Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I kind of did want to stress out about money a bit more so I felt more a reason to rob and steal. So, I made a rule for myself of giving the camp 60% of my money on my last play through. You still end with a lot money around Chapter 3, but can easily clean yourself out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Timeless Appeal posted:

I kind of did want to stress out about money a bit more so I felt more a reason to rob and steal. So, I made a rule for myself of giving the camp 60% of my money on my last play through. You still end with a lot money around Chapter 3, but can easily clean yourself out.

In my playthrough I contributed so much money to the camp that I basically was the gang's sugar daddy. People would chip in with 0.25$, a couple ram pelts or a gold tooth and I'd be depositing 50$ and platinum watches in the camp stash on the regular, ultimately I splashed several hundreds if not thousands on the camp between upgrades, supplies and cash money

This didn't stop some horrible lady to bemoan about me for not contributing enough of course

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
I ended up going full sperg and collecting every treasure and gold bar north of the Montana before Guarma, and pissed away maybe half afterward buying all the clothes, both human and horse. Oh, and all the assorted consumables.

All the (unlocked) weapons and ammo were already owned, with all mods, but not all gun cosmetics yet. (Just the ones I wanted on my carry weapons.) Even managed to get most of the free weapons, some before they unlocked.

And now I'm grinding Red Beta Online instead of going up to Annesburg with Dutch to start some poo poo...

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Another thing to keep in mind is that there's a button combo that lets you shoot your gun in the air. Sometimes people react to this in a way you would expect depending on the situation.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Bandanas make it so random citizens can't make a positive ID of you to the law (the law can still ID and put a bounty on you because they're familiar enough with the Van Der Linde gang to figure out its you.) but when you equip them it takes up your neckwear slot removing the tie or neckercheif which tied your entire outfit together. This is one of the greatest trade-offs in game design.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Another thing to keep in mind is that there's a button combo that lets you shoot your gun in the air. Sometimes people react to this in a way you would expect depending on the situation.

aim gun, press up on the d-pad, fire

Nearby players will see a "So-and-so has fired a warning shot" message.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Doing that would be a sure way to get me to take a shot at you.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

First day of play: ten hours straight.

Man, this game is immersive. I've been killed by a nightmare of a bear, wolves, and various scallywags. Don't think I've quite grasped the proper use of Deadeye yet.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Deadeye is lot like bullet time from Max Payne 3. RDR2 also has the slo-mo moments from MP3 when you make a cool shot.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

There's story-locked improvements to deadeye and until you get the first one its not very useful. Once you get the first one its all you'll ever use in combat.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

MrMojok posted:

First day of play: ten hours straight.

Man, this game is immersive. I've been killed by a nightmare of a bear, wolves, and various scallywags. Don't think I've quite grasped the proper use of Deadeye yet.

You turn it on and put the aiming thing on the heads of the things you want to die and shoot. When you level it up you can manually mark it instead of just sweeping it over stuff.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

TorakFade posted:

In my playthrough I contributed so much money to the camp that I basically was the gang's sugar daddy. People would chip in with 0.25$, a couple ram pelts or a gold tooth and I'd be depositing 50$ and platinum watches in the camp stash on the regular, ultimately I splashed several hundreds if not thousands on the camp between upgrades, supplies and cash money

This didn't stop some horrible lady to bemoan about me for not contributing enough of course
I really do like that in-universe, Dutch's Gang is basically a pyramid scheme.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Meow meows of the desert! So rare!

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Timeless Appeal posted:

I really do like that in-universe, Dutch's Gang is basically a pyramid scheme.

pretty much all criminal enterprise works the same way in real life too

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Arthur Morgan is the most majestic player character I've ever had the privilege of steering.

