Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

With MLB stuck in limbo, live baseball on TV is BACK. ESPN is televising KBO games at insomniac times for US audiences, and since we're all baseball degenerates and the KBO is fun, we'll be watching. Let's take a quick look at how this works:

-Ten teams
-144 Game Season
-Universal DH
-Up to three foreign players
-Incredible Playoff Ladder System where the top five teams make the playoffs but only the lowest remaining seeds play each other. First place team gets a buy all the way to the championship series (best of 7) whereas a five seed that wants to win has to win four series in a row.
-Sick Bat Flips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKQskUmD_eY

ESPN has put together a complete crash course on the KBO here https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29124646/power-rankings-top-players-key-storylines-more-everything-need-kbo-opening-day A lot of stuff here is just stolen from there, so I recommend checking it out.

Here's a long and really good overview from Pitcherlist: https://www.pitcherlist.com/so-you-want-to-get-into-the-kbo/

Here's Mina Kimes with a long feature on KBO bat flips from a few years ago http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/17668845/korean-bat-flip

I have never really followed the KBO until now and I know there's knowledgeable people here, so please feel free to add stuff and correct stuff, but here's a quick overview of the teams that I'm basically cribbing from ESPN:

1. DOOSAN BEARS

The Rundown
Founding team in the KBO league in 1982. Play in Seoul and share a park with the LG Giants. Defending champs led by outfielder Jae-Hwan Kim.

Enjoyable fact I just found on their Wikipedia page

quote:

Mr.Doo Day is an event that started in the 2016 season which was specifically created to show the team's appreciation for their male fans and at the same time to encourage them to participate more when rooting for the team. "Mr.Doo Day" has discounted admission tickets and run a special fan service for male fans

Do they have any washed up Guys?
Not that I know of. American pitcher Josh Lindblom, the 2019 KBO MVP, signed with the Brewers.

2. Hanwha Eagles

The rundown
Won 1 championship in 1999. Play in the city of Daejeon. ESPN thinks they will suck this season.

Sentence from Wikipedia:

quote:

The club was renowned for their slugger bats from late 1990s to early 2000s, nicknamed as the Dynamite Bats after one of Hanwha's main business fields, explosives production.

Remembering Some Guys
Do you remember Australian pitcher Warwick Saupold who had a short and disastrous run with the Detroit Tigers? No? Well he's on this team.

3. Kia Tigers

The Rundown
Powerhouse team with 11 championships, but disappointed since winning 2017 championship. Managed by former Nationals skipper Matt Williams, lmao.

Sentence from Wikipedia
The Tigers controversially re-signed manager Sun to a new two-year deal with an annual salary of 380 million won (US$359,500) and a 300 million won signing bonus just days after the regular season ended. Irate fans swamped the club's website demanding the 51-year-old tear up his new contract.

Guys
Do you remember Preston Tucker? No? Well, they got him and a pitcher named Aaron Brooks who I think is most notable for finally getting a baseball Aaron Brooks after seeing the NFL and NBA versions. Notably traded for Chris Coghlan. They also have a Guy named Drew Gagnon who made an appearance for the Mets.

4. Kiwoom Heroes

The Rundown
The Heroes play in Seoul. ESPN has them as the top-ranked team. Their mascot is named Mr. Jaw:

Sentence from Wikipedia
During the 2008 season, Woori broke the naming sponsor deal, citing that the Heroes has not paid the full founding fee to the KBO yet, forcing the team to trade most of its star players for cash.

Guys

Star hitter Jerry Sands from the LA Dodgers left for Japan. Now they feature a former Cub who played when they were losing a kajillion games named Eric Jokisch. I don't even remember this guy to be honest.

5. KT Wiz

Rundown
Promoted to the top division in 2013. Play in Suwon.

Sentence from Wikipedia
Sorry nothing interesting here, KT Wiz need to more prolific Fan Editors

Guys
Pitcher William Cuevas made appearances with the Red Sox. Raul Alcantara is there, who was once part of a trade involving both Josh Reddick and Ryan Sweeney. Cuban pitcher Odrisamer Despaigne was four outs from a no-hitter with the Padres in 2014 before it was broken up by The Odious Daniel Murphy.

6. LG Twins

The Rundown
The Twins play in Seoul, sharing a park with the Doosan Bears. Known for choking in the playoffs. ESPN thinks they will be very good this year.

