Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
lol month to month rent in the Bay Area is absurd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
my apartment automatically went month to month at the end of my first year lease and they didn't increase the rent and aren't planning to. i have never heard of this happening in the bay area. really hope the old couple owners don't get covid and die, because their kid has no interest in landlording (good for him) and the building would end up being sold to some rent gouging vultures i'm sure

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

DELETE CASCADE posted:

my apartment automatically went month to month at the end of my first year lease and they didn't increase the rent and aren't planning to. i have never heard of this happening in the bay area. really hope the old couple owners don't get covid and die, because their kid has no interest in landlording (good for him) and the building would end up being sold to some rent gouging vultures i'm sure

yeah one of my old coworkers had a pretty nice landlord that didn't jack up the rent constantly; I guess its the rare inverse case of the Small Landlord Tyrant

I think my first 1 br apartment in Santa Clara was like $1800/mo (I almost moved to one in Sunnyvale before I found that one, for like $2100/mo I think, but I was able to back out of that) and then when the lease came up it was like $2300/mo

and then I had a 2 br here for a while and that went from like $1700/mo to maybe $2000ish/mo and I was debating just letting it go month to month before moving out because I had a gap between living there and moving to my new place but the month to mont was going to be like $3000+/mo and lol so I lived with my wife's parents

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
like nobody is getting raises to keep up with this poo poo so its all just seeing how hard they can squeeze and using the constant inflow of new people to gently caress over while pushing all the old ones out

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
gently caress landlords housing is a human right and I hope they all get their drat heads chopped off

/daydrinking

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Endless Mike posted:

will they not let you go month to month?

Oh poo poo this is a good call, I should find out.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Realized today that I am going to have to search for an apartment during this pandemic since my lease expires and I have no interest in renewing. That's probably going to be an exciting experience.

probably lots of vacancies though

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

President Beep posted:

a zillion former aribnb-only units hitting the market, yeah

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

President Beep posted:

people were already migrating away in droves, and now there are fewer job-takers moving in to fill the gap

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Oh poo poo this is a good call

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

yeah one of my old coworkers had a pretty nice landlord that didn't jack up the rent constantly; I guess its the rare inverse case of the Small Landlord Tyrant

they're rare but small-time landlords that know what the gently caress they're doing understand the value of avoiding tenant churning

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm getting unbuzzed now so I'll probably have to drink again for dinner

the good thing is that anymore I can get well buzzed on 16 oz of 6.0% abv the bad part is that it doesn't last long enough and I don't want to walk that line of just being day-drunk

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

President Beep posted:

This is something I feel incredibly guilty about. There are a ton of folks that are losing their jobs and becoming unable to pay rent, mortgage, whatever. Meanwhile my overpaid computer toucher rear end is still employed.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
its certainly laying bare our economic stratification

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Cold on a Cob posted:

they're rare but small-time landlords that know what the gently caress they're doing understand the value of avoiding tenant churning
They're rare in part because people keep renting from them for so long.

Like suppose people move from lovely property manager complexes every 2 years and from good rentals every 10 years: even if the good rentals were 25% of the units they'd only look like 1/12 the market when you went out looking for places.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah my landlords haven't raised my rent once the whole time i've been here (knock on wood) and it seems to be sort of an unspoken deal that if they don't screw me over, they get a tenant who's a quiet professional who doesn't cause them any problems and helps them with their computer when it breaks.

like landlords are definitely all scum, sorry mrs. mikhailovich, but when neither of you wants the situation to change it's at least, like, a sort of detente

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sagebrush posted:

they get a tenant who's a quiet professional who doesn't cause them any problems

oh your moving out then!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

pandemic will be on for another year. move to the desert, get fibre, and move back when you have to start working in the office again

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don't rent (self-:guillotine:)

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

hell yeah oakland limiting rent increases to some small % yearly for older units

the landlord still reliably increases it the max permissible amount every year and does their best to make themselves as inaccessible and useless as possible, but i figure the alternative is that they're still inaccessible but increase the rent more

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Strict rent control encourages landlords to put the price up the maximum amount they're allowed to by default, because they can always drop it back later if it's now too high but they can't increase it by more than that if it's too low.

It also encourages landlords to invent ways to boot tenants out as a roundabout way to increase rent by more than what's allowed.

