holding L1 while selecting items slows down time. I missed that for the whole game and it made selecting the right item incredibly difficult. Items are good though.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

XCOM: Chimera Squad

- The armor mod "Mach Weave" is absurdly powerful. It turns a lot of what would be full hits into 1-3 damage grazes, and unlike XCOM 1-2, you *will* be taking a lot of shots due to the interleaved turns.
- You get a lot of tools to help you manage district unrest and lower city anarchy (the doom counter), so the game isn't the race against the counter that it first appears to be.
- Purple missions that speed up the reveal of hidden story missions are a trap. You don't want story missions to be revealed earlier, as then they become mandatory earlier, which means less time researching tech and training your team before you have to do them. The rewards are also garbage compared to other missions.
- On that same note, you should ignore story missions for as long as possible - if you ignore a story mission for two days after it becomes available, on the third day it becomes a critical mission and will be the only option on the map that day. Doing story missions before they become critical ensures you'll get an unrest penalty for ignoring the other missions or situations that day.
- If a district is going to have the next story mission, letting it hit max unrest won't trigger an emergency mission like it would for other districts. Emergency missions tend to be tougher and have poor rewards, so keep that in mind when managing your unrest.
- You want to get field teams in every district ASAP, both for the passive income they give you, and because that unlocks the Major Crimes Task Force, which lets you lower city anarchy.
- There are three types of field team, finance/technology/security. When you raise the first team of a type to level 2, you unlock a new type of spec op.
- When you raise the first team of a type to level 3, you unlock a research project to allow a second team member to train, do spec ops, or help research. Not critical early on, but very useful for once you have 7-8 team members.
- Using support items, including grenades, does not cost an action point.
- Some enemies have immunities, but flashbangs and incendiary grenades both prevent enemies from using their special abilities.
- On higher difficulty levels, enemy reinforcements are very serious. On mission types like VIP rescue or evidence collection, you need to move quickly or you'll be overwhelmed.
- Breaching charges and Auto Keycards can only be used from the #1 position of a breach point. Claymore has a skill that gives him a free special Breaching Charge each mission, and Terminal and Patchwork can hack doors without needing a keycard.
- Breach bombs like Flash Bombs and Smoke Bombs can only be used by the person you set as the #2 position in that breach point. Other breaching gear like MediPatches and HoloScanners can be used from any position but #1. If a breaching point only has one slot, you can't use any of it from there.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 5, 2020

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Random Hajile posted:

XCOM: Chimera Squad

This is appreciated.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Random stuff for Saints Row 4:

It's fun, but not too deep. You'll probably bang through once and delete it. (However, the DLC bundle contains a bazillion extras, which should keep you busy for a while).

The writing can mostly be ignored, it boils down to 'do wacky stuff to disrupt the VR that you're in for some reason'.

Vehicles can be ignored unless a mission calls for them. Sprinting is faster and more fun.

Unless you grind like a WoW player, you won't come even close to upgrading all the weapons. Don't sweat it. Otoh, you should be able to completely upgrade all the skills and powers by the end.

The powers are funky, but not really needed. The fireball power will get you through the whole game.

When a mission tells you to defend an objective, the enemies are rather lackadaisical about actually attacking it. If you're taking a beating, head around a corner to recover, the objective will be fine.

The key to Insurance Fraud missions is to stay in ragdoll mode for as long as you can at a stretch.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Random Hajile posted:

- On that same note, you can and probably should ignore story missions when they're first revealed - after you ignore each one twice, it becomes mandatory and becomes the only mission revealed that day. Doing them before you're forced just ensures you'll get a penalty for ignoring other missions or situations that day, and gives you less prep-time.

Sorry, haven't played the game much beyond tutorial. Does this mean you should only do them once they are mandatory?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Gynovore posted:

Random stuff for Saints Row 4:

Unless you grind like a WoW player, you won't come even close to upgrading all the weapons. Don't sweat it. Otoh, you should be able to completely upgrade all the skills and powers by the end.

If you just want to focus on a few guns, the fully upgraded Dubstep Gun's probably the best for crowd control, the explosive auto shotgun practically instakills minibosses and vehicles, and dual assault rifles are a good fallback since you'll always have ammo for them.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

srulz posted:

Sorry, haven't played the game much beyond tutorial. Does this mean you should only do them once they are mandatory?
Yes. I'll rephrase that bit to make it more clear.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Anything on Beyond Divinity?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Gynovore posted:

The key to Insurance Fraud missions is to stay in ragdoll mode for as long as you can at a stretch.
Just keep pressing the forward direction and bounce off a hood occasionally to get more air. Eventually you will start cartwheeling at breakneck speeds and be basically self-propelling. You can literally run a circuit around the entire city. That way you can make millions and millions in a single run of the mission. Just never stop, because running back to the starting point on time is basically impossible by then.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Anything to know going into Patapon 2 after getting a good chunk into the first one?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Pneub posted:

If you just want to focus on a few guns, the fully upgraded Dubstep Gun's probably the best for crowd control, the explosive auto shotgun practically instakills minibosses and vehicles, and dual assault rifles are a good fallback since you'll always have ammo for them.

