Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Snowy posted:

I’m late for pizza chat but I made this the other day and it came out fantastic, it was a huge hit

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe.html

rolling it out into a large cast iron skillet is not the worst idea, i'm not super thrilled with my current pizza stone and as 12" pan might work for a deeper crust

or I could just buy a giant 14-16" cast iron skillet :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

TheManWithNoName posted:

I went to several Costcos in the UK and the one outside Edinburgh had Dalwhinnie cheaper than at the Distillery.

I do not abide their food court though. No one wants to eat a “jacket potato” with tuna.

Using canned tuna for anything other than tuna salad sandwiches is an affront.

Blame yourself or god.

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love

Paul MaudDib posted:

rolling it out into a large cast iron skillet is not the worst idea, i'm not super thrilled with my current pizza stone and as 12" pan might work for a deeper crust

or I could just buy a giant 14-16" cast iron skillet :thunk:

They make cast iron pizza pans, friend

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Pump Jockey posted:

They make cast iron pizza pans, friend

I'd probably have to adjust the baking times+temps to take the cast iron into account (with either a skillet or a pizza pan), and probably pre-warm it a bit, but I'm intrigued.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Snowy posted:

I’m late for pizza chat but I made this the other day and it came out fantastic, it was a huge hit

I've been making an almost identical version from the King Arthur site, and it is indeed amazing. Cooking in the cast iron gives it such a wonderful crust.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

Clavavisage posted:

Hell yea a 422 limerick goon, RiP Hilltop

Did Hilltop close for good?

Now the only reason to go to Limerick will be the sweet Costco gasoline

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

binge crotching posted:

That is one weird rear end person doing the video, but it's a solid recipe. My partner makes dumplings for us regularly, and I agree that the pre-made aren't anywhere as good as just making them yourself.

Don't you badmouth Sohla like that, she's innocent and I agree with her world view of "shits hosed lets drink."

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
poo poo's not that bad actually

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

The Hambulance posted:

Did Hilltop close for good?

I'm not entirely sure, i'm not local and heard through fam that the owners were looking to retire or something but i'm sure the current state of the world isn't making things easy for them

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Snowy posted:

That recipe owns, especially if you oil up the pan so you get that crispy fried dough texture.

I just bought a tiny propane fired pizza oven so I could make pizzas like this:

I had to buy it from MEC, which is a poo poo company, I'll put a suggestion that Costco needs to sell them next time I go

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
if you make pizza dough learn how to make a proper dough ball and press/stretch it properly, it will make so much difference vs rolling dough straight out of the knead

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
never let a rolling pin touch your pizza dough

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

large hands posted:

never let a rolling pin touch your pizza dough

unless you're making certain types of thin crust that are rolled or sent through a sheeter and docked, sure

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I'm eating Sukhi's chicken tikka masala. It came from the 'Co. Shits good.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

The pouch meals are sub-par. They lack FLAVOR.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Walrus posted:

if you make pizza dough learn how to make a proper dough ball and press/stretch it properly, it will make so much difference vs rolling dough straight out of the knead

Yup, process is everything.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

BONGHITZ posted:

The pouch meals are sub-par. They lack FLAVOR.

The pouches of tikka masala seems pretty legit to me. Although I do sprinkle in a couple hits of the last dab hot sauce in there to spice them up a little.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
just went to Costco for the first since time like late feb (i stocked up before all the rubes knew what was going to go down :smug:) at the richmond, california ones at around 9:15 or so.

