Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Residency Evil posted:

I learned manual on a 1996 Jetta 2.0L, a car which I later learned was notoriously terrible for learning due to it's laughably low torque and incredibly high take-up point.

My instruction consisted of us going to a parking lot, and my dad having me practice moving the car in gear without using the gas, while yelling at me for moving too quickly every time I stalled the car.

I stalled a lot. :(
I learned on a 1995 civic (setting aside the brief foray into a 1980 VW golf), and I still think it was the easiest manual I've ever driven, despite the mere 108 hp or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

This exact conversation is taking place in the E9X M3 Facebook group and both conversations prove that everyone is a twat.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It is Facebook, what do you expect

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
It is SA, what do you expect

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It involves BMW owners, what do you expect?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

gvibes posted:

I learned on a 1995 civic (setting aside the brief foray into a 1980 VW golf), and I still think it was the easiest manual I've ever driven, despite the mere 108 hp or whatever.

Yeah Hondas are great. I remember my high school friend's Civic Si was a dream to drive.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yea same, i have driven some pretty good automated manuals but i don't think i would buy one. not because i think they're worse!!! i just don't prefer it

fknlo posted:

I learned on a stick and have never owned anything without a manual. It's just what I prefer.

My commute to work right now is super fun with a stick and zero traffic. In the summer with bumper-to-bumper traffic though?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
git gud

i drove in Boston traffic 40 mins - 1 hour every day, all stick. Slightly less in NoVA. now i don't commute.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

git gud

i drove in Boston traffic 40 mins - 1 hour every day, all stick. Slightly less in NoVA. now i don't commute.

I mean, yeah, sure, but I'm not going to pretend "There is no substitute" for shifting from first in to second back to neutral for an hour.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

I mean, yeah, sure, but I'm not going to pretend "There is no substitute" for shifting from first in to second back to neutral for an hour.

honestly just didn't notice, i don't know any better so it's pretty automatic (heyyooo)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Someone give me more ideas for cool billet parts I can make I am bored :)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah Hondas are great. I remember my high school friend's Civic Si was a dream to drive.

My commute to work right now is super fun with a stick and zero traffic. In the summer with bumper-to-bumper traffic though?

I generally don't work normal hours but also do my best to live places that avoid a commute. Not because I don't want to drive a stick in traffic but because sitting in any kind of stop and go traffic makes me want to put a gun in my mouth. I don't know how the gently caress people do it for hours a day.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

fknlo posted:

I generally don't work normal hours but also do my best to live places that avoid a commute. Not because I don't want to drive a stick in traffic but because sitting in any kind of stop and go traffic makes me want to put a gun in my mouth. I don't know how the gently caress people do it for hours a day.

I don't. Pre-pandemic, I took the train to work. Driving is awesome. Driving to commute in traffic is the worst.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Crunchy Black posted:

Your derails are bad and I'm also still alive and my car is just fine thx
What derail was that? I said "I like my BMW's transmission" in the BMW thread and you felt the need to drop a hard cool shitpost lmfao on me for having an opinion based on experience of ownership. I personally thought it was more amusing that you've been unknowingly driving your M2 in mmmmmEconomy mode for the last 3 months. I guess we shall disagree about which is funnier, just like we disagree about which transmission the car you don't own should have.

KillHour posted:

Anyone can drive a manual car if you put them in one and tell them it's their only way home. It's not some arcane magic knowledge.

I learned on my uncle's 1983 Saab Turbo. It took approximately 3 tries 30 years ago, I can't say with authority if the skill has gotten more complicated in the time since because all of my current manual cars are also 30 years old :(

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
The difference is I can laugh at myself about it, your takes *about transmissions in sport sedans, for christ sake* are immutable.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Who is real posting and getting mad I thought we weee all just having a lol with pals

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bape Culture posted:

Who is real posting and getting mad I thought we weee all just having a lol with pals

Me too!

I was just about to tell you to machine a better driver that won't crash your car this time

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

I was just about to tell you to machine a better driver that won't crash your car this time

:vince:

Residency Evil posted:

I don't. Pre-pandemic, I took the train to work. Driving is awesome. Driving to commute in traffic is the worst.

