Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!
There's a comic strip that was posted on here years ago, like a white business man, sweating profusely, who can't stop thinking about sex. Vague description I know. I've tried googling a few times but can't find it. Does anyone remember this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

proctorbot posted:

There's a comic strip that was posted on here years ago, like a white business man, sweating profusely, who can't stop thinking about sex. Vague description I know. I've tried googling a few times but can't find it. Does anyone remember this?

Have you tried The News?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

VodeAndreas posted:

Dark Reign had you harvesting water as one of the main resources and is about the right timeframe there.

also had tanks which created targeted earthquake waves, a brilliant weapon used by no other games ever.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

proctorbot posted:

This one?

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!

Ah no, thanks for trying. It was like a nine-panel, with a "gross" style.

Still pops to mind from time to time, but can never find it.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!

Thank you!!!!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

cda posted:

I'm looking for a science fiction short story. The premise is that because of overpopulation or something, people only live on alternate days and they get put in stasis on the other days, so for example one person would live Monday Wednesday and Friday, and the other one would live Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, and then maybe every other Sunday or something like that. My memory is hazy and Google hasn't helped.

I can't help but In think it's the sf Stack Exchange where identify-the-story questions are allowed and the people who hang around have encyclopaedic knowledge of golden age pulp.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

cda posted:

I'm looking for a science fiction short story. The premise is that because of overpopulation or something, people only live on alternate days and they get put in stasis on the other days, so for example one person would live Monday Wednesday and Friday, and the other one would live Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, and then maybe every other Sunday or something like that. My memory is hazy and Google hasn't helped.

cda posted:

Unfortunately not it. It's a short story for sure...probably written somewhere between the 50s and the end of the 70s.

e: whoops, I see I somehow forgot to include the word "short" in my initial description.
Your initial description made me think of Philip José Farmer's Dayworld books, and it turns out the first novel was based on his 1971 short story called The Sliced-Crosswise Only-On-Tuesday World (wikipedia link). People only get to be awake one day a week in that, but it otherwise sounds like a possible match, with a little Gift of the Magi type thing in a future world wracked by overpopulation and pollution.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

cda posted:

poo poo, I’ve read this within the last decade-I think it’s Frederic Brown but I can’t find the paperback to check.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Rahonavis posted:

Allistair in Outer Space maybe?

https://youtu.be/WjNJu56Mnyc

Son of a bitch

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Looking for a .gif I lost a long time ago. Its from The Critic and shows Jay Sherman flipping through his planner, where the days say Binge and Purge. Trying to find this .gif led me to discover 1) there are a depressingly great number of websites about eating disorders and 2) a depressingly small amount of Critic .gifs.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Eason the Fifth posted:

Looking for a .gif I lost a long time ago. Its from The Critic and shows Jay Sherman flipping through his planner, where the days say Binge and Purge. Trying to find this .gif led me to discover 1) there are a depressingly great number of websites about eating disorders and 2) a depressingly small amount of Critic .gifs.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of this?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Action Jacktion posted:

Are you sure you aren't thinking of this?

That's exactly it. I must be conflating that and the binge/purge joke from another show. Thanks!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Eason the Fifth posted:

That's exactly it. I must be conflating that and the binge/purge joke from another show. Thanks!

Tell me what it is when you find it. It sounds so familiar

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?

Eason the Fifth posted:

No, Binge/Purge is also from The Critic. Episode 7, "Every Doris Has Her Day", about 11:10 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFhh-h4tCZA
I can't find a gif, but you can perhaps make an all new one of your own. (Manic/Depressive, I think, is from the season 2 opener.)

By the way, thanks to the Identify That Book thread, I finally learned the identity of my white whale! It arrived in the mail this week. For those curious:

Harvey TWH posted:

1. My biggest white whale: a YA novel (possibly a series) about a boy and a graphing calculator. I got this/these from the library in the early-mid 90s, and considering the tech involved they could have been up to a decade or so old. This kid's mom is doing research in the jungle or something and then goes missing (dad too?), possibly kidnapped. Through a dialup BBS he finds or is contacted by something that turns out to be an AI program that wants to help him out, and the AI gives him instructions to mod his graphing calculator to both host the AI and augment its abilities, so it can scan through satellite images of the jungle and stuff. Perennial searches with various keywords have come up dry. (It, by the way, is not The Computer That Ate My Brother, though maybe that title is someone else's WW.)
Turned out to be The Lost Forest, by Ian McMahan, last in the "Microkid" adventure series. I wasn't that far off with my description at all... this hybrid device is called a "compulator", and it was apparently created in an earlier book. The other books are on their way to me, but I can't recall if I have indeed read them too.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Rikimaru posted:

Thank you!!!!

If you've just now become fully aware of Sifl & Olly then you're lucky because you are in for a great backlog.

Synthetic Dreams
Jul 19, 2005

by Cyrano4747
I've been looking for a book or sets of books on the same level as Willy GIbbers Sprswl trilogy and I cannot find anything. Altered Carbon is a bit not my style. Maybe it gets better, not sure where it and the tv show diverges.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

DiabloNachos posted:

I've been trying to find a Conan O'Brien intro that goes like :

"Last time on Conan O'Brien" and then it shows a bunch of made up clips from previous episodes where Andy was poisoned, and generally a bunch of evil behind the scenes/backstabbing stuff was going on, like the show was Dallas or something.

It wasn't during the TBS era, it was older than that.

Failing that, there's a show when he went to California and Andy sleeps with the actress Conan wants, that's another one I haven't seen in forever.

This is crazy timing; Conan's youtube literally just uploaded it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTKw2Kw3Ktw

Turns out it was Max that was poisoned.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 2, 2020

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
There is a song with the lyrics: keeping me here with your eyes closed.

