Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

https://i.imgur.com/W7VnCPO.mp4

This poo poo had me in stitches. Such a good joke so casually thrown in there. These writers have seriously proven themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

kjetting posted:

I was just thinking, is the Macaroni an original creation for this show? And if so, is that the first original character to first appear on this show? Also, is it the first iteration of Alfred to have a vigilante persona????

I mean, it's not the first one at least. For example, the electro dude whose bloodline was ended. Or the drug dealer who drove Ivy's plant around. Is that plant guy original?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

cant cook creole bream posted:

I mean, it's not the first one at least. For example, the electro dude whose bloodline was ended. Or the drug dealer who drove Ivy's plant around. Is that plant guy original?

Ivy's had giant pitcher plants that eat people and display a level of predatory sentience and sensitivity to injury, but they've never spoken before. One of them in the original Conroy animated series screamed when Ivy accidentally shot it, I guess.

Honestly, it'd be funnier if Frank existed in a state not unlike Stewie in Family Guy, where early on people wondered if only Brian could hear him talk, but they clearly wanted to go the path of "Audrey III."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 4, 2020

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

cant cook creole bream posted:

I mean, it's not the first one at least. For example, the electro dude whose bloodline was ended.

He's actually from the comics. https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Jason_Praxis_(New_Earth)

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

DaveKap posted:

This poo poo had me in stitches. Such a good joke so casually thrown in there. These writers have seriously proven themselves.

Its such a good tempo, they throw a lot of subtle and overt references and funny lines but they don't stop or dwell too much, lotta shows seem to feel they need to pause for applause so the thickos know what they said is funny, it is really refereshing

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I kinda loved Alfred's dry as gently caress response to the scones line.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I had no idea Alan Tudek was also Clayface. He really is a fantastic voice actor.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
It's so they can have him in every episode, I figure.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Interesting, they kept Killer Croc 100% the way he was in Batman:TAS.

Also, Justice League Dark: Apokolips War is *really* good. 90 someodd minutes of pretty solid soft-R DC Animation.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 5, 2020

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Lechtansi posted:

I don't know when they made these episodes but I really hope that Harleys origin is based on the Harleen comics. She actually has a complete character arc and falling in love with the joker makes sense - unlike batman:TAS where its "oh, joker gave her a flower and now shes in love and willing to throw her entire life away" or or the DC rebirth "she pretended to be an inmate at arkham and ??? happens and now shes crazy and in love with Joker."
The art in Harleen is absolutely fantastic, but the story is mediocre at best. It makes enough sense to provide an excuse for the drawings and that's all. It's not well-written by any stretch.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Tiggum posted:

The art in Harleen is absolutely fantastic, but the story is mediocre at best. It makes enough sense to provide an excuse for the drawings and that's all. It's not well-written by any stretch.

I mean, its not a Pulitzer winning novel or anything but its easily better written than all the other harley quinn books. plus it does a great job of giving harley agency in her own story and is a fairly believable descent into madness (my gf is a therapist and won't read it because it hits too close to home).

Plus it turns the romantic tropes of "hes the man of my dreams" and "it all started with a smile" into amazing horror moments which is really cool.

Edit: That being said, i'm not much of a fan of most comics and i prefer the psychological horror/introspective aspect of Harleen compared to the "wacky hijinks of the week" aspect of the other Harley comics.

Lechtansi fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 5, 2020

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
the joker must still be alive in this season because I think I died from laughing

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Batman hitting that dislike button brought me such joy.

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist
I love Bane in this. He's the perfect vehicle to deliver dunks on Nolan-verse at every opportunity. He also embodies the constant Dunning-Kruger thing all the Gotham villains have going on. He, of all of them, has come closest to killing Batman and beats Bruce like it's no thing, but the rest of his peers constantly poo poo on his ability and intelligence, for basically no reason than they're assholes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

And I want to see that subplot followed through so bad:

"I guess I'll take Tabitha from the hammerhead tribe, since we're betrothed and all...." I am extremely interested in the love life of King shark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fteKnZl-9vc

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

CarpenterWalrus posted:

for basically no reason than they're assholes.
To be fair, that is basically the superpower of the majority of Gotham's major villains.
Penguin: has a limp, has a disguised gun that everyone knows about, and is a rich rear end in a top hat.
Riddler: literally leaves *extra* clues to the crimes he commits, because he's an rear end in a top hat. The not-Riddler would be a more successful villain in reality.
Two-face: ugly and sometimes makes decisions at random because he's an rear end in a top hat. Also has a regular gun.
Catwoman: I guess she's kinda dexterous. But mostly just a greedy rear end in a top hat. With a whip, wow.
Joker: 100% just an rear end in a top hat with face-paint.

