Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Chris Pistols posted:

This is half an hour long and opens with this image:

I'm going to give it a miss.

I don't know what kind of point you're making here but I promise you it's not coming across as well as you think. You do you though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I had to double check the playback speed a few times because drat she talks fast.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Chris Pistols posted:

This is half an hour long and opens with this image:

I'm going to give it a miss.

Good for you buddy, wish we could all be as cool as you

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
When thinking of Lovecraft and his racism, I think of Lovecraft from the comic Planetary.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I look forward to the hot takes about this other half-hour Youtube video about engaging with Lovecraft's fiction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8u8wZ0WvxI

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals
My mistake, everybody. I'm not used to cartoon avatars of the narrator with a raised eyebrow and crossed arms telling me anything good. I will give it a chance. Peace & Love.

Edit: this is interesting & I was a fool

Chris Pistols has a new favorite as of 17:58 on May 5, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/daveanthony/status/1257708738519003136

https://twitter.com/daveanthony/status/1257715920656457729

Reporting on bad things, in fact, makes them possible.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Chris Pistols posted:

My mistake, everybody. I'm not used to cartoon avatars of the narrator with a raised eyebrow and crossed arms telling me anything good. I will give it a chance. Peace & Love.

:hfive: All good.

My own personal favorite is the bit she did on Stranger in a Strange Land, and how... incredibly poorly it’s aged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jAkplrZci0

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I have a genuinely hard time believing Stranger in a Strange Land or any Heinlen was ever well-receieved on release except by the perpetual crowd of "that guys" who didn't yet have reddit or 4chan to go on.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1257508900812713984?s=19

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

It's ok to give your android baby a name. You don't have to just refer to it by its model number.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Regalingualius posted:

:hfive: All good.

My own personal favorite is the bit she did on Stranger in a Strange Land, and how... incredibly poorly it’s aged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jAkplrZci0

About 20 years ago, on the advice of an experienced female co-worker I really respected, I bought and read this book. It really lost me around the sex cult part. I continually ignored my growing confusion and distaste up until then, including an uneasy acceptance of Jubal Harshaw's extremely hard to believe sex-kitten commune, but the sex cult straight up disgusted me. I finished the book but assumed my dislike of the thing had more to do with my "not getting it" than it being the jerk-off fantasy of its author, melded with the hippie-dippie bullshit of its time.

Nah, it's a really outdated and bad book. Thanks for this video, it's given me closure.

Needs to talk slower though, what's the drat hurry? Don't worry, I'm interested in your video and will watch it all the way through!

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Chris Pistols posted:

Nice of you to be diplomatic but I can't stand the attitude in this thread that everyone should already be aware of the "appropriate" sources of information. Especially when everything is couched in so many layers of sarcasm and smugness.

I've been going down the rabbit hole of philosophy channels on YouTube since the pandemic started. It's interesting and educational. I'm learning a lot, especially with regards to dog whistling and the sneaky way people hide the true nature of their message. But I'm getting wore out on all the eye rolling "these guys, am I right?" method of delivery.

I guess it's fun for some people. I'm still watching this stuff because it's very interesting. I just wish it came wrapped in a different package.

What are some good, left leaning channels out there that make their points while leaving standup comedy to the professionals?

The Ferret King has a new favorite as of 19:49 on May 5, 2020

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

Needs to talk slower though, what's the drat hurry? Don't worry, I'm interested in your video and will watch it all the way through!
As one of those weirdos who watches most YT videos on 1.5-2x speed because most speakers take too long to get to the point, I appreciate a channel that said "We're not showing our faces, so we can afford to speed up our audio and save everyone some time."

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I actually slowed those videos down because there's no way to pay attention to what she's saying and read the artwork at that pace. It's ignore one or the other.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

I have a genuinely hard time believing Stranger in a Strange Land or any Heinlen was ever well-receieved on release except by the perpetual crowd of "that guys" who didn't yet have reddit or 4chan to go on.

"that guys" were never more culturally powerful than in the mid 20th century. sci-fi lit was at that weird nexus of hugely popular but sort of underground so random horny guys could just thump out pages and get buried in money and awards

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The Ferret King posted:

What are some good, left leaning channels out there that make their points while leaving standup comedy to the professionals?

Could you give a list of who you're watching and who you dislike the comedy styling of?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Beartaco posted:

Sorry to go back to the Amanda Palmer chat, but does anyone have a link to what she's talking about here? I listened to the entirety of that very mediocre album and didn't catch anything. I listened to the song she specifically mentioned in the replies; "Blake Says" very carefully and didn't hear anything like what she's talking about.

I think the version with the recording was an alternate version of the album / an early version. The one that you can find on Spotify/Bandcamp/wherever doesn't have it.
I was a big Palmer fan for a while in my teens/ early 20s (and I still think a lot of her music is pretty good, it's just the rest of her whole deal that sucks), and I'd never heard the fake suicide thing until I went looking last time Palmer was the internet's main character.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

T-man posted:

Could you give a list of who you're watching and who you dislike the comedy styling of?

