Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I just discovered a circuit in my house that has over 20 devices on it.

Thank you, previous owner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Something I ordered from Amazon had been not delivered 2 days in a row because according to the delivery company (Amazon) the delivery address isn't open on a weekend.

The same address they've delivered a billion parcels to over the most 5 years. Wait a minute, it's also Wednesday, what's the weekend got to do with it?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

cakesmith handyman posted:

Something I ordered from Amazon had been not delivered 2 days in a row because according to the delivery company (Amazon) the delivery address isn't open on a weekend.

The same address they've delivered a billion parcels to over the most 5 years. Wait a minute, it's also Wednesday, what's the weekend got to do with it?

It took Australia Post one and a half weeks to send a package about 20kms from the sender to me.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I'm going to be out of town, but: http://circuitoftheamericas.com/donate

quote:

On Sunday, May 10, Circuit of The Americas is inviting fans to take a drive on its world-famous 3.4-mile track to collect donations for Central Texas Food Bank and host a parade of unity, hope, and fun! Join your friends and neighbors safely from inside your vehicle at 20 MPH as you ascend the iconic “Turn 1” hill, weave through the challenging “esses” at Turns 3 and 4, and cruise down the same back stretch as the greatest drivers in Formula 1 have done.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

rdb posted:

Not trying to be an rear end, but your preface is: It's ~800 sqft of finished space that took a serious hit with the two water damage incidents we've had in the past year.

Fair point, but there was $50k damage done to the main floor and only $10k done to the basement. :D

I was answering to dry basements with regards to water incursion from the outside. Water leaking from pipes can/will destroy any part of a house where the condition exists.

It's made me paranoid. I installed a Moen Flo on the main and have 3 immediate sensors in the primary trouble points that will shut off water to the house the instant they get wet.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My dad had a pipe burst on the upper floor of his house while he was out of town and the amount of damage was amazing. Insurance covered it, but I'm surprised they don't insist on some kind of device to detect leaks if they'll write you coverage.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

STR posted:

"So if you're really my friend, you'll sign a lease with me on a new place", someone said a few hours ago on their lunch break.

That line right there just ended any hopes of a friendship or any semblance of help aside from me helping load a moving truck after this shitshow. No. Just. loving. NO. :fuckoff: Don't pull that guilt trip poo poo on me. Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part. Originally I was 100% on board with even driving a moving truck across the loving state and helping load/unload at both ends, then taking a COVID infested bus or plane to get back home, on my dime.

For any future ex's that wind up reading this, I will go to the ends of the earth to help you, and everyone else in my life, UNTIL you try to guilt trip me like that. The only reason I'll even bother helping to load now is because my name is also on the lease, and she got hammered by holdover fees in her last apt (same property) when she didn't finish moving out for several days after the lease was up. They still gave her 2 days free, but it wound up being several hundred dollars for the 2 or 3 days they charged her. Pretty sure the only reason she didn't get nailed harder is she lived next door to the asst property manager at the time, who got to watch her shoving everything she owned into the breezeway (yes, I tried to come down to help, I got turned away).

I really did stick my dick in crazy.

I mean you helped me clean out my Dad's house and you didn't even know me. :kimchi:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

MomJeans420 posted:

My dad had a pipe burst on the upper floor of his house while he was out of town and the amount of damage was amazing. Insurance covered it, but I'm surprised they don't insist on some kind of device to detect leaks if they'll write you coverage.

I'm planning on getting something like that at some point. This one popped up in my Amazon suggestions but I've done zero research on this topic so I don't know if it's any good. https://smile.amazon.com/Moen-Chrome-Volume-Control900001/dp/B00C03D01Q?th=1

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

^^Oh, I like that idea. Between that and a sump battery back up I think that would be great.

My wife (and in laws) have a story of a burst pipe. They went to Disney for a couple weeks in the winter when she was a kid and had a relative watching their house. They had a very nice house at the time and said relative took it upon herself to show her friends around the house to show it off. Well, jackass relative left an outside door open. By accident for sure, but still. And it was -30 snap. It was open for at least 2 days. The furnace was able to keep a lot of the house from freezing solid, BUT the door they left open was near an ensuite and the water line to a basin or toilet froze and broke wide open. Spilling open line in their upstairs ensuite for 2-3 days.