Bane and Clayface get no respect with their superpowers - maybe the assholes are jealous?

(And then there's Poison Ivy, who is pretty close to being Swamp Thing level of god tier powerful.)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Bane has more of a superhuman tolerance for drugs than actual powers.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Bane has more of a superhuman tolerance for drugs than actual powers.

Eh, chemically-induced superpowers are still superpowers. Just ask Spider-Man or Captain America.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 7, 2020

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Fair enough.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Darth Walrus posted:

Eh, chemically-induced superpowers are still superpowers. Just ask Spider-Man or Captain America.

Listen bud; he's got radioactive spider blood.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

roomforthetuna posted:

To be fair, that is basically the superpower of the majority of Gotham's major villains.
Penguin: has a limp, has a disguised gun that everyone knows about, and is a rich rear end in a top hat.
Riddler: literally leaves *extra* clues to the crimes he commits, because he's an rear end in a top hat. The not-Riddler would be a more successful villain in reality.
Two-face: ugly and sometimes makes decisions at random because he's an rear end in a top hat. Also has a regular gun.
Catwoman: I guess she's kinda dexterous. But mostly just a greedy rear end in a top hat. With a whip, wow.
Joker: 100% just an rear end in a top hat with face-paint.

Bane and Clayface get no respect with their superpowers - maybe the assholes are jealous?

(And then there's Poison Ivy, who is pretty close to being Swamp Thing level of god tier powerful.)

Yeah, Poison Ivy's the closest thing Batman has to an *actual* superpowered nemesis other than Man-Bat. She's been able to mind control Superman, but the POWER OF FRIENDSHIP (and lots of kryptonite) tends to undo it. Catwoman's a legit metahuman, though.

Also, you forgot:
Ras Al-Ghul: really old, really rich, has a killer sauna routine

Oh hey, that makes me think - since Damian exists on this show, hopefully we get to see the piss taken out of Ras and Talia at some point, because those are two characters that REAAAAALLY need the piss taken out of them.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 7, 2020

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, Poison Ivy's the closest thing Batman has to an *actual* superpowered nemesis other than Man-Bat. She's been able to mind control Superman, but the POWER OF FRIENDSHIP (and lots of kryptonite) tends to undo it. Catwoman's a legit metahuman, though.

Also, you forgot:
Ras Al-Ghul: really old, really rich, has a killer sauna routine

Oh hey, that makes me think - since Damian exists on this show, hopefully we get to see the piss taken out of Ras and Talia at some point, because those are two characters that REAAAAALLY need the piss taken out of them.

Catwoman's just a lady who's really good at stealing just like Batman is a guy who's really good at punching and scaring people and being a detective.

Edit: The next time Damian shows up should be with Talia and Ra's and they're just doting on them while also doing supervillain stuff because he's their pwecious widdle boy

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Xelkelvos posted:

Catwoman's just a lady who's really good at stealing just like Batman is a guy who's really good at punching and scaring people and being a detective.

I think you forge his most important superpower. $$$

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
It's funny, now that you mention it, Batman and Batman's villans are probably the least super-powered in the DCEU, and maybe even marvel.

Yes you have stuff like Mr. Freeze's freeze gun, scarecrow's fear gas, and the lazerus pit but outside of Poison Ivy and Killer Croc you don't have any of the typical super powers. Its just a bunch of mobsters trying to take control of the gotham underworld.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

Edit: The next time Damian shows up should be with Talia and Ra's and they're just doting on them while also doing supervillain stuff because he's their pwecious widdle boy

Or, Ras gave up the "saving the planet" thing and is now the CEO of Lazarus Energy Drink Incorporated.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Lechtansi posted:

It's funny, now that you mention it, Batman and Batman's villans are probably the least super-powered in the DCEU, and maybe even marvel.

