Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

bobjr posted:

Salem's lot could be a good movie, but they would have to set it in it's original time period I think. I haven't put too much thought into it, but I think that's probably better than modernizing it.

You guys know there are two miniseries of the Lot right? The first one was made in the 70s.

The second had a cast that’s more recognizable but the first has its fans. I haven’t seen it and have no opinion but it looks like Dark Shadows before Tim Burton remade it with his usual suspects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Count me as someone who preferred the IT TV series over the 2 films. I thought the TV series did a much better of making all the kids feel like distinct individuals, whereas the movie they all felt interchangeable. If you took out Richie's profanity, he would've been no different than Stan or Eddie or Bill.

I also like that the casting of adults in the TV series because they looked and felt like average, everyday people, where in the movie I think you could take that cast, put them in, say, an action ensemble film, and they wouldn't feel out of place.

Crindee posted:

That old lady darting around nude in the background did manage to creep me out, then oops nevermind she's a big goofy CGI thing

Things like that and the creepy librarian from the first film pissed me off, because it made me ask "Why is it doing that?" because the people it's supposed to be scaring aren't paying attention to it. They don't see that stuff, so why is it doing that? Like, what's the point?

There were choices made for the movie that didn't make sense in the context of the story. If IT choses a clown form to lure in children, why isn't its design more friendly looking? If it can make itself look like anything, why rat incisors? Why a painted smile that curls up to resemble devil horns? Why nasty rear end clothes instead of something clean?

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 10:48 on May 6, 2020

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I’m reading The Outsider now and absolutely loving it. I have a feeling the explanation of the central mystery is going to disappoint me but that’s ok. I wanted to celebrate an excellent opening and escalation of mystery for now.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

ghostwritingduck posted:

I’m reading The Outsider now and absolutely loving it. I have a feeling the explanation of the central mystery is going to disappoint me but that’s ok. I wanted to celebrate an excellent opening and escalation of mystery for now.

Stephen King: Celebrate an excellent opening and escalation of mystery for now.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Davros1 posted:

Count me as someone who preferred the IT TV series over the 2 films.

I also like that the casting of adults in the TV series because they looked and felt like average, everyday people, where in the movie I think you could take that cast, put them in, say, an action ensemble film, and they wouldn't feel out of place.

Man, I thought the adult actors in the tv series were simply god awful and the weakest element of the whole thing. Which was weird because there were some talented actors there.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

You guys know there are two miniseries of the Lot right? The first one was made in the 70s.

The second had a cast that’s more recognizable but the first has its fans. I haven’t seen it and have no opinion but it looks like Dark Shadows before Tim Burton remade it with his usual suspects.

I said in this thread before the original Salem’s Lot miniseries was a life changing experience for me. I watched it way too young (7) when it aired, and it freaked me out to the point I still don’t like to sleep with curtains open. For me the scenes in the first are more iconic and scarier than the remake ever dreamed of being. It is the reason I started reading King.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

ghostwritingduck posted:

You’ll know exactly when it takes a nosedive.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

nate fisher posted:

I said in this thread before the original Salem’s Lot miniseries was a life changing experience for me. I watched it way too young (7) when it aired, and it freaked me out to the point I still don’t like to sleep with curtains open. For me the scenes in the first are more iconic and scarier than the remake ever dreamed of being. It is the reason I started reading King.

Dang. That's an interesting thought though. What made you start reading King?

I'm pretty sure it was when I was tall enough to casually walk into the adult section of the library (no library police on duty that day I guess) and saw the dust jackets.

Was it The Dark Half? I have a very distinct memory of checking out the handcuff on the bedposts version of Gerald's Game and then wondering after why they would give that to a ten year-old. Whatever it was it was published in the 80s.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i read the girl who loved tom gordon when it came out in fourth grade. then i read the eyes of the dragon, and i think i followed that with salems lot.....read the dead zone and the shining young as well. never really scared by them, i was more fascinated by how he made the unreal feel real once i got into the real horror. i think to this day the only thing hes written that really freaked me out was “the raft”

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

My mom gave me a copy of The Gunslinger when I turned 12. She had been reading The Dark Tower books as they came out and was actually so pissed about the ending that she's not read a King book since. She had read all his stuff beforehand. Now she reads legal thrillers.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My mother use to con/steal books from one of those book clubs like DoubleDay, and most of them were horror. She also let my bother and me watch scary movies at a way too early age. Watching Salem’s Lot when it aired made King a very known name in my young mind. So around 3rd or 4th grade I read Firestarter (which my mom got from some book club) just because I knew the name of Stephen King from Salem's Lot. I don’t think I read anything else by King until 6th grade, and that was a combination of Night Shift and finally reading Salem’s Lot. Pet Semetary came out in paperback when I was in 7th grade and I bought that myself to read. I read Skeleton Crew, Thinner, and Bachman Books in 8th. I finally read The Stand my freshman year, and after that I have no idea.

