Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Vagabundo posted:

Good. gently caress him, the stupid fuckwit.

I can't improve on this.

First day of training. It's coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Alex Twal appears to have been using his off time in his home gym

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

iajanus posted:

Alex Twal appears to have been using his off time in his home gym

That’s suspiciously good judgment for an NRL player.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Vagabundo posted:

Meanwhile, Bryce Cartwright may not get to play, because he's an anti-vaxxer.

"Cartwright added: I know people in my industry with vaccine-injured children and the herd NEVER stuck around for them. These are our bodies and we decide what goes in them."

What a fuckwit. Apparently papalii, soliola and tapine all refused the shot on religious grounds as well.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

aejix posted:

"Cartwright added: I know people in my industry with vaccine-injured children and the herd NEVER stuck around for them. These are our bodies and we decide what goes in them."

What a fuckwit. Apparently papalii, soliola and tapine all refused the shot on religious grounds as well.

Like I can understand people if their religion forbids them for some reason

When that's not the case? gently caress off, you're a poo poo player anyway, nobody will miss you this season.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Vagabundo posted:

Meanwhile, Bryce Cartwright may not get to play, because he's an anti-vaxxer.

I heard Gallen was defending his right to decline the injection...

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
gently caress the raiders are stupid. It's almost like Stick has handpicked the biggest morons in the world. Sure he didn't sign Papalii but he did chase him hard when he was coaching parra

Tapine and Papa I knew were pretty dumb. Papalii called the police on himself once

But Sia is disappointing. I didn't think he was as stupid

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Burn Down Canberra posted:

gently caress the raiders are stupid. It's almost like Stick has handpicked the biggest morons in the world. Sure he didn't sign Papalii but he did chase him hard when he was coaching parra

Tapine and Papa I knew were pretty dumb. Papalii called the police on himself once

But Sia is disappointing. I didn't think he was as stupid

Had to look this up - shouldn't really be laughing about drink driving but couldn't help myself: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-27/canberra-raiders-star-josh-papalii-guilty-drink-driving/8475986

"When police asked why he made the calls, he told them: I wanted to make a point."

What possible point was he trying to make?! :psyduck:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

aejix posted:

Had to look this up - shouldn't really be laughing about drink driving but couldn't help myself: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-27/canberra-raiders-star-josh-papalii-guilty-drink-driving/8475986

"When police asked why he made the calls, he told them: I wanted to make a point."

What possible point was he trying to make?! :psyduck:

That he's an idiot?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

iajanus posted:

Like I can understand people if their religion forbids them for some reason

When that's not the case? gently caress off, you're a poo poo player anyway, nobody will miss you this season.

Yeah, I have sympathy for those that have reasons for not wanting to vaccinate. Bryce Cartwright can gently caress right off. He doesn't get a free pass for being a dumb oval office. "Vaccine injured children" is an astonishingly stupid term I had not heard of before today.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

quote:

The NRL has ended its contract freeze and a number of clubs are making roster moves ahead of the season restart on May 28.

Melbourne’s Queensland Origin backrower Felise Kaufusi this week activated an option which ties him to the club until the end of 2021.

South Sydney has done the same with Latrell Mitchell and Jaydn Su’a.

Wests Tigers have snapped up 19-year-old forward Shawn Blore from Penrith.

Blore was granted a release from the Panthers on the Tigers announced his signing on Friday.

The contract runs to the end of 2021 and Blore is rated highly, having captained Penrith’s SG Ball team to a national championship title in 2018 and then representing the Junior Kangaroos and NSW.

Tigers recruiting.....good? Must be injured or something.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

MiniSune posted:

Tigers recruiting.....good? Must be injured or something.

end of dayz

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
If he’s got potential the tigers will knock that right out of him

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12330662

quote:

The Queensland Government has confirmed three Gold Coast Titans players who refused a flu shot have been stood down while the sport's flu-jab policy is reviewed.

This afternoon, Queensland's chief medical officer revealed three players – Bryce Cartwright, Nathan Peats and Brian Kelly — had been stood down by the NRL while the ARLC reviews its stance on anti-vaccination.

This is good.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

fuxsports posted:

Peats has reportedly agreed to have the vaccination and is no longer stood down.

and further on

quote:

Despite pressure to adopt a “no jab, no play” policy, the ARL Commission has revised a vaccination waiver clause to allow NRL players to play if they refuse to get a flu shot.

However, ARLC chairman Peter V’landys has warned players who do not sign the altered waiver will be banned.

The governing body on Thursday tinkered with the clause after it emerged Canberra trio Josh Papalii, Sia Soliola and Joseph Tapine refused to sign the waiver on religious grounds and Gold Coast’s Bryce Cartwright defiantly rejected vaccination. Cartwright has since agreed to sign the waiver.

