Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Phobophilia posted:

Well I've caught up since. Finne's personality is still much more bare-bones than Endo or Kobayashi or Seig or Liselotte or Baldur. So the writer can be good at characters, it's just that they chose to make her a pure force of nature.

Meat-loving, musclehead Finne is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm enjoying An Ideal Lazy Life but the fact that Bona and Francesco are the ones on the cover instead of Aura and Zenjirou still bothers me. Those aren't the main characters!

SeanGaffney
Mar 16, 2002
Nomad of the Time Streams

Argas posted:

The werewolf LN (Der Werwolf: The Annals of Veight) is up to 7 volumes now anyway. It's kind of a decent read. A slightly toned down isekai power fantasy because the MC is somewhat humble and doesn't particularly care about flexing his isekai advantages the way a more typical protagonist would.

The MC's humbleness is in fact the funniest gag in the series, and the author knows it. I call him "Unfrozen Caveman Werewolf" because that's how it comes off. "I'm just a simple vice-commander..."

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

RareAcumen posted:

I'm enjoying An Ideal Lazy Life but the fact that Bona and Francesco are the ones on the cover instead of Aura and Zenjirou still bothers me. Those aren't the main characters!

Chibi Zenjirou is on all the covers, Aura has been on 5 of the 8 covers released so far

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Chibi Zenjirou is on all the covers, Aura has been on 5 of the 8 covers released so far

I meant the main one, on the Mangadex page where you choose what chapter to look at.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

RareAcumen posted:

I meant the main one, on the Mangadex page where you choose what chapter to look at.

I think that changes over time depending on what cover is associated with the latest translated chapter.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's great when he thinks they're just all playing along with him, and when something that ought to be a massive challenge comes incredibly easily to him he thinks its all staged, but when he makes dumbass assumptions about what his closest entourage actually thinks and gets petty and jealous about poo poo it's just far, far worse. It strides the line, but falls off it quite often. A Will Eternal has a similar main character that's just far, far better.

Having read the LN a bit for Shadows the line is pretty firmly 'ok dude, now you're just being a selfish rear end in a top hat.' It's funny when he accidentally helps people out while trying to be cool in the shadows but when he hurts people it's almost always on purpose.
In the manga so far it's been a bit better for showing it as a flaw of his character but that still gets uncomfortably close to 'idiot that doesn't care about anything/anyone other than his power complex' that it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Paracelsus posted:

I think that changes over time depending on what cover is associated with the latest translated chapter.
it sucks that mangadex automatically defaults to the latest manga volume cover for series since oftentimes covers can be pretty spoilery. why not just keep it at the first volume cover, make everything consistent.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Mangadex is seemingly set up so you can never loving find what you are looking for. Just constantly change the cover art and use no English titles

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
supposedly the dynamic title based on what language site you're using is on the list of things to update, alongside being able to hide specific series, but who the gently caress knows when they'll add either

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

SeanGaffney posted:

The MC's humbleness is in fact the funniest gag in the series, and the author knows it. I call him "Unfrozen Caveman Werewolf" because that's how it comes off. "I'm just a simple vice-commander..."

It started funny but it's kind of overstayed its welcome for me. It does seem like things are about to change with the next volume but who knows.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

They’re funded entirely on donated bitcoin, which isn’t great for a consistent programming schedule.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jackard posted:

Mangadex is seemingly set up so you can never loving find what you are looking for. Just constantly change the cover art and use no English titles

Don’t they usually use the most current cover? Though sometimes they don’t if it has spoilers.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

RatHat posted:

Don’t they usually use the most current cover? Though sometimes they don’t if it has spoilers.

For the series we've been talking about, there are 8 covers uploaded, but they're using the 5th. The 6th - 8th covers feature a character who has not shown up yet.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
someone is uploading higher quality versions of Hero BBS which, if you've missed out on it, is one of the better general isekai series and is complete at 3 volumes(sadly). It focuses around an interdimensional BBS where various isekai/hero protagonists can discuss the circumstances in their worlds or get assistance.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

This might sound a bit odd, but are there any Isekai series out there where the protagonist genuinely wants a challenge and declines a cheat (Besides Karate Baka)? I'm so bored seeing 'slow life' repeated ad nauseum when I do searches. I'd like a protagonist who knows he's going to have to work hard to succeed and is eager for the challenge.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

someone is uploading higher quality versions of Hero BBS which, if you've missed out on it, is one of the better general isekai series and is complete at 3 volumes(sadly). It focuses around an interdimensional BBS where various isekai/hero protagonists can discuss the circumstances in their worlds or get assistance.