Edit: In defense of my mother, she was 16 when she was pregnant with me, so excuse her perceived short comings as a parent (teachers told me all the time I was too young to read what I was reading). To be honest I wouldn't change that part of her parenting for anything.

Edit2: Only reason I remember reading Thinner in 8th grade was a girl in my class did a verbal book report on Thinner. Her trying to explain how the accident happen was a little bit awkward for her and especially awkward for our teacher once she figured it out. Hey it was the 80's what can I say.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 7, 2020

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Stand is a lot less scary now that I know that if Captain Trips came along the only things people would do is shelter in their homes or pretend it's all a big hoax, there'd be no crazy rioting or murder game shows or anything.

The people of Boulder believing a conspiracy theory and fleeing is the most accurate part.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The Stand is a lot less scary now that I know that if Captain Trips came along the only things people would do is shelter in their homes or pretend it's all a big hoax, there'd be no crazy rioting or murder game shows or anything.

The people of Boulder believing a conspiracy theory and fleeing is the most accurate part.

The part where a lot of people died in church...

It doesn’t work that way they just get sick in church

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The guy who directed Dr. Sleep is going to make Revival. I didn't see Dr. Sleep so I don't know if this is good or badnews

https://news.avclub.com/doctor-sleeps-mike-flanagan-staying-in-the-king-busines-1843348760

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I think my first King book was Cujo. My dad had some first edition hardbacks, so it went Cujo > Carrie > The Shining > Christine > etc, etc, etc.

BiggerBoat posted:

The guy who directed Dr. Sleep is going to make Revival. I didn't see Dr. Sleep so I don't know if this is good or badnews

https://news.avclub.com/doctor-sleeps-mike-flanagan-staying-in-the-king-busines-1843348760

Dr. Sleep was real good.

EDIT: to be clear, the movie was real good. The book, not so much.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 9, 2020

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

dr sleep was mediocre but its because of the book. the adaptation elevated it somewhat, i have high hopes

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I read Dr Sleep and thought it was decent enough; not terrible but not amazing. Is it worth me watching the movie at all? Does it do anything interesting with the source material?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lemon posted:

I read Dr Sleep and thought it was decent enough; not terrible but not amazing. Is it worth me watching the movie at all? Does it do anything interesting with the source material?

It’s a sequel to the film the shining, not the book version, which I thought was a cool idea.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Lemon posted:

I'm going to spoiler this, but it doesn't say anything specific:

It's a sequel to the movie The Shining that takes some of the book Dr. Sleep and mashes it together with parts of the book The Shining that were left out of the feature film of the same name to make a fourth unique thing, the movie Dr. Sleep, which honestly isn't that bad.

Like somebody was a big fan of The Shining the movie but also loved the very different The Shining the book and wanted to make a movie that was a sequel/homage to the two at the same time and used a bunch of another book that happened to already exist to make this labor of love.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 10, 2020

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again; Doctor Sleep is a good book, but a terrible sequel.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That sounds about right for King though. I read Black House before The Talisman and thought it largely stood on its own well, but reading The Talisman later made Black House worse somehow.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Black House is the book equivalent of The Fifth Element: pure garbage fit only for those with absolutely no taste

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Dr. Sleep is an odd movie adaption. Without giving away too much, the ending of the book essentially occurs about 2/3rds the way through the movie. Then they tack on a totally different ending. And it's so much better for it.

Also the casting is brilliant. It's sad the movie pretty much bombed.

oldpainless posted:

The Black House is the book equivalent of The Fifth Element: pure garbage fit only for those with absolutely no taste

Feeling personally attacked in my multipass.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

That sounds about right for King though. I read Black House before The Talisman and thought it largely stood on its own well, but reading The Talisman later made Black House worse somehow.