I expected a line to get in but... nope just everyone could walk in. Masks are mandatory here and usage was good; but it was kinda busy as gently caress holy poo poo. like social distancing really wasn't possible because everyone would just stand in the middle of an aisle or there'd be 2 carts parked across from each other in an aisle and the only way is just to go through the middle, so gently caress it i ain't gunna be that patient and def walked past a lot of people because it was pretty busy and people didn't seem to care. Tons of people just meandering and stopping randomly out in the open too instead of pulling off to the side to ponder if they really want that item or not, and it's like, yeah gently caress that i'm just going to swipe around you.

inventory seemed pretty drat full. They had tons of paper towels (the main reason I went), toilet paper, and sort-of-barely had boxes of clorox wipes and got all 3. weirdly there was kind of a supposed "line" for wipes they had 2 employees were handing those out one at a time, seemed pretty much everyone in there had a cart with TP+PT+Wipes and people wandering trying to find the wipes. I guess those are the really really hot commodity. i didn't really need them but i picked up a bundle of wipes anyways (costco.txt)

no bread flour but my king arthur flour online order should get here saturday so i didn't really care.

checkout was fast though so that's good.

generally an OK experience, had better, had worse. tbf i think i'd have preferred to stand n wait in a line outside and have less people inside than just having everyone go in, but oh well. at least i know what i wanted going in (cheeses, sparkling water, ningshim ramen, shampoo/conditioner, some fruit and veggies, cleaning products) so i just bee-lined to those right away and got out in 20 mins.

trader joes seems to be the one store that's actually handling the whole situation extremely well, cordially, and professionally.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 6, 2020

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Xaris posted:

just went to Costco for the first since time like late feb (i stocked up before all the rubes knew what was going to go down :smug:) at the richmond, california ones at around 9:15 or so.

I expected a line to get in but... nope just everyone could walk in. Masks are mandatory here and usage was good; but it was kinda busy as gently caress holy poo poo. like social distancing really wasn't possible because everyone would just stand in the middle of an aisle or there'd be 2 carts parked across from each other in an aisle and the only way is just to go through the middle, so gently caress it i ain't gunna be that patient and def walked past a lot of people because it was pretty busy and people didn't seem to care. Tons of people just meandering and stopping randomly out in the open too instead of pulling off to the side to ponder if they really want that item or not, and it's like, yeah gently caress that i'm just going to swipe around you.

inventory seemed pretty drat full. They had tons of paper towels (the main reason I went), toilet paper, and sort-of-barely had boxes of clorox wipes and got all 3. weirdly there was kind of a supposed "line" for wipes they had 2 employees were handing those out one at a time, seemed pretty much everyone in there had a cart with TP+PT+Wipes and people wandering trying to find the wipes. I guess those are the really really hot commodity. i didn't really need them but i picked up a bundle of wipes anyways (costco.txt)

no bread flour but my king arthur flour online order should get here saturday so i didn't really care.

checkout was fast though so that's good.

generally an OK experience, had better, had worse. tbf i think i'd have preferred to stand n wait in a line outside and have less people inside than just having everyone go in, but oh well. at least i know what i wanted going in (cheeses, sparkling water, ningshim ramen, shampoo/conditioner, some fruit and veggies, cleaning products) so i just bee-lined to those right away and got out in 20 mins.

trader joes seems to be the one store that's actually handling the whole situation extremely well, cordially, and professionally.
Toilet paper AND clorox wipes in the Bay Area? How was the meat stock?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Zugzwang posted:

Toilet paper AND clorox wipes in the Bay Area? How was the meat stock?
Actually really good. No rotissere chicken, but seemed like they had plenty of steaks /bulgogi meats/ carne asadas. I didn't look at the aisle with the ground beef and cheaper/trad cut stuff, that may have been more depleted but didn't seem so.

i almost grabbed some but my fiance is a vegetarian and so i really can't eat that much meat before it goes bad and our fridge/freezer combo is pretty full as it is. trader joes had plenty of meat in last i went so i usually just get a smaller portion there when i want to

e: i'm guessing the paper towel/toilet paper scarcity may be over because there's only so much seniors and hoarders can hoard and go through, and probably most people have at least 2-3 bundles stashed already.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 6, 2020

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

fwiw, my global operations strategy professor was saying the TP shortage had very little to do with supply chain failure and everything to do with product/customer alignment.

The immediate and severe demand reduction in “commercial” toilet paper (businesses, restaurants, hotels, etc) put commercial TP manufacturing on hold while domestic TP (plush, five-ply, soft, whatever) was ridiculously under capacity.

