Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I just bought this desk from Monoprice:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=312&cp_id=31214&cs_id=3121403&p_id=15721&seq=1&format=2

I really like it, I already had a desk top from Ikea. It only only takes about 30 cranks from all the way down to all the way up. I'm 5'10" and at 25 cranks it about shoulder height.

I'd highly recommend it. It's available on amazon as well for a little more, but free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IRYWD4G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That sounds comparable to the workbench for comparisons sake. It comes with casters and nylon feet as well.

The Monoprice one does let you choose a different top, and gets rid of the cross bar that could be annoying (I like it as a foot rest).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I just bought this desk from Monoprice:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=312&cp_id=31214&cs_id=3121403&p_id=15721&seq=1&format=2

I really like it, I already had a desk top from Ikea. It only only takes about 30 cranks from all the way down to all the way up. I'm 5'10" and at 25 cranks it about shoulder height.

I'd highly recommend it. It's available on amazon as well for a little more, but free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IRYWD4G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Husky workbench goes down a couple inches lower than this Monoprice desk, which is actually a feature I was looking for rather than a higher upper end. This would have been an easy second choice for me, though.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I found these to be really helpful to make a DIY bar height desk:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030T1BRE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

That's pretty nice, but you only get the brackets. By the time you buy lumber, you'll be close to just getting the monoprice manual desk and getting a desktop from Ikea as-is.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Lawnie posted:

Hi folks, just wondering what the goon opinion on the many various manual (crank or pneumatic) and electric sit-to-stand desks that are available? I'm looking for something at least 54 inches wide, with a minimum height of 28.5 inches. I'm not concerned about the maximum height, it's much easier to raise a keyboard a few more inches than to lower it the extra inch or half an inch I have found I need below a standard 30 inch high desk.

I'd like to keep my budget under $500 but I feel like that's a pipe dream. The markup on these products seems extremely high to me!

When I was shopping for a standing desk, I didn't have too many options because I had to ship to Hawaii (and wanted a desk in white). I got this one off Amazon for $230 when it was in stock with free Prime shipping for a 70 lb package to Hawaii. Minimum height 28". The top comes in two pieces but it's pretty sturdy. I also sat on the table to test it and the motor is able to move 150 lbs up and down, no issues. It would also be trivial to replace the top with butcher block or something larger since the top just screws to the legs in several places. 100% recommended.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

ooh, i'm bookmarking this for when I redo my garage.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I went with the Husky 62 in. adjustable table. I'm really impressed with the quality of the top. The protector for the cross-rod was slightly bent, but I was able to bang it into place despite the slight warping. All in all I'm extremely happy with this for ~$300 brought to my doorstep.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Lawnie posted:

I went with the Husky 62 in. adjustable table. I'm really impressed with the quality of the top. The protector for the cross-rod was slightly bent, but I was able to bang it into place despite the slight warping. All in all I'm extremely happy with this for ~$300 brought to my doorstep.

Uhhhhh I wandered into this thread looking for ideas for a new desk in my new place and I'm going to do this because although I briefly looked at this work bench before, I didn't realize that one, the cross bar can be installed in the rear and two, the wheels are optional and there's leveling feet included which means I can leave the wheels out since it would live on a bedroom carpet....

Yeah...I'm going to do this.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 29, 2020

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Uhhhhh I wandered into this thread looking for ideas for a new desk in my new place and I'm going to do this because although I briefly looked at this work bench before, I didn't realize that one, the cross bar can be installed in the rear and two, the wheels attach into leveling feet which means I can leave those off since it would live on a bedroom carpet....

Yeah...I'm going to do this.

It even comes with the leveling feet already attached!

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

Many thanks to all the goons who helped me build my PC and pick my parts.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

meta² posted:

Tell me more about your Braun clock. That is a Braun clock, right?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

meta² posted:

Nice, have saved your partpicker list for my next PC build.

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

Ok Comboomer posted:

Tell me more about your Braun clock. That is a Braun clock, right?

There was an era in time when Helvetica flip clocks were pretty common. I have seen some vintage one's in Spanish, French, and English.

Mine come's from Karlsson https://www.amazon.com/Present-Time-Karlsson-Calendar-Clock/dp/B000OC09AU

They have a few cheaper alternatives that look nice. The quality isn't mind blowing, but you are never that up close and personal with a clock anyways.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

meta² posted:

What's that you put your headset on? A table lamp?

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

isndl posted:

What's that you put your headset on? A table lamp?

