Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Telemaze posted:

I've heard of them but never tried one. Do they get grossly soggy? Do you eat it after the soup is gone? I have so many questions.

The bread is fairly hearty, but it mostly works with thicker soups like broccoli cheese, tomato soup, or something similar. The bread absorbs some of the soup and softens up, and the outside crust is baked hard enough not to leak. Scoop the bread from the sides into the soup as you eat it and it’s delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Well okay, not all Mexican food has jalapeños, then it has no flavor because it's all just tomatoes. Italians know how to tomato wrangle and can do a better version of salsa (minestrone)

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
But salsa doesn't require tomatoes ( or jalapenos). I have a hard time believing that's the closest analogous Italian food to salsa. Even pico doesn't taste like minestrone.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Is salsa a soup :confused:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

macaroni dishes call for at the very least tomatoes or some other kind of vegetable. not just cheddar cheese so its just this monotonous sludge. thats stupid.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Pick posted:

Well okay, not all Mexican food has jalapeños, then it has no flavor because it's all just tomatoes. Italians know how to tomato wrangle and can do a better version of salsa (minestrone)

What the gently caress is going on. Do you live in Minnesota in 1997? How are you posting into the future?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Pick posted:

https://twitter.com/randygdub/status/1256379613229363201?s=20

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

All food can be categorized as a soup, sandwich, or combination thereof.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Salsa is a soup until it's on a chip and then it's a sandwich.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Salsa is a soup until it's on a chip and then it's a sandwich bread bowl.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

OK which one is a rutabaga.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

OK which one is a rutabaga.

Keep your silly 1930's Canadian cars out of food chat. :colbert:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

AlternateNu posted:

“hosed as a soup sandwich” is my favorite way of saying someone is a mess of a human being.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

“hosed as a soup sandwich” is my favorite way of saying someone is a mess of a human being.

You can buy a tube of pea soup and slice it up on your bread just like Saturday sausage.

LIFE HECK

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Salsa is a chowder.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

"gamey" meat tastes much better than regular beef and pork and stuff, i have never understood why most people don't seem to like gamey flavors or why the word has negative connotations

strong flavors in general are better. i love pickled herring and if i ever get the chance to try hakarl or surstromming id probably love it

durians too, i can't think of a more delicious fruit

cod liver oil also tastes great and i like to put it on rice

also love natto

im just posting my unpopular palate now i guess

Shibawanko has a new favorite as of 18:14 on May 6, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

"gamey" meat tastes much better than regular beef and pork and stuff, i have never understood why most people don't seem to like gamey flavors or why the word has negative connotations

strong flavors in general are better. i love pickled herring and if i ever get the chance to try hakarl or surstromming id probably love it

durians too, i can't think of a more delicious fruit

cod liver oil also tastes great and i like to put it on rice

also love natto

im just posting my unpopular palate now i guess

This post reads like the horrible "what is a hacker like" addendum to the Jargon File. (I think it's still in there.)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Similarly, I love organ meats. I'm not trying to invoke the Simpsons meme here*, but I love liver and onions and I have no idea why it's constantly used as shorthand for "a disgusting meal people end up being forced to eat." It's one of my favorite dishes! And I think one of the top three tacos I've had in my life was beef tongue, but you mention eating tongue and most people act like you suggested eating poo poo - directly from a butt.

*The hell with it, I'll post it anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdFd2KmJn-A

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

Similarly, I love organ meats. I'm not trying to invoke the Simpsons meme here*, but I love liver and onions and I have no idea why it's constantly used as shorthand for "a disgusting meal people end up being forced to eat." It's one of my favorite dishes! And I think one of the top three tacos I've had in my life was beef tongue, but you mention eating tongue and most people act like you suggested eating poo poo - directly from a butt.

When liver is bad it's way worse than meat. I still don't know how I managed to get a piece of liver at a lunch place where half was OK and the other half tasted like pissshit.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Pastry of the Year posted:

once every few months my father in law takes me out to an organ meat restaurant in tokyo, we eat liver, various types of stomach and intestines, and other odd bits like chin or trotters, all barbecued at the table with spicy sauces and stuff. it all rules and i look forward to that place every time

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Shibawanko posted:

once every few months my father in law takes me out to an organ meat restaurant in tokyo, we eat liver, various types of stomach and intestines, and other odd bits like chin or trotters, all barbecued at the table with spicy sauces and stuff. it all rules and i look forward to that place every time

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

Oh yeah I heard Chez Sagawa is pretty decent.

:lol: but also :negative:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

mind the walrus posted:

I get if you're whining about the trend of "slow, lilting version of a driving song" that gets thrown into movie trailers all the time now. Like that is an overused cliche. In the last year alone I remember "Forever Young" in that horrible Will Smith movie where he fights his clone, if I recall correctly the Power Rangers trailer a few years ago did it too, and there's more examples...

but that wouldn't be an unpopular opinion. Most people are almost as sick of that as they are "Imagine Dragons."

