Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I mean, Peacock is going to be similar to Hulu in terms of tiers, except Hulu no longer has a 'literally free' option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
Man this standoff thing is my favorite trope in film and games!

Can’t really add much except STRAW DOGS (the classic of course, but I don’t know where it streams).

Comedy options: home alone 1 and seven samurai/magnificent seven

The Purge 2,3 were the good pulpy ones? Haven’t seen them, are they siege-y like the first?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

cosmin posted:

The Purge 2,3 were the good pulpy ones? Haven’t seen them, are they siege-y like the first?

I think only the first was a siege. They are a guilty pleasure but also kind of watch and forget.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

cosmin posted:

Man this standoff thing is my favorite trope in film and games!

Can’t really add much except STRAW DOGS (the classic of course, but I don’t know where it streams).

Comedy options: home alone 1

Or Skyfall, the James Bond version of Home Alone

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you enjoyed Waking Life or you like woowoo drugs and conversations, The Midnight Gospel is fantastic. Great animation too.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Deadite posted:

Or Skyfall, the James Bond version of Home Alone

That is extremely depressing

What’s the James Bond version of Taken :smithicide:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

That is extremely depressing

What’s the James Bond version of Taken :smithicide:

They all become taken at some point but I dunno maybe License to Kill? It’s straight revenge instead of uncovering some plot

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
For those that have been enjoying The Art of Self Defense I'd definitely recommend checking out the director's previous movie Faults. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnnbhJSX75U

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Art of self defense was good. Faults is good too.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

All the talk of The Midnight Gospel reminded me The Shivering Truth got a new season. It’ll probably be streaming on HBO Max at the end of the month but the first season and extras is on Adult Swim’s website. It’s a surreal horror show by Vernon Chatman who co-created the equally disturbing and bizarre shows Wonder Showzen, The Heart She Holler, and loving Xavier Renegade Angel.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

discworld is all I read posted:

For those that have been enjoying The Art of Self Defense I'd definitely recommend checking out the director's previous movie Faults. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnnbhJSX75U

That trailer took me on a real journey.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

discworld is all I read posted:

Oh hell yeah. I didn't notice that was the same guy

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What's the best digital storefront to buy DragonBall Z from? I can't decide between Amazon, Vudu, or YouTube. I know it's streaming on Funimation but I'm thinking it's the kind of thing I'd rather just pay for outright since I'll be rewatching it every few years for the rest of my life.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

That trailer took me on a real journey.

Don't worry it gives surprisingly little away even though a million things happen in it lol.

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
Any good basketball films or documentaries streaming on HBO GO/Netflix/Prime to fill the gaps between The last dance episodes?

30 for 30 on amazon is not available in europe, prime is pure poo poo here and misses a lot of content, I keep saying I will cancel it again but i keep it just for season 4 of the expanse which I haven’t gotten around to seeing yet

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Can someone explain the HBOs to me at this point? I have HBO through Hulu but now there's Max, which isn't out yet but costs the same as NOW and gives you access to NOW before it launches. Is it the same price? If so, what's the point of NOW if Max exists? Should I drop the Hulu add and just get Max directly since it'll give me NOW anyway? Still not sure what GO is about.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Chaotic Flame posted:

Can someone explain the HBOs to me at this point? I have HBO through Hulu but now there's Max, which isn't out yet but costs the same as NOW and gives you access to NOW before it launches. Is it the same price? If so, what's the point of NOW if Max exists? Should I drop the Hulu add and just get Max directly since it'll give me NOW anyway? Still not sure what GO is about.
I think they're just in the process of replacing the other apps (Go/Now) with Max.

IIRC Go was for cable subscribers and Now was for people subscribing directly but Max will combine these and add other content.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

cosmin posted:

Any good basketball films or documentaries streaming on HBO GO/Netflix/Prime to fill the gaps between The last dance episodes?

30 for 30 on amazon is not available in europe, prime is pure poo poo here and misses a lot of content, I keep saying I will cancel it again but i keep it just for season 4 of the expanse which I haven’t gotten around to seeing yet

Looks like Hoop Dreams is on HBO and Hulu, that's like the gold standard for basketball docs.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

Looks like Hoop Dreams is on HBO and Hulu, that's like the gold standard for basketball docs.

"Gold standard" is not even doing it justice. Please watch it.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

cosmin posted:

High Flying Bird is cool although it covers more of the business side of it.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Lenny Cooke is a doc by the Safdie Brothers (Good Time, Uncut Gems) that follows Lenny in high school as he navigates life and his promising basketball career. It's on Hoopla. One thing that I really appreciate about it is that they really let the events speak for themselves and let the audience come to their own conclusions. You get to see Lenny play with teenage Lebron, Carmelo, and others.

