Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ineptitude posted:

Really been jonesing for a City Builder or similar in the last few weeks.

Are there some games i have missed out on? Or do i simply have to wait for Aztec Empires and Ancient Cities to release?

from your feedback it sounds like what you're looking for is something very much a spiritual succession to the Impressions style of city builder, in which case there's nothing that has come out like that recently but a few games releasing soonish which should scratch the itch

surviving mars is great but it's also definitely not what you are looking for. may be worth a try in a pinch though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

explosivo posted:

If you still enjoy the core gameplay loop of Open TTD I highly recommend checking out Transport Fever 2. It feels very much like a 2019 version of the game because you're delivering goods to various stations to level them up and I found it real satisfying for ~40 hours.

Did they ever flesh out the signaling and platform decision making for train routes on this? I was annoying having trains not pick any available platform at my larger stations and just patiently waiting in line for another train while 3 other platforms sat empty. IIRC trains would determine their route on leaving the station and refused to deviate from it to overtake slower trains or pick unoccupied platforms once they started rolling.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

NatasDog posted:

Did they ever flesh out the signaling and platform decision making for train routes on this? I was annoying having trains not pick any available platform at my larger stations and just patiently waiting in line for another train while 3 other platforms sat empty. IIRC trains would determine their route on leaving the station and refused to deviate from it to overtake slower trains or pick unoccupied platforms once they started rolling.
No. Fever series bakes the path finding at route creation. You manually control it by selecting which station platform or path finding node to include in the route. You are expected to balance station traffic yourself. You can do things like express / slow sidings but you need to add the manual nodes and include them on the route.

It's a good analog of OpenTTD in delivering to cities and such. But they don't really have the pathfinding horsepower or expertise to do smart station selection and mid route decision making. So no self balancing stations, no automatic faster train overtakes express routes. If you're looking for that OpenTTD is still the best.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Ineptitude posted:

I'm going to mention Grand Ages: Rome again. I like it and it has some interesting ideas. Most notably, instead of having a specific amount of goods, you instead manage resource flows, which is simpler but also much less fiddly. Build a pig farm, your meat flow increases. Build a butchery, your meat flow decreases, your sausage flow increases and the nearby houses have food. There's also a simple but functional combat system. Overall it's simpler than the Impressions city builders, but in a good way.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

zedprime posted:

smart station selection and mid route decision making. So no self balancing stations,

IIRC, in the past the TF devs have said it is actually an intentional choice. For the most part cargo and passenger trains don’t just take any available platform in the real world, they’ve got assigned platforms.

I mean it could be an excuse, but I doubt it is. Just a questionable design decision (I don’t like it either, for the record).

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I assume that’s got to be true, mostly because people are waiting at a specific platform for a train and while I’m not familiar with rolling stock infrastructure, I assume that you have specific logistics assets staged at a platform where you expect a certain shipment.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It holds water both ways if we're talking about real life analogs. I am safely in the side of baked path finding being just fine for the kind of routing and planning in how Fever does things. Specifically there's no random breakdowns. You're in an ideal world and the ideal automated signalling and point to point pathing is how trains should work in such a world.

TTD having breakdowns opens up the can of worms that you suddenly want something filling in for a route controller. It and it's ilk then implement the route controller as a path finding AI on the train to allow using sidings or alternate platforms.

E. Does Fever have breakdowns? I'm questioning myself now, I just thought they get slower in age but it's been a few months.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 6, 2020

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Ineptitude posted:

I started up one of the ones i have played in the recent past that have gotten several features added since i played last but none of them grabbed me (Ostriv, Dawn of Man, Banished)

I fired up Zeus/Poseidon which i have played to death in the past and is one of my all time favourite games but i didn't feel it.
Then i gave OTTD a go, perhaps the game i have played the most in my life, but i simply feel "done" with that game now.
Mashinky is on my to-do list but i am going to wait a while longer for it to be more complete; i last played it when it had just gotten diesel-age added.

I looked at lets-plays of Industries of Titan but that game looked like complete utter garbage. I just could not get into that whole "build a mini base inside your buildings".
Surviving Mars gets pretty much shat on on Steam so that looks like a hard pass
Anno 1800 looks very interesting, but it is Epic excusive which i am strongly against and it is also really loving expensive AND it has draconian DRM in TYOOL2020.
Frostpunk looks like its more of a cross between a builder and a rpg so thats a big no thank you.