I thought the version of “Everybody Knows” that they used for Justice League was pretty good, but that’s probably just because Leonard Cohen slaps and it’s difficult to gently caress that up.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

That "7 ate 9!" joke bugs me, because it feels like an intentional misdirection. Like when anybody starts questioning 7 somebody will immediately make that joke, which makes me think that joke was created to distract people from the fact that 7 is a genuinely hosed up number.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

That "7 ate 9!" joke bugs me, because it feels like an intentional misdirection. Like when anybody starts questioning 7 somebody will immediately make that joke, which makes me think that joke was created to distract people from the fact that 7 is a genuinely hosed up number.

???

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It doesn't make any sense, it doesn't work. You've got the classic base ten numbers, 1-6 and 8-10, all fantastic numbers. But then you get 7, doesn't get divided by anything, doesn't multiply up into anything sensible. It's an intruder into the otherwise sensible math. It's like some sci-fi story where an alien has arrived on earth and used mind control to convince everybody that it was always here and is perfectly normal.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

christmas boots posted:

I thought the version of “Everybody Knows” that they used for Justice League was pretty good, but that’s probably just because Leonard Cohen slaps and it’s difficult to gently caress that up.

On it's own I liked it, but in the movie itself it was hard to not burst into laughter because I couldn't shake 1-2-3 garbage of Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, and Suicide Squad from my brain and it was like "drat y'all are cocky if you still think I'm automatically sold on any of this being remotely cool.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Gripweed posted:

The truth is that six is afraid of seven because seven is a registered six-offender.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gripweed posted:

8 is a number i associate with beefiness, in reviews its the lower limit of "good", it looks like a sideways pair of tits or rear end, just a solid number. 9 is just the super saiyan version of 8

6 is a very mediocre number, getting a 6 in a review means something's only okay, but still it's a pass, it even looks kinda lovely visually with the little tail sticking out the top

7 is just sinister, it means "damning with faint praise", it's worse than getting a 6, it's not even friendly and round, even 5 (another hosed up piece of poo poo) has a little round bit to soften the blow

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Shibawanko posted:

8 is a number i associate with beefiness, in reviews its the lower limit of "good", it looks like a sideways pair of tits or rear end, just a solid number. 9 is just the super saiyan version of 8

6 is a very mediocre number, getting a 6 in a review means something's only okay, but still it's a pass, it even looks kinda lovely visually with the little tail sticking out the top

7 is just sinister, it means "damning with faint praise", it's worse than getting a 6, it's not even friendly and round, even 5 (another hosed up piece of poo poo) has a little round bit to soften the blow

You should read the Bible and look for hidden codes about aliens.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Telemaze posted:

Whoa now, I'm an English-speaker but I ain't no Anglo. Also everyone should call them them pain perdu because "lost bread" is a great name.

I've heard of them but never tried one. Do they get grossly soggy? Do you eat it after the soup is gone? I have so many questions.

not really and yes i do

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Neo_Crimson posted:

You should read the Bible and look for hidden codes about aliens.

They already missed the fact that the sideways 8 is infinity so I’m not holding out much hope

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The newest Star Wars trilogy is really fun.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Episode 7 was solid and Episode 8 was really great both in spite of and because it pissed off so many losers who couldn't handle it.

Episode 9 is terrible because it feels like someone you once respected debasing themselves to please you for no particular reason.

My own unpopular opinion-- keeping Shrek alive "ironically" is awful.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The only thing I really disliked about 9 was reintroducing the main antagonist of the entire series using the intro text.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I remember during my initial screening that scene where the raisin alien give Chewbacca a medal for literally no reason other than fanservice and I reflexively did a :jerkbag: motion in the theater while some other dude clapped wildly. He saw me and stopped. It was an MST3K riff fest I tell you.

Like it wasn't offensive as a movie, but it was like meeting up with a rich ex-girlfriend and she "surprises" you by wearing her old cheerleader uniform, but instead of being hot you can see on her face how weirdly desperate she is for your approval and love despite having no reason to be so insecure and it's just a massive turn-off.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 02:20 on May 8, 2020

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Rogue one is the absolute best Star Wars rewind because they introduced a lot of new characters who promptly died. Revolution doesn’t come about with Heroes

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rogue One was almost a really good movie but then they forgot to give the characters any personality whatsoever aside from having the Latin guy rip off "Han shot first."

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I was kinda lukewarm on The Force Awakens, but Rogue One convinced me the Disney Star Wars series wasn't going to be worth watching. It sucked so bad. Characters with zero personality going to a series of random planets and then calmly dying at the end, having learned nothing and not changed at all.
And the Death Star flaw being an intentionally designed weakpoint is the dumbest thing in the whole world and makes no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Sci-Fi Wi-Wi is the best subforum

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)