Now that's a series that is definitely worth another read.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

khy posted:

This might sound a bit odd, but are there any Isekai series out there where the protagonist genuinely wants a challenge and declines a cheat (Besides Karate Baka)? I'm so bored seeing 'slow life' repeated ad nauseum when I do searches. I'd like a protagonist who knows he's going to have to work hard to succeed and is eager for the challenge.

I'm guessing you don't care if that particular scene plays out or not, but would rather have a more ordinary protagonist in general. I can't search and link to stuff from this computer but I can vaguely gesture and infer. Hopefully this will prime the pump.

There's the one with the girl that tames a seemingly lovely slime and is basically dumpster diving her way across the country. There's one were a bunch of Japanese got isekai'd as basically ordinary people and had to adventure anyways, and they're not doing so hot. I think that series stopped updating on Mangadex. I also am not so sure it would count as "wholesome" despite not filling up a trash isekai bingo card.

There are some LN/WN alternatives if you don't care about having doodles.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

khy posted:

The current Yearly #1 ranker on Narou is called Hell Mode and is basically about a guy who's sick and tired of ez mode games and decides to find a new online game for hardcore gamers like himself, picking the hardest settings and class on a website form, and instantly gets reincarnated in a fantasy world with a game-like system controlling everything. His choices makes him need 100x more experience points to level up (skills, stats, etc), so he's in for quite a grind. Not sure if that's what you're looking for.

Personally I lost interest after about 35 chapters, but lots of people seem to enjoy it, given its ranking. No clue about translations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

khy posted:

That's pretty specific and tough. Here's a few that might fit the "challenging isekai" description:

The Wolf Won't Sleep https://mangadex.org/title/37088/the-wolf-won-t-sleep
Thorny Road of a Dragon https://mangadex.org/title/23774/tensei-shitara-dragon-no-tamago-datta-ibara-no-dragon-road
Yakuza Reincarnation https://mangadex.org/title/43476/yakuza-reincarnation
Comprehension > Sword https://mangadex.org/title/35069/isekai-demo-bunan-ni-ikitai-shoukougun

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Jackard posted:

That's pretty specific and tough. Here's a few that might fit the "challenging isekai" description:

The Wolf Won't Sleep https://mangadex.org/title/37088/the-wolf-won-t-sleep
Thorny Road of a Dragon https://mangadex.org/title/23774/tensei-shitara-dragon-no-tamago-datta-ibara-no-dragon-road
Yakuza Reincarnation https://mangadex.org/title/43476/yakuza-reincarnation
Comprehension > Sword https://mangadex.org/title/35069/isekai-demo-bunan-ni-ikitai-shoukougun

Not isekai, but Undead Adventurer also fits this mold.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Jackard posted:

That's pretty specific and tough.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm guessing you don't care if that particular scene plays out or not, but would rather have a more ordinary protagonist in general.

My desire for this comes from 2 sources. 1st is being at home and gaming more than usual puts me in the mood to play some of my games at a harder difficulty than I would in the past, and finding enjoyment in the challenge. With so many Isekai's having a cheat that gives them ez-mode I started craving a protagonist that has no such cheat and overcomes tremendous odds.

The 2nd is simply being so goddamn sick of the 'protagonist wants a slow life' that I went 180 degrees and want a protagonist who craves the exact opposite; one who seeks and encourages difficulty and doesn't just want to be left alone, but wants to stand out and achieve and actually excel.

I have been reading Comprehension and Yakuza Reincarnation, will check out Wolf Won't Sleep / Thorny Road / Hell Mode. Thanks for recommendations.

khy fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 8, 2020

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Don't forget Sekai Game where the protagonist is dropped into his 'favourite' game, as hard as Dark Souls, but with the buggyness of Oblivion, the balance of a romhack and the assholishness of Bennet Foddy.

While he knows the game like the back of his hand and instantly digs up powerful equipment like the indestructible torch for training stats, and wields the poorly-programmed sword with the hitbox of a polearm, he also has to deal with NPCs like:
A little girl that insults you constantly, but gets you arrested if you're mean back
An adventurer that leads a train of mobs before dumping aggro onto you if you grind in the same area too long
A hero people only know about through datamining, because his broken AI means he dies in lava before you could ever meet him
The catgirl swordswoman waifu of one of the devs who spent way too much time animating her ears
And many more!