I've been binging Thought Slime, Some More News, PhilosophyTube, Dumpster Flower, Three Arrows.

I guess Thought Slime and Some More News are the ones I'm thinking of when it comes to sarcasm-onslaughts. It's not even that I think it's bad or even unfunny, but that they lay it on too thick.

It's not going to keep me from watching them. I think my gripe boils down to:

1) Sometimes I just want the deets without the fluff and I don't trust myself to find and correctly interpret the material. I didn't even understand the concept of dog whistles until much too recently.

2) Sometimes I get really on board with a concept and want to share the material with people who I think would be receptive, but who I know for a fact will tune it out the second they catch a whiff that they're being mocked, or see that the channel has a cartoony, childish visual style.

Like, I enjoy Philosophy Tube. I even like the occasional theatrics. But, I can't lead with this:

Surely, there's room for all of it on YouTube. I would love suggestions on more stuff like Three Arrows.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Despite looking up who Amanda Palmer was, every time this thread mentions her I picture Major Carter from Stargate (she blew up a sun.)

That's Amanda Tapping.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
They're non-political but I kind of like the youtube Storytime Animation community, a group of young animators who use their avatars to tell animated anecdotes and at one point a bunch of them worked with a mutual friend called Boyinaband to make personal music videos about their outlooks on life, like Odd1sOut's song, called "Life is Fun" is effectively about intrusive thoughts that he suffers from, and JaidenAnimations song is about an eating disorder she has trouble with.

SomethingElseYT: I'm Something Else (his songs are totally solo due to being the only one who is a musician by trade, he has another called "Help, Oh Well" both songs are helped by guest animators to make the animation more elaborate than they could do solo in a decent timefame Help Oh Well)

This is an example of SomethingElse's usual thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7rjvYo-1H8

JaidenAnimations: Empty, with Boyinaband. This one's unique in that it's totally liveaction, but Jaiden's normal vids are animated anecdotes like the others.

TheOdd1sOut: Life is Fun

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

mind the walrus posted:

I named my cat after the martian main character in Stranger in a Strange Land, because as messed up as that book is I liked the concept and the character. Plus he is a little awkward strange boy.

But yeah the sexism permeates it throughout and the last half just goes off the rails with the morphing blonde sex cult, like wtf

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/spookperson/status/1257741118466187265?s=19

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

The Ferret King posted:

I've been binging Thought Slime, Some More News, PhilosophyTube, Dumpster Flower, Three Arrows.

I guess Thought Slime and Some More News are the ones I'm thinking of when it comes to sarcasm-onslaughts. It's not even that I think it's bad or even unfunny, but that they lay it on too thick.

It's not going to keep me from watching them. I think my gripe boils down to:

1) Sometimes I just want the deets without the fluff and I don't trust myself to find and correctly interpret the material. I didn't even understand the concept of dog whistles until much too recently.

2) Sometimes I get really on board with a concept and want to share the material with people who I think would be receptive, but who I know for a fact will tune it out the second they catch a whiff that they're being mocked, or see that the channel has a cartoony, childish visual style.

Like, I enjoy Philosophy Tube. I even like the occasional theatrics. But, I can't lead with this:

Surely, there's room for all of it on YouTube. I would love suggestions on more stuff like Three Arrows.

If you like Three Arrows, try Shaun (who seems to be the closest to what you're looking for):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ6o36XL0CpYb6U5dNBiXHQ

You may also like the Radical Reviewer, who is generally very straightforward despite ostensibly pretending to be a dog:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_V9wKk1Dd2rpZ4fxj7pKXA

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

About 20 years ago, on the advice of an experienced female co-worker I really respected, I bought and read this book. It really lost me around the sex cult part. I continually ignored my growing confusion and distaste up until then, including an uneasy acceptance of Jubal Harshaw's extremely hard to believe sex-kitten commune, but the sex cult straight up disgusted me. I finished the book but assumed my dislike of the thing had more to do with my "not getting it" than it being the jerk-off fantasy of its author, melded with the hippie-dippie bullshit of its time.

This is how I briefly got into Heinlein. I hit Stranger in A Strange Land about midway through my Heinlein arc and loved the concept, and hated where it went.

The book where I decided to shelve Heinlein forever was Friday.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

x ampersand oh posted:

3. The "did not pay her band" story is actually completely distorted and false:
She HAD a touring band. A paid touring band. The same band she made that album with.
She HAD opening acts. They were paid, too.

What she wanted was at every city on that tour for random local musicians to come up on stage and play with her and her band during the main concert as a big interactive experience. For fun. On a volunteer basis. it was just a last minute idea of an extra thing to add to the shows.

