Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

One of the most surprising things about the 21st century is that women keep letting Elon Musk gently caress them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

One of the most surprising things about the 21st century is that women keep letting Elon Musk gently caress them.

To be fair, the first five kids were via IVF.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Nastyman posted:

lmao

the symbol Æ is called Æ.

sincerely, a scandinavian.

Wrong language. It's ash (or aesc, really, but that means and is the origin of the modern word ash, as in the tree) in Old English.

That said... that poor kid. That's the worst name I've ever seen.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Not touching this one explicitly but come on

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Musk laughed. "You mean the blood emeralds?"

Lol

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Prism posted:

Wrong language. It's ash (or aesc, really, but that means and is the origin of the modern word ash, as in the tree) in Old English.

That said... that poor kid. That's the worst name I've ever seen.

Same language, just older. Æ is the modern scandinavian version of ᚫ

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/jim52883/status/1258053757113454592

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: there weren’t vaccines in the Koran and there’s not gonna be any in me!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Or, alternatively, diseases were a way in which God is testing us, and vaccines are how we passed that test. We figured out how to beat the obstacle, a little achievement popped up in Heaven in the 1800s and God was like "Ooh, they solved it! Well done them!" Why does God's plan always have to be so loving passive? I'm an atheist, I shouldn't have to come up with the logic for them.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BioEnchanted posted:

Or, alternatively, diseases were a way in which God is testing us, and vaccines are how we passed that test. We figured out how to beat the obstacle, a little achievement popped up in Heaven in the 1800s and God was like "Ooh, they solved it! Well done them!" Why does God's plan always have to be so loving passive? I'm an atheist, I shouldn't have to come up with the logic for them.

Most religious people somehow manage to incorporate modern medicine into their lives with relative ease. Heck, a lot of the medical advances are made by religious people.

It's like that old Jewish parable about the devout man who, when the town is flooding, goes up to the roof of his house to wait it out. A boat comes by and says "hey, let's take you away!" And he responds: "No, God will save me!" An hour later another, more make-shift boat comes by. "Hey, you there! Come on, the water's almost to the top of your roof!" He responds: "No, no, God will protect me, I have faith in Him." The water rises up, then carries the man to his death. In the afterlife he encounters God, and demands: "Oh, Blessed God, why didn't you save me?" And God says: "I sent you those boats, but since you refused them, I assumed you wanted to meet me early."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like the version I read on a birthday card years ago where it includes a helicopter, and God's last line is "I sent two boats and a helicopter, what more did you want?" It's such a casual yet annoyed final line.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Hell, in Judaism (and I assume in most other religions) it even allows breaking the laws if it means saving a life. Doctors can work on the Sabbath or you can eat non kosher food if you are starving to death etc.
Anyone that denies life saving treatment is just looking to be an idiot martyr

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

I like the version I read on a birthday card years ago where it includes a helicopter, and God's last line is "I sent two boats and a helicopter, what more did you want?" It's such a casual yet annoyed final line.

I imagine if there is in fact some omniscient omnipotent creator somewhere beyond our worldly perception, that considers us it's "project," it must be doing whatever the equivalent of banging its head on a wall in frustration is.

"Why won't my AI programs take the training data?" God laments as humans inject themselves with colloidal silver.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Nastyman posted:

Same language, just older. Æ is the modern scandinavian version of ᚫ

Sorry, but the Latin origin has a cooler history. I think you'll find it's actually the modern version of cow-head yelling-man. :smug:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Madkal posted:

Hell, in Judaism (and I assume in most other religions) it even allows breaking the laws if it means saving a life. Doctors can work on the Sabbath or you can eat non kosher food if you are starving to death etc.
Anyone that denies life saving treatment is just looking to be an idiot martyr

There’s an interesting case of that with a Hasidic ambulance service in NY that has non-Jewish drivers to drive the ambulance back from the hospital. They can drive to the scene and to the hospital, since a life is at risk (99 percent of the time not really, but technically sure), and they can drive to the hospital with the same reasoning, but once they’ve turned over the patient, no driving!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I don't roll on Shabbos :colbert:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Hegelbon/status/1258093246812749827

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

I don't know anything about Grimes (apart from the fact that she's married to & just had a baby with Elon Musk), but I quite liked this. Is there a major reason I shouldn't?

Also, while we're on pronunciation and IPA, how is Grimes pronounced? Like Frank Grimes? Grimmez/Grimmeth? Grimmy?

