Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
They still joined the military, can't be that smart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Internet Wizard posted:

That's a surprisingly thoughtful approach from a woman who named their kid X AE A-12

I do like though how they are so out of sync on this but managed to have an "our favorite airplane"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I suspect Musk being out of sync with his company boards bleeds into his personal life habits. Probably sucks to be a board who wishes the CEO would shut up but also the CEO is integral to brand identity.

Plus one of the quickest ways to get Grimes pissed in public is suggesting Musk is running/financing her art projects.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
THIS IS WHAT I THINK ABOUT YOUR SO-CALLED "SUPREME" COURT

https://twitter.com/cspanJeremy/status/1258076164234579969?s=19

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

Plus one of the quickest ways to get Grimes pissed in public is suggesting Musk is running/financing her art projects.

I don't know anything about her but it sounds like she's mumbling when she sings and seems like one of those artists that has huffed one to many of their own farts so I wouldn't have a hard time believing it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

I don't know anything about her but it sounds like she's mumbling when she sings and seems like one of those artists that has huffed one to many of their own farts so I wouldn't have a hard time believing it.

Meh, some people won’t like her, but she’s been highly critically acclaimed and her team has been financially successful for several years before she got with Musk. If anything, her best work was pre-Musk.

I mean, she’s in her 30s and got with Musk what, 2 years ago or so?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I'm having a hard time reconciling the idea that Green Berets are supposed to be the Top .01% of soldiers in the US Army with the fact that one of these Silvercorps clowns tried to invade Venezuela with an airsoft rifle.

attribute no mystique to elites imo

e: i mean here we are talking about elon loving musk

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 6, 2020

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/PostOpinions/status/1257756475767902209?s=20

Mitch can gently caress completely off with this take. Between being a lovely governor and already saying last month that Purdue is going back to having on campus and matriculate new freshmen, he can go gently caress himself. Also, he was part of the Purdue buying Kapella online and rebranding as Purdue Global. About the only positive thing he's done is work at having tuition frozen for the last many years.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
So you’re saying he’s not “your man” Mitch?

Also funny how people most responsible for a shitshow are so quick to say “let’s not play the blame game.”

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
gently caress them and their raging hypocrisy. They did exactly that for everything and anything up to and including "Obama's response to Hurricane Katrina", now Donald and crew are stealing PPE from states they don't like and we're supposed to rally around their flag?

You first ya slimy poo poo heads.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://www.thelocal.se/20200506/coronavirus-in-sweden-the-death-toll-really-came-as-a-surprise-to-us

quote:

Coronavirus in Sweden: 'The death toll really came as a surprise to us'

"We calculated on more people being sick, but the death toll really came as a surprise to us," he said. "We really thought our elderly homes would be much better at keeping this disease outside of them then they have actually been.

"Not that Sweden is the only country with this problem, many countries in Europe have problems with elderly homes. It's very difficult to keep the disease away from there. Even if we are doing our best, it's obviously not enough.

And yet right wingers will continue to hold up Sweden as an example of how we shouldn't have locked down.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mlmp08 posted:

So you’re saying he’s not “your man” Mitch?

Also funny how people most responsible for a shitshow are so quick to say “let’s not play the blame game.”

The party of personal responsibility

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Stultus Maximus posted:

https://www.thelocal.se/20200506/coronavirus-in-sweden-the-death-toll-really-came-as-a-surprise-to-us

And yet right wingers will continue to hold up Sweden as an example of how we shouldn't have locked down.

Is it a bastion of freedom or a country wide no go zone? Who knows, it's schrodinger's sweden

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nick Soapdish posted:

Mitch can gently caress completely off with this take. Between being a lovely governor and already saying last month that Purdue is going back to having on campus and matriculate new freshmen, he can go gently caress himself. Also, he was part of the Purdue buying Kapella online and rebranding as Purdue Global. About the only positive thing he's done is work at having tuition frozen for the last many years.

Thread for this was for Kavanaugh but applicable to... everything from this admin and what comes next.

https://twitter.com/ChuckWendig/status/1048665516699803649

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Milo and POTUS posted:

The party of personal responsibility

The term "death cult" never really hit me until I saw this swing state combopoll result:

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1258087314561142785?s=19

drat near everything on that list is a public health official's loving nightmare and the Republicans are like "nah, nbd".

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nick Soapdish posted:

Simple solution to this: stop reading opinion articles.

Seriously. They're a waste of time and type. I block opinion articles from my news feed now, and it's mildly cathartic. Had to block NYT altogether because half of their stories that hit my feed were opinion pieces. They can gently caress right off and I hope their properties all burn to the ground.

WaPo is just as bad and next on my ban list.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

For a while it seemed like they were giving away their opinion stuff for free but everything else was paywalled, which didn’t exactly entice me to subscribe.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

facialimpediment posted:

The term "death cult" never really hit me until I saw this swing state combopoll result:

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1258087314561142785?s=19

drat near everything on that list is a public health official's loving nightmare and the Republicans are like "nah, nbd".

holy poo poo i didnt think it would be that big of a gap

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The point of opinion articles is so we can make fun of the bad opinions.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Opinion articles just fill dead space on any news day. I'd rather they just run a shorter paper.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i remember hearing doctors say that this is the first disease they've been able to track politically

also in other news

https://twitter.com/360sources/status/1257552659835428865?s=12

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Yea brit and aus and nz, and also generally not for the morbidly obese.