Are there some games i have missed out on? Or do i simply have to wait for Aztec Empires and Ancient Cities to release?

1800 is on uplay without epic being involved at all.

I've been on an Emperor ROTMK kick lately thanks to Total War Three Kingdoms. I played it 17 years ago when it was new so all the sounds are very familiar to me, but modern systems makes those ambient sound play back to back continuously and it got irritating.

The feng shui system is annoying though. Imagine invisible obstacles everywhere that bring your rating down.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
No train breakdowns in TF.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Actually, this Anno and Emperor:ROTMK chat makes me wonder, what are the best management/city builder/etc. games on GOG? That's a venue I rarely browse through.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

COOL CORN posted:

Actually, this Anno and Emperor:ROTMK chat makes me wonder, what are the best management/city builder/etc. games on GOG? That's a venue I rarely browse through.

The Impressions games.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Does anyone remember Outpost 2: Divided Destiny? Is there a game kinda like it at all out there?

I know it didn’t have great reviews but the lore and being able to read up on every building and the two different competing colonies made it a 10 year olds dream RTS game.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

zedprime posted:

No. Fever series bakes the path finding at route creation. You manually control it by selecting which station platform or path finding node to include in the route. You are expected to balance station traffic yourself. You can do things like express / slow sidings but you need to add the manual nodes and include them on the route.

It's a good analog of OpenTTD in delivering to cities and such. But they don't really have the pathfinding horsepower or expertise to do smart station selection and mid route decision making. So no self balancing stations, no automatic faster train overtakes express routes. If you're looking for that OpenTTD is still the best.

What's this about manual nodes then? It's been a long time since I played, do you just plop them down along routes and make them part of the train's schedule? Do trains have to slow down/come to a stop when you use them, or do they just fly by them if possible? I may just pick this up and play around with it again, I haven;t touched it since release.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
They don’t stop. It’s just waypoint markers you can plop down to force a path to include a particular point. You include the waypoint into the path sequence just like a station.

E: you can use them, and I find them more useful, on truck/bus routes, too.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 6, 2020

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I assume that’s got to be true, mostly because people are waiting at a specific platform for a train and while I’m not familiar with rolling stock infrastructure, I assume that you have specific logistics assets staged at a platform where you expect a certain shipment.

That's a ridiculous copout. As someone who was a ~CoMmUtEr RaIlRoAd~ user for about a decade, platforms were decided by timetable, not necessarily line, and there were plenty of times when 2 minutes before arrival there's an announcement that whoops actually it's going to be platform 3 and several hundred people all rush to go to the other side of the tracks before their ride shows up.

It would make sense to say that the platform is assigned if it could automatically rebalance the platforms based on arrival whenever you added, removed, or modified a line, but that's not what going to happen. Because this is an ad hoc simulation where you don't have to carefully schedule your lines and departures to help prevent delays, it's just lazy to not be able to handle pre-signals and the idea of only picking platforms your train can effectively path back out of.

Disappointing Pie posted:

Does anyone remember Outpost 2: Divided Destiny? Is there a game kinda like it at all out there?

I know it didn’t have great reviews but the lore and being able to read up on every building and the two different competing colonies made it a 10 year olds dream RTS game.

It was a fun game a long time ago but I think it's mostly rose colored googles at this point. Earth 2150 sort of iterated on this concept, in that you had multiple warring factions trying to escape the earth, but not enough resources for everyone. So, not only do you need to save up enough resources to build your space ship, you also need to spend them to produce vehicles, upgrade your home base, and perform research. The choices you made carried over from mission to mission, so if you keep most of your army in good repair it's there for next time (but given the tech advancements will slowly lose its effectiveness). It was a phenomenal concept that I haven't seen a better implementation of which is absolutely a shame, since there's so much you can do with this.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like im getting an itch for a management game but I'm having a hard time figuring out what exactly it is I'm looking for. Definitely leaning a bit towards something on the laid back side. I've had a lot of fun with Factorio (might just pick it back up again) - and I'm sort of just waiting for Satisfactory to drop on Steam. Factory Town was ok, but I just kinda fell off it at the mid-game. Tempted to get something a bit more in the city builder direction, but stuff like Cities Skylines wasn't quite enough for me. (Don't really care about balancing the budget, and freeplay started to feel a little aimless?)

