Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

grack posted:

Hmmm

That looks terribly dangerous

It is! But if you're looking for secondhand Japanese pens there really is no better source. Ebay prices are ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
My brother got me a Diplomat Traveller for my birthday, which I love and will probably be my everyday carry pen. The only thing is that the Traveller is a medium point and my Excellence A2 is a fine, and I've discovered that I much prefer the medium point. Google tells me the Excellence A2 would accept a Jowo #6 nib but I don't know how to change them and I'm not comfortable experimenting on a $180 pen. Is there any way I could get a complete assembly to swap out or something without buying a whole new pen?

Jabarto fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 22, 2020

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I can't find any videos for that pen in particular but it looks like they just sell whole nib units for the pen so you'd basically just unscrew the grip and swap in a new one.

edit: read your post backwards. It looks like the A2 is friction fit but honestly it's not that difficult, even so. Though it does sound like they're just branded jowo nibs.

Messing around with a pen that almost cost $200 is scary, certainly, but the absolute worst thing that happens is you bust the nib and you're replacing that anyway and it's only 20 bucks.

Edit 2: If you're still not comfortable doing that try sending off an email to the distributor of Diplomat where you live. In the US it's Yafa. It's unlikely but possible they have some kind of trade in policy.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 22, 2020

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

You could try contacting Yafa. Apparently they will sell you parts from what I've read online.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

NPD

Recently commissioned a pen from Phil Crutchfield at Kensington Valley Pens and took delivery of it today. The chocolate and gold alumilite is absolutely gorgeous and the picture doesn't really do the pen justice. It's fitted with a medium Bock nib on a custom-sized, long and slightly-tapered section. It's really wonderful to hold and fits the hand perfectly. It came with a long international converter, but it also has the ability to be turned into an eyedropper with some silicon grease. Using this pen makes me so glad I took a chance and had something custom made. Phil is a really nice guy, super easy to work with, and answered all of my dumb questions promptly. Definitely recommend him if anyone is thinking of getting something custom.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I'm eyeing a Pilot Namiki FP Grandee Urushi but I don't know what converter goes with it. Anyone have a clue?

It's similar to this one:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/pilot-namiki-fp-grandee-urushi-455469969

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

gschmidl posted:

I'm eyeing a Pilot Namiki FP Grandee Urushi but I don't know what converter goes with it. Anyone have a clue?

It's similar to this one:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/pilot-namiki-fp-grandee-urushi-455469969

It should take all of them other than the CON-70.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Do Pilot nibs tend to run smaller on the VP/Capless than their normal offerings? I have a Capless and an E95 with medium nibs, but the E95's nib writes almost twice as wide.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The Capless steel nib is easily the finest writer I've ever used. Even moreso than the equivalent size gold variety.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

That's funny. It seems like the VP's gold nib has the opposite thing. My medium VP feels somewhere between medium and broad for pilot.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

Hey goons. I have a Pilot Metro medium and I love it, and I'm interested in expanding into some swanky poo poo that would be especially nice for writing cards/personal notes to people. Any suggestions?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

A TWSBI 1.1 stub is my first stub nib pen and thats a lot of fun to write with my normal handwriting, I find that it makes me slow down a bit so my writing looks better than normal. Pilot parallels don't look so swanky but they are really nice for writing swanky.if you want to learn a calligraphy style that suits stub nibs, my class notes have never looked better! :downs:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I liked to use stub nibs to fake bold lettering for important terms. I would write normal text in a fine black and then use Fuyu-Gaki in a stub so vocabulary would be neon orange-red and bold. I got a lot of compliments on how pretty my notes were.

Didn't help me get better grades but drat if it didn't look nice.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

A stub nib with a nice ink will go a long way. Get a nice shading blue or black for professional stuff and maybe something like Emerald of Chivor for less formal stuff.

Stub nibs used properly will give a nice faux calligraphy style a lot people will appreciate.

A semi-flex/soft pen like the pilot Falcon would also be nice for this.

edit: noodlers apache sunset is an incredible shading orange-red that's nice too.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 30, 2020

Make It Rain
Dec 5, 2007

A blighted worldview.
Friends, I want to try an ebonite bodied pen. I have this idea that they would be more comfortable than what I’m used to for long writing sessions.

