Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

lmao that was art

edit: fuckin' amazing page snipe :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Coil overs arrived and they fit without dancing with death via spring compressor. Hopefully ca. Get the rest of the front buttoned up this weekend and get some pictures of all the dumb poo poo I have done.

Going to be moving on to body work while I wait for rear suspension parts and new pumpkin to arrive.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Previa_fun posted:

Mother-in-law's 95 Nissan Hardbody

That is way better than most MIL cars

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Steely Dad posted:

That is way better than most MIL cars

My former MIL used to have a Conquest. Sadly gone before I came along.
My current MIL has a thing for British roadsters.
I think her current is a Triumph Sunbeam.

Now if I can just convince my FIL to sell me his P1800....
I might even take the Studebaker Hawk.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

nadmonk posted:

My former MIL used to have a Conquest. Sadly gone before I came along.
My current MIL has a thing for British roadsters.
I think her current is a Triumph Sunbeam.

Now if I can just convince my FIL to sell me his P1800....
I might even take the Studebaker Hawk.

What is a Triumph Sunbeam?
I know Triumph and I know Sunbeam but I didn't know Triumph had a model called the Sunbeam.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

What is a Triumph Sunbeam?
I know Triumph and I know Sunbeam but I didn't know Triumph had a model called the Sunbeam.

A mental fart on my part. No Triumph Sunbeam that I'm aware of, not sure why I thought that was the model.
It might be a Triumph Herald that she has?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

nadmonk posted:

A mental fart on my part. No Triumph Sunbeam that I'm aware of, not sure why I thought that was the model.
It might be a Triumph Herald that she has?

You should just get a Sunbeam Alpine.
OH! Or an Alpine A110!

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You should just get a Sunbeam Alpine.
OH! Or an Alpine A110!

You mean a Sunbeam Tiger.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Sunbeam Toaster Oven imo

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

wallaka posted:

You mean a Sunbeam Tiger.

No I mean Triumph Tiger.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Talbot Sunbeam in rally spec imo (maybe with a Cosworth in it like this)

https://youtu.be/0UCpEQkXBEA

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Did some interior work on the BRZ today. For the past year or so I've been using something like this for an armrest. For the most part its fine, except if you want to actually use the cupholder to hold a coffee or whatever and then its just a pain. For a while Scion offered a sliding armrest that's much nicer (and much more expensive) and I decided that its worth the extra cost and to buy one.

Well, I tried to at least. It seems it was recently discontinued and everyone that's listed new on eBay and Amazon are showing inventory they don't have. I know this because over the course of a month I ordered from every single seller and would get the order cancelled a couple days later. My options were then order the current new model which differs in color, or go used. I saw a listing for a center console with the armrest installed for significantly cheaper than just what the new armrest would go for so I ordered it.

The one drawback is that I've never seen a used console/armrest combo that had the switches for heated seats. So that meant I'd either need to transfer the armrest to my console, or make holes for the switches on the used one.

My original is on top, new one is at bottom. I decided to try cutting holes, since it may be a couple weeks before the pop rivet gun and rivets I'd need to install it arrive, and worse case scenario if I mess it up I still have my original to fall back on.

I started by cutting a piece of paper to fit the space and trace the outline of the switch holes.

Paper was a bad choice because it was too flimsy even with a block of wood behind it as support.

Went for the next sturdier thing I had lying around.

Working much better so far.

Traced the pattern onto the new console.

I didn't have anything good to cut with, so I drilled a bunch of holes and then used a utility knife to cut the spaces in between.

After 20-30 minutes of filing and sanding it was looking pretty good.

Test fit worked out.

Both finished. The second one took less than half the time of the first. I'd say they're about 95% to being lined up exactly. The fit is tight enough that I could take a little off a side or two to help line them up even closer if it really bothers me but I don't think it will come to that. One thing the original has that this lacks is a lip on the underside that the clips on the top and bottom of the switches would latch onto, however these fit tight enough they don't move around at all unless you try to pull them out, so I don't think I'll bother with it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Very nice work!

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Looks good. :3:

The new style center console type is nice since I'm also someone who perpetually uses their armrest and a drink can go in the back. With the old style, was the armrest kind that hinged on the side not worth the effort?