I played Anno 2070 ages ago and kinda liked the hybrid of builder & supply chains (but the combat was lame) - how is Anno 1800? I haven't payed much attention to the series after 2070 cause I don't really like the "old times' setting as much. (There's just something that tickled me about having to supply my population with burgers.)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Anno 1800 is a good game. If you already know you like Anno games, it is a very good game.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Oxyclean posted:

I feel like im getting an itch for a management game but I'm having a hard time figuring out what exactly it is I'm looking for. Definitely leaning a bit towards something on the laid back side. I've had a lot of fun with Factorio (might just pick it back up again) - and I'm sort of just waiting for Satisfactory to drop on Steam. Factory Town was ok, but I just kinda fell off it at the mid-game. Tempted to get something a bit more in the city builder direction, but stuff like Cities Skylines wasn't quite enough for me. (Don't really care about balancing the budget, and freeplay started to feel a little aimless?)

I played Anno 2070 ages ago and kinda liked the hybrid of builder & supply chains (but the combat was lame) - how is Anno 1800? I haven't payed much attention to the series after 2070 cause I don't really like the "old times' setting as much. (There's just something that tickled me about having to supply my population with burgers.)

You might actually like 2205, the combat is entirely optional and it has the futuristic setting that you prefer. The gameplay is a little different from the rest of the Anno games though so you may want to look up some reviews to see if it's the sort of thing you'd be interested in.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Thanks everyone, lots of good info here. This thread moves really fast!
I didn't want to waste everyone time by listing all the games i have played but i ended up wasting peoples time by getting suggestions for games i have already played instead.

Basically i have played

*All the city-walker games (casesar, 2, 3, 4, pharao, zeus, E:ROTMK, + their expansions
*Children of the Nile
*The bunch of Casesar 4 clones that released at the same time (civ cities rome, glory of the roman empire, + a few more?)
*The first few ANNO games (1503 and 1602?)

Modern setting like
*Cities Skylines
*Everything Sim City except the newest one
*Some sort of star base city builder

"Survival-builders" like
*Dawn of Man (pretty fun but i feel done with it)
*Banished (pretty fun but i feel done with it)
*Ostriv (waiting for more content)

Tycoon games
*TTD (What i like about this is building giantic networks with thousands of trains)
*Mashinky (waiting for more content)
*Transport Fever and a few other similar ones (pretty boring, not my style at all, i want to build gigantic ro-ro stations that handle 300 trains a minute not design a single track with 1 train but be able to pick the hair color of the conductor)

I have read up on all the new ones, to my knowledge (by watching "city builders coming in 2020" videos on youtube), like
*Industries of Titan (does not appeal to me)
*Aztec Empires (this looks interesting)
*Ancient Cities (holy poo poo give this to me now)
*2 different post apocalyptic ones (no thanks)

Anno 1800 also being available elsewhere is interesting, i might pick that up. How is the DRM when you buy the game standalone? I've heard some pretty worrying things about Ubisoft DRM.
Will also have a look at Grand Ages Rome

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I see you like transportation, have you considered Workers and Resources comrade?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ineptitude posted:

Anno 1800 also being available elsewhere is interesting, i might pick that up. How is the DRM when you buy the game standalone? I've heard some pretty worrying things about Ubisoft DRM.
Will also have a look at Grand Ages Rome

It mainly just wants Uplay active when you run it. Far, far less obnoxious than 2070's integration was. If anything it will let you run without Uplay but you can't earn Uplay credits to unlock shiny new park squares...and you can't place down any unlocked cosmetic park tiles.

Anno 2205 is also fun and cool in its own unique way but I'd honestly just call it "Anno Lite" in several ways. The instant notification on your production is honestly pretty awesome, and I do like the setting and story (other than loving Cobra Commander who can apparently field an infinite navy against you on Earth from his base on the Moon, but you can set it up so after a few story beats you ignore him until you need to give his navy swirlies for rare materials). However 2205 makes perhaps one of the biggest sins for Anno: there's hardly any cosmetic tiles and the cities get incredibly same-y.

However it also served as the prototype for several of the features of 1800. Such as the workforce system, running multiple regions, etc. Also 2205's Jorgenson actually has a spine and isn't some overly friendly idiot (he's still friendly and a chill dude).