Can anyone vouch for an ebonite pen at or under $100? I’ve seen Ranga pens in that price range but I defer to my betters.

For reference my daily pen is a metro and while it’s generally great I’d like to try something nicer.

Make It Rain fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 30, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
I got an ebonite Maya w/ Jowo nib from asapens.in a couple years ago when they were posted about in here and I like it. I can't compare to any other ebonite pens, but the feel and look are good imo. I'm not usually big on larger diameter pens but it fits this pen well.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Fountain Pen Revolution, Maya, Ranga and Guider are all solid choices. If you're in the US, check out fprevolutionusa.com

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Noodlers also has a few pens with ebonite variants.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I have the Himalaya v2 in ebonite from FPR and I really like it. The flex nib is a bit finicky but it should me perfectly fine with a normal nib.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions goons. I went with a 1.5mm Pilot Parallel and a couple of Kakunos because I wanted them :).

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Kakunos, the extra fine one I bought from Japan on April 4th still isn't here yet. Who <em>knows</em> how long shipping from that area is taking right now. No tracking number either. I should have asked here where I can get an extra fine nib from the US.

I've been using these Pilot Namiki ink cartridges in my Metro. They're good, but I want to try an ink. Something extra deep black, quick drying, and preferably is waterproof because I'd like to try some watercolor on it. I almost bought some Noodler's Black ink, but I read that it dries very slowly and is only waterproof on some paper. But I know Noodler's is very well respected, so maybe I'm looking at the wrong ink in their line? I've heard good things about De Atrementis also. Suggestions?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Platinum Carbon black is the go-to for sketching or inking with watercolors. It dries pretty quick and is feels fine to write with, too.

Noodler's are ok, but the bulletproof inks don't really dry on smooth paper so they'll smear or smudge with water. They're meant more to stop forgers from bleaching your checks than anything.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Chip McFuck posted:

Platinum Carbon black is the go-to for sketching or inking with watercolors. It dries pretty quick and is feels fine to write with, too.

Noodler's are ok, but the bulletproof inks don't really dry on smooth paper so they'll smear or smudge with water. They're meant more to stop forgers from bleaching your checks than anything.

I heard Platinum Carbon is pigmented, so you need to clean the pen every month or so. I'm leaning towards De Atraments Document Black because I like writing just as much as sketching and the video reviews I've seen look excellent.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Any acid-free waterproof ink is going to be pigmented, including Document Black. It's their nature, unfortunately. They need larger particles to bond to the paper.

Edit: Clarifying.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 1, 2020

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Chip McFuck posted:

Any waterproof ink is going to be pigmented, including Document Black. It's their nature, unfortunately. They need larger particles to bond to the paper.

Edit: Clarifying.

This isn't true. You can get modern iron-gall inks that are safe for use in fountain pens.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

That's true. I'll edit my post again as I should have clarified that any acid-free waterproof ink would be pigmented. I honestly didn't even think of iron gall when it comes to art making. Four years of art school kinda drills it into your head to never use anything with acid in it if you want to preserve your work.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 2, 2020

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I only recently learned what iron gall actually is. Fuckin' wasps.

Make It Rain
Dec 5, 2007

A blighted worldview.
Thanks for the ebonite suggestions. Going for an FPR Himalaya v2 I think. Not sure I’m ready for the flex nib experience just yet. Some day.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

I forgot to ask in my last post: Any recommendations for blank correspondence cards that play nicely with fountain pens?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

The barrel on my Metro cracked a long time ago, but I just started getting back into bullet journaling. I could afford to get a nicer pen - is there a decent breakpoint breakdown chart for what I get for cost? The Pen Addict listed the Platinum 3776, which seems to be ~$170 on Jetpens but Amazon has listings around $100 (if they can be trusted), which doesn't strike me as insane given that Metro's seem to run around $25 right now.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The low-cost listings are Japanese domestic market sellers. They won't come with a converter, but they are legit.

