Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DanielCross posted:

Has there ever been a game that's had multiple full-scale, ground-up remakes? (Not counting fan remakes)

Medievil has been done multiple times for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Weird. I've heard of the game, seen it played for a level or two, but I can't say I found it that amazing. Why would that get multiple remakes, of all things?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sony has been placed under a curse where once per decade they have to attempt to make Medievil a thing.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Sir Dan is a good fellow and deserved one.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Full HD remake of Ghosthunter or we riot, Sony.

Very politely. But a riot nonetheless.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the "i would RATHER see capcom rewrite the declaration of independence, and colonize mars than remake RE4" bargaining is honestly pretty funny.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Beat RE7, no big change in opinion from my earlier assessment. Main thoughts:
1) I forgot you got the Albertgun at the end, it's less of a big deal when you've already been using it all playthrough
2) I also forgot the updated Chris model looked exactly like one of my college buddies, I kinda want to get the DLC now

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

Gnoman posted:

The only real character issue I had was Nikolai, and I can't quite put my finger on why - a summary of both versions of the character would be nigh-identical, but the old one felt realer, somehow.

Honestly the main issue I had with OG RE3 was the characterizations, and I think they knocked it out of the park with the remake in that regard. "Wants money" isn't the most original motivation but I really liked all of Nikolai's dialog and especially his acting. I made a clip of the exact moment he became my favorite RE villain despite not having much screentime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzM4NpUGEyA

That fuckin' wink and grin. It's also nice that they gave him a proper finale, when his death in the original was so sudden I wasn't even sure what happened. An added bonus is that, along with Alfred, he's one of the few RE villains to not become a giant goo monster.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Beat RE7, no big change in opinion from my earlier assessment. Main thoughts:
1) I forgot you got the Albertgun at the end, it's less of a big deal when you've already been using it all playthrough
2) I also forgot the updated Chris model looked exactly like one of my college buddies, I kinda want to get the DLC now

The Chris DLC is free, it's the others which are paid.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Scissorfighter posted:

Honestly the main issue I had with OG RE3 was the characterizations, and I think they knocked it out of the park with the remake in that regard. "Wants money" isn't the most original motivation but I really liked all of Nikolai's dialog and especially his acting. I made a clip of the exact moment he became my favorite RE villain despite not having much screentime:

That fuckin' wink and grin. It's also nice that they gave him a proper finale, when his death in the original was so sudden I wasn't even sure what happened. An added bonus is that, along with Alfred, he's one of the few RE villains to not become a giant goo monster.

His death in the original is still one of the creepiest things to me for some reason. Whoever did the sound design for that scene did a great job.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Scissorfighter posted:

I can understand where the "feels realer" thing comes from. Old Nikolai often felt like he was only getting by on the skin of his teeth and found navigating the city as much of a dangerous affair as you did. That part where the giant worm attacks and Nikolai actually has to scramble to flee (if I am not just inventing that in my memory) is something this iteration really lacks. He comes across as... well, as a bad video game villain. Alway fresh as roses, without a scratch, smug and arrogant, and always somehow just there every time something dramatic or bad happens to you.

It honestly kind of sucks.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Cardiovorax posted:

I can understand where the "feels realer" thing comes from. Old Nikolai often felt like he was only getting by on the skin of his teeth and found navigating the city as much of a dangerous affair as you did. That part where the giant worm attacks and Nikolai actually has to scramble to flee (if I am not just inventing that in my memory) is something this iteration really lacks. He comes across as... well, as a bad video game villain. Alway fresh as roses, without a scratch, smug and arrogant, and always somehow just there every time something dramatic or bad happens to you.

My favourite Nicholai bit in the new game is how he is always so smug about his living dangerously but getting paid philosophy.

Then when the Nemesis shows up near the end he does this amazing "completely terrified but trying not to show it thing" when he runs off while going "money is no use if you aren't alive to spend it."

