Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I mean, addressing internal IP space on public ranges isn't terrible, just as long as you never ever have to communicate with the ranges you've addressed, because they will all resolve to the internal network.

That and all the security tools in the world will constantly say you're getting DDOSd by Egypt.

No reason to start a war over that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Guy Axlerod posted:

I think one of our office networks is still using the netblock assigned to Iran or North Korea. I'm sure one of our former employees did it for the lulz at some point.

brb I gotta go re-address our vpn

E: man what in the actual gently caress is with people going out of their way to try and "come in" to work to have IT problems resolved.
You're not loving allowed in the building you shithead. Stay the gently caress home and deal with me talking you through these 6 steps.
Are you really such a lazy sack of poo poo that you'd rather drive into work to make someone else install a smartphone app for you?
What the gently caress makes you think I want to touch your disgusting phone?

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 22, 2020

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Mustache Ride posted:

I mean, addressing internal IP space on public ranges isn't terrible, just as long as you never ever have to communicate with the ranges you've addressed, because they will all resolve to the internal network.

That and all the security tools in the world will constantly say you're getting DDOSd by Egypt.
Now you spot the problem I was asked to resolve :v:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Are you really such a lazy sack of poo poo that you'd rather drive into work to make someone else install a smartphone app for you?
All the driving counts as work time. Of course they'd rather drive into work.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mustache Ride posted:

Let me tell you the story of a very very very large Korean electronics manufacturer who's internal IP space to this day sits on ranges owned by Egypt.

Actually I'm not going to tell you it's too depressing.

I know a division of a bank using a range from a Japanese university inside their network

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Arquinsiel posted:

Now you spot the problem I was asked to resolve :v:

This dude has sat around doing nothing for 4 years.
I'm pretty sure he's just fine getting paid to sit at home and do nothing as he is to sit in the car and drive here to do nothing so I don't see the point.

They just put in a ticket for him to have access to the ERP system so he can enter his timesheet.
My response was ":stare: what the gently caress has he been doing for the last 4 years? not getting paid?"
"No, his supervisor has just been doing it for him, and didn't know that he didn't have permissions to do it himself." :psyduck:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's loving awesome.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Imagine sitting at home for four years just getting direct deposited every 2 weeks

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Arquinsiel posted:

Also, it's probably more stupidity than laziness. Way too many people are completely baffled by technology of any sort, to the point of fear. I'm surprised that most of them can operate a car successfully without dying instantly. I mean, you have to move hand, feet, and head simultaneously! I thought they'd probably forget to breathe.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This dude has sat around doing nothing for 4 years.
I'm pretty sure he's just fine getting paid to sit at home and do nothing as he is to sit in the car and drive here to do nothing so I don't see the point.

They just put in a ticket for him to have access to the ERP system so he can enter his timesheet.
My response was ":stare: what the gently caress has he been doing for the last 4 years? not getting paid?"
"No, his supervisor has just been doing it for him, and didn't know that he didn't have permissions to do it himself." :psyduck:

That guy actually seems to have figured it out, somehow.
Interesting how WFH is highlighting the people who have been skating through.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

klosterdev posted:

Imagine sitting at home for four years just getting direct deposited every 2 weeks

Even better than Milton! No one to steal his stapler.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

klosterdev posted:

If you stay in shape and use the right apps, you can get a direct deposit every night if you're lucky!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
TBH who are we to call this person stupid?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

If you stay in shape and use the right apps, you can get a direct deposit every night if you're lucky!

LEWD
E
W
D

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Mustache Ride posted:

No reason to start a war over that.

For a while I heard about a few companies cutting people off if they had accessed their product from a Iran IP. I was worried that the local IPs would show up in some log and we would get banned from Slack or Adobe or whatever.

If that ever happens, I'll be sure to post here, because it won't be my problem to fix.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Arquinsiel posted:

TBH who are we to call this person stupid?

Seriously, has his loving boss filling out his timesheet for him? This guy is making me feel stupid. I have to loving work for a living.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's like the guy who outsourced his job to India and didn't tell anyone.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I have to author a joyous email tomorrow to my former dotted line boss.

For context, if you hadn't guessed, I dont like her. She was the kind of boss that did no work, apart from demanding I do whatever she needed or whatever her deputy thought I ought to be doing... with no consideration to what my priorities might be at the time (she is an FM boss, my "proper" IT boss is regional)

She was also the kind of boss that would habitually gossip - for example, one of the PAs found out about one of my staffs ailments because boss-lady just has no concept of medical in confidence and tells everyone every reason that anyone goes off sick, whilst passive aggressively criticising your dedication to the department etc etc.

