Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

JEEVES420 posted:

what do you mean no overlap? They are suppose to overlap and rest behind each other :confused:

I meant overlap as in blades aligned together, rather than staggered. In short, they were cleaned and installed properly.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I have an 8" Freud dago stack and I love it and it cuts great :confused: I think they're actually Diablo brand from home depot, but they're made by freud in italy. I wouldn't expect any dado set to make a perfectly smooth bottom as it is almost never visible.

Bottom line is the Oshluns did a cleaner job and are half the cost. Who knows, maybe I got a bad sample?
(lol, dago stack)

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Granite Octopus posted:

How do you guys deal with lack of motivation? I know this has come up in the past, but thought it might be worth bringing up again given current events.

I thought being stuck at home would be great because I'd have heaps of time to do woodworking projects, but with the onset of winter here and the pandemic I've lost all motivation to do anything. The shed's been a total mess for the last couple of weeks... Anyone else in the same boat?

My motivation is partly fueled by my wife being furloughed and not wanting to go bonkers existing 24/7 in close proximity.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Granite Octopus posted:

How do you guys deal with lack of motivation? I know this has come up in the past, but thought it might be worth bringing up again given current events.

I thought being stuck at home would be great because I'd have heaps of time to do woodworking projects, but with the onset of winter here and the pandemic I've lost all motivation to do anything. The shed's been a total mess for the last couple of weeks... Anyone else in the same boat?

Clean the shed

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

shovelbum posted:

Clean the shed

This is somehow great advice. Sometimes you just need to get up and start doing something before the next thing gets easier to do.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Granite Octopus posted:

My wife and I are both working full time from home with two small children. My motivation is to keep my sanity by accomplishing something other than my day job (which is, of course, highly compromised) and sweeping up after a billion snack times a day.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Granite Octopus posted:

Oh, it's winter where you live? Yeah, you're not gonna be getting motivation. Just wait till the spring.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

My standard 'I feel ugh about everything and I don't want to actually work in the shop but I really crave working in the shop' thing is to clean up and identify a thing about a tool/organization/process/whatever that I find annoying and fix it. Build a cabinet, fix the crosscut sled, new base for the plunge router, reorganize a thing or shuffle stuff around, etc.

Usually, if the shop is a disaster there's a pretty easy to identify thing that was part of the reason it got so bad, too.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Granite Octopus posted:

Is woodworking your hobby? if you aren't motivated\having fun with your hobby, don't do it. That's work.

Do something else, circle back when you feel like it.

Ezhash
Jul 26, 2016

bobua posted:

Is woodworking your hobby? if you aren't motivated\having fun with your hobby, don't do it. That's work.

I second this, I would also clean up your shed if you're really bored. I found myself in a similar situation and picked away at cleaning a bit each day while doing other things and now my shop is more organized and I generally enjoy being in there more. Started up a few projects this week and i'm actually looking forward to working on them.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I had a project that had been started before the lockdown (bandsaw restoration)
But completing that required me to do some cleanup and organization
And then once I had my tools in place, I wanted to use some scraps to organize a couple other things
And then I built some shelves
And then I had to clean up again and had all these scraps and yknow there's still some room on the wall where power tools could go

And it's just kind of been a big cycle of organize tools-> build a project -> organize tools -> build a project

I've been breaking quarantine for home depot trips far too often.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

bobua posted:

This is my method. I know this is the luxury of having a dedicated shop, but I've put a project down only to come back months later and pick up right where I left off.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Usually when I stop being motivated it's because I made a mistake and am avoiding trying to fix it (or worse, start over). Sometimes I'll let it sit for weeks before I get back to a project where I put a bunch of work into it and then ugh god I've glued up and it's not aligned and ughhh.

One way to deal is to just clean up or something, another is to force yourself to just accept that not every project is going to come out perfect and it's a learning experience, and a third is to just not do anything in the woodshop for a month or two. Those are all fine really.

Usually after a while of just thinking about it, I eventually come up with a way to adapt or modify or fix whatever I hosed up and then I do that, though. That's just how I work. Gotta sleep on a problem for a day or a month and eventually I'll have a plan.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 4, 2020

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Ezhash posted:

I second this, I would also clean up your shed if you're really bored. I found myself in a similar situation and picked away at cleaning a bit each day while doing other things and now my shop is more organized and I generally enjoy being in there more. Started up a few projects this week and i'm actually looking forward to working on them.
IF you're anything like me you'll think about it, or look at it and it'll seem too overwhelming and give up before you begin. When I try to do 'something' and end up not doing it the giving up reinforces the sense of failure that saps motivation.