When other people said "hey we know you came up in this sort of diy punk communal hippy crashing concerts for free sort of way but in this day and age it sets bad precedent to not pay artists for any reason" she understood and made smaller, paid arrangements but by this point in time the internet blew the whole thing out of proportion and made up this whole exaggeration that isn't even how it happened and now this story gets spread around each and every time her name is mentioned and maybe we can stop doing that?

i'm going to be honest, even if it was legitimately a brain fart it doesn't absolve her of how she was basically suggesting she get to use other artists for free for her tour, even as volunteers. it could still be very exploitative, as people will perform just to say they were on the stage with her and if she didn't think of that, she drat well should've.

with fame comes power, and with power comes responsibility, once you hit a certain point you can't just 'ask for volunteers' for poo poo anymore and expect that people won't be up your rear end about how you definitely have enough money to pay people and shouldn't be suggesting free funtimes. It's more than fair to hold her responsible for this and get upset at her idiocy. the road to hell is paved with good intentions, and all that.

she's not a diy punk anymore by virtue of her celebrity, the two philosophies are incompatible, and she can't get back to being one by simply trying to hang around folks who are and asking if they'll perform with her for free so she can 'feel genuine'

she's impulsive and it hurts people, and then she's not apologetic about it which isn't 'strong alpha bitch', it's just being horrible to people with your narcissism

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 22:33 on May 5, 2020

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I've only ever read Starship Troopers as a youngster and was bored to tears. Gave up on heinlein after that. If you are looking for a book that's about bug wars that's actually fun search out :

which is about a race of lizard people in an endless space war with bugs and it's kicking rad. I reread it once in college and still enjoyed it but that was fifteen years ago so ymmv.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/michaeljknowles/status/1257788002530557952

Warm Fish Salad
Dec 16, 2016

You Compleat Me

ilmucche posted:

I did not know that the brave little toaster was lovecraftian.

I was loving terrified of the air conditioner scene when I was a kid. Everybody always talks about Toaster's clown dream, which is bizarre and terrifying to be sure, but Air Conditioner having a mental breakdown and appearing to loving die was what really did it for me at age 5. I warmed up to AC as I got a little older and watched the move a few hundred times, though. The worst part about TBLT, no question, is the drat flower scene. You know the one. Pretty sure that poo poo gave me clinical depression.

I loving love that drat Lovecraftian toaster movie.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Kantesu posted:

If you like Three Arrows, try Shaun (who seems to be the closest to what you're looking for):

You may also like the Radical Reviewer, who is generally very straightforward despite ostensibly pretending to be a dog:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_V9wKk1Dd2rpZ4fxj7pKXA

I appreciate the suggestions, thanks.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Not gonna lie, I've been laughing for a full five minutes at the realization that Cold Air was "Lovecraft is legit afraid of air conditioners." Holy poo poo, that's delightfully unhinged.

YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE NEEDS TO BE COLD? CORPSES! LET IT GET HOT SO THE UNDEAD WILL DIE!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Warm Fish Salad posted:

I was loving terrified of the air conditioner scene when I was a kid. Everybody always talks about Toaster's clown dream, which is bizarre and terrifying to be sure, but Air Conditioner having a mental breakdown and appearing to loving die was what really did it for me at age 5. I warmed up to AC as I got a little older and watched the move a few hundred times, though. The worst part about TBLT, no question, is the drat flower scene. You know the one. Pretty sure that poo poo gave me clinical depression.

I loving love that drat Lovecraftian toaster movie.

It's been years since I've seen it and air conditioner is the only part that stuck with me. I might have to watch it again.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I'm a big fan of the appliance body horror and snuff musical section. Salami and screams.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Kantesu posted:

I really want to get into watching Shaun's videos but there's just something about his voice that makes it literally impossible for me to keep focus. :(

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

ilmucche posted:

It's been years since I've seen it and air conditioner is the only part that stuck with me. I might have to watch it again.

The scene where all the cars sing sadly about their lives before getting crushed into cubes still depresses the hell out of me.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

letthereberock posted:

The scene where all the cars sing sadly about their lives before getting crushed into cubes still depresses the hell out of me.
There's a scene that'll make a kid confront the concept of mortality real quick.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

How are so many people unable to tell that masks are to minimize spread from the wearer?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

mind the walrus posted:

How are so many people unable to tell that masks are to minimize spread from the wearer?

This guy even acknowledges that in the first part of his tweet, then just seamlessly lapses straight into "covering his face IN FEAR"

I can never tell how much of this poo poo is idiocy or calculation

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

not wanting to put other people in danger requires a sense of empathy and consideration for others. it's possible to fake this concern for a while if you're a selfish bastard but it's easy to slip out of the mindset of caring if others live or die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

oldpainless posted:

Do y’all know the name of Lovecrafts cat?
Was it H.P. Lovecat?