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Have you played The Guild. It’s a sort of Grand Strategy, but you play a dynasty in the Middle Ages. You choose a profession: baker, craftsman, priest, robber, etc and you get married, have kids and make them into members of society too.

The town that you’re in also has rival families, and there’s also the politics of the town council. Which you can set up for a bit of nepotism and then you can rule without fear of reprisal.

I really enjoyed it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've put a ridiculous amount of hours into The Guild and absolutely love it but I wouldn't call it a city builder in any way. More of a business and dynasty game. While you can construct buildings you have no direct control over the town itself.

Ineptitude posted:

Thanks everyone, lots of good info here. This thread moves really fast!
I didn't want to waste everyone time by listing all the games i have played but i ended up wasting peoples time by getting suggestions for games i have already played instead.
This feels extremely familiar. :v:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Just picked up Anno 1404 from GOG after not playing it since, what, 2009? Nearly got choked up from the nostalgia, this game is so drat good

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oodles posted:

Have you played The Guild. It’s a sort of Grand Strategy, but you play a dynasty in the Middle Ages. You choose a profession: baker, craftsman, priest, robber, etc and you get married, have kids and make them into members of society too.

This sounds great, and I apparently have The Guild/Guild 2 and it's expansions but don't remember anything about them, do they still hold up? Should I skip to 2 or is the first still the best?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

Just picked up Anno 1404 from GOG after not playing it since, what, 2009? Nearly got choked up from the nostalgia, this game is so drat good
There are some unofficial patches and mods for it too.

explosivo posted:

This sounds great, and I apparently have The Guild/Guild 2 and it's expansions but don't remember anything about them, do they still hold up? Should I skip to 2 or is the first still the best?
That is mostly up to personal preference but I would say the first Guild is the superior option by far. I think the Guild2 expansions are like standalone and one of them is the one to play. If memory serves it was Renaissance?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yeah, Guild 2 Renaissance is the one, since it came out 3 years after the last expansion it would have had more modern touches and added complexity. Guild II + Pirates was very bare bones if I remember rightly and the game loop did not have a lot of difficulty once you got used to the mechanics.

The Guild was made during that time of awkward PC UI interfaces so manipulating it is unintuitive and takes some time to get used to. But if you play your cards right you can wipe out the other dynasties through repeatedly winning musket duels that you set up by applying some perfume you concocted in your herb business that makes them irrationally angry, all within the first generation of your bloodline.

It does crash and has terrible display dimensions for a modern OS, unfortunately.

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

To me it's by far the city builder that lets you make the most visually pleasing cities.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Play Startopia!

Well really everyone should play Startopia. And Evil Genius but only the GoG version.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Pornographic Memory posted:

To me it's by far the city builder that lets you make the most visually pleasing cities.

Have you tried 1800? 1800 has amazing screenshots and cities, especially with the Botanica DLC.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Ineptitude posted:

"Survival-builders" like
*Dawn of Man (pretty fun but i feel done with it)
*Banished (pretty fun but i feel done with it)
*Ostriv (waiting for more content)

Gonna plug ‘pick up the complete Surviving Mars edition if you find it on sale’ again, when you’re learning it, it is very survivalish, then it has an organic and designed transition into building bigger and bigger dome cities.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Turns out i bought Anno 1404 at an earlier occasion!
First impressions are great, graphics are good and production values are high.

Unfortunately this game does the cardinal sin that these games absolutely must not do (why the gently caress do so many of these games gently caress this up) It is possible to gridlock yourself out of a certain resource and not be able to recover.
I ran out of tools like 10 minutes into the game.
To be able to build tools myself i need 240 citizens to unlock the tool building as well as a large amount of tools to actually build the tool building itself (The problem is already obvious here but it gets much worse):
The building required for the tool supply chain also all require tools
Getting citizens require tools for them to upgrade their house. These building alone require more tools than what you start with (!)
You need to trade for tools, but you don't have any ships you can use to trade with.
You can set up a "buy" trade route for the tools and wait for the "friendly introduction NPC" to arrive with his trading ship