All in all, I feel like I'll be getting more bottled drinks for driving since I use the door cup holder whenever I can.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Small little high-detail jobs like that are some of the most satisfying ones imho. Looks factory to me!

Took the top FULLY off of the 70 today. Tomorrow I'm going to go further and pull all the scaffolding off and fold down the windshield. Take some pictures for the all-important Instagram likes and then put it all back together because riding around with the windshield down in anything is dumb as hell to do for any length of time.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Minto Took posted:

The new style center console type is nice since I'm also someone who perpetually uses their armrest and a drink can go in the back. With the old style, was the armrest kind that hinged on the side not worth the effort?

All in all, I feel like I'll be getting more bottled drinks for driving since I use the door cup holder whenever I can.

The hinged kind is the one I installed, and it makes the arm rest the absolute perfect height for me when I'm driving.
The only thing that sucks is if I am drinking coffee, as that's the one thing that I can't really put in the door cup holder.
As much as I love my car, they really poo poo the bed with that center console.

DrChu posted:

Did some interior work on the BRZ today.
I just noticed you have PA plates, and your profile says Philly. Did you join the Philly 86 group on facebook? If not you totally should. We haven't done anything recently because of the apocalypse, but the meets are car nerd fun.

Taken after a road trip from KoP to Reading.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 7, 2020

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Minto Took posted:

When I got the car there was nothing, just the double cupholder thing you could move to the front or back. I found a cheap armrest that goes into those cupholders but the whole thing was flimsy and not ideal. I've seen the hinged kind and they look nice, but you completely lose the ability to use it and the cupholders at the same time, and its awkward to have open when someone is in the passenger space since it'd basically be on their arm. I've also replaced the 12V socket in there with a USB line to the stereo and its more convenient being able to just plug in my phone than opening and closing the lid and maybe forgetting that its in there.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I just noticed you have PA plates, and your profile says Philly. Did you join the Philly 86 group on facebook? If not you totally should. We haven't done anything recently because of the apocalypse, but the meets are car nerd fun.
Yeah, I joined last year but haven't been able to make it to any of the meets yet. Hoping to be able to get to one once things start up again.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

DrChu posted:

When I got the car there was nothing, just the double cupholder thing you could move to the front or back. I found a cheap armrest that goes into those cupholders but the whole thing was flimsy and not ideal. I've seen the hinged kind and they look nice, but you completely lose the ability to use it and the cupholders at the same time, and its awkward to have open when someone is in the passenger space since it'd basically be on their arm. I've also replaced the 12V socket in there with a USB line to the stereo and its more convenient being able to just plug in my phone than opening and closing the lid and maybe forgetting that its in there.

Yeah, I joined last year but haven't been able to make it to any of the meets yet. Hoping to be able to get to one once things start up again.

Cool. I hope to see you there. I'm in Lansdale, by the way.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

New dual alternator pulley and belts on the FB. It has manual steering from the factory and an AC removal, so the single belt was screaming every once in a while.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Dropped the top as low as it could go today.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I never really thought about it much before, but what was the purpose of the fold-down windshields on those and Jeeps and the like?
So one could shoot out of the front while on Safari? Transport?

That thing looks mint, BTW.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

I never really thought about it much before, but what was the purpose of the fold-down windshields on those and Jeeps and the like?

Visibility, you want everyone to see you look as cool as these guys. My dad and his friends in the 80s

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Had the day off, so I build a shelf:

Cleaned out my van, and then installed it:

Still have a lot more re-organizing to do. Need to get a smaller tool box for up front and reinstall my other tank rack for the 50lb tanks, but it's a start for now.