Yes you have stuff like Mr. Freeze's freeze gun, scarecrow's fear gas, and the lazerus pit but outside of Poison Ivy and Killer Croc you don't have any of the typical super powers. Its just a bunch of mobsters trying to take control of the gotham underworld.

You know how most superheroes are most powerful and cool in their own books, but then have to get toned down for teamups and crossovers where someone else has to shine? By contrast Batman is a godlike legend in Justice League books and then goes home to get in life and death struggles against mobsters and escaped mental patients.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Well if Sharktales as taught us anything it's that Sharks are super gay.

CarpenterWalrus posted:

I love Bane in this. He's the perfect vehicle to deliver dunks on Nolan-verse at every opportunity. He also embodies the constant Dunning-Kruger thing all the Gotham villains have going on. He, of all of them, has come closest to killing Batman and beats Bruce like it's no thing, but the rest of his peers constantly poo poo on his ability and intelligence, for basically no reason than they're assholes.

Right from the beginning Bane suggested talking to or possibly even teaming up with Harley rather than screwing her over ("perhaps we should have invited her to this meeting?"), if those other jerks had listened to him they would still be alive right now.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Killer robot posted:

You know how most superheroes are most powerful and cool in their own books, but then have to get toned down for teamups and crossovers where someone else has to shine? By contrast Batman is a godlike legend in Justice League books and then goes home to get in life and death struggles against mobsters and escaped mental patients.

Batman's villains have grown accustomed to his bullshit by now, meanwhile Darkseid is like "what does prep time have to do with anything"

that's not even getting into like, Amazo, or any other villain whose only weakness is a normal guy with a mean right hook

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
"oh, drat, how did they know putting fins on a car was the secret to disabling my poo poo In Superman's Mouth attack"

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Hol up, this robin is Bruce’s son? Batman fucks?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Warbird posted:

At least once! Talia al'Ghul is the mom.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Warbird posted:

Batman has always hosed, but in this case, Talia decided to do a little extra and made a test tube bat baby for the League of Assassins. Damian ends up growing up raised by his mother and the League for ~10 years before he's introduced to his biological father and ends up joining him.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love Damien, he's such a piece of poo poo.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Warbird posted:

Catwoman confirmed that Bruce is hairless below the ears, so yes, i would say, yes

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

DaveKap posted:

https://i.imgur.com/W7VnCPO.mp4

I just noticed that the shadow isn't even Bane's shadow. I had assumed Two-Face had at least done that for Bane, but you can tell from the eyebrow that the shadow clearly belongs to Two-Face.

yeah, Two-Face is absolutely next to die.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I love Damien, he's such a piece of poo poo.

Over the years he's gotten somewhat endearing (under good writers) where despite acting like he's the best Robin and clearly the one who should be the next Batman (though he'll admit that Tim is smarter and Dick is a better leader), he's a big softie for taking in animals and how they reintroduced Ace into the comics canon and why there's a cow in the batcave. He also adopted a giant flying beast when he had his own series. His best friend, however, is Superboy (Jon Kent) and was extremely torn up when he went to the future to join the Legion of Superheroes (Jon, then decided that he needed to show his best friend how awesome the future is and brought Damien there for an issue).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Warbird posted:

Well, technically all of the Robins are Bruce's children, but Damian is his biological child. That said, the process of Damian's conception was... well, let's just say there's a reason that Talia has basically all but disappeared as a love interest for Bruce.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Well, technically all of the Robins are Bruce's children, but Damian is his biological child. That said, the process of Damian's conception was... well, let's just say there's a reason that Talia has basically all but disappeared as a love interest for Bruce.

Batman was #MeToo-ed.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
banes gotta survive this season. hes too rich a vein...

hes my main vein bane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Xelkelvos posted:

(Jon Kent)

Oh now you're messing with me. Supes fucks too? I assumed it was a Ken doll situation.