Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Great start to the day

Well it's certainly a sculpin. Not a cabezon, not a staghorn..... kinda big. I thought possibly a red irish lord but im kinda clueless. 11 inches.

No lingcod to be had. However the day was not a bust. I caught 4 sand dabs and cooked up, debonned it was 8 ounces of meat.

Lunch is served. Flounder cakes.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

:hellyeah: I'm really glad that the jigs performed to your liking! Hit me up if you ever need more. :tipshat:

That offer is open to all y'all, too. PM me if you need something that I can make. Hell, you don't even have to need it. PM me if you are even mildly interested in something that I can make.

Your dart head jigs are better then Trout and Crappie Magnets by far. They have a bit of flex, the hooks are sharp and fine. Everyone, give PoK more excuses to inhale lead fumes. His stuff is primo.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Your dart head jigs are better then Trout and Crappie Magnets by far. They have a bit of flex, the hooks are sharp and fine. Everyone, give PoK more excuses to inhale lead fumes. His stuff is primo.

:blush: aw shucks! I use Mustad hooks almost exclusively (except when I use Owner hooks :homebrew: ) so I'm glad that there's a noticeable difference. I used the red hooks for those, right? I'm super stoked that the shad dart form worked the way it was supposed to, also, given that you have field experience with jigs of that shape. I'm pretty sure I can make four different sizes of those bastards.

Here's the spreadsheet of the different stuff that I can make with the molds that I have. Seriously, do not be shy if there's anything there that I can make for you. Also, if you think making lures and/or tying flies is interesting, there is a thread for that too.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

LingcodKilla posted:

No lingcod to be had. However the day was not a bust. I caught 4 sand dabs and cooked up, debonned it was 8 ounces of meat.
First off, you gotta change your forums name now. DabKilla69 is available.

Looks good. Those little flatfish are tasty.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Delicious over collard greens

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dik Hz posted:

First off, you gotta change your forums name now. DabKilla69 is available.

Looks good. Those little flatfish are tasty.

Bah I tried pretty hard but between the current ripping by me and the boats causing vortexes it was really hard to stay on the reef.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

LingcodKilla posted:

Great start to the day

Well it's certainly a sculpin. Not a cabezon, not a staghorn..... kinda big. I thought possibly a red irish lord but im kinda clueless. 11 inches.

drat I want to be out on that water. That's a Pacific staghorn sculpin I believe but we've always called them bullhead.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

drat I want to be out on that water. That's a Pacific staghorn sculpin I believe but we've always called them bullhead.

It's actually not. I'm extremely familiar with ye old staghorns. I'm almost 99% certain this is a Buffalo sculpin. The staghorn has boring olive coloring, narrow snout and the horns look more like moose horns being flat and wide.

Buffalos can change their colors very quickly and
are superb at making themselves look like a coralline algae-encrusted rock. They have a huge pair of
spines on the preopercle and a series of large bony
plates along the upper part of the back. The snout is
blunt and steep, much more so than that of a great
sculpin. Maximum length 371 mm (14.5 in).

https://www.molamarine.com/sculpins%203.pdf

ID'ing fish you catch is half the fun.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I got my first blow-up on a topwater today and was so surprised and excited that I completely forgot to set the hook. Whopper plopper owns.

Throwing a 6" keitech on a heavy pitching setup owns less and is a bastard coated bastard with bastard filling to get set up right.

Spotted two absolutely chonky bois up shallow looking for spawning bluegill in a pond, but by the time I spotted them, I had nothing appropriate to toss to them. And I got confirmation that the pond I was fishing is owned by the local mine and they do regular patrols through the area. Gonna have to figure out how to formally request access.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Elmnt80 posted:

I got my first blow-up on a topwater today and was so surprised and excited that I completely forgot to set the hook.

I've never had a blow up, just swirls after I rest motion and I'm like, "Where's my lure?" And then my lizard brain kicks in.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

We're supposed to get a cold snap down below freezing Friday morning to low 40s saturday to mid 50s sunday. I was considering trying to get out to a local park pond thinking the cold would keep people away, but is there any point in going looking (the lake apparently has bluegill, bass, catfish, and stocked trout) when it's that cold? I unfortunately don't know anything about the topography underwater or how deep it gets.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

the yeti posted:

We're supposed to get a cold snap down below freezing Friday morning to low 40s saturday to mid 50s sunday. I was considering trying to get out to a local park pond thinking the cold would keep people away, but is there any point in going looking (the lake apparently has bluegill, bass, catfish, and stocked trout) when it's that cold? I unfortunately don't know anything about the topography underwater or how deep it gets.