Mrs. Slidebite remembers living in a hotel for about another month after they returned.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

MomJeans420 posted:

We had a group of sailors fail to set up automatic refills on their heating oil tank while we were deployed for 6 months, the pipes froze and burst once the oil ran out.

They came home to a house with nothing but studs and a roof, an eviction notice and their ruined possessions in trash bags.

Oops.

(My landlords in the frozen north always required proof that I had recurring deliveries of heating oil scheduled, no idea why their landlords didn't require the same)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
In THIS loving CAR WONT START news, the timing chain assembly didn't give me a single second's worth of a fight putting it back together. Not even resetting the chain tensioners was an issue, in fact it collapsed back and I was able to pin it into position first go.

I'm now at the point where I can reassemble a EJ30 timing 15 minutes - A skill I did not wish to have 2 months ago. I know every bolt's torque spec off the top of my head. The inlet will take me under 5 minutes to reassemble. I am not pleased I know how to do this. It is much like the former skills in carby rebuilds I had years ago - a skill hard won but I did NOT like having.

So inlet back on, rehook fuel, put timing cover back on without Three-Bond (I really dont want to go through the mess and cramps to redo the gasket seal if the engine doesnt start at all) and try to kick it to life. If it does, I'll deal with the two liters of oil the timing case will drop and I'll do all the poo poo I need to do to make it drive. If it doesnt.....

It's 6 guys, a coffin and Astronomica time for this loving motor and car I aint gonna waste another second on it. It either starts or it dies, full stop

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 12:18 on May 7, 2020

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Galler posted:

I'm planning on getting something like that at some point. This one popped up in my Amazon suggestions but I've done zero research on this topic so I don't know if it's any good. https://smile.amazon.com/Moen-Chrome-Volume-Control900001/dp/B00C03D01Q?th=1

Exactly what I installed. Note that it relies on flow analysis to determine a leak. There's also add-on sensors: https://www.amazon.com/Moen-920-004...a-search&sr=8-1 that will signal the valve to close immediately if moisture is detected. Got those behind refrigerator, dishwasher, under sink.

It's probably overkill at this point, but the amount of damage and disruption there was, I'm more than a bit paranoid.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

slidebite posted:

My wife (and in laws) have a story of a burst pipe. They went to Disney for a couple weeks in the winter when she was a kid and had a relative watching their house. They had a very nice house at the time and said relative took it upon herself to show her friends around the house to show it off. Well, jackass relative left an outside door open. By accident for sure, but still. And it was -30 snap. It was open for at least 2 days. The furnace was able to keep a lot of the house from freezing solid, BUT the door they left open was near an ensuite and the water line to a basin or toilet froze and broke wide open. Spilling open line in their upstairs ensuite for 2-3 days.

So my stepmother's family has a vacation house near Ruidoso NM. We went to use it one time when I was visiting my dad and stepmom.

We get there.. keep in mind it's dumping snow at the time. And in much of Texas and New Mexico, an iron-bar "screen door" with a deadbolt is kind of the norm, especially in a high crime area or at a rarely used property. Well, that was the case here. That was closed and locked (but offered no protection from the elements). The inside door was wide loving open. And of course, dad being dad, he forgot his key. Luckily there was a hidden spare, but it took a bit of driving to find a cell phone signal so he could call stepmom's cousin to find out if there WAS a spare key hidden anywhere, or if we were driving another 5 hours back to get the key, then 5 hours back.

That furnace was a trooper. It had to have been running for at least a few weeks, if not a month or two (it was set at 50 since the house was rarely used, but it was about 15 outside when we got there). No broken pipes or anything, but a hell of a lot of creaking once the door was finally closed and it finally got a chance to shut off. They're lucky as hell that they were close enough to town to actually have gas service - much of that area relies on LP tanks. Hell, even the suburb I live in now (which is swallowed up by Austin metro expanding), LP tanks are a common sight (a gas station down the road that opened a year ago has a huge one, assuming it's to power their deli cooking stuff and their furnaces... same with several nearby restaurants, all on major roads). I don't remember what the gas bill was (this was like 15 years ago), but pops did hear about there being a comma.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm now at the point where I can reassemble a EJ30 timing 15 minutes - A skill I did not wish to have 2 months ago. I know every bolt's torque spec off the top of my head. The inlet will take me under 5 minutes to reassemble. I am not pleased I know how to do this. It is much like the former skills in carby rebuilds I had years ago - a skill hard won but I did NOT like having.