Ya, driving is awesome, having to drive is the worst. Not driving to commute makes my life so much better, and those weekend and evenings drives that much more enjoyable since I haven't spent hours in the car per week already.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I’m indestructible now anyway m8

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
You're a madman in the best way. LOL

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Two manual Celicas, an R6, and three 3 series, all manual. I like sticking to an ideal. That said, I subscribe to my Dad's approach - manual car, automatic in an van/truck/suv, I just haven't bothered to buy a bigger vehicle yet.

Ether Frenzy posted:

You're a madman in the best way. LOL

This is the most accurate take in the last few pages.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Residency Evil posted:

I learned manual on a 1996 Jetta 2.0L, a car which I later learned was notoriously terrible for learning due to it's laughably low torque and incredibly high take-up point.

My instruction consisted of us going to a parking lot, and my dad having me practice moving the car in gear without using the gas, while yelling at me for moving too quickly every time I stalled the car.

I stalled a lot. :(

My first owned car was a 99.5 Jetta and I loved everything about that manual, to the point where I still compare everything to it, including BMWs, unfavorably :buddy:

No but seriously, what I enjoy is seeing how every manufacturer came up with their own wacky special way of doing the reverse lockout. VAG has the "mash the stick down into the gearbox and then it'll go into reverse" action. Lotuses and Minis and a bunch of other things have the ring you pull up. BMWs are "just push it real hard into the reverse slot till it feels like you broke it".

What I love is seeing how carefully all these high-end carmakers have refined the last vestige of the crude, mechanical, physical connection between your hand and the banging, clanking drivetrain into something that feels like a software switch. Whether you're squishing the knob down against a soft spring or lifting up a little annulus or whatever, it's one of the few pieces of purely mechanical UX engineering left in a car cockpit.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004
It will be fun to watch the BaT auction for this 2016 3er longroof:
2016 328iX M-Sport

M-Sport, 20k miles, AWD. Might it hit $30K??

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Bape Culture posted:

Can’t break a car if it breaks the wall first :thunk:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

Driver as crumple zone

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

thealphabetsez posted:

2016 328iX M-Sport

At least 32.5

I want to spend stupid money on stupid poo poo I'm bored in quarantine. It's either new phone, new laptop, new car, new house, or some combination thereof.

Chaos option all of the above.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

thealphabetsez posted:

2016 328iX M-Sport

lol, embrace the void and buy a CUV already

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

lol, embrace the void and buy a CUV already

Don't tell me how to live my life!! :arghfist:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

thealphabetsez posted:

2016 328iX M-Sport

Based on what I paid for my (less kitted out with more miles) 2016 F31, $30k easy. Though mine was a dealer price, not private sale.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

thealphabetsez posted:

2016 328iX M-Sport

2016, so a bit old, but decently optioned. Still, shouldn’t go above 30k.

Which means it’ll hit 38 and I’ll second guess myself about not spending 45k on that brown 2018.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Bape Culture posted:

Not going to the strut towers? Either way Oh hell yes. Those double A-pillar bars are slick.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

Not going to the strut towers? Either way Oh hell yes. Those double A-pillar bars are slick.

Not at the moment. Requires too much time and investment because of ABS and electrical box placement. Might build a nice hardcore Gucci strut bar though

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
tom ford is making the coolest strut bars this year mate

https://www.tomford.co.uk/painted-swirl-atticus-cocktail-jacket/11NY40-642R40.html?dwvar_11NY40-642R40_color=BWH

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

This thread is as chaotic as the world right now.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Might literally design it with a big gold T at either end for a bit of fun tbh

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

BMW Thread: little annulus

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...20Non%20Openers

:sigh:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

on the one hand i was like "god damnit" on the other i dont think there is a new bmw model that really appeals to me, they are all very compromised.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

oh whee let me go to loving Spartanburg to take delivery of my new X7 that sounds like a fuckin blast

gently caress this stupid brand and also all automakers

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

oh whee let me go to loving Spartanburg to take delivery of my new X7 that sounds like a fuckin blast

Would the X7 qualify for Euro delivery anyway? Aren't those built in the US?

I feel as an auto enthusiast, I was born about 5 years too late.