Then it became a bit of a self-fulfilling phenomenon where as soon it was hinted that there was a supply shortage, a run on TP began which amplified the manufacturing product/customer mismatch; supply chains had to be rerouted and lower-grade, unbranded TP had to be parceled out from 40-pack boxes into 6-pack shrink and logistics shifted from Sysco to Kroger (etc).

There will probably be a HBR case study about it for future SCO peeps to write papers about.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
There's also a legitimate demand increase for consumer TP. Everyone's making GBS threads at home now. Before the lockdown 90% of my toilet time was at the office.

Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime, that's why I poo poo on company time. :colbert:

I hope my office toilet is okay. It's probably lonely. Sitting in the dark all day. :smith:

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Xaris posted:

i didn't really need them but i picked up a bundle of wipes anyways (costco.txt)

You realize you're contributing to the problem, right? There are people that actually need that stuff.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Xaris posted:

Actually really good. No rotissere chicken, but seemed like they had plenty of steaks /bulgogi meats/ carne asadas. I didn't look at the aisle with the ground beef and cheaper/trad cut stuff, that may have been more depleted but didn't seem so.

i almost grabbed some but my fiance is a vegetarian and so i really can't eat that much meat before it goes bad and our fridge/freezer combo is pretty full as it is. trader joes had plenty of meat in last i went so i usually just get a smaller portion there when i want to

e: i'm guessing the paper towel/toilet paper scarcity may be over because there's only so much seniors and hoarders can hoard and go through, and probably most people have at least 2-3 bundles stashed already.
Thanks for the intel. :buddy:

Especially given the fact that so many people in the Bay Area have small places due to rent being 6 billion dollars per square foot, I was wondering where the hell people were putting all these packages of TP they were buying. Like, were they building toilet paper forts in their homes or using the big packages as additional coffee tables or what.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug
I went to Costco today for work. Picked up TP and C-Fold towels, as well as snack foods for the hungry people. When I was done getting pretzels, I started walking by some people who I found out were in line for the meat section. I found out because some old crone started yelling at me to not cut in the meat line as I walked by. When I (politely) told her I wasn't there for any meat, she thought the correct response was to yell louder for me to get to the back of the meat line. Before I could tell her to go gently caress herself, a heroic Costco Meat Line Marshal rushed over and explained to her that I was just passing by and she needed to calm down and be quiet.

The servants of the Church move in mysterious and effective ways. PBUC

There was plenty of meat, TP (limit one), paper towels, kleenex, flour, sugar, and I even saw some yeast. The only thing they were still out of was the Clorox wipes.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

number 1 snake fan posted:

You realize you're contributing to the problem, right? There are people that actually need that stuff.

but i can trade and barter them for goods in our madmax apocalypse :twisted:

also it's not like i don't need it, i just opened one and started using it, i usually wipe down various grocery-store goods before i put them into the apartment. but it's not on the critical item because i have paper towels and various solutions of disinfectants in spray bottles that works well enough, it isnt too hard to dilute some bleach or all-purpose cleaner to spray and wipe.

Zugzwang posted:

Thanks for the intel. :buddy:

Especially given the fact that so many people in the Bay Area have small places due to rent being 6 billion dollars per square foot, I was wondering where the hell people were putting all these packages of TP they were buying. Like, were they building toilet paper forts in their homes or using the big packages as additional coffee tables or what.
Yeah I think consumer demand/production/media panic combo seems to have stabilized, or they just dont have room. YMMV of course, not sure how it's going to look on a Saturday or something, but Weds at 9:15am was a very good time.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 6, 2020

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Got gas today at Costco. They are enforcing wearing masks when filling up now. At least here in CA. I'm cool with it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I went to a grocery store and a hardware store today. I had to get screws because my porch step came off and I don't want someone to fall and sue me. Zero people there had masks, and one guy was talking to an employee about how overblown this thing is. Naturally. Maybe 50% of the people had masks on at the grocery store.

