Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
The girlfriend and I really enjoyed Penny Dreadful but were completely thrown by the last episode, we had to look it up to make sure it was actually over as everything about it seemed rushed and last minute like they'd been told the day before that they only had one episode left.
Watched the first episode of the new one (City of Angels) and it could be good. Or utterly confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Just finished up Fargo season 2. Was good but I think I liked season one better. Billy Bob Thornton was just so good.

Next up I think I’ll return to Better Call Saul since the entire season is out on Netflix now.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

cryptoclastic posted:

Just finished up Fargo season 2. Was good but I think I liked season one better. Billy Bob Thornton was just so good.

Next up I think I’ll return to Better Call Saul since the entire season is out on Netflix now.

I finished all 3 seasons of Fargo last weekend and season 3 is better than season 2 to me.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Finally finished the last season of homeland. Oh boy, it was a bit silly. Not as loving bizar as the real world of course.

It was also fairly well made and the pace was good, unlike most other seasons.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Watched the first episode of Amazon's Upload today and got hooked. Ended up watching all 10 episodes (they're 30 minutes) in one day. Never did that before.

Really enjoyed it. Just kept thinking....San Junipero.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

cryptoclastic posted:

In the US I only see 4 seasons of BCS on Netflix.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Silly Burrito posted:

Watched the first episode of Amazon's Upload today and got hooked. Ended up watching all 10 episodes (they're 30 minutes) in one day. Never did that before.

Really enjoyed it. Just kept thinking....San Junipero.

On ep 5 right now. Good show so far.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Agreed. :)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I'm at the same point. The budget is good, the characters are all enjoyable, and the plot is pretty fun, too. Great blend of comedy and drama with a nice scifi edge.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
We finished Upload last night and loved it. San Junipero meets The Good Place meets The Matrix.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Was coming here to post that. Upload is really good.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

We finished Upload last night and loved it. San Junipero meets The Good Place meets The Matrix.

...meets Scanners.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 3, 2020

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Been watching through the first couple episodes of Into the Night. It's plot hole city, but oh man, it's fun. It has some Lost influences for sure but nothing beyond flashbacks really. I'm glad this is a Belgian Netflix series rather than a bullshit show that gets CW'd on The CW. Haven't finished it yet though so we'll see.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So I've gotten back into watching Law & Order SVU from the beginning and while overall I like the show a lot, it definitely has some lemons, most of the time that manifests in an otherwise fine episode having a really lovely ending tacked on that ruins it(this is a common problem with Crime shows I've noticed), but the episode I just watched S2 E11 "Abuse" was just an amazingly lovely and depressing episode from start to finish

Also she probably gets better as the show goes on but right now I despise the Alexandra Cabot character, she's not only an unlikable jerk she's also amazingly incompetent at her job which is really frustrating considering every other main character is quite competent at what they do

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My girlfriend and I just finished the entire Dragon Ball saga. That's the original Dragon Ball, DBZ, and Super (we tried GT but it's horrible). There were ups and downs, but overall it was enjoyable. I know this isn't the anime thread but I recommend it if you want comedy adventure and see someone go from being a little kid to a grandpa through 700+ episodes. I am 40 years old and I met Goku with the NES game Dragon Power in 1986. It was nice to be able to get closure on a story line that I had opened 34 years ago.

Is there any other show that is epically long and also follows one main person as the star as they progress through life?

The only other media I can compare are fantasy books or maybe something like Les Miserable.

That's right, I just compared Goku to Jean Valjean.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Constellation I posted:

Been watching through the first couple episodes of Into the Night. It's plot hole city, but oh man, it's fun. It has some Lost influences for sure but nothing beyond flashbacks really. I'm glad this is a Belgian Netflix series rather than a bullshit show that gets CW'd on The CW. Haven't finished it yet though so we'll see.

I enjoyed it. It's trash, but fun trash. They put a hook for a 2nd season in which surprised me.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

An Ounce of Gold posted:

My girlfriend and I just finished the entire Dragon Ball saga. That's the original Dragon Ball, DBZ, and Super (we tried GT but it's horrible). There were ups and downs, but overall it was enjoyable. I know this isn't the anime thread but I recommend it if you want comedy adventure and see someone go from being a little kid to a grandpa through 700+ episodes. I am 40 years old and I met Goku with the NES game Dragon Power in 1986. It was nice to be able to get closure on a story line that I had opened 34 years ago.

Is there any other show that is epically long and also follows one main person as the star as they progress through life?

The only other media I can compare are fantasy books or maybe something like Les Miserable.