Edit: Also I bought another Delta.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

grack posted:

Edit: Also I bought another Delta.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Grimes posted:

I forgot to ask in my last post: Any recommendations for blank correspondence cards that play nicely with fountain pens?

Haven't used them myself, but I've heard good things of the J. Herbin stationary sets.

Edit: Got a Wing Sung 601 in the mail today. They make wonderful workhorses.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 6, 2020

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

e: initial idiocy resolved

My Grandee Urushi arrived! I asked about a converter earlier; does the answer "any Pilot converter but the 70" still apply? It seems to be made in the Hiratsuka plant in August 1987. Here's a photo with an empty cartridge in, the thing what punches the cartridge, and the front end.

Thanks!

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 8, 2020

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

gschmidl posted:

e: initial idiocy resolved

My Grandee Urushi arrived! I asked about a converter earlier; does the answer "any Pilot converter but the 70" still apply? It seems to be made in the Hiratsuka plant in August 1987. Here's a photo with an empty cartridge in, the thing what punches the cartridge, and the front end.

Thanks!

Not sure why you've unscrewed the metal bit from the section - that joint should stay tight to avoid leakage. Otherwise, that's a normal Pilot cartridge and a normal Pilot cartridge piercing thingy, so I'd think that if a converter can physically fit into the barrel then you should be good to go.

On second thought, a CON-50 might be too fat to fit through the metal ring to reach the piercer. It might be safest to try a CON-20 if you have one, those fit in pretty much everything. I don't have this particular model but I have a bunch of 80s Pilots and haven't run into any converter issues.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Dad Hominem posted:

Not sure why you've unscrewed the metal bit from the section - that joint should stay tight to avoid leakage. Otherwise, that's a normal Pilot cartridge and a normal Pilot cartridge piercing thingy, so I'd think that if a converter can physically fit into the barrel then you should be good to go.

On second thought, a CON-50 might be too fat to fit through the metal ring to reach the piercer. It might be safest to try a CON-20 if you have one, those fit in pretty much everything. I don't have this particular model but I have a bunch of 80s Pilots and haven't run into any converter issues.

It came with an empty cartridge stuck in it so fast I had to pop it in the ultrasonic cleaner to be able to safely dislodge it, and I didn't want to submerge the urushi. Unfortunately, I don't have any kind of converter for it and the discontinued CON-20 seems to go for fantasy money. Only thing easily purchaseable is the CON-40, it seems.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

gschmidl posted:

It came with an empty cartridge stuck in it so fast I had to pop it in the ultrasonic cleaner to be able to safely dislodge it, and I didn't want to submerge the urushi. Unfortunately, I don't have any kind of converter for it and the discontinued CON-20 seems to go for fantasy money. Only thing easily purchaseable is the CON-40, it seems.

Ah I see. The 40 is supposed to have the same dimensions as the 20, so you should be fine there. I'd offer to sell you a 20 from my hoard but international shipping is all wonky at the moment.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Dad Hominem posted:

Ah I see. The 40 is supposed to have the same dimensions as the 20, so you should be fine there. I'd offer to sell you a 20 from my hoard but international shipping is all wonky at the moment.

I should probably just get some normal cartridges for now and, if I may, get back to you on that once postal services have unfucked themselves, unless the 40 is a big improvement over the 20 (reviews seem to indicate otherwise?)

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

gschmidl posted:

I should probably just get some normal cartridges for now and, if I may, get back to you on that once postal services have unfucked themselves, unless the 40 is a big improvement over the 20 (reviews seem to indicate otherwise?)

Personally I haven't had any trouble with the 40 but it's universally hated in reviews. Can't go wrong with cartridges in the meantime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Got my first ink samples! Vanness has super fast shipping. I got Aurora Black and DeAtramentis Archive Black. And a Pilot CON-40, which is annoying and only fills up halfway; maybe I should have tried the squeeze converter that came with my Metro.

Aurora Black is darker than Pilot Namiki, and the ink consistency is different. The pen feels scratchier on the paper, which gives more of a tactile feedback.

Haven't tried the Archive Black yet, I'm a bit nervous to use pigmented ink because of the maintenance.