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
Thanks for all the recommendations!

I’ve seen Hoop Dreams like 5 years ago, I’d give it a rewatch but in Europe it’s not on HBO :(

And Lenny Cooke sounds fantastic but again it’s region locked on Prime video.

Don’t want to bore you with my woes, just illustrates the state of streaming in Europe. I pay for 3 subpar services, I cannot pay for the 4th even if I wanted to (disney+), FILES it is...

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

It's almost always the case now that I think of something I wanna watch and then find it's not currently on anything. Then like a month later I'm browsing Netflix or Amazon and there it is.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Jolo posted:

It's almost always the case now that I think of something I wanna watch and then find it's not currently on anything. Then like a month later I'm browsing Netflix or Amazon and there it is.

Ace Ventura is on Netflix

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Jolo posted:

Same, but add a step where I just break down and rent it on Amazon in the middle.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Same, but add a step where I just break down and rent it on Amazon in the middle.

I find it online and watch a 240p stream with terrible audio and subtitles I can't read.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Inspector Hound posted:

Ace Ventura is on Netflix

After you watch that, be sure to check out the sequel. No not that one. This one:

https://tubitv.com/movies/522088/ace_ventura_pet_detective_jr

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've got a 4K TV with a 4K Blu-ray player. I have a normal Chromecast and Roku hooked up to the thing. I also have an okay but not incredible internet connection. Is there any reason for me to upgrade to a 4K Roku if I don't have blazing-fast internet speeds to begin with?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Detective No. 27 posted:

What's the best digital storefront to buy DragonBall Z from? I can't decide between Amazon, Vudu, or YouTube. I know it's streaming on Funimation but I'm thinking it's the kind of thing I'd rather just pay for outright since I'll be rewatching it every few years for the rest of my life.

None of the above. The only decent options are on physical media, and the only complete decent option is the Dragon Box DVD set, which is way out of print and costs :retrogames:.

If it is available digitally, expect it to either be the janky cropped-and-blurred "orange box" transfer, or the even jankier "remaster" they did recently.

DBZ is one of those cases like the original cuts of Star Wars where it seems unlikely there'll be a decent non-:filez: way to watch it in the near future.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Jolo posted:

After you watch that, be sure to check out the sequel. No not that one. This one:

https://tubitv.com/movies/522088/ace_ventura_pet_detective_jr

Absolutely not

e like at least Nature Calls had the monopoly guy part

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I was legit shocked by Ace Ventura having not seen the original since its VHS release. The sequel got a lot more play on tv and for good reason, the original is dark as hell and uh that ending hoo boy.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

al-azad posted:

I was legit shocked by Ace Ventura having not seen the original since its VHS release. The sequel got a lot more play on tv and for good reason, the original is dark as hell and uh that ending hoo boy.

Yeeeaaaah, I'd see them come up with even a hammy and stupid alternative ending

"Einhorn is RETURNING TO THEIR HOME PLANET" [credits]

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

al-azad posted:

Lol now I have to watch it. I haven't seen it since it came out. All I remember is the rhino butt, that might have even been in the sequel idk.

The Cable Guy is also pretty dark.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Lol now I have to watch it. I haven't seen it since it came out. All I remember is the rhino butt, that might have even been in the sequel idk.

The rhino butt is the sequel which is like going from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to Secret of the Ooze in terms of tonal shift.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Secret of the Ooze is and has always been a terrific Bill & Ted style stoner film. But boy oh boy could it not be a bigger departure from the first.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Secret of the Ooze is and has always been a terrific Bill & Ted style stoner film. But boy oh boy could it not be a bigger departure from the first.

Wait till you see the third one

veni veni veni posted:

Rhino is an insanely funny prestige scene in the sequel. The ending of the first one was a little cringe worthy even at the time, but it's Eddie Murphy's Delirious levels now.

The Cable Guy rules and is a perfect film

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 7, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I thought we all agreed to deny its existence.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

I thought we all agreed to deny its existence.

Hey someone threw out Ace Ventura Jr. up there

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Operation Odessa is a crime doc from 2018 I’d never heard of, but it’s definitely worth 90 mins.

Early 90s Miami, cocaine & Russian submarines 👍🏻

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I realized recently that I never got around to watching Maniac on Netflix. Is that something that's worth going back and check out? I haven't heard anyone talk about it since it was first released with a ton of hype.