Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Sindai posted:

I was pleased that you're rewarded for murdering the leader in those encounters with funny documents to read.

The meeting minutes were especially good

When I first encountered them ever, it filled me with glee when I saw the "+ Honor" feedback.

"Hooded rodents...I'll kill all ya bastards." :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Zesty posted:

It is really hard to figure out horses in Skyrim the rare times I use them after playing 500 hours of Red Dead.

It's hard to use horses in any game after RDR. Though at least horses in Skyrim don't veer into boulders at all.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
So I started playing the online of this over the weekend, and the thing i wanted to figure out was whether it was like GTA online in its early iterations where the only way to get stuff was to cheat or pay $$$. This effort post about playing the game for like 4 days will hopefully help anyone considering giving RDR Online a shot but sharing those concerns, and give an overview of my experience so far focused on scam $$$shop issues and how to avoid them.

Ive played it a bunch now and in my opinion, "no" it isnt like that. It's not a nickel and diming game like GTAO is/was.

Its easy and pretty chill to make a lot of in-game money*, and you get a steady trickle of free $$$-shop money for doing quick 'daily tasks' that rotate once a day. Stuff like "pick 5 of this plant" or "catch 5 of this fish" or "eat food from a bar" or "cook some fish" or "shoot some flying birds." If you maintain a streak of doing at least one of these chores per day, it eventually multiplies the $$$shop money it gives you by up to 2.5x, at which point you can really rack up the $$$bucks without a lot of time/effort.

* This hinges on having Amazon Prime, and therefore "twitch prime." Clicking enough buttons on their web sites to turn your Amazon Prime into "twitch prime" gives you an important free unlock in RDR Online, the "collector's bag."

The collector's bag would normally require you to pay 10USD or play the game for a week or two to get enough $$$bucks to buy it, and unlocks the ability to do "collector stuff."

"Collector stuff" consists of going around the map picking up hidden items, completing sets of them, and selling them to a special vendor.

This sounds kind of dumb and tedious, and no doubt was designed to be very tedious, but nerds have comprehensively mapped every spawn for every item and figured out all the patterns to how stuff spawns and made an extremely useful interactive map web site which makes doing it an absolute breeze. The web site is https://jeanropke.github.io/RDR2CollectorsMap/

I guess its sort of boring since you're just riding your horse around grabbing items and digging holes, but on the other hand it plays to one of the biggest strengths of the game, that its a super gorgeous game and very atmospheric and riding your horse all around picking stuff is up relaxing. And who doesnt have time to kill at home during these troubled days?

Another thing I like about it is that you don't have to worry about people loving with you while you do it and there's no rush. You don't have to protect a slow moving vehicle from other players or constantly hustle to get something done in a time limit, or leave the game idling to 'make progress' or any of the other dumb poo poo they cram GTAO with to nudge you toward the $$$shop.

You can pick up where you left off with the 'collections,' nothing goes away, there are no nuisance mechanics to set you back or make you redo anything.

You get poo poo loads of rdr bux for doing it, and shitloads of xp so your guy levels up and can buy better stuff. You get a really good horse and a really good saddle unlocked early for doing it.

I haven't played RDR Online long, so I don't know if its really got enough to hold peoples attention in the long term. It certainly hasn't got a gazillion cars and buildings and poo poo to buy like GTA Online, but what it does have is a nice chill low-pressure minimal-bullshit way to make money/xp/get $$$scambux.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Morter posted:

When I first encountered them ever, it filled me with glee when I saw the "+ Honor" feedback.

"Hooded rodents...I'll kill all ya bastards." :clint:

For all of Dutch's eventual problems the Van der Linde policy for slavers and racists is so good :allears:

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
yeah RDO doesn't actively hate the player anywhere near as much as GTAO, you can realistically buy everything you'd ever want with a couple weeks work instead of grinding your face into the dirt for months just to afford a single vehicle

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

yeah RDO doesn't actively hate the player anywhere near as much as GTAO, you can realistically buy everything you'd ever want with a couple weeks work instead of grinding your face into the dirt for months just to afford a single vehicle

Yeah, but it comes off as completely accidental on RDO's part.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Bear in mind that we're still in Year One of RDO. GTAO didn't have much to spend money on in its first year, either. Expect more expensive properties to come.