It can be useful as a short-term policy to limit the immediate effects of a housing crunch, but the goal should be to solve the underlying housing issue to the point where rent control is no longer needed. Trying to sustain it long-term results in something utterly dysfunctional.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

ugh so i work for a library

i dont see how we are going to be reopening anytime in the foreseeable future

hashtag furlough forever

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

i've been slightly considering joining the hordes leaving the bay area for austin. like you get 85% of the pay but the rent is like less than half and it's still like a real city with people and things in it

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

in other news the update on this

quote:

product requirements say the time for the product to perform a certain action is x. thus far the latency has been 4x but that was without tuning. after all kinds of tuning and (brittle) optimizations, we've been able to hit a latency of 2x, and there is some hope of approaching 1.5x if everything goes well and some speculative stuff turns out to work. actually reaching a latency of x is probably impossible with the hardware and software architecture decisions that have been made thus far

apparently senior management feels that x is too slow, and the actual latency requirement should be more like 0.5x to better match a competitor. and right now I can't find a way out of being right in the eye wall of this poo poo typhoon

quote:

sort of, it's a hardware product where you mash a button in an app and then the device is supposed to wake up and do some stuff

my name now features prominently on a spreadsheet being passed around management. the pressure is dropping at the centre of this tropical storm of bullshit and home depot is all out of plywood sheeting.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress landlords housing is a human right and I hope they all get their drat heads chopped off

/daydrinking

I remember posting something in a New Zealand forum saying that people shouldn’t be able to own over a hundred rentals in the city and they were like “why the gently caress not??” all angry at me for it

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

DuckConference posted:

in other news the update on this

my name now features prominently on a spreadsheet being passed around management. the pressure is dropping at the centre of this tropical storm of bullshit and home depot is all out of plywood sheeting.

idk how hurricanes work is this good or bad

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jabor posted:

Strict rent control encourages landlords to

loooooool

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
sorry to be the “well here in Australia” guy but here I go anyway-

they changed the law last week so that for the next six months our landlord can’t evict us (even for non payment) and can’t increase our rent. however as some sort of weird conciliation to the landlord class I am not allowed to move out of the property either without going through a court process, even though my lease ended a year ago and it’s now month to month. sucks if I wanted to buy a house or something.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

you'll note that when there's no rent control, landlords do not raise the rent an infinite amount every year

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jabor posted:

you'll note that when there's no rent control, landlords do not raise the rent an infinite amount every year

#whoa #wow the free market is truly the best steward

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
It's scary how competent the Ausgov response to COVID-19 is and I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jabor posted:

there's no commercial rent control in nyc and every so often you hear about a spot that had to close down because the landlord raised the rent 50%

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
I'm just now renewing my lease and was strongly considering just loving off to a cabin in the woods, or somewhere in the countryside since WFH anyway

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

abigserve posted:

It's scary how competent the Ausgov response to COVID-19 is and I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop

the liberals saw how well it’s going in the states and realised hey maybe being a complete knob isn’t the greatest idea after all

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

landlords are going to crank the wheel on price as hard as they collectively think they can every time a new lease comes around, rent control or not; they don’t need any help or excuse

at least with rent control you won’t get hit while you have a place to live — that’s why they hate it

anything else they present is in bad faith

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
my rent doubled one year when i was living in a city with no rent control

my rent in ontario goes up usually around 2.5% per year

i'll take the rent control over the benevolence of a faceless corp or wanna-be real estate mogul any day

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i once rented one of my extra bedrooms to a random dude on reddit who lost his job out of state and found a job near me in MI.

his plan was to get situated with his job then find a place of his own and move his family in.

he was wary of me at first because on the first night he was here i drank a fifth of scotch and passed out on the couch playing dark souls.

pretty soon he was having fun just hanging out and not being around his wife and kids all the time.

his wife eventually started hating the stories she was hearing about me at the time, and after like 6 months she made him move back home.

that's my one and only experience as a landlord

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Falcorum posted:

I'm just now renewing my lease and was strongly considering just loving off to a cabin in the woods, or somewhere in the countryside since WFH anyway

lol your internet connection is gonna be slow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i once rented one of my extra bedrooms to a random dude on reddit who lost his job out of state and found a job near me in MI.

his plan was to get situated with his job then find a place of his own and move his family in.

he was wary of me at first because on the first night he was here i drank a fifth of scotch and passed out on the couch playing dark souls.

pretty soon he was having fun just hanging out and not being around his wife and kids all the time.

his wife eventually started hating the stories she was hearing about me at the time, and after like 6 months she made him move back home.

that's my one and only experience as a landlord
sounds like you saved a marriage in the easiest and raddest possible way imo