That's right, I just compared Goku to Jean Valjean.

If you like Goku & friends then do watch the new Dragonball Broly movie (2018) as it is the best dragonball material ever made, at least if you like PUNCHING:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CRdYsH7TRk

After this the real fight starts and it gets completely bonkers :allears:

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 4, 2020

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
I liked the original Dragon Ball series very much as a child, though I did watch it in French. The subsequent shows seemed more of a "who can make the biggest energy ball" contest to me. There were tons of anime shows on French tv in the 80s, they even made some of their own. I remember at one point they started airing Fist of the North Star which got through like half a season before someone caught on that though this may be a cartoon, it should probably not be broadcast to 8 year olds.

I gave Dispatches from Elsewhere a go. The premise seemed very promising and the first episode had some particularly strong moments, but they were few and I bounced hard off the main cast/characters. Started the second episode hoping it'd unfold into something less derpy but couldn't muster the will to stay focused on it.

I saw trailers for Upload a few weeks back and it didn't strike me as something I'd watch, but from the reactions in the thread I think I'll give it a try.

So bored.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

mllaneza posted:

In the US I only see 4 seasons of BCS on Netflix.

Season 5 episodes come out a couple weeks after the US air date here in Korea. Other parts of Asia as well I think.

Edit: crap! It’s only up to episode 9! The final episode won’t come out until May 12th!!! Here I was thinking I’d be clever and watch it all in one go, and I’m foiled by my own lack of attention to detail.

cryptoclastic fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 5, 2020

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Constellation I posted:

Seconding this show. It's very entertaining and with a bit of suspension of disbelief, it's totally fun and captivating. I got attached to most of the characters and felt the ending was fulfilling.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

go play outside Skyler posted:

Seconding this show. It's very entertaining and with a bit of suspension of disbelief, it's totally fun and captivating. I got attached to most of the characters and felt the ending was fulfilling.

So long as you accept it's mystery boxes all the way down, this is a great mindless watch.

Also, 1. the Italian isn't dead
2. the military totally threw the first group in jail

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Just finished season 2 of BCS. Indeed a very good show sirs.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Upload is as advertised: a good watch. It's got a decent pace, it's pretty witty, it's fairly upbeat and engaging... You'd think it'd be horribly derivative what with using a whole bunch of familiar elements from other shows, but it's actually got a unique feel to it. I did feel they could have added a little more to this season, plot wise; it's a bit too short, like a free sample, there's not a lot of satisfaction out of finishing it.

Still, I'll probably rewatch it at some point just for the details, because they put a lot in the background that is pretty funny.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Binging through Avatar, which I had never previously watched.

And which is pretty good, actually.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Meatgrinder posted:

Upload is as advertised: a good watch. It's got a decent pace, it's pretty witty, it's fairly upbeat and engaging... You'd think it'd be horribly derivative what with using a whole bunch of familiar elements from other shows, but it's actually got a unique feel to it. I did feel they could have added a little more to this season, plot wise; it's a bit too short, like a free sample, there's not a lot of satisfaction out of finishing it.

Still, I'll probably rewatch it at some point just for the details, because they put a lot in the background that is pretty funny.

It is great but it does feel like the first third or so of a seasons story.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Started season 2 of Dead to Me today. If there's a show with stronger tonal whiplash than this one, I don't know it.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Started season 2 of Dead to Me today. If there's a show with stronger tonal whiplash than this one, I don't know it.

Anytime I see that title I mix it up with the absolutely incredible tv series Dead Like Me

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I too always think people are talking about Dead Like Me when they talk about Dead To Me.

Also I might be suffering a stroke because I recognize no one in that cast photo.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

STAC Goat posted:

I too always think people are talking about Dead Like Me when they talk about Dead To Me.

Also I might be suffering a stroke because I recognize no one in that cast photo.

You totally recognize Mandy Patinkin. He's just got no facial hair for a change.

Also, mad at myself for taking so long to get to Banshee. Totally guilty pleasure show and man, shows in retrospect how The Boys nailed it in choosing Starr for Homelander

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
two episodes into Upload and I can't say I'm really feeling it so far

it doesn't seem to know what it wants to be, some of it is quite dark satire which is good but then it just falls into goofy comedy and lazy tropes

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I nearly started Upload last night as a breather between Hannibal seasons, but then I saw it was full length episodes, not 30 minutes and I hesitated.