Edit: loving hell, this is mad

I can't remember where on SA I read it, but I loved the observation that a few months ago these people were the same ilk as doomsday preppers and militant 2nd amendment mentals: they would burrow in like ticks, live off the land and have no need for the government. Now they all REALLY want a haircut and to go to a museum.

Chris Pistols has a new favorite as of 19:14 on May 6, 2020

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Chris Pistols posted:

I don't know anything about Grimes (apart from the fact that she's married to & just had a baby with Elon Musk), but I quite liked this. Is there a major reason I shouldn't?

Also, while we're on pronunciation and IPA, how is Grimes pronounced? Like Frank Grimes? Grimmez/Grimmeth? Grimmy?

she's a talented musician but she has that annoying celebrity habit of saying things she thinks are profound but is really just gibberish validated by the stamp of being a successful artist so that there's nobody around her to keep her in check or challenge her ideas. musk has the same problem, he's got buckets of money and is the boss so he doesn't have to listen to any criticism he doesn't want to hear - and doesn't know how to handle the criticism that pierces his emotional defenses. this is why when an expert diver tore musk's dumb cave submarine idea to pieces, musk had a meltdown and called the dude a pedophile

this isn't any reason to hate grimes or anything like that, it's just typical annoying celebrity nonsense, and she's probably on the trajectory of public breakdowns and rehab

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I call her Grimey.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Visions is an amazing album and Kill V Maim is one of the best songs ever, but it's no doubt she's a bit loony.

Her KEXP performance is a great example of her being a regular kid with no idea that she was at the beginning of her insane trajectory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ5XUw4qHZo

Then again, a video of any one of us from 2012 would be an example of the same (ed: not expressing musical talent while sitting on a floor in a radio station in seattle, but rather being totes ignorant of the coming tsunami of ... well look around i guess)

captainOrbital has a new favorite as of 19:24 on May 6, 2020

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

luxury handset posted:

she's a talented musician but she has that annoying celebrity habit of saying things she thinks are profound but is really just gibberish validated by the stamp of being a successful artist so that there's nobody around her to keep her in check or challenge her ideas. musk has the same problem, he's got buckets of money and is the boss so he doesn't have to listen to any criticism he doesn't want to hear - and doesn't know how to handle the criticism that pierces his emotional defenses. this is why when an expert diver tore musk's dumb cave submarine idea to pieces, musk had a meltdown and called the dude a pedophile

this isn't any reason to hate grimes or anything like that, it's just typical annoying celebrity nonsense, and she's probably on the trajectory of public breakdowns and rehab

Thanks, good answer. I always try to 'separate the art from the artist' etc, but there are clear cases in my mind where that doesn't work (see: diddlers). I didn't know if she was a celebrity making innocuous celebrity goofs or if there was something more sinister. I had no strong opinion on Musk one way or the other until his paedo comment and didn't know if she was the same breed of clown.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

luxury handset posted:

i dunno, she DID try to live off a riverboat once, but really it was just her and her crusty boyfriend living in a beached boat-hovel that the police eventually confiscated.

personally i think her willingness to procreate with musk is enough of a reason to avoid giving her any money or attention whatsoever.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Chris Pistols posted:

I can't remember where on SA I read it, but I loved the observation that a few months ago these people were the same ilk as doomsday preppers and militant 2nd amendment mentals: they would burrow in like ticks, live off the land and have no need for the government. Now they all REALLY want a haircut and to go to a museum.

One circle venn diagram strikes again, these ARE the prepper people who think they're so prepared and ready. None of them are in their stupid little bunkers, they're outside waving their toy guns around.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

It's loving wild when amoral famous people who are insane in different ways meet.

It's almost like this happens all the god damned time

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i think they're insane in the same way. grimes came to public attention in a more positive way as a quirky arthouse darling. musk came to public attention as some kind of rationalist capitalist whiz kid. grimes has the same technology-as-savior, "i read too much sci-fi as a kid" outlook as musk, but where she's a creative, musk is an industrialist so when he imposes his ideas in the world he can do much more direct and lasting harm. like it's cool when someone with bad ideas turns those ideas into music, that's beneficial to the world, but when those bad ideas get turned into business plans then Problems start to happen

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Boy is Grandma Killer going to be surprised when her "If you want to stay locked down, do" caveat means all the doctors, dentists, museums, zoos, restaurants, and teachers stay locked down while she bangs angrily on their windows demanding they open up so she can get a haircut.