Air temp changes over such a short time frame won't really affect the fish much. maybe they'll go a little bit deeper, but i dunno. in the north, those cold snaps happen all the time and doesnt affect fish, but maybe it doesn't translate well other places.

Either way, get out and find out!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

LingcodKilla posted:

Great start to the day

Lunch is served. Flounder cakes.

What's your fish cake recipe?

In other news, the very strong rumour is that some of the Covid restrictions here will be eased on Monday so we'll be allowed to go fishing again.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Kayak Goons, how are you rigging your boat? I see a lot of people with big cases behind them, milk crates and such and a lap bag.

My weekend fishing plans have been dashed as we got snow last night and snow coming tonight.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I plastic welded a couple of milk crates together (or rather, a milk crate and half another milk crate) to make a box that neatly fit the rear storage area. I've attached a couple of rocket launcher style rod holders to the outside of the crate for rods.

Something I had on my old kayak which was quite handy was a large insulated deck bag that sat on the bow for putting fish in. That part of the yak is fairly hard to reach for most things so it's usually wasted space but you could quite easily poke fish into the bag and keep them cool with some ice.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Got dinner for tonight:

Two blues for the dogs (they love fresh fish), a whiting for breading and fry, and pompano for poke bowls.

Today was a mishmash with a bit of everything. Lots of undersized whiting and pompano. A beautiful ladyfish that was a fun fight and dozen porgies that must be congregating near the breakers. I got a Penn cheap model new reel and had to put a new eye on one of the surf rods. All worked out well. That blue on the left twisted a hook into bits and finally severed it off the rig. As I've noted before, when we get a bumper run of blues I make jerky dog treats with them. When there's only a couple I'll cook them for the dogs as a topper to their dinner.

King of Bees fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 8, 2020

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I loves ya, Pompano

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

King of Bees posted:

Two blues for the dogs (they love fresh fish), a whiting for breading and fry, and pompano for poke bowls.

When you do poke from your own catch do you deep freeze or are parasites not an issue for the fish you're catching?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Not really an issue in that Ive ever read about in wild pomps but I suppose they could be there. Nobody I've ever known has got one. But there's always a first. I'd be far more worried with the farmed Asian ones. Regardless, it's the only fish we eat fresh raw from the surf.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
A goatse made of the finest cheese, sausage and dreams.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Oops, wrong thread! I'm gonna leave it though

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

King of Bees posted:

A goatse made of the finest cheese, sausage and dreams.

Well, that's dinner solved.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Sounds like killer catfish bait

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Hooplah posted:

Air temp changes over such a short time frame won't really affect the fish much. maybe they'll go a little bit deeper, but i dunno. in the north, those cold snaps happen all the time and doesnt affect fish, but maybe it doesn't translate well other places.

Either way, get out and find out!
I disagree. Cold fronts shut down freshwater fish, espcially in shallow lakes and ponds.

It's still worth it to go fishing, though. It always is.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Yooper posted:

Kayak Goons, how are you rigging your boat? I see a lot of people with big cases behind them, milk crates and such and a lap bag.

My weekend fishing plans have been dashed as we got snow last night and snow coming tonight.

I have a milk crate as well. I have rod holders attached to the back of it and a retractable clothesline attached to the side for an anchor line (I pulled out the clothesline and replaced it with paracord.) I need to get an anchor trolley set up this year but I really only fish calm water so it's more an issue of convenience (facing the direction I want to face when it's windy) than safety. I also want to get some decking installed, maybe some magnets near my seat for tools, and a fish finder. Oh and I cheaped out on the paddle so probably a paddle too.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

My wife and I are thinking about getting a boat, we love the kayaks but a boat sounds like fun. The the only downside is the biggest vehicle we have has a 1750 lb tow capacity which is not very much.

Anybody know of a good 3-4 person boat and trailer package that would come in around 1600 lbs or so? Fishing out of it would be awesome and I'm not worried about speed, something for the family to play on.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Got the boat out for her maiden voyage this morning, it was a perfect day. Water was calm, not too cold. Fish were jumping all over the ramp.

got about 50 yards from the ramp before my battery died

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I'm bored with quarantine and shelter in place. If any of y'all have good fishing stories, please share them.