Set a time limit of 30 minutes and see how much of the shed you can clean up in that. Just 30 minutes, no more, you can handle that. And plan a reward for when you're done - Cookie, cup of coffee, whatever.

When you're done you'll be able to see a difference no matter how small and then you can take another 30 minutes and do another bit.
A short focused task tricks your brain into thinking 'all i aimed to acheive was 30m worth and I've done that'. And the bonus is you'll probably get more done than you expected to so that helps shut up the nagging voice as well.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Rapulum_Dei posted:

IF you're anything like me you'll think about it, or look at it and it'll seem too overwhelming and give up before you begin. When I try to do 'something' and end up not doing it the giving up reinforces the sense of failure that saps motivation.

Set a time limit of 30 minutes and see how much of the shed you can clean up in that. Just 30 minutes, no more, you can handle that. And plan a reward for when you're done - Cookie, cup of coffee, whatever.

When you're done you'll be able to see a difference no matter how small and then you can take another 30 minutes and do another bit.
A short focused task tricks your brain into thinking 'all i aimed to acheive was 30m worth and I've done that'. And the bonus is you'll probably get more done than you expected to so that helps shut up the nagging voice as well.

I do this (30m trick) or some other untimed small goal like "clear off that one bench top and put away the tools on it".

By the time either is done your reluctance to clean the entire shop is usually gone.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That Works posted:

small goal like "clear off that one bench top and put away the tools on it"

I'll take a picture of my bench when I get out there, it's awful. We can have a group goon tidy.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'll take a picture of my bench when I get out there, it's awful. We can have a group goon tidy.

Hah I understand. Maybe pick something even smaller!

My shop is bad bad right now. Currently it's just trashed and covered with sawdust. My garage is littered with tools from the shop because I was building a chicken coop out there and in the yard / storing tools and materials in the garage overnight / during the rain.

So, right now I am just emptying the garage and dumping everything into the shop onto the assembly table. Once the garage is cleaned and swept then I'll have to slowly start tackling putting everything away and cleaning the shop out again. Then to figure out the next project.

Bonus coop photos.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I usually get my motivation up by waching youtube videos.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That Works posted:

Hah I understand. Maybe pick something even smaller!

My shop is bad bad right now. Currently it's just trashed and covered with sawdust. My garage is littered with tools from the shop because I was building a chicken coop out there and in the yard / storing tools and materials in the garage overnight / during the rain.

So, right now I am just emptying the garage and dumping everything into the shop onto the assembly table. Once the garage is cleaned and swept then I'll have to slowly start tackling putting everything away and cleaning the shop out again. Then to figure out the next project.

Bonus coop photos.

Awesome coop! I love the color.

Having a certain thing or project/goal I'm excited about and want to learn about really helps me get motivated. I'd been feeling like I was sort of floundering around in the doldrums the past few months, but then I decided I wanted to build a chair and that's gotten me all fired up about late 18th C chairs from eastern VA/NC (I might be, uh, a little special :stonklol:) which in turn has gotten me back to working on building a horizontal router/mortiser etc etc. Meow Meow Meow's jewelry box made me get out a veneering book I never actually read, and now I'm trying to cook up a project to do some veneer work.

I don't know if cleaning up really motivates me, but I'm always really happy after I do it and it removes some negative enteria. Instead of having to do something unfun before you can do something fun, you can walk in and do something fun.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
That's a great looking coop.

I find when I'm not feeling it I try and force myself to do one thing, just go down to the shop and put a single chisel away, grab a handful of shavings and put it in the trash, etc. If I'm truly not feeling it then I walk away, but usually once I get in my shop and have done a single thing I want to keep going.