That's the thing about the anti-lockdown crowds, they aren't just demanding that the lockdown be lifted for them, they're demanding that everyone go back to work so that they can patronize the businesses they want to, regardless of whether or not the businesses' workers want to put their own lives in danger. They always frame these tweets and angry rants as "if you want to shut down, fine, but I don't!" as if it's all a matter of personal choice, but as always their complete lack of empathy means their choice is the only one that matters and they don't care if other people literally die because they demand that everyone else reopen to serve them.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
https://twitter.com/lizchar/status/1258107573397524487?s=20
:thunk:

E: https://twitter.com/EyesOnTheRight/status/1258118373046697987?s=20

Pththya-lyi has a new favorite as of 20:55 on May 6, 2020

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

You can tell who's never faced real hardships in their lives before or ever faced systemic oppression at all. The only way to describe it is spoiled brats. Their lives have been easy, they've always got what they wanted, and when told "no" for the first time, throw a huge loving tantrum over it. I've been through some really dark poo poo in my past so this is kind of a breeze by comparison.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

vyelkin posted:

Boy is Grandma Killer going to be surprised when her "If you want to stay locked down, do" caveat means all the doctors, dentists, museums, zoos, restaurants, and teachers stay locked down while she bangs angrily on their windows demanding they open up so she can get a haircut.

That's the thing about the anti-lockdown crowds, they aren't just demanding that the lockdown be lifted for them, they're demanding that everyone go back to work so that they can patronize the businesses they want to, regardless of whether or not the businesses' workers want to put their own lives in danger. They always frame these tweets and angry rants as "if you want to shut down, fine, but I don't!" as if it's all a matter of personal choice, but as always their complete lack of empathy means their choice is the only one that matters and they don't care if other people literally die because they demand that everyone else reopen to serve them.
Don't worry, they know. Because removing the lockdown would mean no unemployment benefits or other safety nets, these people would have to go back to work to survive. "Let us choose" really means "force everyone out".

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I listened to grimes once looking for something else, she's every mid 20 something arty (think period blood cookies kinda art) trustfunditarian right down to the hair and head-up-rear end lyrics. Fine if that's what you like but I can meet three of her in a Seattle coffee haus under normal conditions.

Also cyberpunk 2069 is the star wars of cyberpunk

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://twitter.com/Hirsutable/status/1258129356435513344

Congrats on being the main character, Granda Killing Nazi Lover.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

EL BROMANCE posted:

One circle venn diagram strikes again, these ARE the prepper people who think they're so prepared and ready. None of them are in their stupid little bunkers, they're outside waving their toy guns around.

I like the observation I heard recently that these people were prepping for a short stay in their bunkers, society to fall apart, then to come out and shoot zombies. They weren't expecting, y'know, compassion or anything like that or that people might try to help each other.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

nexus6 posted:

I like the observation I heard recently that these people were prepping for a short stay in their bunkers, society to fall apart, then to come out and shoot zombies black people. They weren't expecting, y'know, compassion or anything like that or that people might try to help each other.

Fixed that for you

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

T-man posted:

I listened to grimes once looking for something else, she's every mid 20 something arty (think period blood cookies kinda art) trustfunditarian right down to the hair and head-up-rear end lyrics. Fine if that's what you like but I can meet three of her in a Seattle coffee haus under normal conditions.

Also cyberpunk 2069 is the star wars of cyberpunk

Grimes' music slaps, and I'll not hear anything to the contrary.

That said, given her recent life choices, I haven't bothered checking out her new one. I'd rather play some Charli XCX, who as far as I know isn't awful and isn't dating an evil billionaire.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Push El Burrito posted:

I call her Grimey.

Musk and Grimes sounds like a cop show from the 70s

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GrandpaPants posted:

https://twitter.com/Hirsutable/status/1258129356435513344

Congrats on being the main character, Granda Killing Nazi Lover.

Stay at Home Mom Grandma Killing Nazi Lover to this tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9H_cI_WCnE

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Stay at Home Mom Grandma Killing Nazi Lover to this tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9H_cI_WCnE

Grandma killer
Qu'est-ce que c'est

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
I've been seeing people on facebook post links to a short documentary called PlanDemic
https://vimeo.com/414289492

Does anybody know anything about this? I distrust any video that's spread around claiming to expose A Horrible Truth so I haven't watched more than five minutes of it, is it more conspiracy theory bullshit?

I trust goons more than I do a Google search