He has to navigate this world, avoiding it's traps and errors to beat the game and go home.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
You might take a look at the Survival of a Sword King webtoon -- the MC gets thrown into a game-like world but his guideline (info display + level up system + skills etc.) is hosed by a glitch and he can't raise his level far enough to get out of the lovely beginner zone so he spends like 20 years grinding levels 1-4 over and over against increasingly more powerful monsters because it's scaled to his actual XP rather than his level :v: He does eventually get out but then he's got other problems that arise from being on the surface a low-level noob. He's still extremely overpowered due to the grinding so his challenges lie more in navigating a system where things are level-locked and hiding the fact that he's from another world. It's also mostly a comedy so it may not be anything near what you're looking for but I think it's pretty fun.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 8, 2020

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Found this recently: A Stepmother's Fairytale

It's about a young woman who was married off (while pretty young) to a nobleman who died soon after. She was left to care for his kids until the oldest was able to take the place of the head of the family, and, while she is able to do that, her relationship with those kids and her reputation end up being awful. She finds herself transported nine years back to when she was 16, at her husband's funeral, and takes the chance to do it better this time.

It really is a good read! It's heartwarming and there's a lot of courtly politics/intrigue going on while she tries to connect with her kids and deal with scheming family members

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Everything Burrito posted:

You might take a look at the Survival of a Sword King webtoon -- the MC gets thrown into a game-like world but his guideline (info display + level up system + skills etc.) is hosed by a glitch and he can't raise his level far enough to get out of the lovely beginner zone so he spends like 20 years grinding levels 1-4 over and over against increasingly more powerful monsters because it's scaled to his actual XP rather than his level :v: He does eventually get out but then he's got other problems that arise from being on the surface a low-level noob. He's still extremely overpowered due to the grinding so his challenges lie more in navigating a system where things are level-locked and hiding the fact that he's from another world. It's also mostly a comedy so it may not be anything near what you're looking for but I think it's pretty fun.

I binged the webtoon. I like the setting and how it works to restrain the MC's actions. The other people who got isekei'd went rampaging and the world's rulers set up an inquisition to purge them and anyone who dares to offer them comfort.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

New chapter of Beware of the Villainess! up where she bitchslaps the leader of the werewolves into total compliance.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

khy posted:

New chapter of Beware of the Villainess! up where she bitchslaps the leader of the werewolves into total compliance.

You forget the important part

She stole the +1 sword and also gained a werewolf husband

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

AtomikKrab posted:

I binged the webtoon. I like the setting and how it works to restrain the MC's actions. The other people who got isekei'd went rampaging and the world's rulers set up an inquisition to purge them and anyone who dares to offer them comfort.

I think we need more stories where the antagonists are effectively fellow isekai'd earthlings, except they've gone bad and are going around fulfilling their worst urges. At the very least, these kinds of stories can play around with much more dramatic tension.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Misadventures of Local Knight Hans did that and then abruptly ended immediately after the first big conflict

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Konosuba and the Slime Reincarnation are also doing that

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Also it was the entire premise of Sir Hans, that he was this local dude who had to wrangle a whole bunch of Japanese people showing up independently of each other.

e: i can't read

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Reading the translated bits of Undead Adventurer LN6 and it's mucho good. Really like Rentt's home village and it's made subtly clear that it's no ordinary village in some bits, that and it's hilarious how everyone instantly assumes Lorraine is his wife and how it's amazing that such a single-minded guy landed someone like her or even managed to get married at all. Also, Rentt's desire for why he wanted to be an adventurer is both sad and heartwarming.

Also, anyone read Deathbound Duke's Daughter and Seven Nobles?

So far it's been pretty good and the art and aesthetic reminds me of Grim Grimoire or something like that.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 10, 2020

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Isekai-adjacent but seems wholesome and likely to remain that way: Sousou no Frieren, aka Frieren at the Funeral. The story of an elf who was a member of the hero's party, who has to deal with the vast difference in lifespan between herself and her friends, which she doesn't really wrap her head around until meeting them at a 50-year meteor shower she had idly suggested they meet up again to see after saving the kingdom.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oof, that translation.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh, the second chapter has a decent translation. it's a good manga.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

oh, the second chapter has a decent translation. it's a good manga.

Indeed.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I dunno if it was this thread or another that recommended it, but Kaiko sareta Ankoku Heishi (30-dai) no Slow na Second Life(not sure what a good short title would be, none is provided), while not isekai as far as I've read, is a neat fantasy series and also pretty dang funny.

Marika being freakishly physically strong and this only being apparent to Dariel and nobody else is a gag I have yet to tire of.

you know, just casually punching a tree in half and cutting the lumber by karate-chopping it. normal stuff.

the setting is pretty interesting, in the typical humans vs demons war thing, there's no physical distinguishable features between the two races, just that demons can use magic, and humans can't, supposedly. Might be a deeper meaning to that divide, but not as far as I've read.

dariel is incapable of being cool for more than a page without it backfiring somehow, it's great.

edit: also, new I'm a Spider, So What?. rip.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 14, 2020

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I can't believe Kumoko is dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I remember a isekai where the dude is like a tamer and mage and tames a poo poo load of slimes and they become a dry cleaner/clean the sewage system. Also the tamer guild considers slimes garbage any idea?