Meanwhile, I turned on the cinematic view "autopilot" and got up to get ice cream, and came back to this:

Glorious.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

FuturePastNow posted:

Bear in mind that we're still in Year One of RDO. GTAO didn't have much to spend money on in its first year, either. Expect more expensive properties to come.

Meanwhile, I turned on the cinematic view "autopilot" and got up to get ice cream, and came back to this:

Glorious.

2020 just keeps taking

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

mycot posted:

For all of Dutch's eventual problems the Van der Linde policy for slavers and racists is so good :allears:

Yeah watching him yell at Bill in the middle of the swamp as the prepare to assault Bronte's mansion for disrespecting Native Americans was so good.

It really hit home how far gone he was when he sacrifices an entire tribe of Native Americans to try to make his own escape by pretending to help them, when even 4-5 months ago you get the sense he would have helped them genuinely and for free

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Instead it makes you hate yourself for somehow sitting on 200+ gold and having nothing to spend it on.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Once they scale up the economy while barely adding any new content I’ll really curse RDO for dashing any SP DLC

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

its been online way way over a year. 'beta' was a weak excuse and u could argue its worse now

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
It'd be one thing if we've been seeing steady progress towards fixing things. But as far as I know its just as broken as it was when Moonshiner's came out.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It'd be one thing if we've been seeing steady progress towards fixing things. But as far as I know its just as broken as it was when Moonshiner's came out.

After the most recent 900MB patch it takes me 2-4 tries to get in a game.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Just gonna brush my horse and feed it--WHAT NO!!! :gonk:

https://i.imgur.com/MG8rlPE.mp4

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Rockstar I don't care how much of a hard-on you have for ~~realism~~. Video game graveyards are where you put tombstones with dark limericks about how the people there died. When you put respectful tombstones about beloved fathers and gone too soons you spit in the face of tradition.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
Trying the gambler challenge 8. Hit three times and win at blackjack.

I've had three blackjacks off the deal in a row.

Like, haven't even had a chance to hit.

Wtf are the odds?

Edit to say that the very next hand, hit once and got blackjack. What is going on?!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

PlisskensEyePatch posted:

Trying the gambler challenge 8. Hit three times and win at blackjack.

I've had three blackjacks off the deal in a row.

Like, haven't even had a chance to hit.

Wtf are the odds?

Edit to say that the very next hand, hit once and got blackjack. What is going on?!
So, I genuinely think they hosed with the Blackjack logic so it's not as random.

On my last play-through, I would constantly get into these stretches of getting not the same cards, but the same equivalent. Like be dealt fifteen and then be dealt a three when I hit a bunch of times.

Like doing the double down challenges I did in two streaks of it just working with similar sums for the first two cards.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

So, I genuinely think they hosed with the Blackjack logic so it's not as random.

On my last play-through, I would constantly get into these stretches of getting not the same cards, but the same equivalent. Like be dealt fifteen and then be dealt a three when I hit a bunch of times.

Like doing the double down challenges I did in two streaks of it just working with similar sums for the first two cards.

It's crazy how broken this is.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

I gave up on the Blackjack and you can't convince me that challenge isn't rigged.

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

You want a van? I get you a van.
My final win for Gambler #8 was hitting with 20. Dealer gave me an ace. My only advice for that challenge is to hit whenever you can and hope you get lucky.

The dominoes gambling challenge (win three games in a row) was harder for me, but I was playing at Emerald Station. Once I learned there were other games with different scoring it was easier and much less random than the game at Emerald Ranch. I passed that challenge on my first try when I went to play in Blackwater.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
With dominoes if it looks like you're going to lose you can just quit the match and it won't count against your winning streak. That was something I found out way too late.

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

That trick didn't work for me at Emerald Station. I would leave the table and it reset to zero wins.

edit: I didn't get a chance to try the trick in Blackwater. Playing against one other opponent instead of three seemed to help as well.

insideoutsider fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 7, 2020

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Huh. It worked in Saint Denis, not sure about Blackwater. I would get two wins in a row there and the dude would just always beat me easily the next time.

He may or may not have taken a bullet from me a couple times.

