Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

Restarted after the new inventory system hosed my save :( Should have listened to Goons!

Whats a good melee weapon until I can go the CBM route? Copper Spear is great but needs loving planks to repair which I don't have and haven't come across.

For planks just bust down a fence or a door or a book case or something. Hell the zombies will probably do it for you along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

You can get planks from smashing or deconstructing pretty much any wood furniture. Probably even from doors and fences

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lmao poo poo I didn't even consider that. Ok, will do.

I was just wandering around looking for ready -to-go plank stacks like at Lowes or something

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Said it before but: The sledgehammer is the best tool in the game.

For your original question you can try and raid mansions for the armour stands. They can have steel broadswords, claymores, and the like which are all very strong - also craftable if you acquire the books and skill.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 5, 2020

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I prefer quarterstaves.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

You can also cut trees down and turn the trunk into logs then planks if you find something with wood chopping/ wood sawing.

Between that and deconstruction you'll have continous sources of planks, which is great because not only are they useful parts and burnable/good charcoal fodder but you can use them to get lye powder and methanol which are useful chemical reagents

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Having rescued a bunch of people imprisoned by Mi-Gos, is there any easier way to give NPCs clothing than piece by piece via the dialog menu? And I thought the military screen from Dwarf Fortress was bad.

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

I was just wandering around looking for ready -to-go plank stacks like at Lowes or something
Well there are lumber yards which are pretty much that.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Dandywalken posted:

Restarted after the new inventory system hosed my save :( Should have listened to Goons!

Whats a good melee weapon until I can go the CBM route? Copper Spear is great but needs loving planks to repair which I don't have and haven't come across.

Planks are pretty easy to find, just disassemble or smash wooden furniture. As for melee weapons, I’d like to know too as when my tusky friend inevitably bites the dust I’d like a weapon with better reach than a combat knife.

E: beaten like 5 times

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

It's been said many a time in this thread, but you can't go wrong with a cudgel early game, too. I always thought they were kinda 'eh' in terms of damage, but they're faster than bigger weapons, and stupidly easy to make with 0 fabrication. The really important thing about them, though, is they lay down a stun on zombies pretty regularly. If you can stun a zombie with a cudgel, you can pretty much proceed to beat it to death before it has a chance to recover.

Also been messing around with martial arts/unarmed combat in a lab start. I have no idea which martial art is best, but I've been using a mutant character with fangs, a couple of levels of unarmed combat, melee and dodging, and picking judo. It's pretty hilarious when you're biting things for about 20 damage, then flipping them over your shoulder and slamming them to the ground. Prone and stunned pretty much finishes off anything you're likely to meet in a lab that's not a shoggoth or a turret.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Cudgels get outdated pretty fast though, IMO. They've got rapid strike which is nice, but their damage overall is kinda low.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Oh yeah, I'm talking about starting game, though. If you don't start with or find something better right away, they'll do until you do.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh definitely they’re the first weapon I start out with and you can pretty much always make one on the fly as long as you have a stick and something to whittle it with. But IMO once you’ve got a few points in melee, bashing, and fabrication you should replace it with a quarterstaff ASAP.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
That’s a lot better than where it was last time I played when you didn’t replace the cudgel until you were looking at forging a custom sword for yourself or some crap.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Cudgels recently got made a more realistic size and weight so they now also have the advantage of being extremely easy to stow away

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cudgels are pretty good against a single opponent, but terrible against multiple. Try to find a machete or an axe or at least a baseball bat or something.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I found an aluminium baseball bat somewhere and I think it'll probably carry me until I find an actual mace or sword or something. The most important thing about it is that it does ok damage against armoured enemies, so zombie soldiers and swat zombies can be dispatched with some ease.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

My current fave (tusky mcsmashface notwithstanding) is an Eskrima + survival knife combo, or combat knife if I can find one to replace the survival knife. I'm not sure which is better, Silat or Eskrima but so far this has gotten me through ok. Obviously knife-fighting isn't ideal and I frequently have to stop exploring to recuperate from the pain-spiral but provided I take enemies on one at a time, its a decent starting setup.

I once tried spears and had an NPC follower with what I think was a trident so I might bite the bullet and try making something like that - if I can get some reach I might have to worry about my equipment getting ripped to poo poo less.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Carcer posted:

I found an aluminium baseball bat somewhere and I think it'll probably carry me until I find an actual mace or sword or something. The most important thing about it is that it does ok damage against armoured enemies, so zombie soldiers and swat zombies can be dispatched with some ease.

I think, if I'm remembering right, the aluminum bat is at least a lot better than many of the crafted weapons; it's among the best of the non-exotic melee weapons.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I found a working CDV machine in the bottom of a lab for once and a Rapier+1 in a magic academy not all that far away from it. Turns out you can diamond coat piercing weapons now so it's my workhorse melee weapon even if I don't know how to fence.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Since vehicle construction came up recently, what's the skinny on roller drums instead of wheels? I found a working vehicle with 60" roller drums and now I wonder if it's a waste of my time to bring it back and take them off?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

Since vehicle construction came up recently, what's the skinny on roller drums instead of wheels? I found a working vehicle with 60" roller drums and now I wonder if it's a waste of my time to bring it back and take them off?

I know they DID suck but I think vehicle collision has been gone over again since then so maybe they don't know.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Go through a lab, deal with the finale of 2 UGVs and a crow turret on each corner of the room and get a single alpha serum

Nothing like shooting up the disintegration line as my reward for this.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
A good early weapon is any rifle like gun/(maybe crossbow as well) and a combat knife. You can activate it and put it as a barrel attachment, and it has reach 1.

