Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Everyone calls me Sweetkins and I've never had a villager ask for a catchphrase (not once in 50 days)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

tildes posted:

No you’re good

Great ,thanks! Worked like a charm. :)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
you know what would be better than every single villager adopting the same dang catchphrase and all becoming super samey? if they, i dunno, did they same thing they did re: nicknames and asked for your opinion, so I wouldn't have to send them to isabelle's happy fun time reeducation room for saying stuff that doesn't match their appearance or personality at all*.

(*deirdre, you are a deer, deers do not go "nyaa", stop it)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

All villagers who use the word "villain" will be quietly disappeared

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I've only been asked to change a catchphrase once, but once I did, it immediately spread to the other villager of the same personality type (jock) so I had thought it might have something to do with that. A week later, it's still only the two jock villagers using it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So I just realized- an amiibo card puts a villager in boxes on the third day in a row you use it, right? That's guaranteed as far as I know.

If a villager asks to leave, they're in boxes the next day, and there's an empty plot the third day.

So, if for instance my friend just got Raymond, who I think is swell, and she's not super into... I just need to let her know when a villager in my town asks to leave. She scans an amiibo. Next day my villager is in boxes, she scans it a 2nd time. Third day I've got an empty plot and she's forced Raymond into boxes.

There's nothing wrong with this plan, is there? She's got access to bootleg amiibo cards so it's no problem for her to use them to boot someone- except for the fact that it's less random and therefore less fun. I just need to wait for someone to naturally ask to move out.

Blaziken386 posted:

you know, i really wish custom catchphrases didn't spread as fast as they do in this game. I remember it being a thing in the past, but it wasn't nearly as contagious.

I shouldn't have three different villagers decide to take felicity's custom catchphrase in one day. it doesn't fit them.
I got lucky, the first villager that asked me was Olaf the smug anteater. I made him say "sniff sniff" 'cause it's vaguely snooty and he's got a big nose.

Well, now my whole town has a cold 'cause they're all saying sniff sniff. But it works.

I have kept in mind going forward that catch phrases are extremely contagious, and so I've been giving them stuff that's not super specific to that villager. Or else I've got to make peace with the idea that a villager's personal phrase might start a trend of other villagers mimicking them.

Reneigh the horse wanted a new catch phrase and I couldn't resist making her say "né," and if other people start doing it to it won't make sense, except in the sense that they're mindlessly copying the cool thing Reneigh is saying 'cause they think she's cool or whatever. I'm kind of interested to see how far a villager's personal fad phrase could spread. It's fun to think of the phrases as still belonging to certian villagers, and when other villagers use it it's a kind of influence thing. It'll be interesting to see who abandons Olaf's "sniff sniff" camp, and who sticks with it. It'll be funny if Olaf abandons it and other villagers are following an old trend months later or whatever.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I love it when catchphrases spread! It's like they've been talking and living their lives on the island while I've been asleep

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Eiba posted:

Reneigh the horse wanted a new catch phrase and I couldn't resist making her say "né," and if other people start doing it to it won't make sense, except in the sense that they're mindlessly copying the cool thing Reneigh is saying 'cause they think she's cool or whatever.

just pretend that all your villagers really like anime

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My villagers all run around calling me Iron D or Boss and saying 420 blaze it!

It's a great village

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Captain Hygiene posted:

All villagers who use the word "villain" will be quietly disappeared

Would you prefer, "boss?"

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Can I time travel forward and then backward to complete projects but still be on a real date time?

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Eiba posted:

I got lucky, the first villager that asked me was Olaf the smug anteater. I made him say "sniff sniff" 'cause it's vaguely snooty and he's got a big nose.

Well, now my whole town has a cold 'cause they're all saying sniff sniff. But it works.

Yes, a cold.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

redcheval posted:

A very vibrant pink/orange summer vibe. I exclaimed at the sight

Ah yes! I was building my boardwalk today and needed clothes to match the work

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

causticBeet posted:

Can I time travel forward and then backward to complete projects but still be on a real date time?

That's just what I did! Worked fine. Oddly enough it's treating today like a new day--new stuff in the shops, four more fossils. Got CJ instead of Kicks. Wasn't expecting that. False alarm I’m an idiot

E-flat fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 7, 2020

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

I've only been asked to change a catchphrase once, but once I did, it immediately spread to the other villager of the same personality type (jock) so I had thought it might have something to do with that. A week later, it's still only the two jock villagers using it.

Catchphrases are really vocal cord parasites from MGSV

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Anyone have any decent villagers in boxes? I just put in my last plot and I don't want to let Tom Nook decide who gets it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:negative: I was playing an hour ahead of my time zone so I could do more later night stuff. I accidentally set the system clock back to the correct time and now all my turnips are dead

:negative: :negative:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Come hang out! It's raining, the twins have tambourines for sale, Leif is here, Ribbot is making honeycomb floor, and I have way too many recipes in my free stuff area.

57WVL Closed! I especially appreciate whoever it was that finally took my extra Easter recipes off my hands.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 7, 2020

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Eiba posted:

So I just realized- an amiibo card puts a villager in boxes on the third day in a row you use it, right? That's guaranteed as far as I know.

If a villager asks to leave, they're in boxes the next day, and there's an empty plot the third day.

So, if for instance my friend just got Raymond, who I think is swell, and she's not super into... I just need to let her know when a villager in my town asks to leave. She scans an amiibo. Next day my villager is in boxes, she scans it a 2nd time. Third day I've got an empty plot and she's forced Raymond into boxes.

There's nothing wrong with this plan, is there? She's got access to bootleg amiibo cards so it's no problem for her to use them to boot someone- except for the fact that it's less random and therefore less fun. I just need to wait for someone to naturally ask to move out.

I have kept in mind going forward that catch phrases are extremely contagious, and so I've been giving them stuff that's not super specific to that villager. Or else I've got to make peace with the idea that a villager's personal phrase might start a trend of other villagers mimicking them.

Reneigh the horse wanted a new catch phrase and I couldn't resist making her say "né," and if other people start doing it to it won't make sense, except in the sense that they're mindlessly copying the cool thing Reneigh is saying 'cause they think she's cool or whatever. I'm kind of interested to see how far a villager's personal fad phrase could spread. It's fun to think of the phrases as still belonging to certian villagers, and when other villagers use it it's a kind of influence thing. It'll be interesting to see who abandons Olaf's "sniff sniff" camp, and who sticks with it. It'll be funny if Olaf abandons it and other villagers are following an old trend months later or whatever.

Oh no, this means my entire village will be calling everyone “babygirl”

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Hey all - Celeste is visiting, and I still have a bunch of freebies on the island from earlier. Turnips are like 216 too if you're desperate.

https://turnip.exchange/island/70dd7a1f

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
is CJ and some boring freebies actually interesting enough to people to open my island? First time he's visited for me.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

benisntfunny posted:

is CJ and some boring freebies actually interesting enough to people to open my island? First time he's visited for me.

No, other people can't sell to CJ or Flick.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

benisntfunny posted:

He won't interact with visitors, so you better have some sweet freebies. Or just open up and maybe some people will come by anyways to see your place and they're bored.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Some people get off on watering flowers.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Some people get off on watering flowers.

That's nobody's business but my own

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Gehenna has turnips at 613.

https://turnip.exchange/island/a91bc1ca

Open for the next hour or so (until the store closes).

Edit: My first time using this and I didn't even post here before I had a queue of eight people.

Edit 2: Locking the queue for now.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 7, 2020

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

peepsalot posted:

He won't interact with visitors, so you better have some sweet freebies. Or just open up and maybe some people will come by anyways to see your place and they're bored.

Nah not worth the visit then. Nooks is under construction and the freebies are meh.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

benisntfunny posted:

I just like seeing other people's islands because they're rad. I've only had the game a week so it's inspiring to know that eventually my island won't be so boring and empty

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I have Tex all boxed up and ready to go if anybody wants him.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

It's inspiring to see what others have done with their islands. I like drawing on everyone's message boards, too.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

WorldWarWonderful posted:

Gehenna has turnips at 613.

https://turnip.exchange/island/a91bc1ca

Open for the next hour or so (until the store closes).

Edit: My first time using this and I didn't even post here before I had a queue of eight people.

Your listing isn't private, you're gonna have redditors trampling your flowers and drawing dongs on your noticeboard :ohdear:

Granted goons would also draw dongs on your noticeboard but still.

There's a checkbox on the last screen when creating the listing that makes it private. A public listing with a high turnip price and no fee will be sniped by bots instantly.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Opening up Inu Isle for a bit:

Saharah is here with Mortar Wall (pretty neat), Ranshackle Floor, and rugs I forgot about.

Leopold is crafting Steel-Frame Wall.

Nooks have a Loom. edit: GONE

Spare DIY drop-off/pickup on the right-side beach.

If anyone has a spare Saharah ticket, I’m sitting on 4 and would love to get a new floor. Willing to trade.

Pls don’t go nuts on my peaches. If you need a couple it’s fine though.

Dodo: 5TP35

edit: turnip price is trash and I don’t support the stalk market

Seymour Buttz fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 7, 2020

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Seymour Buttz posted:

Opening up Inu Isle for a bit:

Saharah is here with Mortar Wall (pretty neat), Ranshackle Floor, and rugs I forgot about.

Leopold is crafting Steel-Frame Wall.

Nooks have a Loom.

Spare DIY drop-off/pickup on the right-side beach.

If anyone has a spare Saharah ticket, I’m sitting on 4 and would love to get a new floor. Willing to trade.

Pls don’t go nuts on my peaches. If you need a couple it’s fine though.

Dodo: 5TP35

Don’t forget to post your turnip price on your classified lol

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer

Foam Monkey posted:

Having a surprise meteor shower! Dodo is 0GNNC if anybody is interested.

Edit: Saharah is on the east side as well.

I’m going to be going to bed, but I’ll leave my Switch on for a while longer if anybody wants some shooting stars.

Closed for now. Thank you to all my visitors!

Foam Monkey fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 7, 2020

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Oh no did Gehenna crash? I was just getting there :(

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Licarn posted:

There's a checkbox on the last screen when creating the listing that makes it private. A public listing with a high turnip price and no fee will be sniped by bots instantly.

People are desperate enough to have bots for something that happens this regularly? Lesson learned I suppose. I should pay more attention next time.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

It's all fun and games until someone snakes your golden roses.. I guess it was my fault for not blocking them off. Oh well, they'll grow back.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

WorldWarWonderful posted:

People are desperate enough to have bots for something that happens this regularly? Lesson learned I suppose. I should pay more attention next time.

I can't log into your world. I keep trying the Dodo Code but it isn't working

I'm Jack Veser

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

theblackw0lf posted:

I can't log into your world. I keep trying the Dodo Code but it isn't working

I'm Jack Veser

Check your PM!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

In the queue as well. If the DODO code is different, would appreciate a PM. Will tip. :)