It's a really nice touch which stops him from being some "all according to keiku" overused type.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Something that has stuck out to me while replaying RE7 is just how damned good the voice acting and dialogue is, especially compared to the entire series that came before it.

I’d say the game’s biggest flaw is that there is not enough Jack Baker stalking you around the house. If you know what you’re doing you’re looking at spending only a couple of minutes being pursued.

All the Bakers are great in their own way but Jack managed to be both scary and hilarious.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Jack really, really loves being an immortal hillbilly murder-man, it's pretty great.

But yeah, the voice acting is great. Resident Evil 4 also had great voice acting, though. It just wasn't trying to sound realistic, which a lot of people confuse with bad voice acting. The voice direction itself was amazing and every emotion came across perfectly.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

Cardiovorax posted:

In the original, he kills Tyrell with a safe bomb. It's very looney tunes. I'd say it's just a product of its age but the other classic REs still aged a bit better. The bad voice acting also hurt that game more than the others because the VAs were tasked with faking Russian/Mexican accents and they... weren't up to the task.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Cardiovorax posted:

Xenonauts is a straight-up remake, though.

its not at all tho, its a different game series thats paying homage.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Let's not forget just how Nicholai had some cartoon character resilience going on. If you get him to appear in the Stagla Gas Station, the sparks from the wire would cause the whole place to explode right in front of his face. If he appears in the sales office, a mob of zombies would burst through the windows right where he's kneeling under. And when Tyrell blew himself up with a grenade as a last-ditch move against Nicholai, he avoided it by jumping out of the 3rd floor window. If you told me he survived Jill blowing up his escape helicopter with a rocket launcher, I would still believe you. :allears:

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Dudes built like a brick shithouse in operation mad jackal so I am honestly not surprised he survives any and all of the above things.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

its not at all tho, its a different game series thats paying homage.
In every practical sense it's a remake, at least in my view. It has the exact same premise, it plays the same, it has most of the same mechanics, and it even looks really similar. I guess that's more of a "what even counts as a remake" argument, though, and that's kind of pointless. Sure, it belongs to a different developer, but I think it's basically just UFO: Enemy Unknown 2.0.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Wouldn't that just be a spiritual sequel?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I guess I'd expect at least a token sequel plot for that, not a straight rehash. I'd call UFO Aftermath more of a "spiritual sequel" in that sense, but it's a vague distinction.

It's honestly unimportant, though, I just think of it that way.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Cardiovorax posted:

In every practical sense it's a remake, at least in my view. It has the exact same premise, it plays the same, it has most of the same mechanics, and it even looks really similar. I guess that's more of a "what even counts as a remake" argument, though, and that's kind of pointless. Sure, it belongs to a different developer, but I think it's basically just UFO: Enemy Unknown 2.0.

resident evil 7 is a remake of P.T going by your rules.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

mario rabbids is a remake of terror from the deep.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

resident evil 7 is a remake of P.T going by your rules.
Except for the part where it is completely different in every other sense beyond "spooky" and "first person."

Seriously, is this worth making an argument out of it to you?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

RE7 definitely felt like it was taking cues from PT when all we had was the demo and there were numerous ghost girl sightings throughout the Sewer Gators video. Wonder what that was intended to be...

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

Except for the part where it is completely different in every other sense beyond "spooky" and "first person."

Seriously, is this worth making an argument out of it to you?

lol what. dude, your definition of argument is abit weird, you gotta stop taking this dumb poo poo that seriously.

but xeno still isnt a remake. just like bloodstained isnt a SOTN remake. the re7 point was how everything about its first trailer and its early demos were 100% invoking P.T with how that came around, which is what xeno is doing.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

DeadButDelicious posted:

RE7 definitely felt like it was taking cues from PT when all we had was the demo and there were numerous ghost girl sightings throughout the Sewer Gators video. Wonder what that was intended to be...

ghost girl was left over from an earlier version of the game, meant to ultimately be hallucinations of course. it was always the early version of mia but it was either in the version with the dog and the cornfield or earlier than that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

lol what. dude, your definition of argument is abit weird, you gotta stop taking this dumb poo poo that seriously.

but xeno still isnt a remake. just like bloodstained isnt a SOTN remake. the re7 point was how everything about its first trailer and its early demos were 100% invoking P.T with how that came around, which is what xeno is doing.
It's Something Awful. When people aren't willing to just let a dumb matter of semantics go, I've learned to expect someone to start a shouting match about it in short order.