It's on my small table lamp. From this company: https://www.gantri.com/products/10058/word-table-light-by-dims.?c=snow&s=sm

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

meta² posted:

Looks great! What monitor and keyboard you got there?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

that kb doesn't seem to have arrow keys

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bobmarleysghost posted:

that kb doesn't seem to have arrow keys

Looks like a possible ducky mini, or something similiar. I worked with a dude that had a mini, with blank keycaps. Our company had a complex password requirement that required a couple special characters, and since on that keyboard getting a & or a $ required fn + shift + number key it was easy for him to mistype. He ended up getting locked up almost every week.

here it is in blank keys:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

i'm glad i don't hate myself enough to get a blank key/no arrow keys kb

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
But just think about the aesthetics!!

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

Monitor is LG 27UL850-W 27. Kinda wish it had a rectangular base.

The keyboard is a Anne II Pro.

The layout serves a purpose:
- I only use this PC for gaming. I don’t need a numpad or arrow keys to play.
- Having a shorter keyboard lets me keep my hands closer together when playing, gives me more comfortable ergonomics.

When I am working, I plug in my MacBook Pro through usb-c and switch to my Apple Magic Keyboard hidden in my desk.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Well that makes sense then.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

meta² posted:

uh how do you play commander keen and duke nukem then

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

meta² posted:

Talk about a comment that’s like laboratory-made to trigger a certain subset of PC gamers

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
That is a seriously nice mITX case. Makes me want to go back to mITX next build.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Ok Comboomer posted:

Talk about a comment that’s like laboratory-made to trigger a certain subset of PC gamers

Not to derail too much, but I'm curious what games you're talking about. First thing I thought of was roguelikes but almost every one of those has vim-like controls.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CRAYON posted:

Not to derail too much, but I'm curious what games you're talking about. First thing I thought of was roguelikes but almost every one of those has vim-like controls.

I mean, you don’t lose WASD— but a lot of people prefer arrows. And number keys often get mapped to different things. Gaming notebooks often have a history of being lauded for including 10-key, but that might be because those tend to be 17”.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

I mean, you don’t lose WASD— but a lot of people prefer arrows.

Who are these people exactly?

Aside from fringe groups of vintage gaming enthusiasts who exactly is using the arrows or numpad in a video game?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Deviant posted:

ooh, i'm bookmarking this for when I redo my garage.

One other option for a garage workbench is: https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-shop-table-kit-unpainted-bare-steel.html

I bought the bracket kit and then realized the workbench was built in, so the sellers certainly weren't taking it. It'll get used eventually, but it's pretty beefy.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

Aside from fringe groups of vintage gaming enthusiasts who exactly is using the arrows or numpad in a video game?

Me when I've got my feet kicked up onto a footrest to my right watching something on my 2nd screen to my right (basically my left side is nearly parallel with the desk) while I scroll around my Cities: Skylines Cityscape with my left hand on the arrow keys.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rudager posted:

Me when I've got my feet kicked up onto a footrest to my right watching something on my 2nd screen to my right (basically my left side is nearly parallel with the desk) while I scroll around my Cities: Skylines Cityscape with my left hand on the arrow keys.

Wait, what? I’m trying to picture this and all I see is somebody either splayed out in front of a desk sideways and/or like one of the pilot’s chairs from the ships in the Matrix. Like a dentist’s chair surrounded by displays.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

Wait, what? I’m trying to picture this and all I see is somebody either splayed out in front of a desk sideways and/or like one of the pilot’s chairs from the ships in the Matrix. Like a dentist’s chair surrounded by displays.

Probably about as elegant as that sounds, yes.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

The Lord Bude posted:

Hi it's me, I'm the weirdo that uses a mouse in my left hand and arrow keys to move. I remap everything to be clustered around that area. Use is always right shift, crouch is right control, reload is numpad 2. I've done this for over a decade and no one will stop me

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Numpad makes a pretty good set of keys for extra bindings without having to shell out for a keyboard with dedicated macro keys. At some point I realized most games support closing text boxes with keypad enter so I can hammer out short phrases and have my hands back in position faster (can hit kp_enter with right thumb without lifting my hand off the mouse).

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

meta² posted:

What kind of computer case is that? I couldn’t find your parts post unfortunately.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Xabi posted:

What kind of computer case is that? I couldn’t find your parts post unfortunately.

Yeah I know it looks like a drum or vase or something, pretty cool.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

looks beefy and sturdy, i like it

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

The Lord Bude posted:

People who have been stuck on arrow keys since early 2000's. Also, numpads are widely used as binds for other things in game (I use a numpad for CSGO buy binds). I have a small keyboard with a side numpad for this, since I'm not always playing CSGO, though.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Xabi posted:

It's this:

https://streacom.com/products/da2-chassis/

Never saw it before that post and now I really want one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

From a left handed mouse perspective the number pad makes a pretty good place for wasd like keys. Thumb can use 0 key for spacebar/jump. Pinky has access to enter key and plus key, etc etc.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 6, 2020