*laughs in Subaru*

You've had too much good luck with them. It was time for one to bite you, and this one bit you hard enough to give PTSD. When you're done playing with this, wanna help me replace the tailshaft seal on my 4EAT? It's pissing nearly a litre every week at this point (.... need a rear driveshaft too, but despite spending 8 years in the frozen wastelands some people call "Canada", it doesn't have any real rust)

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I mean you helped me clean out my Dad's house and you didn't even know me. :kimchi:

We were never (publicly) loving though. :ssh:

(and I still say I really didn't do much except drink your beer and eat food... aside from helping move that loving safe)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 7, 2020

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Hi dudes. Been a weird and busy couple months. Last night I did a car thing:

TLDR we're still waiting for our house to get unfucked from the fire, the lease on the rental house is up soon, my kids can't go to school, I can't fly for work - so I have thusly convinced my family that we should go on a 'social distancing' tour of the country with a travel trailer since none of us have to be anywhere specifically and I can work anywhere I have internet for the time being.

First step was researching travel trailers and realizing that of my fleet's tow capacities, we would be looking at either being dangerously close or over on GWVR in any configuration. So I started doing some reading, got enamored with Ford's new 7.3 Godzilla gasser, and now there's a 2020 F350 Tremor 7.3 sitting in my driveway. Got it for invoice + $100 and the trade values the dealer gave me were also quite good - they wanted to do a deal, and I'm giving them two used inventory in the trade.

Also traded in the '13 Land Cruiser to the dealer too. The LC was a good truck but had the poo poo kicked out of it by hail, fire, and bad wrong-side pumpers at Costco, so I bid it a fond adieu and now it's the dealer's problem to figure out what the do with its hail damage etc. Last night was the last night with the Raptor; I'll miss some of it but I think the experiences we will get out of the Tremor + trailer will be worth it.

So thankfully back down to 3 vehicles total. MB UPDATES: the GLS hasn't seen much use since we got it since no one's going anywhere but it can stay parked and be there when we get back. S65 is at my drag racing MB independent getting a motor mount (deja vu...) and the turbo coolant leak fixed as well as get a Quaife LSD dropped in, the meth kit installed, a Kleemann tune, and the lowering links on.

Now to figure out travel trailers. Hope you're all doing well.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Happy to report that overnightglasses dot com lived roughly up to their names, and the glasses I ordered at 3pm on Tuesday came in at 9am today.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tremek posted:

Sweet truck but that's A LOT of black real estate to try and keep clean :v:

Airstream trailers are the poo poo btw

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Yeah, I really don't love black cars (have had ... 10 or so...) but here we are. It's a truck, it's not going to get washed much if I'm being honest.

Airstreams look super cool but are hideously expensive - like new they're >$100k for something the size that we're looking at. For contrast there are ridiculously nice travel trailers that may not have that iconic look, but are bigger inside and still coming from higher-end RV companies for ~1/4 to ~1/2 that.

Up to this point I haven't ever shopped for or even been around a travel trailer so I'm pretty blown away by how nice they can be especially relative to the outlay. Check this ridiculous thing out: https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=KhjKMYaSyev

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tremek will you adopt me?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Double post. Stayed in a really weird hotel yesterday. Obviously intended to be an extended stay, but it's really in the wrong area for such a thing (no nearby bus service, on the edge of town, etc). They showed up as being only $2/night more than Motel 6, and a lot closer, so I went there.

Didn't expect an actual suite. Microwave (if you can call it that.. I put a personal frozen pizza in there for 8 minutes and the dough was still raw, cheese barely melted, cooking instructions said 3 1/2 minutes), half-width fridge (but still a top/bottom fridge), king size bed, recliner, desk, ethernet jacks in the room, plus wifi, range top, toaster, sink with an actual garbage disposal, ceiling fans... and the TV only got like 5 channels (all OTA.. it tried to get all of the local ones, but most came in pixelated to hell if at all... they advertise cable, but I'm guessing they're trying to cut expenses - 5 cars in the parking lot).

They left a stuffed animal on the bed, with a weird note:

I tucked the bear into bed before leaving. Maybe it'll get a chuckle out of the staff.

I wound up finishing the pizza off on the range. Not exactly ideal, but the dough was straight up raw after so long in the microwave that the cooking platform that the box came with was smoldering.

You know it's a quality place when they list men's clubs in the "handbook" they leave in the room. :v: They also left the typical Gideon's Bible, along with a couple of books about Hinduism, which was different but interesting. Usually in an extended-stay you at least get a pot and pan, and maybe a plate/bowl/fork/spoon. Not here, but they had them for sale at the front desk. :haw:

.... and I just realized, pretty sure I left my glasses there. :doh: (I have prescription sunglasses, wore those when I left)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Curious to hear about your experiences with that 7.3 gas engine, Tremek.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Tremek posted:

Yeah, I really don't love black cars (have had ... 10 or so...) but here we are. It's a truck, it's not going to get washed much if I'm being honest.

Airstreams look super cool but are hideously expensive - like new they're >$100k for something the size that we're looking at. For contrast there are ridiculously nice travel trailers that may not have that iconic look, but are bigger inside and still coming from higher-end RV companies for ~1/4 to ~1/2 that.

Up to this point I haven't ever shopped for or even been around a travel trailer so I'm pretty blown away by how nice they can be especially relative to the outlay. Check this ridiculous thing out: https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=KhjKMYaSyev

Air streams cost for a reason. It's the inherent build quality. (I'm not a fan of them either, headroom...)

The one you linked looks nice. In 3 weeks of full timing, won't. They're hideously cheap in build and get the moniker stick n' staple from the bus nuts.

Grand Design or Momentum is gonna be some of the "better built" stick n' staples. Insulation, water cap, and holding tank capacity are important if you're going to be living in it.

Tremek posted:

TLDR we're still waiting for our house to get unfucked from the fire, the lease on the rental house is up soon, my kids can't go to school, I can't fly for work - so I have thusly convinced my family that we should go on a 'social distancing' tour of the country with a travel trailer since none of us have to be anywhere specifically and I can work anywhere I have internet for the time being.

Nice 7.3!
Also lollll this seems to be becoming a thing now.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Curious to hear about your experiences with that 7.3 gas engine, Tremek.

Sure thing. It seems good and torquey as-is; the Tremor comes on 35" Duratracs and 4.30 gears, and maybe most importantly it has the new 10 speed auto behind it which seems very adept at keeping it in its power band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUNYBoRIOL4

It makes good cam-in-block noises. With that said I'm going to call Whipple today and find out what the lead time is looking like before they start selling their PD blower kit for this new engine. 430/470 isn't bad but 750/700 sounds way mo' betta. PS the 7.3 in this truck is more than $8k cheaper than the 6.7 diesel option. If I leave it stock I'm pretty sure I could drive the truck for years and never come close to the TCO of a diesel even at 50% the MPG while towing.

cursedshitbox posted:

Air streams cost for a reason. It's the inherent build quality. (I'm not a fan of them either, headroom...)

The one you linked looks nice. In 3 weeks of full timing, won't. They're hideously cheap in build and get the moniker stick n' staple from the bus nuts.

Grand Design or Momentum is gonna be some of the "better built" stick n' staples. Insulation, water cap, and holding tank capacity are important if you're going to be living in it.

Nice 7.3!
Also lollll this seems to be becoming a thing now.

Word, Grand Design is at the top of my list but I'm not finding many around here that fit the bill. Jayco may not be quite AS well-built as Grand Design but I get the impression it's well-regarded too. How are you & David?

Tremek fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 7, 2020

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Your video is private btw.

Grand Design will be heavy as gently caress too. Boost cures all that ails you. Jayco is well regarded, much like Lance for the pickup campers. The support network makes it for them. He and I are doing pretty good, ironically going down a similar path for 2020. How's you and the family?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

What makes a camper bedroom CPAP-prepped?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Tremek posted:

Holy gently caress don’t buy a jayco. Mine is a turd. 2015 eagle premier 32’. Just don’t.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

Your video is private btw.

Grand Design will be heavy as gently caress too. Boost cures all that ails you. Jayco is well regarded, much like Lance for the pickup campers. The support network makes it for them. He and I are doing pretty good, ironically going down a similar path for 2020. How's you and the family?

Whoops, apparently I had to publish the video. Should work now.

Man Grand Design keeps percolating to the top of the list. Need to go back and look at their floorplans again.

re: boost, if I don't go nuts, how likely am I to hurt the 7.3 towing with the blower?

re: similar plans, are you guys still looking at going off-grid in NV or is that evolving?

Family is good. No one sick, just stir crazy. Seriously first-world problems.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

gently caress. I was cleaning my glasses this afternoon and they snapped in half. Fortunately I have some prescription safety glasses sitting around, but they're giving me an annoying eye ache.

I found an online glasses place that says they'll have a new pair out to me on Thursday. Hopefully they arrive and fit and work. The old glasses were three or four years old at this point, so definitely due for a replacement. I imagine daily wear just fatigued the bridge, and they failed right around the weakest point. When things reopen I'm going to get my eyes checked and get some proper glasses fitted.

But hey the good news is I also found the sunglasses I thought I'd lost.

Been there, done that, I had to work for like a week with super glue + tape holding my piece of poo poo glasses together.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
that sounds pretty good. scoots well too.

Worst thing you'll encounter is ultra-low octane fuels in like NM that won't do you any good with boost.

nah gently caress all that. water rights are expensive and hard. Probably OR/WA to set up an automated outpost(think health packs from gaming). building a truck camper at the moment to go travel around the country/ North America. 2020 hosed the pooch which affords unique opportunities like this.

hell yeah good to read, you guys need a break.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

that's impressive. how's the transmission do with kickdown? 10 speeds can get pretty gear hunty, how's that? sounds nice! more questions/observations:

1. that's a pretty high redline (6,000? 5,800?) for a big rear end cam in block, but I was surprised to note it's an oversquare design. I'd think undersquare would give better torque characteristics for the application.
2. what kind of fuel economy are you returning thus far?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Galler posted:

This looks pretty slick and would be worth every penny even if insurance covered everything

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Tremek posted:

Also traded in the '13 Land Cruiser to the dealer too. The LC was a good truck but had the poo poo kicked out of it by hail, fire, and bad wrong-side pumpers at Costco, so I bid it a fond adieu and now it's the dealer's problem to figure out what the do with its hail damage etc. Last night was the last night with the Raptor; I'll miss some of it but I think the experiences we will get out of the Tremor + trailer will be worth it.

This is awesome! I had a friend who did a similar thing last year with his family. He started his own business and was able to work remotely. They rented out their home while their new house was not quite finished so for a few months they traveled thousands and thousands of miles and it was an awesome experience for them.

Bolded part - I honestly wish I was in a spot to have bought your TLC (that spot being me convincing my wife it would have been a good idea). I hope you got a good value out of it with all the stuff you had on it. I keep looking at 200's for sale. It will 100% be the next thing I buy. My wife keeps wanting more landscaping stuff for the house which I think is boring but once we buy and kill enough plants maybe she will see the light.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Tremek posted:

you could have sold the cruiser and bought one of my japanese diesel campers...what were you thinking??

ha definitely listen to the experts like CSB on travel trailers, i see one year old enormous ones that look amazing with slideouts and everything for $20k and I don't think they are damaged it is people locally selling them saying they used it 4 times and need to sell

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

everdave posted:

you could have sold the cruiser and bought one of my japanese diesel campers...what were you thinking??

ha definitely listen to the experts like CSB on travel trailers, i see one year old enormous ones that look amazing with slideouts and everything for $20k and I don't think they are damaged it is people locally selling them saying they used it 4 times and need to sell

It's always damaged. Open up the cabinets and such and look for *any* delamination. Wallpaper and the like will usually hide discoloration, but it'll bulge. Push on the corners and see if the paper moves.
I've still been camper shopping even though buying one, even at 18 thousand dollars i'm still seeing water damaged units. which in that case, buy one for $dirt and rebuild or go new. Either way, make damned sure it doesn't leak.
(carry 4" wide Eternabond with you on the road)