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

I did the same thing many times with the dominoes player at Emerald Station. After I 100%'d single player (saved visiting Arthur's grave for last) I rode down for one last murdering at the dominoes table. Very cathartic experience.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Suddenly near the end of the game I notice you can fast travel anywhere, for free, whenever you camp (in fairness this is the second time I've camped in the whole game since the tutorial.) :psyduck:

I swear the game never mentioned this and google says you can only fast travel from the gang camp after buying some expensive upgrades. Was it patched in later?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

It was, in version 1.15. I'm actually glad I never found out about it.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
End game is definitely abuse Self camp teleport time

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Been trying to get into RDRO.

I mean I kind of like it but it's hard not to get frustrated when the payout for everything is like :10bux:. I knew it was grindy but gently caress man I do not want to play a whole mission that I had to commute all the way to loving Tumbleweed for, for 10 bux.

And then I put my moonshine shed in the desert and the camp spawn on the cliff above it, so I have to ride ALL the way around the cliff to get to it and it just felt like a huge pain in the rear end. I need 250 to move it somewhere else and it's like gently caress man.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I think the only way to enjoy RDO is to let go of worrying about any of the money or rewards for anything. Otherwise you go mad, doing things like keeping up a daily streak for weeks after you stopped actually playing

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Do your dailies. Don’t stress cash. Once you unlock collector you can make 3-4K a day.

Gold grows on trees if you can keep your streak going. It’s pretty worthless after a point.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Zesty posted:

Do your dailies. Don’t stress cash. Once you unlock collector you can make 3-4K a day.

Gold grows on trees if you can keep your streak going. It’s pretty worthless after a point.

Collector plus one of those online collector maps like this.

It also makes it trivial to pull in massive amounts of XP.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

skooma512 posted:

And then I put my moonshine shed in the desert and the camp spawn on the cliff above it, so I have to ride ALL the way around the cliff to get to it and it just felt like a huge pain in the rear end. I need 250 to move it somewhere else and it's like gently caress man.

Hey, you have the lil' shack I do! :hf: Biggest two sucks about that place are the asspain to get to Armadillo or MacFarlane for fast travel, and the only road has two revenooer checkpoints, one in each direction.

Camp on the plateau near MacFarlane is pretty good, usually. Lots of raw materials wildlife (when they spawn), mostly navigable offroad, decent sightlines for hunting/dodging enemies... Hennigan's Stead is generally my #1 choice, followed by down near Blackwater and Heartlands.

Past couple days I've been right up by Cotorro Springs, which means wolf spawns all over, and fuuuuuuuck you if you need to do resupply or deliveries.

Ran into The Boy at that big campground at Valentine last night, who sent me on a jailbreak.

At Valentine. :v:

Murdered a bunch of laws, mostly waiting for my prisoner to finish digging his poo poo out of a barrel before we could head down to Murderbasement to complete. Nice short crimefest, **** 1/2, would outlaw again.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think the only way to enjoy RDO is to let go of worrying about any of the money or rewards for anything. Otherwise you go mad, doing things like keeping up a daily streak for weeks after you stopped actually playing

Yeah I've been approaching it like a zen thing or a like old west Animal Crossing.

I just want some money to set up the professions so I can cash it in once in a while to buy cool clothes and what not.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I've held off on getting this forever but it seems like it will never go below $45.
Should I get it through Steam? Or just go with a Rockstar key from somewhere?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I never really got too deeply into rdo but the impression I get from this thread is that you can either make money efficiently, or have fun, but not both. But also there’s not much to spend it on anyway

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

OgNar posted:

I've held off on getting this forever but it seems like it will never go below $45.
Should I get it through Steam? Or just go with a Rockstar key from somewhere?

It'll go below 45. Give it time. The RDO content is not great right now anyway.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Counterpoint: This game is very much worth $45 for the SP alone. I love it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Ainsley McTree posted:

I never really got too deeply into rdo but the impression I get from this thread is that you can either make money efficiently, or have fun, but not both. But also there’s not much to spend it on anyway

That sounds pretty accurate. Except the fun part has been interrupted by weird bugs. Last time I played a couple weeks back I got one where I would just walk up to the Bounty board and nothing would happen. Considering I logged on specifically to do some bounties I was pretty displeased with this outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Morter posted:

Counterpoint: This game is very much worth $45 for the SP alone. I love it.

Yeah i paid 60 and feel like I got my money’s worth out of the SP. MP isn’t quite at a point where I love it but whatever, I bought it for the campaign anyways.