Its guitar melodic with voice. I heard it in 2010 ish and haven't been able to find it since.

It would bring back some good memories if i could hear it again.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

gloom posted:

Your initial description made me think of Philip José Farmer's Dayworld books, and it turns out the first novel was based on his 1971 short story called The Sliced-Crosswise Only-On-Tuesday World (wikipedia link). People only get to be awake one day a week in that, but it otherwise sounds like a possible match, with a little Gift of the Magi type thing in a future world wracked by overpopulation and pollution.

YES!!!! That's it! You rock. Thank you.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Have one more: there was a quote from a goon a few years back inventing a movie premise that was something like two stoners breaking into the Vatican to save the pope or something, and the post basically went on to write up a pretty absurd number of potential scenes like holy water being bong water. The whole thing came off like an off-hand sales pitch to a Hollywood exec and it was absolutely marvelous.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Most High!

Not sure if anyone has the original post but someone's replicated it on reddit:

quote:

Alright, jerkfaces, time for a real man to enter this movie pitching game.

The film starts by establishing that the Pope is dying and it's only a matter of time before he passes on to the great pulpit in the sky. So our two heroes, who have heard of the fabled Stash of Saladin in the Vatican archives, trek to the Vatican knowing that everyone will be distracted preparing for the upcoming papal selection, and they plan to try to steal the weed. Hilarity ensues as they stumble through set piece after set piece, including the aforementioned communion-wafer munchies, a scene in which they hide a joint in what turns out to be a ceremonial censer and get an entire congregation a contact high, and I dunno, a scene where they need to fill a bong with holy water or something.

The climax comes when they're caught and pursued through the city by the Swiss Guard, and through a series of mishaps end up in the Room of Tears and disguise themselves in robes that they find there. They finally end up smoking their stash but get caught halfway through and run away, but since it's very special ancient weed the smoke ends up billowing white, so the group assembled in St. Peter's Square think a new Pope has been elected, and somehow the two end up on the balcony and everyone mistakes them for the Cardinal Protodeacon and the new Pope, so one of them has to give a speech (in a nod to The Great Dictator) and he ends up making a plea that everyone chill and be more real to each other and stuff. And the speech goes over really well and everyone cheers and then we do a voice over by one of the guys saying that while he didn't actually become Pope everyone loved his speech so much that they were both given pardons by the real new Pope and they got the girls (earlier we will have established that they stirred some decidedly unchaste feelings in two young ladies who hadn't yet taken their final vows). Then after the credits we have a scene in which the new Pope goes down into the archive himself, locks the door behind him and takes a big hit off of Saladin's Stash and says "Ahhh...stercus bonus!" THE END

We call the film "The Most High," give it a tagline like "The dope is infallible" and release at Easter 2014. 4/20/14.

You're all welcome.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Somewhere on the forums somebody posted a link to a Japanese model-maker who made perfect tiny replicas of various meme animals, the one I remember was a cat wearing a surgical mask. Searching anything with the word "model" in it hopelessly skews the results.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

yaffle posted:

Somewhere on the forums somebody posted a link to a Japanese model-maker who made perfect tiny replicas of various meme animals, the one I remember was a cat wearing a surgical mask. Searching anything with the word "model" in it hopelessly skews the results.

Probably this guy:
https://twitter.com/meetissai

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Yep
https://twitter.com/meetissai/status/1227044107651936256

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Definitely that guy, thanks. :)

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

My Lovely Horse posted:

The Most High!

Lol that's the one. Thanks!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

My Lovely Horse posted:

The Most High!

Didn't this happen in Harold & Kumar 2?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

evobatman posted:

Didn't this happen in Harold & Kumar 2?

Eurotrip did “a stoner mistaken for the pope”, I believe.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
If anyone can find the old Conan clip where they keep cutting to a car chase but the car chase is just Hot Wheels being strung along with fishing line I would be grateful

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I saw a video years ago of a guy hiding behind a door holding a cardboard box. He yells something, another person runs through the door and he smacks them in the face with the cardboard box. It was called either brutality.avi or fatality.avi I think

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

Julius CSAR posted:

If anyone can find the old Conan clip where they keep cutting to a car chase but the car chase is just Hot Wheels being strung along with fishing line I would be grateful

Is it the Michael Jackson one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWc_eesBt2c

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
There was this gif that got posted in fyad every now and then and because I don't know what it was from I'm not sure what the context was. Some guy enters this big room with neat floor tile designs and maybe cuts a spin? I don't know. It always made me laugh. If it's from a movie or show I'd like to know

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Gotta put a dining table and a mini ballroom floor in this byitch, why we pullin our knees on the sheepskin and velvet rugs?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

When I was a young teenager, I was listening to an Elvis Costello cassette tape with my mom as we were driving around town on an errand run. One of the songs described a grim murder scene where all the family members were dead and I really dug it, and I have no idea what that song was. Maybe I am misremembering it.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Dazerbeams posted:

When I was a young teenager, I was listening to an Elvis Costello cassette tape with my mom as we were driving around town on an errand run. One of the songs described a grim murder scene where all the family members were dead and I really dug it, and I have no idea what that song was. Maybe I am misremembering it.

Is it this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8fPvODASoI

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

No, but I still dig his stuff haha. I remember something a little slower and morbid.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Some spring or oasis in the southwest. Might have a state park on it. That's all I got, sorry

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

There were several old buildings built beside a pool of fresh water. That's all I got for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

There's a video I saw tweeted some time ago, somebody drops a camera, I think from a plane, so you're seeing from the camera's point of view as it falls and spins, spinning faster and faster until it becomes impossible to tell what you're seeing, it's just symmetrical circles of motion, which then seamlessly segues into the opening of Kiznaiver