For content,

The first trout I ever caught on the fly was the dumbest trout in the stream. I got into fly fishing when I was going through depression and needed an outlet. But because I wasn't working and flat broke, I had hand-me-down gear and knew nothing. I flailed mightily at the water next to my grandparents' old house in southeast Minnesota. I fished that stream many times as a kid with bobber and worm and caught a couple trout. Trout Unlimited had down their "restoration" and turned it into a trout theme-park. I've always preferred more natural spaces, but that stream has a special meaning to me. Anyways, I was skunked twice in a row, and my third attempt at fly fishing wasn't looking much better. I got to a promising hole underneath a natural limestone spring. A tree hanging over the hole dangled over a dozen lures testament to the failed aspirations of past casters. Fortunately, I wasn't skilled enough at fly casting to reach the tree. I cast out a gaudy over-sized dry fly that is common in the boxes of new fly-fishermen. A 12" brown rose to the fly, refused it twice on the drift, and then came back and hit the fly. I overcame my amazement and successfully landed him. Saute'ed that mo'fo' in lemon butter and served him over wilted watercress to my equally amazed parents. And thus, began my journey in fly-fishing.

Pro-tip: If your buddy who can cast offers to teach you how to cast flies, swallow your pride and take him up on his/her offer. It'll shave 2 years off you learning how to actually cast a fly.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Rythe posted:

My wife and I are thinking about getting a boat, we love the kayaks but a boat sounds like fun. The the only downside is the biggest vehicle we have has a 1750 lb tow capacity which is not very much.

Anybody know of a good 3-4 person boat and trailer package that would come in around 1600 lbs or so? Fishing out of it would be awesome and I'm not worried about speed, something for the family to play on.

I have an aluminum boat, an '88 bass tracker guide special

She comes in somewhere around your weight limit and you see them often online for less than $2,000.

Mine will fit 3 people but it's really better with 2.

E: Just wanted to add that until I got sick I worked in a factory building very expensive fiberglass boats. That is why, when it came time to buy my own boat, I chose a very cheap aluminum one

titties fucked around with this message at 10:38 on May 12, 2020

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Dik Hz posted:

I'm bored with quarantine and shelter in place. If any of y'all have good fishing stories, please share them.

I used to go to Lake Superior with my grandfather every spring. It would be him and his buddies with colorful nicknames like "Ace", "Bunny", "Sweet Lips", and "Chikkie". They would fish some in boats but mostly puttered about and fished the river. One day I was fishing in the river and someone commented to Ace that he should tell me to get out of the river. Ace replied that he should go gently caress himself.

This particular river had a weir that you weren't allowed to fish at as the steelhead stacked up. So of course the old-timers sent me to fish there because no DNR officer would ever give a kid a ticket... Mostly my time was spent crawling over the rocks in the biting April wind and hoping we could go out in the boat. On days when it was too cold I'd be stuck inside the rental cabins with no TV's and shelves lined with Readers Digest Condensed Books. Eventually I dug into the books and every time I hear a robo-weather forecast it brings me back to those musty old cabins.

I always heard stories of fisherman from years past who had gone missing or drowned on Lake Superior. As a kid it was like old ghost stories. Then Bunny's boat was swamped. He went over the side into Lake Superior in mid April. They found his body a few months later. It was the last year my grandfather fished up there.

titties posted:

E: Just wanted to add that until I got sick I worked in a factory building very expensive fiberglass boats. That is why, when it came time to buy my own boat, I chose a very cheap aluminum one

I'd like to hear more about this.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

^^^^^ So would I.

We are a family of 3 and leaning toward the aluminum bottom boats, maybe a fancy John Boat or a nicer one with bench seats that I can install nice swivel seats.

The boat is actually my wife's idea but she is looking at $20k Boston Whalers that we could never pull. Not sure how easy it's going to be selling her on a boat in our weight range with basic to medium creature comforts.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Yooper posted:

I used to go to Lake Superior with my grandfather every spring. It would be him and his buddies with colorful nicknames like "Ace", "Bunny", "Sweet Lips", and "Chikkie". They would fish some in boats but mostly puttered about and fished the river. One day I was fishing in the river and someone commented to Ace that he should tell me to get out of the river. Ace replied that he should go gently caress himself.

This particular river had a weir that you weren't allowed to fish at as the steelhead stacked up. So of course the old-timers sent me to fish there because no DNR officer would ever give a kid a ticket... Mostly my time was spent crawling over the rocks in the biting April wind and hoping we could go out in the boat. On days when it was too cold I'd be stuck inside the rental cabins with no TV's and shelves lined with Readers Digest Condensed Books. Eventually I dug into the books and every time I hear a robo-weather forecast it brings me back to those musty old cabins.