Anyway, we needed to mobilise a contract so she became the regional boss of FM, so thankfully, I dont see her any more- but, I'm still her go to IT guy.

I receive an email from her saying when can I get my laptop upgrade? To which, I considered this request and given the dangers of travel currently I probably ought to work to rule.

And the rules are: we are mid way through a windows 10 rollout- weve done all our desktop (80% of users) and we ordered all the laptops just as the world went into lockdown.
That meant all company laptop orders were withheld so they could be allocated on a prioritised basis.

We got a certain amount per site to enable home workers - so they were not to go to w7 laptop dudes for upgrades as those people can already WFH. C-levels to agree with us who needs to WFH until this whole thing passes so the limited stock can be allocated appropriately.

So tomorrow, I am going to say technically, the project is on hold because the risk of getting you regional dudes to travel is too great so no laptop for you...

I am sure her response will be along the lines of "erm I'm Important and i know you can sort this out" (because I saw someone on the aforementioned mobilisation post on Facebook that they are getting their upgrade)

However that upgrade is not via me so I'm still going to say no stock sorry!

Thinking about medical in confidence, this user and facebook... she emailed into our site to snitch on people who are talking on Facebook about other peoples positive covid tests... they are posting the text message screenshots themselves so it's really a minor issue... this is clearly someone who has no work to do.

I'm probably being petty. I have stock, I could give her a w10 laptop and use her w7 device as stock to give to someone to work from home. This would also get me ahead in my project as she is going to need one at some point anyway... it will also ensure when the project is finished and we disable all the w7 devices, these temporary WFH people dont try and cling on to laptops...but do I care? Not one bit, this is karma as far as I'm concerned.

It's the little things.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Darchangel posted:

Also, it's probably more stupidity than laziness. Way too many people are completely baffled by technology of any sort, to the point of fear. I'm surprised that most of them can operate a car successfully without dying instantly. I mean, you have to move hand, feet, and head simultaneously! I thought they'd probably forget to breathe.

That guy actually seems to have figured it out, somehow.
Interesting how WFH is highlighting the people who have been skating through.

I think managers are actually being forced to downsize due to coronavirus as well as do some actual managing for once.
I got a proper offboarding ticket from HR recently. The first one in 4 years. :smith:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

mllaneza posted:

When I ran IT for a small business I got to redo their internal network just for this reason.

I did too, more than once as the owner just kept slapping poo poo on the network and randomly assigning it IP addresses because he didn't trust DHCP.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I did too, more than once as the owner just kept slapping poo poo on the network and randomly assigning it IP addresses because he didn't trust DHCP.

Can you somehow make switches isolate a port from the rest of the network until it's using an address handed to it by DHCP.

Deadmeat
Jul 18, 2006

nielsm posted:

Can you somehow make switches isolate a port from the rest of the network until it's using an address handed to it by DHCP.

Yes. The feature is generally called "IP Source Guard".

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

nielsm posted:

Cisco has a feature called IP Source Guard that looks at the DHCP Snooping binding table and drops non-dhcp packets if it's not there.

e:fb

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Some of the workers will have their supervisor do their time for them because they'll punch in when they come in the gate, but when it's time to leave there's hundreds of people waiting for the horn to blow and they want to leave so most of them don't even bother to punch out.

Instead of punishing the people who do this, they just push it back on their team lead to fix it for them because "I'm computer illiterate :downs:"

Like, just tap your badge and it works drat.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I think managers are actually being forced to downsize due to coronavirus as well as do some actual managing for once.
I got a proper offboarding ticket from HR recently. The first one in 4 years. :smith:
I think they're starting to realise just how little of their work they actually do when they can't wander around looking busy and "overseeing" subordinates.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

I think they're starting to realise just how little of their work they actually do when they can't wander around looking busy and "overseeing" subordinates.

That's why my boss hates wfh. He can't spend all day shooting the poo poo with people looking busy.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Arquinsiel posted:

I think it's more they haven't figured out how to hide in "meetings" all day long since they actually have to have a skype call open with other people to make that happen.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Arquinsiel posted:

Due to some testing we are doing on remote work solutions we have been running a lot of reports on usage to define who within the business needs to be move to which solution. We have found TONS of folks who simply aren't working by any analytics measure we can define. We are talking about people who aren't checking their email, using vpn, or otherwise touching any systems in any way.