The Daily Telegraph reports Manly trio Dylan Walker, Marty Taupau and Addin Fonua-Blake also baulked at the original waiver.

Overall three per cent of NRL players refused a flu shot that formed part of strict biosecurity measures that will allow the league’s resumption on May 28.

“A clause has been taken out. It used to say they believe by not having it (vaccination) that would put them medically at risk - well they don’t believe that,” V’landys told AAP.

“So we have changed that to say that they have been advised by their medical officer that they are at risk. It should’ve been like that in the first place to be honest.

“So if any player doesn’t execute the waiver they will not be able to play.” Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton on Thursday backed Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s call that players who refused vaccination should be banned. However, V’landys was comfortable with players who refused a flu shot to continue playing as long as they signed the revised waiver.

“My advice is that the people who didn’t want to sign the waiver, if the clause was changed they would sign without a problem,” he said.

“We have listened to them (players), we have made amendments but that’s final. If they don’t sign it, they won’t play.” Dutton upped the ante after Morrison’s “no jab, no play” call on Wednesday, saying the league should apply a blanket ban for players who refused the shot. “I think that’s spot on,” Dutton said on 2GB radio, adding the Warriors’ exemption into the country was contingent on health commitments. Dutton added the anti-vaccination movement had been discredited for some time and religious grounds should not be exempt.

But V’landys said he was comfortable with restarting the competition with 97 per cent of players vaccinated.

“We respect the government because they have assisted us all the way through on our target day of May 28,” V’landys said.

“But in the protocols we had approved by government it allowed us to allow players not to vaccinate on cultural and religious reasons.

“And I think we have met the government expectations by having 97 per cent of the players vaccinated.

“If it was 50 per cent we would have a different perspective on it.” The waiver change came after Cartwright launched a spirited defence of his stance on social media on Wednesday night.

“I won’t be bullied into making decisions that could impact my health and the health of my family,” he posted.

“Giving us the ultimatum of get(ting) the shot or be stood down is coercion.”

St George Illawarra forward James Graham had a simplistic take when asked about vaccination.

“Ask your doctor, don’t ask footballers,” he said

James Graham, the brain of Rugby League. What a world we live in.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
loving anti vaxxers making GBS threads in all of our cornflakes once again

edit: in saying that, I'm pretty sure 97% is well above the rate for the overall population.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 12:01 on May 8, 2020

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Contra Duck posted:

If he’s got potential the tigers will knock that right out of him

No, we'll just get him going well and then we'll give him to Melbourne

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

loving anti vaxxers making GBS threads in all of our cornflakes once again

edit: in saying that, I'm pretty sure 97% is well above the rate for the overall population.

They have always been the stupid vocal minority. The problem we hit recently (thinking of the Samoa measles epidemic) was that herd immunity was supposed to protect those that couldn't be immunised, but instead let these anti-vaxx dumb cunts get away with their dangerous lies for longer than they ever should have.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Jono C posted:

They have always been the stupid vocal minority. The problem we hit recently (thinking of the Samoa measles epidemic) was that herd immunity was supposed to protect those that couldn't be immunised, but instead let these anti-vaxx dumb cunts get away with their dangerous lies for longer than they ever should have.

Seems like the kinda thing Adam Blair and his instagram ínfluencer wife would be into, guess we would've heard by now though. I know Frank Winterstein's wife is deep into anti-vax and a variety of other scammy poo poo, one of the Aussie current events programs did a segment on her.

edit: Nathaniel Roache has joined the Warriors squad, meaning the 14 day quarantine restarted after 4 days. If/when Fusitu'a comes over he'll probably have to do it alone.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 9, 2020

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

edit: Nathaniel Roache has joined the Warriors squad, meaning the 14 day quarantine restarted after 4 days. If/when Fusitu'a comes over he'll probably have to do it alone.

Apparently the club's leadership team decided that they were happy to restart their quarantine so that Roache could train with them rather than having to be on his own for two weeks. It's a nice gesture I guess.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12331177

Two games each for Cleary and May. Seems fair enough, I just hope it doesn’t get reduced on appeal.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Hi, I have an unrelated, stupid, and possibly offensively naive question.

Does Rugby League have a father/son rule? I.E. if the dad played X amount of games for a club, then said club gets first dibs on the son in the draft.

I am very sorry that this is a stupid question. I'm from Frankston, Rugby League is not my game.

And a similar question: Lets say there was a famous Queenslander who moved down to Sydney to play Rugby League. He is really good so he gets into the Qld. Origin team. Once his career has finished he settles in Sydney, has a son who is also very good at Rugby League. Does the son play Origin for NSW or Qld.? Has such a thing ever happened, fathers and sons playing for different states?