Nothing personal. There just isn't a lot for me to say other than "yes, but I still disagree" and it frustrates me when people start getting combative about it at that point.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 6, 2020

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

To be fair though haven’t ghost/creepy little girl sightings been a horror cliche for quite some time now? The earliest game I remember something like that in was FEAR.

RE7 wins out though because what other horror game has a boss call you a loving shitcock?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Lord Ludikrous posted:

To be fair though haven’t ghost/creepy little girl sightings been a horror cliche for quite some time now? The earliest game I remember something like that in was FEAR.

RE7 wins out though because what other horror game has a boss call you a loving shitcock?
Yeah, it has pretty much been a standard horror game cliché since Ring. Creepy black-haired girl doing the spooky things = instant scary game/movie/manga as far as most Japanese writers are concerned.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
And they are absolutely, positively right.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Cardiovorax posted:

Jack really, really loves being an immortal hillbilly murder-man, it's pretty great.

Hell, same

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, it has pretty much been a standard horror game cliché since Ring. Creepy black-haired girl doing the spooky things = instant scary game/movie/manga as far as most Japanese writers are concerned.

Looks like the writer for RE7 has some credits as a writer on the non-canon expansion packs to the first F.E.A.R. game. https://m.imdb.com/name/nm5702672/

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Makes sense. Evie is pretty visibly inspired by Alma, who is in turn pretty heavily inspired by Sadako.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

This final boss in Revelations sucks.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

ErrEff posted:

The rest of them were pretty memorable though. The ship captain constantly screaming in agony in the state between human and monster were spooky, the fight with the lady on the ship where she's constantly playing hide and seek was a lot of fun, and the giant squid monster thing or whatever it was, was a lot of fun too.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The ship captain did leave behind a fun log that reads like a homage to "Itchy, tasty". I mostly remember him from the instakill attacks, too busy running away in panic to remember what he was saying.

This final boss can teleport, does an RNG-based illusion where you have to guess which clone is the correct one in a very short window of time and he has wide-reaching attacks that almost always put me near death. Also in the bullet sponge hall of fame.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

at this point i would just prefer they remake resident evil 2 and resident evil 3, then code veronica, before they tackled an RE4 remake

ErrEff posted:

i really wanted to like revelations but i feel like i had to force myself to play through that game. i genuinely wonder what it is about it that make people like it so much and i just cant get into it at all. my theory is that i absolutely hate the circle pad on the 3ds but i'm not willing to spend ten bucks to find out otherwise.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The Chris DLC is free, it's the others which are paid.

That was a nice surprise, I forgot any of them were free.

I'm kinda liking it. It's weird, the best part of RE7 proper was the furthest it got from the post-4 games, but it also feels pretty great to jump right in as hyper-competent* Chris and just start punching fungus zombies' heads off. I guess the moral is, I don't know what the hell the franchise really is, or what I want from it.

*e: gameplay-wise, in terms of plot he's basically "well, the last four buttons set off traps but this one is clearly labelled NOT A TRAP, I'm gonna push it"

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

rabidsquid posted:

at this point i would just prefer they remake resident evil 2 and resident evil 3, then code veronica, before they tackled an RE4 remake

i really wanted to like revelations but i feel like i had to force myself to play through that game. i genuinely wonder what it is about it that make people like it so much and i just cant get into it at all. my theory is that i absolutely hate the circle pad on the 3ds but i'm not willing to spend ten bucks to find out otherwise.

I think most people that love it only played it on the consoles. Ive never touched the 3DS version.

Also, yeah, the final boss of Revelations is such a huge difficulty jump from anything else in the game.