I feel like most guns are fine, I found that fully upgraded pistols (dual wielded with explosive ammo) more or less carried me through the whole game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Pierzak posted:

Anything on Beyond Divinity?
It is entirely skippable even if you're binging the whole series. That being said, from what little I remember:

- Save often and in multiple slots. The game loved crashing even back then and I can't imagine it getting better on modern systems.

- Magic builds will have a much harder time at the beginning as the good spells don't really become available until act 2 and even those don't scale too well.

- From what I'm reading now, there is a bugged quest: near the end of the game, when a merchant asks you to get him an amulet. If you do it, there's a chance of it corrupting your save.

- Look up what the various charms that can be slotted into items do. For whatever reason, the game doesn't display their effect.

- Skill points are fairly limited and you don't want to waste them; on the plus side, you can unlearn skills for a price.

- You'll eventually get access to temporarily summonable party members; those do not level up with experience but need to be upgraded via the corresponding skill. They do get outleveled pretty fast but have one use handy for any kind of character: springing traps.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 5, 2020

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

It is entirely skippable even if you're binging the whole series.
Fair, but I'm stuck in quarantine with a lovely laptop and need *something* to play. Thanks for the tips though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I liked the writing in Saints Row 4 :shrug:. It's very much a comedy game so don't go in expecting a gripping story, it's just very funny I thought.

Also the best mindset to play it in is to think of it as a Prototype/Infamous clone, not a GTA clone. There are cars but they're useless after the early stages of the game, you're going to spend most of your time jumping, sprinting, and flying around the city.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Saints Row 4 from what I recall very much hits the "You don't need to know anything, just play, nothing is missable." Maybe with a bit of This is a superhero game not a GTA game.

And yeah, the writing is decent within it's context and themes. But that gets into long off topic talk of the merits of various Saint's Row games. Opinion spoilered. (IMO 2>4>>3 with 1 only having seen LPd and being generic and skippable?) which is probably best dragged to the thread in Games if people want to have it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Might be worth a mention that it relies a lot on players knowing the characters and their stories from the first three games.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Real quick, is there a way for us plebs to gain edit access to the wiki, or do we just post tips here and wait for for someone who already has it?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

The latter.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Captain Walker posted:

Real quick, is there a way for us plebs to gain edit access to the wiki, or do we just post tips here and wait for for someone who already has it?
You can send ahobday a mail from an email address that has your SA account name in it. The specifics can be found on the Wiki somewhere.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

A few things for Gears: Tactics

- All abilities, including grenades, are on cooldowns, so don't be afraid to use them when you need to.

- Early on you will be able to use the same units for every mission, but later on they will be limited to one use per set of missions, so make sure you keep a decent roster going.

- Overwatch is very powerful, but works differently than games like Xcom. You set up an overwatch cone, then you will fire on anyone who moves inside that cone for as long as your ammo and the points you committed to overwatch hold out. Note that you can proc overwatch on a single enemy unit multiple times, so you are able to shoot strong enemies several times with one overwatch. The cone limits your coverage area, of course, but enemies tend to charge around stupidly and predictably anyways. Additionally, there does not seem to be any aim penalty for overwatch shots.

- Healing grenades are best used to revive fallen soldiers.

- Soldiers can be downed twice, and will be picked up with one of their health bar chunks missing.

- There is a short grace distance at the end of your movement range that allows you to move a few extra yards as long as you end up in cover and it can add up when you are moving long distances.

- Missions with timers tend to be obvious, and if you aren't in one then it's often worth just sitting still for a few turns to recharge your cool downs before moving on. There's nothing worse than coming across an emergence hole just to find everyone has grenades on a five turn cooldown.

- E-holes will close on their own after three turns, as far as I have seen.

- Always destroy secondary targets before taking on large foes; even basic enemies can mess you up, especially those with melee attacks of opportunity.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 5, 2020

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
Just picked up Undermine on Steam today. Anything I should know as I start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
What's good to know about the FF7 Remake?

And Bright Wing, that is a drat fine avatar you have. drat fine.