I'm stepping back from the highly detailed work and my next project will be a sandbox for my two kids. Probably not worth veneering in walnut burl or anything like that haha

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

All fantastic advice, thanks. I spent a bit of time in the shed cleaning up and feel a lot better. Will tackle a bit more tomorrow. :) next big job will be trying to fix my planer knives ive somehow melted

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I've had no time or energy to practice actual fine woodworking - I had planned to have a basic jewelry box with inlay top for my wife by the end of May but that is not happening. But I do try to find something productive. I had a pile of clothes to mend but my sewing stuff is a mess, so I banged together a shoddy plywood cabinet in the basement to organize my sewing equipment. It's not pretty but it a) got some stuff better organized, b) let me do some minor other work and c) was at least SOME accomplishment and that's enough to keep myself sane.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Stultus Maximus posted:

I've had no time or energy to practice actual fine woodworking - I had planned to have a basic jewelry box with inlay top for my wife by the end of May but that is not happening. But I do try to find something productive. I had a pile of clothes to mend but my sewing stuff is a mess, so I banged together a shoddy plywood cabinet in the basement to organize my sewing equipment. It's not pretty but it a) got some stuff better organized, b) let me do some minor other work and c) was at least SOME accomplishment and that's enough to keep myself sane.

I do not think I will ever even attempt fine woodworking. Much like I will not at this point of my life attempt to learn piano or violin.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hasselblad posted:

I do not think I will ever even attempt fine woodworking. Much like I will not at this point of my life attempt to learn piano or violin.

My attempts over the last 5-6 years have always been preempted by carpentry and other priorities. Start trying to make dovetails, suddenly need to rebuild a deck. Work on hand cutting mortise and tenons, oh look the "rustic" (read: made of 2x4) deck furniture needs repair or rebuilding. Get stuff for inlay, need to work on the crown molding or baseboards...
Similar to my attempts over that time frame to learn piano or violin. Two steps forward, six months until I have time to try again.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Stultus Maximus posted:

My attempts over the last 5-6 years have always been preempted by carpentry and other priorities. Start trying to make dovetails, suddenly need to rebuild a deck. Work on hand cutting mortise and tenons, oh look the "rustic" (read: made of 2x4) deck furniture needs repair or rebuilding. Get stuff for inlay, need to work on the crown molding or baseboards...
Similar to my attempts over that time frame to learn piano or violin. Two steps forward, six months until I have time to try again.

I have a dovetail jig that I finally took out of the box after years a couple months ago. Now it gathers dust outside of the box.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The (only) woodworking class I took, we learned dovetails by making a small shelf. Just start with a plank of some nice to work with wood (we used poplar), tell yourself you're making a lovely shelf to hang in the garage to hold random crap so it doesn't need to look nice, and then do three horizontals, two verticals, and a back. But make the joints using dovetails. You don't even need to finish or paint it, but if you decide afterward the dovetails are too ugly to be seen, you can just paint the whole thing with a nice thick coat of whatever.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hasselblad posted:

I have a dovetail jig that I finally took out of the box after years a couple months ago. Now it gathers dust outside of the box.

I got one in January. I successfully made a silverware organizer and then failed to stop tearout when I tried to make a simple storage box for my screwdrivers. And then I ran out of time to continue with it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Got my horizontal router/slot mortiser that's been 'in progress' for at least a year put together enough to try out today. It's sort of a mashup of Mathias Wandel's and Phil Morly's and it still needs a bunch of tweaking and stops etc, but I can already tell its going to make some normally very tricky stuff very easy. Capable enough by itself, but the ease of workholding vs. a table saw or vertical mortiser or basically anything is what I think is going to make it great. I made a 2 minute jig and then cut this compound tenon ( the angled tenon is 3 degrees off vertical). What is normally pretty tricky and involves 3 different tablesaw setups and 2 jigs and some hand work was done in 5 minutes.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Stultus Maximus posted:

My wife and I are both working full time from home with two small children. My motivation is to keep my sanity by accomplishing something other than my day job (which is, of course, highly compromised) and sweeping up after a billion snack times a day.

you're me, except my motivation is getting these goddamn kids to sleep so daddy can have a scotch in peace

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
This week I completed a project that had me using new techniques and building new tools for the purpose. These are my first mortises and tenons and I made a hag's tooth router plane to depth the tenons.

I started with construction pine I found in the alley behind work. I wanted a little coffee table for my apartment and took the opportunity afforded by WFH for the Covid shutdown to get moving on it, but when the time came for the top I just couldn't face the time and energy to plane it, so it sat for three weeks in pieces. I finally found the energy to do a burst of work and put it all together and painted it.