I don't know why, the concept just feels more digestible as a sitcom to me.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The first episode is an hour and the rest are 30 minutes. Now whether it's worth watching depends on who you ask.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Sex Education is really fun so far. Awkward British teen's mom is a freewheeling sex therapist (and is also Gillian Anderson), and he ends up unwillingly becoming the sex therapist for his entire school despite being a huge dork who's too anxious to have ever masturbated. It's a good show in its own right but it also incorporates surprisingly good sex advice for teenagers/anyone really.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Quarantine has given me lots of rewatch time so in my quest to rewatch shows that I really liked up until the writers totally forgot how to wrap up a show in the last ten episodes I recently finished a rewatch of Battlestar Galactica. This time around I actually didn't mind the God Did It handwaving because it kinda makes sense if you go in knowing that the Cylons (or at least, the Sixes) are actually right the whole way through. The last five minutes are still an atrocity committed to film, though.

Next up on the Why Am I Doing This To Myself I Know How This Ends marathon: Sons of Anarchy. Currently almost through season 1 and I forgot how generally watchable this show is in the first bit. I thought it would be harder to watch because Mayans MC is an Actually Good Show and it plays out like Sons of Anarchy just not starring the dirty white boys and with real character development and interpersonal realizations that aren't tied back to a kid with fetal heroin syndrome.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I’m 2/3rds through a rewatch of The Leftovers and man it just gets progressively weirder and better as it goes on.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

showbiz_liz posted:

Sex Education is really fun so far. Awkward British teen's mom is a freewheeling sex therapist (and is also Gillian Anderson), and he ends up unwillingly becoming the sex therapist for his entire school despite being a huge dork who's too anxious to have ever masturbated. It's a good show in its own right but it also incorporates surprisingly good sex advice for teenagers/anyone really.

It's just a really really good show.the secondary characters are all fully fleshed out and have some time in the spotlight.at the end of the second season it really feels like a ensemble show , it's more than just the story of Otis and maeve.eric is loving awesome.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kazinsal posted:

Next up on the Why Am I Doing This To Myself I Know How This Ends marathon: Sons of Anarchy. Currently almost through season 1 and I forgot how generally watchable this show is in the first bit. I thought it would be harder to watch because Mayans MC is an Actually Good Show and it plays out like Sons of Anarchy just not starring the dirty white boys and with real character development and interpersonal realizations that aren't tied back to a kid with fetal heroin syndrome.
I started doing this a week ago but tapped out right before the baby gets kidnapped because I just didn't know why I just need to exercise more self care. And I mean like RIGHT before the baby gets kidnapped. Like I got 90% of the way through the S2 finale, remembered what was coming, and tapped out.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Been watching a lot of stuff during this quarantine.

First up was X-Men the animated series season 1.

Yikes that’s some janky animation! It’s alright I guess. Definitely a 90’s Saturday morning cartoon. Only saw a few episodes here and there as a kid so I’m not really watching this with rose colored glasses. It is hilarious to see wolverine get mad at cyclops, hop into his GI joe Jeep in full yellow spandex, and drive away.

Westworld seasons 2&3

Despite the narrative jumble it’s still a great show and I enjoyed season 3 as well. However I don’t like the man in black’s story arc. His character was cheated in season 3

Solar Opposites season 1

I like Rick and Morty, but while this is a good show it’s not as funny as Rick and Morty. Honestly I enjoy the wall storyline way better than what the show is actually about.

Better Call Saul season 5

This show continues to be the best show currently running on television. “I’m a god in human clothing!” scene was amazing! Also, Lalo is the best.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Raspberry Bang posted:

Westworld seasons 2&3

Despite the narrative jumble it’s still a great show and I enjoyed season 3 as well. However I don’t like the man in black’s story arc. His character was cheated in season 3

I remember reading Ed Harris wasn't a fan of his character this season either.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Raspberry Bang posted:

Been watching a lot of stuff during this quarantine.

First up was X-Men the animated series season 1.

Yikes that’s some janky animation! It’s alright I guess. Definitely a 90’s Saturday morning cartoon. Only saw a few episodes here and there as a kid so I’m not really watching this with rose colored glasses. It is hilarious to see wolverine get mad at cyclops, hop into his GI joe Jeep in full yellow spandex, and drive away.

With you on the animation, but also saw this recently and it was pretty impressive how ambitious the show was. Totally serialized storytelling wasn't really the usual at the time, and they really tossed in some elaborate and comics-inspired plots right off the bat with relatively little audience handholding for a kids' show. With a large cast including random references to people and events not actually appearing. Didn't really expect to see Deadpool in Logan's flashbacks, especially with him being brand new in comics at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Me and my 8yo son watched all 160 something episodes of Batman The Animated Series and it loving rules as hard as I remember it.