Sentence from Wikipedia
The team features prominently in the tvN drama Reply 1994, where the team's 1994 coach is a main character. The team is referenced under a different name, "Seoul Twins" (Korean: 서울 쌍둥이), due to trademark issues with the LG Corporation.

Guys

Hell yeah, this team has Guys. Ace pitcher Casey Kelly, who was traded along with Anthony Rizzo to the Padres from Boston for Adrian Gonzalez. Later he broke an MLB record by becoming the 15th starting pitcher used by the 2012 Padres. Former Orioles pitcher Tyler Wilson is also there.

7. Lotte Giants

Rundown
They play in Busan and are the top attendance team in the KBO. Last year's worst team. SAS fan favorite Dae-Ho Lee plays for them.

Sentence from Wikipedia
They are often called the Busan Seagulls (Korean: 부산 갈매기) because the official bird of the city of Busan is the seagull, and their main fight song is Busan Seagulls.

Guys

DAN MOTHERFUCKING STRAILY IS ON THIS TEAM. They also had a pitcher named Brooks Raley who signed a minor league deal with the Reds and I don't know if he's on the team but imagine Straily and Raley. Also, former Mariner and Ranger Adrian Sampson is supposed to be on the team, but can't get out of the US. But if you want guys, here is the best one: THEIR HITTING COACH IS JULIO FRANCO.

8. NC Dinos

Rundown
A relatively new team to the KBO that joined in 2011. Play in Changwon. Marcus Thames played for them. One of the teams that played opening night and their catcher Eui-Ji Yang rules. But here's the loving deal with them:

Sentence from Wikipedia:
While the dinosaur does have a Korean name, the Internet has taken to simply calling him Swole Daddy.

Guys
First baseman Xavier Scruggs didn't manage to stick on the Cardinals despite having a pretty decent Cardinals Name.

9. Samsung Lions

Rundown
Won four straight titles from 2011-14. According to ESPN, have had a bad run with international signings. Play in Daegu.

Sentence from Wikipedia
Nothing interesting here, sorry

Guys

Where are my Tyler Saladino fans? I can't tell you how happy I was to see him on TV this week. Also, former Philly Aaron Altherr is there. But here's an exciting Guy: former Ray Hak-Ju Lee who was traded there from the Cubs along with a zillion other guys for Matt Garza.

10. SK Wyverns

Rundown

Collapsed down the stretch last year. Top pitcher Kwang Hyun Kim signed with St. Louis. Play in Incheon.

Sentence from Wikipedia
On November 15, 2008, they were soundly defeated in a rematch with Uni-President 7-Eleven Lions of Taiwan (10–4) and failed to qualify for the championship game for a second straight year.

Guys
Jamie Romak was in a trade with both Adam LaRoche and Brett Lillibridge.

Schedule

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Why did the Giants steal the Twins logo instead of the Giants logo

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I said it before but it seems crazy to me that each team plays each other 16 times and they still bother with having playoffs

That being said, I look forward to the broadcasts being less terrible as I heard last night's was better

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Playoffs are fun and exciting

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Intruder posted:

Playoffs are fun and exciting

I am probably shell shocked by seeing playoffs inserted into a season format that pretty clearly establishes parity from being a NASCAR fan

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Obviously, I know jack poo poo about the KBO and I'm sure that some of the roster stuff is wrong and I'd love to hear from anyone who actually follow the league and knows any weird lore.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

Obviously, I know jack poo poo about the KBO and I'm sure that some of the roster stuff is wrong and I'd love to hear from anyone who actually follow the league and knows any weird lore.

Yeah that is what I am hoping comes out of the broadcasts more coming forward. I don't know why they got dudes who don't follow Korean baseball to commentate on Korean baseball. Its ESPN, surely they can find some dudes who know things.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm still letting my allegiance come to me but it's gonna be really hard to pass on the Giants

1) Sung Min Kim works for them
2) Their GM is an ex Cubs scout
3) Julio Franco

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm not entirely sure who to root for as my top team but I think I've narrowed it down to.

Doosan Bears: This is entirely because of all those Doosan heavy equipment commercials from MLB playoffs
NC Dinos: Swole Daddy

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Poque posted:

I'm still letting my allegiance come to me but it's gonna be really hard to pass on the Giants

3) Julio Franco

big dan straily fan here

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I saw there was a list of dudes who never won the title so I will pick from there

I like the moxie of the heroes being called the heroes

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
PitcherList also has a fairly extensive writeup of the KBO, including every team's best hitter/pitcher.

