Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i just got an electric one that'll hopefully annoy my neighbors less than usual

i thought you lived in an apartment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Cold on a Cob posted:

he does. that's what's so hosed up about this.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

President Beep posted:

he does. that's what's so hosed up about this.

solution: go bald. then you don't need a hair dryer

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wow, RTX Voice is really good for noise reduction.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

mystes posted:

Is this still leafblower chat?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

WHAT?!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I CAN’T HEAR YOU. I’M USING THE LEAF BLOWER.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i need the leaf blower for all my houseplants. the jungle room really sheds leaves this time of year.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

mystes posted:

my home office is real quiet but there’s a few people in my discord who could *really* use this

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

President Beep posted:

you'll have to type harder, I'm wearing a towel

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

i love my big dumb gas leaf blower

also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg9JnTr1SfY

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
welp, just got told they're letting the lease expire on our physical space and mailing us equipment and personal items

our business unit is intact so we're all still employed but I guess wfh is forever now

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

management was worried about how this was going to effect us but we just had one of the strongest quarters in the company's history. turns out all that absolutely critical travel our customers have been demanding wasn't so critical after all :thunk:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

haveblue posted:

welp, just got told they're letting the lease expire on our physical space and mailing us equipment and personal items

our business unit is intact so we're all still employed but I guess wfh is forever now

eternal march

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Cold on a Cob posted:

sweeping is for suckers

180mph blower go BRRRRRRRRR

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

management was worried about how this was going to effect us but we just had one of the strongest quarters in the company's history. turns out all that absolutely critical travel our customers have been demanding wasn't so critical after all :thunk:

hello wwe employee

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

haveblue posted:

yeah my company had two buildings before all this and now we're consolidating into the bigger of the two

I'm extremely happy to have perma wfh

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
these LEAF BLOWERS are making me DEAF

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
the business across the street from my apartment has the leafblowers full blast every saturday morning at 7am

it does not amuse me

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/nursekelsey/status/1256355339114602497?s=21

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
active shooter drills are a p good reason to gently caress cubicle farms forever imo

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
so i've been wfh for like 3 or 4 sprints now. i'm kind of getting into this. work for a couple hours in the morning right when i wake up. go play 9 hours for lunch. come back for some bullshit meetings in the afternoon and then sign off. nice.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

active shooter drills are a p good reason to gently caress cubicle farms forever imo

nobody is going to abandon open offices or cubicles, they're too inexpensive to make that attractive.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Midjack posted:

nobody is going to abandon open offices or cubicles, they're too inexpensive to make that attractive.

you know whats even cheaper? reducing your square footage which brings down your rent and utility costs. Just have an office with some employees who need to be on site full time and some conference rooms for when you have clients coming for a pitch or important meeting

mystes
May 31, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

you know whats even cheaper? reducing your square footage which brings down your rent and utility costs. Just have an office with some employees who need to be on site full time and some conference rooms for when you have clients coming for a pitch or important meeting
Yeah but what's the point of running a company if you don't get to be lovely to your employees in person?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

mystes posted:

Yeah but what's the point of running a company if you don't get to be lovely to your employees in person?

That's easy, just outsource your remote jobs to countries where you can pay employees around a dollar a day.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i just wanna know if my home office can qualify for tax breaks for the square footage and buying a desk and chair and paying for my internet connection and poo poo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

that won't work, you can't micromanage the serfs in person.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i just wanna know if my home office can qualify for tax breaks for the square footage and buying a desk and chair and paying for my internet connection and poo poo

you can deduct it but be careful, home office deduction fuckery is historically one of the things to get the irs microscope on you. talk to a real accountant.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

if it's not a dedicated separate room it's really hard to claim that deduction and even then you might be only able to claim a portion and it's a huge flag for an audit

this is who gets audited by the irs now btw, not billionaires who pay zero taxes

mystes
May 31, 2006

qirex posted:

if it's not a dedicated separate room it's really hard to claim that deduction and even then you might be only able to claim a portion and it's a huge flag for an audit

this is who gets audited by the irs now btw, not billionaires who pay zero taxes
Actually it's mainly poor people taking the EITC, OP. But I'm sure computer touchers with home offices is a close second.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Midjack posted:

talk to a real accountant.

oh yeah for sure

i recognize how little i know about that stuff

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Here (Qc, Canada) the workspace for a home office can only be deducted if you’re self employed or a contract worker, for example.

definitely seconding the advice of checking with an accountant. they’re also the person you get help from in case of an audit.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Midjack posted:

that won't work, you can't micromanage the serfs in person.

you can deduct it but be careful, home office deduction fuckery is historically one of the things to get the irs microscope on you. talk to a real accountant.

gently caress! i claimed my forums upgrade as a business expense this year!

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
my coworker who lives in danville (lol) got his house declared as a satellite office of the company, so that when he takes an early morning call and then drives into the office in redwood city, he can write that off as travel between company offices. i believe this only worked because he has shares so technically he's an owner of the company. but he did it thru a real accountant so it's totally a thing you can do if you're careful to follow the letter of the law

mystes
May 31, 2006

DELETE CASCADE posted:

my coworker who lives in danville (lol) got his house declared as a satellite office of the company, so that when he takes an early morning call and then drives into the office in redwood city, he can write that off as travel between company offices. i believe this only worked because he has shares so technically he's an owner of the company. but he did it thru a real accountant so it's totally a thing you can do if you're careful to follow the letter of the law
The richer you are the more loopholes you're allowed to use.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Realized today that I am going to have to search for an apartment during this pandemic since my lease expires and I have no interest in renewing. That's probably going to be an exciting experience.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Realized today that I am going to have to search for an apartment during this pandemic since my lease expires and I have no interest in renewing. That's probably going to be an exciting experience.

finding movers is fun too

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Fully furnished apartments with month to month leases are very cheap in Honolulu right now lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

will they not let you go month to month?