Still need to add some more strategies across the top of the shelf too, but I dont feel like waiting in line a Home Depot either.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Darchangel posted:

Landrovers do it too. With the military ones they get folded down for transport. I’ve seen them crated (in low profile crates) and stacked.
I was told it was also a military requirement so that they can be used on patrols and you can shoot forward from the front seat without a screen getting in the way.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Darchangel posted:

As far as I can tell it's what Tomarse says, originally to make them smaller to ship as original Jeeps didn't have roll cages so the height would be a lot lower with it down. Since the Land Cruiser is a riff on Jeep (they aren't J40 or J70s for no reason :ssh:) that's probably why they originally had it as well. Now people will say it's because when you are slow off-roading you can see all around you, or if its really hot you can keep the heat out of the cab, or keep dust off the glass or shoot better or whatever. Practically it serves zero purpose, I think now it's one of those things that was done originally so it kept being done. Jeeps probably still have it because it isn't a Jeep if the doors can't come off or you can't fold down the windshield.

and thanks, it is quite nice!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Con confirm shipping. A friend of a friend is a mil vehicle weirdo, and has an actual crated jeep as it would have been delivered to Korea or something and cost him way too much money, but that doesn't matter to these nuts. In any case, it is complete down to the jerry can and medical kit, dry (no fuel no oil), with the windshield folded down and parked in a crate that it will only fit in with the windshield down (this is original crate too).

Whatever else the fold down windshield may have been used for, it appears to be primarily to stack more units on boats.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
So this guy has a mint condition new-in-box collectable hotwheels but it's fullsize?

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
Just my downpipe and blowoff valve left. Waiting on flanges, and the downpipe is waiting on class rules saying size and exit location. Wastegate dumps stolen from the S2000 should work as stubs once the pipe is ran.

Then I motorized my bead roll. Bent, hemmed, and offset some firewall panels. Now I just need to do some actual bead work on the panels so that I can stiffen them up. Then I must decide if I will silicon bronze tig them onto the chassis or use rivets to make them removable. PS clecos and cleco spring clamps are the best. If you don't have some, get some.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

I finally receive the proper front parking brake cable for the '88 4Runner.

I had clipped off the old one just passed the firewall, I figured I needed to actually remove the parking brake handle to get the other end of it off.

I am not sure what that switch does, it might be the weird aftermarket light the PPO put on the rear bumper.

A quality wiring job:

Thankfully, I have a box of ends and a set of crimpers:

Fixed! Whatever it is...

It's a little hard to see the new cable running behind the other stuff:

Going to put the pivot back the front parking brake cable connects to back on, I dropped the rusty e-clip on the ground. Can you find it? I could not:

(Terrible Robot found it in the picture in less than an minute, so your benchmark is set)

Thankfully, I have a box of metric e-clips.

All back together:

The parking brake works fine.
It turns out I did NOT have to take out the handle, I just had to undo the switch at the base of the handle. That provided that last little bit of travel that gave enough space to remove the old cable and install the new one.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute

Washed the Gyro. Might polish the wheels and rack tomorrow.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

UnkleBoB posted:

That is a thing of beauty. What's the average cost for one?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

UnkleBoB posted:

That looks suuuuper sketchy/tippy.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

nadmonk posted:

Fixed! Whatever it is...

Now flip the switch! I wanna know if it's caltrops or an ejector seat.

er... maybe have a friend do it in case its a self destruct mechanism.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

wallaka posted:

That looks suuuuper sketchy/tippy.

It's a Gyro, the rear wheels stay upright and the front pivots! It's a weird quirky thing. Here's an earlier one in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmnLSynWpq8

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Added a trim piece:

And a trunk pull:

(That's oil I'm returning.)

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

That looks nice.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute

DoubleT2172 posted:

That is a thing of beauty. What's the average cost for one?

This first generation Gyro was only brought to the US for 1984, so they're pretty hard to come by. Got it for ~$800ish. Seem to go for around that as the bottom end of the range, and up above 1500 for minty ones, not that this one has many issues. Has just under 2000 miles on it and is a joy to putt around on. Once you get used to how it leans, it's a hoot, at 30mph top speed on flat terrain.

The parking lock lever locks the bike upright for parking, since it doesn't have a kickstand.

Better look at the rear, where the engine sits between the wheels. Need to fix that turn signal one of these days...

UnkleBoB fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 11, 2020

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Ordered some new wheels for my Type R today. Very keen on the Anthracite contrasting with my cars black paint

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's a Gyro, the rear wheels stay upright and the front pivots! It's a weird quirky thing. Here's an earlier one in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmnLSynWpq8

It looks like an Urban Express with an extra wheel. The seat is a dead ringer. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Minto Took posted:

Added a trim piece:

Again with the magical green 86! Also loving the green plate. :allears: