Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Well this is fairly surreal and not at all surprising:

https://twitter.com/davidmcswane/status/1258035535936921601

It's like Fyre Festival meets government procurement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Boats seems like the easiest vehicles to make unmanned?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yep, sounds like Georgia.

To be completely fair, it could easily have been florida. Or Alabama. Mississippi. Louisiana. Texas, you bet. Now that I think about it, Tennessee isn't out of the question. Actually, it may just be easier to list the places in the southeast it couldn't have been.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Post it in the navy thread, coward

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Wingnut Ninja posted:

https://twitter.com/davidmcswane/status/1258035541670612992?s=20

Four tweets in and it's already incredible

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

It reads like the movie War dogs but with masks instead of guns

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dong Quixote posted:

That dude is 100% eating a bullet. There's no spinning "I'm an American mercenary hired to violently overthrow Maduro." I wonder if he'll just disappear or if his body will be dragged through the streets.

I would like to be wrong about this: their lives are forfeit, but it will be because the Venezuelan government tries to get concessions from the US government. Pompey and/or the president wipes their rear end on a Venezuelan flag on Fox News as part of their gemius negotiating strategy, and subsequently everyone captured in Venezuela is hanged in the Plaza Bolivar.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

look at how much poo poo our navy slams into, now imagine its a drone programmed by a government contractor that couldn't get hired by google

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

PookBear posted:

look at how much poo poo our navy slams into, now imagine its a drone programmed by a government contractor that couldn't get hired by google

I imagine a contractor having no idea what to do, steals open source drone software and mashes it into boat controls.

There's now a constant alarm going off because the inertial measurement is always wrong, and the boat can't make it more than 15 miles out because the auto return on low battery keeps getting triggered.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Making things unmanned is really easy until you need them to do something besides navigate with dubious safety.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

And take it from me, boats have a LOT of things that can go wrong.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

And take it from me, boats have a LOT of things that can go wrong.

Well thats easy, just don't care about them. See: RQ/MQ-1.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
It's easy to make unmanned boats. It's harder to make ones that do anything useful after you remove all the men.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Michael Lewis' The New New Thing does a great job using the horrors of Jim Clark's 155' automated megayacht as a framing device

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://twitter.com/wabenews/status/1258054325835792386

:what:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/kylieatwood/sta...umber%3D211pti1

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/JackTheScruffin/status/1258179896750125057

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

now i want a mask with a gold fringe

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Dammit it’s HIPAA not HIPPA. This flyer may be flawed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Doc Hawkins posted:

now i want a mask with a gold fringe

"I know my rights!!!"

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Good news: Minnesota is finally banning child marriage!
Bad news: It'll be only the third state in the country to have done so...

https://twitter.com/StarTribune/status/1258097668536111106?s=19

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Found out from a coworker he was on the team house podcast talking about Eagle Claw.

Looking for a link now

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Syrian Lannister posted:

Found out from a coworker he was on the team house podcast talking about Eagle Claw.

Looking for a link now

Read that as white claw and automatically thought less of him

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
YouTube link

https://youtu.be/MeN-GpBDnKM

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1257857639037513730?s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

These people just can't keep any masks on can they

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

I get what you're saying, but you pulled a De Blasio there.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Milo and POTUS posted:

These people just can't keep any masks on can they

History repeats itself.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Ceiling fan posted:

I get what you're saying, but you pulled a De Blasio there.

Oh god what did he do this time

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

https://twitter.com/davidmcswane/status/1258035572557438977

I was just trying to be an intermediary and take the VA for a ride, it wasn't supposed to happen to me, I'm the good guy!

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I think it’s a generational thing beyond the increase in demand. Every group has a pretty stellar gym built into their facilities on top of the 5-7 other gyms around post. That’s not even factoring in all the stuff online for fitness. Even the most basic routine you can find online will still get you a decent amount of muscle if you stick to it. Strong lifts is as simple as you can get, not to mention CrossFit, despite its major flaws, keeps people honest as far as doing their workout is concerned.

Laranzu posted:

Look at the difference in kit a normal everyday soldier is expected to carry between the 80s and now. Seems like that could easily account for some of the difference.

Nah, this is nonsense. Other nations SF don't look like americans, and it's not due to a lack of access to gyms(!?) or carrying less gear.

American soldiers just really, really like steroids.

They also really like to ride all the way to the objective, look at that recent seal fuckup where they helidropped the team on top of an enemy bunker.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Xakura posted:

Nah, this is nonsense. Other nations SF don't look like americans, and it's not due to a lack of access to gyms(!?) or carrying less gear.

American soldiers just really, really like steroids.

They also really like to ride all the way to the objective, look at that recent seal fuckup where they helidropped the team on top of an enemy bunker.

Who are you and what is your experience with SOF teams?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
"American soldiers" huh?

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

not caring here posted:

I'm gonna guess that this is actually a smart move seeing as how we don't know enough about covid-19, especially with regards to people getting reinfected and the long term side effects that we still don't know about.

I'm sure it will change but for now it seems actually quite prudent.

Is it confirmation bias when you see an organization — that you associate with being a huge mess — do something right, you immediately think they did something wrong/stupid because it was so out of character for them?

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Oh, word?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Three act tragedy.

https://twitter.com/tariqnasheed/status/1258082027523305478

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

A grad school friend of mine, a Taiwanese woman who *hates* China for somewhat obvious reasons, sent our WhatsApp group of alumni friends a link to that “Plandemic” “documentary” that alleges that the race to find a COVID vaccine is a plan by Fauci to make pharmaceutical companies rich. It’s anti-vax pseudoscience at its most deceptive and lovely so you can expect it to take off and spread like wildfire over the next few days and weeks.

For the life of me, I don’t understand why someone hasn’t given Andrew Wakefield a stern talking to and sent him to his room without dinner for being so naughty. That big bully has a lot of blood on his hands for kicking off the modern anti-vax movement.

Edit: done. Anti-vaxxers just piss me off so much. I’ve been to too many places where children die from preventable illnesses due to lack of vaccines, and these gullible Westerners with the privilege of being able to reject medical science with minimal personal consequence are the loving worst.

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 7, 2020

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

you should edit this post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Speaking of Cheech where's he been lately