I always heard stories of fisherman from years past who had gone missing or drowned on Lake Superior. As a kid it was like old ghost stories. Then Bunny's boat was swamped. He went over the side into Lake Superior in mid April. They found his body a few months later. It was the last year my grandfather fished up there.
Lake Superior is fishing hard mode in every sense. Especially on the north shore. Every year they have to rescue idiots who drive out onto moving ice floes and lose their connection to land.

Growing up in Minnesota, I'm quite familiar with musty north shore cabins. Good times.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

Dik Hz posted:

Lake Superior is fishing hard mode in every sense. Especially on the north shore. Every year they have to rescue idiots who drive out onto moving ice floes and lose their connection to land.

Growing up in Minnesota, I'm quite familiar with musty north shore cabins. Good times.

My buddy invites me to go ice fishing on the Big Lake every winter and I always turn him down because I've heard all about ice anglers getting trapped on a floating ice sheet.

I do want to shore fish Superior some day though. I've got a big old surf rod on back order so I'm hoping to bust that out this summer. Also this is going to be the year I fish some North Shore rivers for Pink Salmon (I've been saying this the past 3 years now).

Mukulu fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 12, 2020

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Mukulu posted:

Also this is going to bear the year I fish some North Shore rivers for Pink Salmon (I've been saying this the past 3 years now).
Pull the trigger and do it!

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

Dik Hz posted:

Pull the trigger and do it!

This will be the year, I swear! I'm eyeballing the Baptism River so I might try to make a weekend out of it and camp there in early to mid-September.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Mukulu posted:

Also this is going to be the year I fish some North Shore rivers for Pink Salmon (I've been saying this the past 3 years now).

I was sitting here thinking, "this isn't an odd-numbered year, the humpies aren't going to run," but then I realized that pink salmon aren't all sea-run. :v:

Yooper posted:

gently caress. :( This poo poo is way too common. Please wear your PFD on boats, everyone.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Here's a fish story not about fish and only somewhat about me. My family was in a road trip out west (Yellowstone area) and we were camped out by the snake river, but not on the river, we were a ways away across the street from a rodeo. There was also a creek running past, so dad, my sister and I went to go fish in the creek. I left early (I was probably annoyed, upset, bored, a mix of all three, I was a kinda petulant kid) and went back to the camper. After I left, dad and my sister kept hanging out and out of nowhere, all the rodeo horses showed up to hang out at the creek. My dad and sister got to hang out with them and pet them. I was soooooooooo mad when they came back and told me about it. I'm still mad about it.

And of course dad had the camera.

I resolved then to be more patient while fishing, lest I miss out on something cool like that again.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Rythe posted:

^^^^^ So would I.

We are a family of 3 and leaning toward the aluminum bottom boats, maybe a fancy John Boat or a nicer one with bench seats that I can install nice swivel seats.

The boat is actually my wife's idea but she is looking at $20k Boston Whalers that we could never pull. Not sure how easy it's going to be selling her on a boat in our weight range with basic to medium creature comforts.

Alumnimun boats are great for the price and the fact you can really beat them up.. in the PNW our beaches can have small rocks on it and I just drag mine over them above high tide. If you get some thick PVC you can roll it super easy solo. Swivel seats are a big step up from seat cushions.

A little whaler is NO DOUBT a sweet boat though it's just a different lifestyle. I honestly dont know if I would "like" a whaler more for the fishing I do. They're really fun to look at though and fantasize about at the boat shows

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Alumnimun boats are great for the price and the fact you can really beat them up.. in the PNW our beaches can have small rocks on it and I just drag mine over them above high tide. If you get some thick PVC you can roll it super easy solo. Swivel seats are a big step up from seat cushions.

A little whaler is NO DOUBT a sweet boat though it's just a different lifestyle. I honestly dont know if I would "like" a whaler more for the fishing I do. They're really fun to look at though and fantasize about at the boat shows

Unsinkable, planes super well. Very fishy. If I had the money it would be my first choice for a coastal skiff. On a river? No thanks, still to the aluminum hulls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Unsinkable, planes super well. Very fishy. If I had the money it would be my first choice for a coastal skiff. On a river? No thanks, still to the aluminum hulls.

Very fishy is a great line

Where my spot is low tide is so far out that bringing something down to the water to get to my buoy is a pain in the rear end and it's not sandy enough to want to leave a whaler on the beach so I'm stuck in this 100ft+ tidal stretch of no mans land. I can drag it solo like I said so it's a reasonable enough solution. I'd rather not drive to a boat launch if I can wake up and hit the beach from my front steps ya know?

Its carrying the 1970s evinrude I found at a garage sale on Mercer island (only used in fresh water a couple times!!!) that really isnt fun