So i set up a trade route and waited, and waited, and waited, and held down the "speed up" button for ~5 minutes and he finally arrived. And sold me 10 tools (i need like 20 just for the tool production supply chain)
So i had to wait for another while. A long while.
Meanwhile my citizens ran out of cider and downgraded to peasants.
The trader NPC finally arrived, and sold me 7 tools...
I have enough tools to build the quarry, but its on the other side of the island so i need to daisy chain warehouses to expand my construction area, costing me a bunch more tools
My peasants are revolting because they don't have cider.
Luckily i had gotten just enough citizens to unlock the tool supply chain before running out of cider.
So i waited another long loving while, and started eyeballing the "exit game" button.
The trader NPC finally arrived, and sold me 6 tools. I needed 7 to be able to finally build all the buildings in the tool supply chain.
Exit game.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 7, 2020

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Ineptitude posted:

Turns out i bought Anno 1404 at an earlier occasion!
First impressions are great, graphics are good and production values are high.

Unfortunately this game does the cardinal sin that these games absolutely must not do (why the gently caress do so many of these games gently caress this up) It is possible to gridlock yourself out of a certain resource and not be able to recover.
I ran out of tools like 10 minutes into the game.
To be able to build tools myself i need 240 citizens to unlock the tool building as well as a large amount of tools to actually build the tool building itself (The problem is already obvious here but it gets much worse):
The building required for the tool supply chain also all require tools
Getting citizens require tools for them to upgrade their house. These building alone require more tools than what you start with (!)
You need to trade for tools, but you don't have any ships you can use to trade with.
You can set up a "buy" trade route for the tools and wait for the "friendly introduction NPC" to arrive with his trading ship

So i set up a trade route and waited, and waited, and waited, and held down the "speed up" button for ~5 minutes and he finally arrived. And sold me 10 tools (i need like 20 just for the tool production supply chain)
So i had to wait for another while. A long while.
Meanwhile my citizens ran out of cider and downgraded to peasants.
The trader NPC finally arrived, and sold me 7 tools...
I have enough tools to build the quarry, but its on the other side of the island so i need to daisy chain warehouses to expand my construction area, costing me a bunch more tools
My peasants are revolting because they don't have cider.
Luckily i had gotten just enough citizens to unlock the tool supply chain before running out of cider.
So i waited another long loving while, and started eyeballing the "exit game" button.
The trader NPC finally arrived, and sold me 6 tools. I needed 7 to be able to finally build all the buildings in the tool supply chain.
Exit game.

You should be able to directly sail with your flagship to various NPCs who have higher amounts of tools to sell.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Volmarias posted:

That's a ridiculous copout. As someone who was a ~CoMmUtEr RaIlRoAd~ user for about a decade, platforms were decided by timetable, not necessarily line, and there were plenty of times when 2 minutes before arrival there's an announcement that whoops actually it's going to be platform 3 and several hundred people all rush to go to the other side of the tracks before their ride shows up.

I mean, same. But that's not how its supposed to work in the real world, it just happens due to any number of reasons, including signalling fuckups, trains being late, etc. The game doesn't model fuckups because its not fun.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Radiation Cow posted:

You should be able to directly sail with your flagship to various NPCs who have higher amounts of tools to sell.

I have no ships at all

There are various start options, some of them includes ships. Why do the no-ship options even exists if they almost make the game impossible to progress?

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 10:49 on May 7, 2020

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ineptitude posted:

I have no ships at all

There are various start options, some of them includes ships. Why do the no-ship options even exists if they almost make the game impossible to progress?
Difficulty settings. There is a ton of difficulty options to chose from. Also you should receive a flagship for free once you get citizens.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Ineptitude posted:

I have no ships at all

You can make a game of Anno basically as punishing as you care to, and that’s an option for someone who wants an arbitrarily punishing start.

The Sword of Toolcles is no longer a factor in more recent Anno games; whoever was insisting on maintaining that particular trap must have finally retired. Regardless, once you unlock a new pop tier in Anno the first thing you need to do is slam down a ton of construction goods production, you’re going to need that material to fill the upcoming consumer goods demand.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Hmmm, they just introduced Chernobyl Nuclear Power in Workers and Resources Soviet Union, might want to check it out if you own the game.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

Ineptitude posted:

I have no ships at all

You can set up purchase order in your dock and wait until NPC (or AI) ship comes to trade. Lord Richard's ships tend to sell tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

So which is harder/mathier Satisfactory or Factorio? I'm not great with math sadly :(