Sci-fi author Charles Stross has a throwaway line in one of his books about a British SOF guy who is described as something like "scrawny in the way of British special forces, rather than the oxes that the US bred" and it struck me as being both weirdly accurate in my experience and also something I never heard anybody say before. The only UK SOF guys I ever knew were Royal Marine Commandos and were built like whippets, where as the US guys I know all have solid builds.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Opinion articles just fill dead space on any news day. I'd rather they just run a shorter paper.

Possibly the worst part of it is that the opinion writers are often the best paid non-executive employees at these papers. Editors and investigative reporters? Nah, let's hire idiots talking out of their rear end to maximize Twitter clicks.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

LingcodKilla posted:

holy poo poo i didnt think it would be that big of a gap

It's putting a lot of other numbers into better context - the shitbag protestors at state capitals currently have about 20% support. That's what you'd get if you'd have the support of zero Democrats, near-zero independents, and the death cult wing of republicans (50%).

I mean the Republican party IS a death cult, but only half of them are vocal about it.

Also, no newspaper should have an opinion page anymore. They're a relic that actively confuses people.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

In the online era the Op/Ed page has as much worth and as much utility as the comments section.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Notahippie posted:

Sci-fi author Charles Stross has a throwaway line in one of his books about a British SOF guy who is described as something like "scrawny in the way of British special forces, rather than the oxes that the US bred" and it struck me as being both weirdly accurate in my experience and also something I never heard anybody say before. The only UK SOF guys I ever knew were Royal Marine Commandos and were built like whippets, where as the US guys I know all have solid builds.

it's like with sumo, the village with the biggest fighters has proven that they have the biggest agricultural surplus

brains
May 12, 2004

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Simple solution to this: stop reading opinion articles.

Seriously. They're a waste of time and type. I block opinion articles from my news feed now, and it's mildly cathartic. Had to block NYT altogether because half of their stories that hit my feed were opinion pieces. They can gently caress right off and I hope their properties all burn to the ground.

please recommend a good news aggregator i can read easily on my phone that lets me filter out every single opinion piece. for the love of god i don't want to see that poo poo but it's impossible with most news apps :( it's getting ridiculous, too, like 40-50% of "articles" are loving opinions or editorials now.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I haven't found a good one, I just use google news feed and spend too much or my time clicking "fewer stories like this" and "hide stories from X" and while you can tell google to gently caress off with stories about specific topics, it doesn't mean you won't see them. The only good thing about it is that google tends to note opinion pieces by putting "opinion" in the link somewhere, so I just click what applies.

The certain topic thing. I can click "fewer stories like this" and it will occasionally bring up whatever the article is about to not see. Like, Kim Kardashian. Just because you block stories about Kim though, doesn't mean you won't still see the articles, because other reasons like that it's "celebrity" news or because kanye says something dumb or their dumbass tv shows hit new lows for humanity.

You can't entirely escape opinion articles, but you can block the bulk of their sources by just clicking hide.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Notahippie posted:

Yea a bunch of the nzsas dudes i met were little short guys that were just absolute machines

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Notahippie posted:

My sister got involved with some green beret and he was short as gently caress but definitely a gym rat at the very least. Even more impressive was the fact that he was cheating on several different women all at the same time.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Possibly the worst part of it is that the opinion writers are often the best paid non-executive employees at these papers. Editors and investigative reporters? Nah, let's hire idiots talking out of their rear end to maximize Twitter clicks.

I mean, papers are read by old conservatives. May as well give them what they want if you're a business

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I think that's a more recent development for SF. My dad and his SF buddies (80s to 90s) always had more of a runners build with most of their PT being running and ruck marches.

My dad has mentioned a few guys that were built like body builders back then in SF and they stood out because of it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Mustang posted:

I think that's a more recent development for SF. My dad and his SF buddies (80s to 90s) always had more of a runners build with most of their PT being running and ruck marches.

My dad has mentioned a few guys that were built like body builders back then in SF and they stood out because of it.

This is absolutely recent. All the SF guys I remember back in the Eighties were wiry little fucks.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
But could run for days.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Obligatory Mike Vining post.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Pompeo is one of those people where if he's specific, he doesn't know poo poo and he's lying. He's also one of those people where if he's dodgy, there's malfeasance and he knows about it.

https://twitter.com/attackerman/status/1258086464535048192

lol

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Madurai posted:

This is absolutely recent. All the SF guys I remember back in the Eighties were wiry little fucks.

Look at the difference in kit a normal everyday soldier is expected to carry between the 80s and now. Seems like that could easily account for some of the difference.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Pompeo is one of those people where if he's specific, he doesn't know poo poo and he's lying. He's also one of those people where if he's dodgy, there's malfeasance and he knows about it.

lol

As always, should you or any of your chud force be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow anymost knowledge of your actions

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

AlexanderCA posted:

Obligatory Mike Vining post.

ICYDGI, Vining is the middle school science teacher with the assault rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

facialimpediment posted:

lol

Oh my god, we did hire them.

Edit: I want Rick Moranis to star in the Vining biopic.