This means you have a melee weapon you can shoot at range and also has reach, and better durability that most early spears.

You can get it off of your first mil zombie, if your lucky, which are hard to kill but if you find a handgun then you're good to take at least one down.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The idea of shooting anything with a gun is crazy to me early game. Getting swarmed when you've got no skills, no real idea of zombie layout and no real armor or gear seems like suicide.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

This game really needs some intermediate weapons. There's nothing between "literal trash I hammered into the rough shape of a sword" and glorious hanzo steel you need a working forge, smelter, acetylene torch, anvil, and 7 fabrication to build.

Griz
May 21, 2001

what the gently caress is up with grenades? I threw one into the middle of a giant blob of zombies (I think they were all chasing a cat or something) from 35 tiles out, it killed like 10 of them but also ripped my backpack and knocked 3 bars off one of my legs.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

They throw fragments now. Results can be unpredictable.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

megane posted:

This game really needs some intermediate weapons. There's nothing between "literal trash I hammered into the rough shape of a sword" and glorious hanzo steel you need a working forge, smelter, acetylene torch, anvil, and 7 fabrication to build.

I dunno, the trench knife felt like a pretty big upgrade over my sharpened rebar (both even use Silat) in my newest game. I haven’t felt weakened by sticking with it pretty deep into the game, but I’ve been grinding up my melee skills so maybe that’s what’s doing it for me.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Weird but workable, I got stuck behind a traffic jam on a bridge but I'm making my way through by disassembling squares of cars that are getting in the way of my semi. I'm not entirely sure how to interpret this, but I'm leaving behind a trail of cars that are half untouched, half just neatly disassembled.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Rockopolis posted:

Weird but workable, I got stuck behind a traffic jam on a bridge but I'm making my way through by disassembling squares of cars that are getting in the way of my semi. I'm not entirely sure how to interpret this, but I'm leaving behind a trail of cars that are half untouched, half just neatly disassembled.

That sounds like a Roadside Picnic thing. An area, rigidly defined with razor-sharp edges, in which everything mechanical has been neatly disassembled and stacked in piles.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

The Lone Badger posted:

That sounds like a Roadside Picnic thing. An area, rigidly defined with razor-sharp edges, in which everything mechanical has been neatly disassembled and stacked in piles.
Yes, very much so! Especially if the cars are still standing perfectly upright on two wheels, until you bump into them.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

AFashionableHat posted:

I dunno, the trench knife felt like a pretty big upgrade over my sharpened rebar (both even use Silat) in my newest game. I haven’t felt weakened by sticking with it pretty deep into the game, but I’ve been grinding up my melee skills so maybe that’s what’s doing it for me.

Trench knife has the advantage that unarmed combat techniques work with it as well as knife techniques. My character doesn’t know any unarmed techniques but my NPC bodyguard is a Venom Mob protégée so it makes him even more hilariously overpowered.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Managed to find an Atomic SUV. Salvaged the minireactor and stuck it in the trunk for whenever I can find a welder. Does draining mean what I think it means?

This is an incredibly long bridge and all these assholes left their cars over the center line. I'm having to pop the wing mirrors off the side of my car to squeeze by some.

Edit
^^^ Any martial arts work well with hatchets or axes? Now I kind of want to try a Stylish Axe Gang profession or something.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Fior di Battaglia works with axes. You can start with it via Melee Weapons Training.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Rockopolis posted:

Managed to find an Atomic SUV. Salvaged the minireactor and stuck it in the trunk for whenever I can find a welder. Does draining mean what I think it means?
Pretty sure that it does leak radiation :v: Everything with radiation in it should leak once it's damaged enough I think

I just raided a gardening supply store and holy poo poo did it have tons of seeds. What are some plants you should focus on farming? I figured some good ones out for myself like pumpkins and stuff that you turn into flour/healthy tea but I wonder if there's a pro-strat to farming certain plants?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its a trip when you go from wearing just whatever you find. I see they finally added a tier between grabbing military gear off military zombies > survivor gear in the form of nomad gear.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Oh. Well. I guess I will leave it behind, then.

Actually getting pretty hungry lately. Getting through the traffic jam on the 33 tile Bridge took a couple days. On the plus side, I scrounge a mi if ridge, kitchen, and more solar panels. Also, fungaloids are vegetarian!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Tin Tim posted:

I just raided a gardening supply store and holy poo poo did it have tons of seeds. What are some plants you should focus on farming? I figured some good ones out for myself like pumpkins and stuff that you turn into flour/healthy tea but I wonder if there's a pro-strat to farming certain plants?
I would say oats are one of the most valuable, because they can be processed into a variety of foods including the very calorie-rich and long-lasting oatmeal, as well as a few others. Grains are always worth growing, especially ones with quick planting times. Berries are useful as they serve as fruits for most recipes like jams and other sometimes difficult results. Beyond that any large-volume vegetable should be fine, potatos and pumpkins are pretty versatile but the latter don't keep very long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Leal posted:

Its a trip when you go from wearing just whatever you find. I see they finally added a tier between grabbing military gear off military zombies > survivor gear in the form of nomad gear.

Be careful with nomad gear, its hot as hell and I could not wait to switch over to survivor gear to stop my character overheating all the time.