Lippert has two types of slides. Gear driven and cable. The Grand Design will be using gear driven slides. They're absolutely more reliable than cable. Slides are a fucker that always like to leak or fall out of alignment. Look at how the slide sits against the camper body when closed, that'll give you an idea of alignment, and how much it'll leak. The average joe here should be able to align a cable slide.
If you are slide out shopping, make sure the floorplan is usable with the slides in. If there's a toilet emergency or you need to access some part of the coach in a hurry you're not going to have the 5 minutes to kick the slide out.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

Can they be had used for decent prices? Do they depreciate enough to make it worth it?

I've seen some of the newer ones and man they just look really well done.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tremek posted:

Also traded in the '13 Land Cruiser to the dealer too.

So what you're saying is you need a new avatar. OR Can I ask you about your LAND CRUISER?

(yeah I know, someone removed the red text ages ago) :v:

I'd never even heard of the Tremor before.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

tremor is new i am pretty sure

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Interesting purchase. The big tires suck for towing. I'd consider getting some f350 factory takeoffs for when you're towing. You'll get better mileage but more importantly, way better towing manners. And craigslist oem takeoffs with 0 miles are usually pretty cheap. The more sturdy tire pumped up to 70 or 80psi will do wonders in rutted up roads and especially crosswinds at hwy speed.

On a longer trip, the mental fatigue gets really bothersome when you're always concentrating on the tail wagging the dog.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Speaking of Subarus... *WHISTLES* HEY CT WHERE YA AT?

We have two broken, barely running Subarus, and 3 bicycles, just in this one photo. There's actually 6 bicycles in the garage, but who's counting?

The WRX is on the original timing belt (2003 with 173k miles) and "shifting" is more of a "can you find a gear?" exercise (I'm the only person that can reliably find gears aside from roommate, according to him). The Outback... well... we all know how you feel about Outbacks at this point. It runs fine, it just pisses ATF everywhere.

The check engine light on the WRX has been on for years - it was on when I started it, then went off as I was pulling it into the garage (now-roommate is out of town, can't get in the driveway without blocking the sidewalk without at least pulling his car up against the door.. figured I'd pull it in since the head unit alone is worth more than the car). :stare: I don't have my OBD2 adapter, otherwise I'd see if it just got reset, since it's been sitting for a couple of weeks. He's been riding dirty on out of state plates for ages. Shut it off and restarted a couple of times, light definitely works, turns off as soon as it fires. Took it for a quick trip around the block. Light didn't come back on, but it's almost as slow as the Brokeback. That turbo ain't doin poo poo, and the cloud of smoke pouring out the exhaust doesn't suggest what's left of the turbo is happy. I really didn't want to flog it since it's on the original timing belt, but I did wind it up a bit, and... it's like driving a 5 speed version of the Outback. It's a dog. The turbo is not turboing. Butt dyno says 16 second car. This car has a "stage whatever" tune with injectors, intercooler, turbo, Accessport, etc, but even a bone stock base model Impreza should feel fast as hell compared to the nearly 2 ton EJ251 Outback.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 8, 2020

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
If he has an Accessport he should be able to read codes with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So uh, he loaned me the Accessport to pull codes on my Brokeback.. before I knew they were tied to a VIN. It's sitting at my old place right now... :sigh: Not that it would have ever worked with my ECU anyway. It's an early Accessport that only works with turbo EJs, mine is very much non-turbo (well, his is too at this point, judging by how it drives, but at some point it did have a turbo....)

I was more hoping to just check readiness monitors anyway. If they were actually showing ready, I was going to haul rear end and try to find a place that could smog it (difficult right now), just so he can finally get the drat thing registered here. I'm sure an Accessport can do that, but I have no idea how. I know how to do it with Torque and a generic dongle.

At last check, it was throwing over 25 codes (which was the point where my cheap OBD2 dongle threw up its hands and said IT'S FUKT MATE, IT'S REALLY TOTALLY FUKT). I have no loving idea how it was still running. It belches smoke and reeks of gas, and it's not boosting at all, but it does run. With that many codes I figured it was a bad ground (a bad ground in a Subaru? WHY I NEVER)