I didn't care for either of those. I've tried twice with The Talisman and somehow plowed through Black House but they just don't do it for me. I gave The Talisman a second chance not too long ago since the first time I tried to read it I was pretty young

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I liked Black House for the meandering background detail and characters than for the actual plot. Something about the excess detail in that book just did it for me.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Talisman was okay, I just found the whole character of Wolf to be dumb as hell.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The Zombie Guy posted:

Talisman was okay, I just found the whole character of Wolf to be dumb as hell.

What is it like having no heart??

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Honestly I found it pretty mortifying as well. I think generally King should avoid writing kid perspective chapters, even though I know that's kind of his bread and butter.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I must be in the minority because The Talisman is one of my favorite King books. I didn’t care for the sequel, but I’ve read the original a couple of times.

And Wolf is alright. M-O-O-N, that spells alright.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; Doctor Sleep is a good book, but a terrible sequel.

Was Doctor Sleep ever pitched as a sequel? I mean, by King himself, because it just seemed like he thought exploring the idea of how hosed Danny’s life because of the shining and hotel would be cool (it is) rather than him wanting to make a conventional sequel.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

I must be in the minority because The Talisman is one of my favorite King books. I didn’t care for the sequel, but I’ve read the original a couple of times.

And Wolf is alright. M-O-O-N, that spells alright.

The Talisman is/was (dunno if there’s been some kind of turnaround on it) regarded as one of Kong’s best. I read it when I was like 13 on a family road trip which was probably the ideal way to read it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Talisman is/was (dunno if there’s been some kind of turnaround on it) regarded as one of Kong’s best. I read it when I was like 13 on a family road trip which was probably the ideal way to read it.

Pictured: Stephen Kong.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Baron von Eevl posted:

this happened to me, I had no idea Black House was a sequel and enjoyed it. i tried to read The Talisman when I heard about it but it was terrible. maybe because i was younger (more forgiving) when i read Black House but there's a pretty disparate tone imo.

looking back over some old King books lately and it never bothered me before but the kind of arch folksy voice his writing takes on when describing small town characters can get so incredibly grating in parts. he can be really self indulgent with all those little tics of his.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I do think The Talisman was a book for young readers. I read it at about 15 and it was the perfect blend of of the fantastical, the tragic, the quest archectype, and often had me in tears.

I can read it today if I choose to and know it will transport me back to that age (much like Peter Strab's Shadowland) but if I approached them now without those fond memories I doubt I would enjoy it much, either.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

I do think The Talisman was a book for young readers. I read it at about 15

I tried it at 15 and again at 45.

It sucked twice and I never finished it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Talisman good. Black House bad.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

I tried it at 15 and again at 45.

It sucked twice and I never finished it.
Fair enough, BB.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I was thinking today about Battleground, from the Night Shift short story collection.

Something that I really liked about it is how Renshaw doesn't waste any time being dumbfounded by these tiny soldiers attacking him. He immediately rolls with it, and fights back. Even when he gets cornered in the bathroom, he isn't struck with the typical "What's happening? Am I going crazy?" sort of thoughts that tend to happen. He comes up with a plan on the spur of the moment, and is already thinking ahead to who gave him away, and what his next steps are.

Reminds me a bit of George Clooney's character in From Dusk Til Dawn.
Don't say to me "I don't believe in vampires", because I don't believe in vampires, but what I saw out there was loving vampires!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The Zombie Guy posted:

I was thinking today about Battleground, from the Night Shift short story collection.

Something that I really liked about it is how Renshaw doesn't waste any time being dumbfounded by these tiny soldiers attacking him. He immediately rolls with it, and fights back. Even when he gets cornered in the bathroom, he isn't struck with the typical "What's happening? Am I going crazy?" sort of thoughts that tend to happen. He comes up with a plan on the spur of the moment, and is already thinking ahead to who gave him away, and what his next steps are.

Reminds me a bit of George Clooney's character in From Dusk Til Dawn.
Don't say to me "I don't believe in vampires", because I don't believe in vampires, but what I saw out there was loving vampires!

renshaw must be a stand user

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I drove by an abandoned trailer park where someone had put a sign that said

quote:

BEWARE
OF THE
KING

I have no idea what it means, but it felt very Stephen King