People are really stopping taking this seriously. I guess it went past what people could take to inconvenience them so now they don't give a poo poo.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The whole trip takes a lot longer when you don't know what's out of stock.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Doing my first pilgrimage today since the virus started. I'm gonna buy so much bullshit

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PokeJoe posted:

Doing my first pilgrimage today since the virus started. I'm gonna buy so much bullshit

I volunteered for today's trip because I wanted some extension cords and I like browsing for clearance items that I've seen there and kinds want but haven't bought. Almost got a shop light but decided the cords were enough.

Then found out I didn't buy enough annuals to plant. I thought it was a lot.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I went to a grocery store and a hardware store today. I had to get screws because my porch step came off and I don't want someone to fall and sue me. Zero people there had masks, and one guy was talking to an employee about how overblown this thing is. Naturally. Maybe 50% of the people had masks on at the grocery store.

People are really stopping taking this seriously. I guess it went past what people could take to inconvenience them so now they don't give a poo poo.

def seems like it in general that people are just whatever. hell traffic today in the bay area (at least on 580) was almost as bad as a normal rush-hour day, like it was slammed full and i was like what the gently caress.

fortunately it's county (maybe state?) law to wear masks to pickup food/beverages/shop and employees have to kick people out who don't, so that seems to at least abolish some of the stubborn idiocy.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Xaris posted:

but it's not on the critical item because i have paper towels and various solutions of disinfectants in spray bottles that works well enough, it isnt too hard to dilute some bleach or all-purpose cleaner to spray and wipe.

Exactly, you have the means to use different stuff. There are disabled people that can't do that poo poo that need the pre-moistened wipes.

E: i have a friend with EDS whose wrist and fingers will dislocate if she tries to pick up a jug of bleach and if she tries to use a spray bottle. Please think about vulnerable people other than you.

number 1 snake fan fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 7, 2020

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Finally got some Grillo's Pickles and boy are they good pickles

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

pnumoman posted:

Finally got some Grillo's Pickles and boy are they good pickles

:yeah:

I munch on em every day. I introduced them to my dad (he got me my first membership :3: ), and he loves em.

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 7, 2020

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

DNK posted:

fwiw, my global operations strategy professor was saying the TP shortage had very little to do with supply chain failure and everything to do with product/customer alignment.

The immediate and severe demand reduction in “commercial” toilet paper (businesses, restaurants, hotels, etc) put commercial TP manufacturing on hold while domestic TP (plush, five-ply, soft, whatever) was ridiculously under capacity.

Then it became a bit of a self-fulfilling phenomenon where as soon it was hinted that there was a supply shortage, a run on TP began which amplified the manufacturing product/customer mismatch; supply chains had to be rerouted and lower-grade, unbranded TP had to be parceled out from 40-pack boxes into 6-pack shrink and logistics shifted from Sysco to Kroger (etc).

There will probably be a HBR case study about it for future SCO peeps to write papers about.

There was an MSNBC article on this. While there were a few folks who went nuts hoarding, it was mostly due to the difference in supply chains.

For any goons in L.A. still trying to get TP, try the Vallarta grocery chain. It's not the absolute finest, but it's not commercial sandpaper, either.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
TP has reached equilibrium

it's the yeast that is getting pwned

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
You can buy 1lb of SAF yeast for like 15-20 bucks on ebay and have enough yeast for a year or more.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Buying yeast is not a problem if you are willing to buy an enormous commercial-size bag of yeast, it is the smaller consumer size pouches they can't get since the packaging is made in India and China. The yeast manufacturers have said they have plenty of yeast, just not enough packaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xaris posted:

fortunately it's county (maybe state?) law to wear masks to pickup food/beverages/shop and employees have to kick people out who don't, so that seems to at least abolish some of the stubborn idiocy.

Some poor employee is going to be murdered by someone who thinks their FREEDUMS are being imposed upon. Because said employee dared to try to kick them out from buying their Starbucks or McDonald's... :sigh:
https://kfor.com/news/local/at-least-2-people-taken-to-hospital-following-shooting-in-oklahoma-city/