The milk paint is a match I found for the colour commonly used in Lower Canada for a century and a half for kitchen furniture, sort of a particular sage/chartreuse milk paint. Everybody whose family has deep roots in Quebec to whom I've shown it has recognized the colour from old family furniture.

The last picture is a chair from the 20s that was part of my grandmother's kitchen set and that my sister took a picture of before restoring. I used it to help find the right colour match.

My partner, when she saw the finished piece, said that it looked like it had always existed. I like that look for my very own piece of vernacular furniture!

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Post a picture of the plane, I love that stuff. The table looks real good too.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That's a great looking table, nice work and a classic-looking design.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Those leg tapers are really neat

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Thanks all. I don't know if I'd be able to recreate the leg tapers but I like all the facets a lot.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Probably was a little ambitious with my first project. This plan looked so easy, but I’m learning a lot along the way. I messed up a couple measurements, and one of the legs came out less than square. I think I corrected the issues ok though.

https://www.ana-white.com/woodworking-projects/ultimate-roll-away-workbench-miter-saw-stand

Space I started with:

Through the weekend:

I’m anxious about putting the tops on. I’m pretty sure I measured the miter saw deck correctly, but plywood is expensive so I am procrastinating this week after work.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

savesthedayrocks posted:

Probably was a little ambitious with my first project. This plan looked so easy, but I’m learning a lot along the way. I messed up a couple measurements, and one of the legs came out less than square. I think I corrected the issues ok though.

https://www.ana-white.com/woodworking-projects/ultimate-roll-away-workbench-miter-saw-stand

Space I started with:

Through the weekend:

I’m anxious about putting the tops on. I’m pretty sure I measured the miter saw deck correctly, but plywood is expensive so I am procrastinating this week after work.

As long as your width is good the height can be adjusted after the fact. Do you plan to put a backing behind the miter saw or blow dust all over the electrical outlet?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

savesthedayrocks posted:

Through the weekend:

You should probably put another stretcher in the back behind the miter saw, you've got a lot of leverage on those two stubby 2x4s in the front right now

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Has anyone here used FastCap's products? I'm thinking about trying out these SpeedBraces to build some shelving in my garage or shed, but I'm suspicious if they're worth the money or how much they will flex:

https://www.fastcap.com/product/speedbrace

Alternatively, I have been considering trying to build Matthiases cantilivered shelves, at least in my shed that has unfinished walls/exposed studs. Are the tapered cuts necessary? I'm not sure if I'm confident about cutting these as I dont' have a taper jig for my Dewalt saw or a work bench. I do have a miter saw, so cutting the miters on the support piece is doable.:

https://woodgears.ca/shelves/garage.html

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

JEEVES420 posted:

As long as your width is good the height can be adjusted after the fact. Do you plan to put a backing behind the miter saw or blow dust all over the electrical outlet?

Hadn’t thought about a backer. I do plan on having both outlets plugged in at all times.

Sockser posted:

You should probably put another stretcher in the back behind the miter saw, you've got a lot of leverage on those two stubby 2x4s in the front right now

So just span a 2x4 between the two on the back? Would I come in from “under” the bench with the screws (parallel to the ground)? I don’t have a pocket hole jig.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

savesthedayrocks posted:

Hadn’t thought about a backer. I do plan on having both outlets plugged in at all times.

Even with stuff plugged in you'll eventually get a ton of dust back behind the faceplate in the electrical box where the wires connect to the outlet. Not an ideal situation. One time I found a 240v box for an electric dryer that was full of accumulated laundry lint. Good times. That house had so many weird things in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

savesthedayrocks posted:

So just span a 2x4 between the two on the back? Would I come in from “under” the bench with the screws (parallel to the ground)? I don’t have a pocket hole jig.

Parallel to the ground, yeah
Doesn’t matter vertically where it sits, really— just drive some deck screws in from either side

Like, it’ll probably be fine on it’s own right now, it’s not going to fall apart, but I suspect should you ever have to move that bench when it has weight on it, it’s going to just tear apart

E: oh wow I didn’t realize you only had two screws on each of the stretchers under the miter saw— you’ll definitely want to add a couple more pieces in there