To put things in perspective, we have a "Lead Developer" who hasn't checked his email since 3/9 of this year. The list goes on and on. I am by no means a hard rear end worrying about how much work people do in a given day, but some of this stuff is just bold as gently caress. Worse is the leaders who aren't checking in with their reports. You should know if someone on your team hasn't worked in 45 days.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I feel less bad about my 2 hour workday now, thanks.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Due to some testing we are doing on remote work solutions we have been running a lot of reports on usage to define who within the business needs to be move to which solution. We have found TONS of folks who simply aren't working by any analytics measure we can define. We are talking about people who aren't checking their email, using vpn, or otherwise touching any systems in any way.

To put things in perspective, we have a "Lead Developer" who hasn't checked his email since 3/9 of this year. The list goes on and on. I am by no means a hard rear end worrying about how much work people do in a given day, but some of this stuff is just bold as gently caress. Worse is the leaders who aren't checking in with their reports. You should know if someone on your team hasn't worked in 45 days.
Are you hiring? I've never done it before, but I'm pretty sure I can go without checking my email or logging into VPN for weeks at a time. Like, I feel like I could pick that up really fast.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thanatosian posted:

Are you hiring? I've never done it before, but I'm pretty sure I can go without checking my email or logging into VPN for weeks at a time. Like, I feel like I could pick that up really fast.

poo poo, I bet I could do just about any position that pays, given those job reqs

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Sickening posted:

We are talking about people who aren't checking their email, using vpn, or otherwise touching any systems in any way.

Do I have a job with you I don't know about? I thought I'd better ask as in case I've been hired unknowingly

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I think it's more they haven't figured out how to hide in "meetings" all day long since they actually have to have a skype call open with other people to make that happen.
Nah, you can just put the meeting in your calander and it'll mark you as busy anyway.

Sickening posted:

I mean I know if I have a pentest report due in two weeks I'll kick off scans on Monday, gently caress around until Thursday, quickly do some actual hacking until halfway through Friday and then do nothing at all until the next Thursday when I slap together the report and kick it up for review all without anyone noticing but that's some next level poo poo right there.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

klosterdev posted:

Make it six

:D

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Arquinsiel posted:

Nah, you can just put the meeting in your calander and it'll mark you as busy anyway.

That's like 100% more effort than just saying "I'm in a meeting" anytime someone walks into your office.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Arquinsiel posted:

I mean I know if I have a pentest report due in two weeks I'll kick off scans on Monday, gently caress around until Thursday, quickly do some actual hacking until halfway through Friday and then do nothing at all until the next Thursday when I slap together the report and kick it up for review all without anyone noticing but that's some next level poo poo right there.

Well someone in your shoes isn't going to show up on the radar as easy because you probably have email on your phone at the very least. Things like azure ad are going to report that you are active at the very least.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, my boss is either gaslighting me or is a serial goalpost-mover. Been mostly posting in the corporate thread but in what universe does "last month" mean "Q1 2020" and "can you find out how much these VMs are being used" mean "delete these VMs"?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I remoted into the company controller's computer this morning and saw a chat about the issue I was helping to address, in fact what started it all:

Asst. Controller: Just curious, what's with that Aetna payment?
Controller: What payment?
Asst. Controller: You told (accountant) to pay $259k this morning
Controller: That was NOT me!

We got the money back

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I'm having one of those weeks where I complete a ticket just in time to get a new ticket.

And it's the same two kinds of ticket all day.

I am loving sick of making new user accounts and granting people access to shared inboxes.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

dragonshardz posted:

I'm having one of those weeks where I complete a ticket just in time to get a new ticket.

And it's the same two kinds of ticket all day.

I am loving sick of making new user accounts and granting people access to shared inboxes.

Can we interest you in some scripting advice ? If that's in AD you want a copy of "PowerShell in a Month of Lunches", like, yesterday.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

mllaneza posted:

Can we interest you in some scripting advice ? If that's in AD you want a copy of "PowerShell in a Month of Lunches", like, yesterday.

It is in AD and I do know about PSiaMoL. :)

Just need to find/make the time to learn PowerShell, then build a script to cover all our special little poo poo, then test it on my own time and hardware since I don't have access to a test AD environment at work because I'm a lowly student assistant on the helpdesk.

All while still doing the work I get assigned.

So there's a few hurdles to clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

dragonshardz posted:

It is in AD and I do know about PSiaMoL. :)

Just need to find/make the time to learn PowerShell, then build a script to cover all our special little poo poo, then test it on my own time and hardware since I don't have access to a test AD environment at work because I'm a lowly student assistant on the helpdesk.

All while still doing the work I get assigned.

So there's a few hurdles to clear.

Don't write or test it on your own time. Do it during work time because you're making a work problem better.