:allears:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Hey I'm planning to play this online tonight with a friend, I've played tons of online but always solo. Is there anything really fun I should try, we're just planning to chase down bounties.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

The cigarette card dude reminds me so much of George Costanza and I want him to be in more cutscenes and missions so bad

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TorakFade posted:

Literally the first camp interaction I had after Arthur had almost been tortured to death was her complaining about me not giving enough money

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Alhazred posted:

Literally the first camp interaction I had after Arthur had almost been tortured to death was her complaining about me not giving enough money

At least she didn't make you take a bath, I guess

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

At least she didn't make you take a bath, I guess

Baths is a waste of money, you can just let Arthur stand in a river instead.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Oh no my dollar

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
:ninja:

https://i.imgur.com/8lpgSyd.mp4

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Zigmidge posted:

Oh no my dollar

Take your hat off and show some respect son, that's an entire dollar bill right there.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Zigmidge posted:

Oh no my dollar

Baths are 25 cents. 75 if you get the lady to do it for you. Don't know what fancy lavender oil you're using there pardner.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Flannelette posted:

You turn it on and put the aiming thing on the heads of the things you want to die and shoot. When you level it up you can manually mark it instead of just sweeping it over stuff.

Ah, this was my issue. I was thinking I was supposed to be able to mark whoever I wanted but instead it's doing it for me and just kind of spraying/wasting rounds. I can't wait to level that up.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

MrMojok posted:

Ah, this was my issue. I was thinking I was supposed to be able to mark whoever I wanted but instead it's doing it for me and just kind of spraying/wasting rounds. I can't wait to level that up.

Yeah it kind of sucks at first. Eventually you can manually tag stuff and it's much cooler.

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah it kind of sucks at first. Eventually you can manually tag stuff and it's much cooler.

dick shots for everyone!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Dress up is my favorite part of any game and glad there's a robust system here. So many men and animals have died to feed Arthur's relentless appetite for fashion.

i just spent nearly $3000 in the Strawberry General Store and bought all the pants I didn't already own in multiplayer

winter.mute fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 6, 2020

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I spend every dollar I make Online on clothing

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Nothing has tickled me more than the way Arthur goes

"I'll come back for ya...I promise! :laugh:"

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This game might actually have too many systems. After Guarma I noticed gun degradation happens so slowly and quietly I forgot it exists and every single gun I like to use has been a rusty piece of crap for hours.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Sindai posted:

This game might actually have too many systems. After Guarma I noticed gun degradation happens so slowly and quietly I forgot it exists and every single gun I like to use has been a rusty piece of crap for hours.

That and each button has like 3 different actions mapped to it contextually

Love it when I'm trying to loot a place quickly before the law comes and Arthur thinks I asked him to pick up the body and carry it around for a bit instead.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I was playing GTA online to unlock the free navy revolver when i first started playing and I am not 100% sure but i think the GTA 'get in car button' isnt the same as the 'get on horse' button anyway i pushed the wrong button, F instead of E or vice versa, and punched my horse and it ran away.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
I think the button is the same on controller, but when i jumped in to GTA to get the revolver, I tried to whistle for my car. After running over to my car and getting in I then mashed the button to make it gallop. That also did not work.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It is really hard to figure out horses in Skyrim the rare times I use them after playing 500 hours of Red Dead.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Dress up is my favorite part of any game and glad there's a robust system here. So many men and animals have died to feed Arthur's relentless appetite for fashion.

I killed a pig farmer just to get some perfect pig pelts.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

"Damnit Dutch we're killing all these innocent people and for what? Some land out west? A trip to Australia or tahiti? The only good reason to kill a man is to get the money for a scarlet Rambler coat or because he's got a rare hat."

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Don't forget participating in a klan meeting

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

"Damnit Dutch we're killing all these innocent people and for what? Some land out west? A trip to Australia or tahiti? The only good reason to kill a man is to get the money for a scarlet Rambler coat or because he's got a rare hat."

I’ve killed a disappointingly large number of ranchers on the chance they were wearing a cutter hat

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Or if you antagonized them and they couldn't take a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Don't forget participating in a klan meeting
I was pleased that you're rewarded for murdering the leader in those encounters with funny documents to read.

The meeting minutes were especially good