Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

hiddenriverninja posted:

Is it worth finishing? I think I tapped out halfway through.

There are some neat moments, and a few surprises, but it does depend on how much you like the new characters, Brion and Violet especially. If you're invested in them then you might as well, since the season does a lot of work on both of them. But if you're kinda meh on them or actively dislike 'em? I dunno if I could wholeheartedly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So the current Spider-man cartoon started its third (and final?) season, and it's pretty alright.
Max and Peter's dynamic with the identity reveal is pretty interesting. Though I can't help but think that this is the writers really liking Ock and Peter's team up late last season and deciding to keep that dynamic with Max and the 'new' guy. I can't help but dislike Max due to how much raw danger he puts all these children through, but I dislike it in an enjoyable way? It reflects really well with Peter who takes such risks as well, but he endangers himself vs Max endangering others and his resources.

Really curious about Max's friend. It was a good fakeout how it kinda seemed like he could be talking about Connors and it turned out nah.

Too bad the release schedule is looking insane. Bundling a couple episodes together into a single release per month. But next month's episodes sound sick as gently caress

quote:

When Toddler Groot lands on Earth to deliver an urgent warning, Spider-Man must decode the message and keep him out of the evil clutches of A.I.M. and Baron Mordo.
*Felicia Day (“The Guild”) stars as Mary Jane Watson, Sofia Wylie (Disney+’s “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series”) guest stars as Ironheart/Riri Williams and Leonard Roberts (“Buffy the Vampire Slayer”) guest stars as Baron Mordo.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the harley quinn show continues to be extremely good.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

In defense of Young Justice season 3, it sometimes remembers its sense of humor with stuff like Bowhunter Security and Guy Gardener singing about his butt.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
poo poo WRONG THREAD

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/Jo_Zatarra/status/1257539113630269441

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

It's amazing how they keep finding worse and worse designs for Harley.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Show keeps steadily improving.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Pretty sure that’s not the Harley show. I think Justice League Dark got a new movie.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Open Marriage Night posted:

Pretty sure that’s not the Harley show. I think Justice League Dark got a new movie.

More than that, they basically pulled an Ultimatum on that DC animated movie universe with that movie, indeed I'd argue they did it dirtier than that

Vandar posted:

It's amazing how they keep finding worse and worse designs for Harley.

Honestly I thought it was a decent enough one

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

John hosed the shark

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

More than that, they basically pulled an Ultimatum on that DC animated movie universe with that movie, indeed I'd argue they did it dirtier than that

Honestly I thought it was a decent enough one

I just looked up the plot and sheesh, it sounds terrible.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

I just looked up the plot and sheesh, it sounds terrible.

I just finished watching it and it wasn't that bad. It wasn't BvS levels of depressing, but it wasn't that bad. Constantine is great in it, Raven is too.

Wasn't prepared for the f-bombs though. That caught me waaaaaaaay off guard.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Honestly glad they’re retiring this overly edgy animated universe they’ve been doing for years and did it in the edgiest way they could think of.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's a small thing, but I remember just absolutely hating Wonder Woman's costume in the newer animated films. Even most of the bad costumes from the comic books would have been better.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

It's a small thing, but I remember just absolutely hating Wonder Woman's costume in the newer animated films. Even most of the bad costumes from the comic books would have been better.

Yeah it's pretty poo poo. Hopefully when they get to WW in their new animated universe they'll get closer to her film look.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rhyno posted:

Yeah it's pretty poo poo. Hopefully when they get to WW in their new animated universe they'll get closer to her film look.

Well I just started watching the new flick and she does have such a suit. I guess I missed when she got it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One complaint I have about those animated flicks is everybody seems really subdued. The vocal direction's just kind of there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

One complaint I have about those animated flicks is everybody seems really subdued. The vocal direction's just kind of there.

Yeah, none of these have the life the DCAU had.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, none of these have the life the DCAU had.

I don’t understand why they don’t make a new DCAU show for DC universe.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Spacebump posted:

they did, its called harley quinn, its really good, check it out

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Spacebump posted:

Because that ship has sailed. We all miss the DCAU but it's never coming back.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

All the VAs have aged so much they sound different now, and without Dwayne McDuffie it wouldn't be the same.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Rhyno posted:

Because that ship has sailed. We all miss the DCAU but it's never coming back.

They went back last year though.

Lurdiak posted:

All the VAs have aged so much they sound different now, and without Dwayne McDuffie it wouldn't be the same.

The returning VAs in Justice League vs. the Fatal Five sounded all right.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

On Instagram live, Kevin Conroy did a reading of the first issue of the new/reboot? DCAU comic book that just got released, and it was fantastic. Dude did a great job with the other character voices, especially Alfred (he wasn't particularly try to sound like Efrem Zimbalist Jr.). Highly recommend watching it.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
The voices will never sound right without Andrea Romano directing them, end of story.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nanigans posted:

The voices will never sound right without Andrea Romano directing them, end of story.

Basically. Dini/Timm may have been the "big names" that pitched the DCAU, but what really made them able to generate 15 years of amazing cartoons were the singular talents of Romano and McDuffie. She made the voices, and he reigned in Timm while still being talented enough to write/direct compelling stories.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Crisis on Two Earths always felt like a really natural continuation of the DCAU without treading the same ground. New voice cast but same tone and art style. The movies that try to copy it like Fatal Five did just feel off (though not a bad movie) or in Batman & Harley Quinn’s case, rancid.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TheHan posted:

Crisis on Two Earths always felt like a really natural continuation of the DCAU without treading the same ground. New voice cast but same tone and art style. The movies that try to copy it like Fatal Five did just feel off (though not a bad movie) or in Batman & Harley Quinn’s case, rancid.

That's because it's based on an old pitch for a Justice League TV movie that never got made that was supposed to bridge the first series and JLU together

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'm still baffled that they keep churning these DC animated movies out like clockwork while the quality has been extremely uneven for over a decade.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

JT Smiley posted:

I'm still baffled that they keep churning these DC animated movies out like clockwork while the quality has been extremely uneven for over a decade.

Quality is irrelevant if people keep giving them money.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

drrockso20 posted:

That's because it's based on an old pitch for a Justice League TV movie that never got made that was supposed to bridge the first series and JLU together

Well, poo poo. Guess that explains that. Maybe at least they’ll go in a creative direction that isn’t dull edginess.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

so apparently The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers are getting a cartoon, with a preview mini-episode having been released yesterday;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB20_GvGXxY

unfortunately it's not very good, but maybe the full show will be better

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That is a deep cut.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

That is a deep cut.

Apparently people have been trying to bring the Freak Brothers to the screen for decades, which isn't all that surprising because the original comics are some of the funniest I've ever read

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Toshimo posted:

Quality is irrelevant if people keep giving them money.

I meant, who is buying this poo poo?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wanna say that it's easier to build up something big with a more organized ongoing series (or series of multiple series) than it is for a bunch of weird unrelated movies to each grab attention and individually establish the characters all over again.

I kinda fell behind with the animated movies, and not much made me feel like going back. Although maybe I just got worn down on superhero junk in a way that I wasn't on Scooby Doo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It didn't help that aside from the Death and Return of Superman, none of the films felt connected.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Well Darkseid was always behind the latest scheme in the Justice League and Superman movie. After War he just tended to hang at home like Dr.Claw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Darkseid is