It also lists the Giants' best pitcher as Dan Straily, and I never thought I'd see the words "Best Pitcher: Dan Straily" arranged in that order.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sydin posted:

PitcherList also has a fairly extensive writeup of the KBO, including every team's best hitter/pitcher.

It also lists the Giants' best pitcher as Dan Straily, and I never thought I'd see the words "Best Pitcher: Dan Straily" arranged in that order.

that's a great write-up, adding it to the OP.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 6, 2020

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

OH poo poo HEE SEOP CHOI IS A COACH FOR THE KIA TIGERS

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

quote:

The Kiwoom Heroes, who started as the Sammi Superstars, went through several name changes, a full disbandment and refounding, and several location changes, and are now based in Seoul.

ok hell yeah this disaster of a franchise is totally my team

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 6, 2020

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

OH poo poo HEE SEOP CHOI IS A COACH FOR THE KIA TIGERS

Ok I've found my team, go Tigers

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Sydin posted:

This would probably be true of the SF Giants as well. :v:

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Posted this in the other thread but it applies here as well:

If anyone is actually trying to follow KBO more closely than the games being shown on ESPN, I found this reddit post that worked for me to watch today's Dinos game (and probably any other KBO game):

EDIT: Fixed URL:
https://i.reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/g7firq/how_to_watch_kbo_games_including_replays/

Aardvark Barber fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 6, 2020

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Aardvark Barber posted:

Posted this in the other thread but it applies here as well:

If anyone is actually trying to follow KBO more closely than the games being shown on ESPN, I found this reddit post that worked for me to watch today's Dinos game (and probably any other KBO game):

https://i.reddit.com/r/baseball/com...luding_replays/

You copied a link with a ... in it

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://i.reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/g7firq/how_to_watch_kbo_games_including_replays/

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

I fixed the link in the above post.

I was in a toss up between the Heroes and the Dinos, but the mascot and the fact that the team is owned by NCSoft, makers of the Guild Wars games, pushed me over the edge for the Dinos.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Are there openings for the games? Catching the replays and it just immediately starts with the first inning which is a bit jarring.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Dan Szymborski over at Fangraphs worked up ZIPS projections for the KBO. ZIPS likes the Heroes most, and the Eagles least.

Also, strongly leaning towards the Giants right now.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
lol this dude is choking up like 6" I love it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
And he singles

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Oh man, they have to pull this Twins pitcher soon.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TV Zombie posted:

Oh man, they have to pull this Twins pitcher soon.

He's getting lit up.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I mean at least this is something to watch but man, this is TERRIBLE baseball lol

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh cool HOTLANTA MAN here to give us terrible takes in an entirely different league.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

You could always watch stupid robot fighting league that was shown earlier last week.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
oh cool popete here to attack me for speaking an opinion.

I'm having fun watching it and it's cool to get another country's take on baseball but most of these dudes would be org filler in the majors so it's really hard to care

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's interesting a number of teams share stadiums. I wonder what home field advantage statistics look like when they play each other.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I haven't watched a whole lot but I don't think I've seen a gap double like at all, just bloops or errors. It's like every batter has been fed the "it takes two plays" ground ball mentality and is deathly afraid to really line or elevate pitches.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Popete posted:

It's interesting a number of teams share stadiums. I wonder what home field advantage statistics look like when they play each other.

Which teams share stadiums?

I wish they would just call the game and stop doing all these interviews. I also wish they’d show graphics of pitch location or something else besides these interviews.

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 6, 2020

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TV Zombie posted:

Which teams share stadiums?

I wish they would just call the game and stop doing all these interviews. I also wish they’d show graphics of pitch location or something else besides these interviews.

LG Twins and Doosan Bears and they are apparently pretty bitter rivals.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Broadcast way over emphasize the foreign players.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

3) Julio Franco

:same:

Too bad they don't get any of the ESPN broadcasts we currently have on DVR. :negative:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I enjoyed both the Bears and Twins more than either the Lions or Dinos.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I want to see the Giants because Dae-Ho Lee is my favorite Mariner of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
What are one's options for watching games other than those broadcast by ESPN?