Once more sorry for the silly questions.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

BrigadierSensible posted:

Hi, I have an unrelated, stupid, and possibly offensively naive question.

Does Rugby League have a father/son rule? I.E. if the dad played X amount of games for a club, then said club gets first dibs on the son in the draft.

I am very sorry that this is a stupid question. I'm from Frankston, Rugby League is not my game.

And a similar question: Lets say there was a famous Queenslander who moved down to Sydney to play Rugby League. He is really good so he gets into the Qld. Origin team. Once his career has finished he settles in Sydney, has a son who is also very good at Rugby League. Does the son play Origin for NSW or Qld.? Has such a thing ever happened, fathers and sons playing for different states?

Once more sorry for the silly questions.

Those aren't silly questions. Rugby league doesn't have a draft so the first bit doesn't apply. There is a father/son rule for Origin but I don't think it's ever been used. That hasn't stopped the Sydney media from whinging about Tristan Sailor and Lachlan Lam being eligible for QLD though. I'm not entirely sure whether the sons have any choice in the matter either.

Steve Rogers (born in QLD) played for NSW under residents and origin rules, while his son Mat (born in NSW) played for QLD as he moved here as a 9 year old and played all his footy up here.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

ili posted:

Those aren't silly questions. Rugby league doesn't have a draft so the first bit doesn't apply. There is a father/son rule for Origin but I don't think it's ever been used. That hasn't stopped the Sydney media from whinging about Tristan Sailor and Lachlan Lam being eligible for QLD though. I'm not entirely sure whether the sons have any choice in the matter either.

Steve Rogers (born in QLD) played for NSW under residents and origin rules, while his son Mat (born in NSW) played for QLD as he moved here as a 9 year old and played all his footy up here.

Thanks for that.

A follow up question that just occurred to me. Lets say you get a kid that grows up in Melbourne and inexplicably takes up Rugby League as his sport of choice. He ends up playing for the Storm and being very very good. Would he get to play origin? If so where? Are there any famous examples of non NSW?QLD people being good enough at Rugby League in Aus. but being denied Origin?

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Thanks for that.

A follow up question that just occurred to me. Lets say you get a kid that grows up in Melbourne and inexplicably takes up Rugby League as his sport of choice. He ends up playing for the Storm and being very very good. Would he get to play origin? If so where? Are there any famous examples of non NSW?QLD people being good enough at Rugby League in Aus. but being denied Origin?

The Victorian, assuming he was born and raised in Melbourne and never resided in QLD or NSW, would not be eligible to play Origin unless his father had. I can't think of any notable Australian players who wouldn't be eligible for Origin selection off the top of my head. Hopefully the Storm help develop the game in Victoria and we get to handle that problem in the future.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

ili posted:

The Victorian, assuming he was born and raised in Melbourne and never resided in QLD or NSW, would not be eligible to play Origin unless his father had. I can't think of any notable Australian players who wouldn't be eligible for Origin selection off the top of my head. Hopefully the Storm help develop the game in Victoria and we get to handle that problem in the future.

Young Tonumaipeia is Victorian I believe, and I think Justin O'Neil is from Northern Territory but played junior league in Queensland so qualified that way.

I would be in favour of some sort of 'legacy' rule giving a minor salary cap concession for sons of former players at a club though, I think that'd be pretty cool for fans without being a regular enough thing to tilt the competition.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 12, 2020

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Thanks for that.

The rules now state that in order to play Origin, you need to have been born in either state, played in either state before the age of 13 or had a father play Origin.

ili posted:

Semi Radradra played for Australia because he qualified under residency and they paid better than Fiji, but was ineligible to play Origin.

Jono C fucked around with this message at 10:14 on May 12, 2020

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Junior clubs would make sure a player played in either NSW or QLD before they turned 13

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Smorgasbord posted:

Young Tonumaipeia is Victorian I believe, and I think Justin O'Neil is from Northern Territory but played junior league in Queensland so qualified that way.

Yeah, I had Young Tonumaipeia in mind but I doubt he'll ever play Origin. O'Neil's a Queenslander, Will Chambers was born in QLD but moved to the NT as a young kid and came back here as a 13 year old. NSW have picked James McManus (Scottish then moved to the NT) and Aussie Jum. I don't think McManus would qualify under current rules, not sure exactly when Tamou came over.

Jono C posted:

The rules now state that in order to play Origin, you need to have been born in either state, played in either state before the age of 13 or had a father play Origin.

Semi Radradra played for Australia because he qualified under residency and they paid better than Fiji, but was ineligible to play Origin.

Yeah Semi's a good pickup.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Keeping abreast of the origin rules and their application is a great way of giving yourself a migraine. The rules are constantly being bent and broken and literally nobody cares if it's their side benefiting.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFi2mT9G65A

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Never gets old

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

ili posted:

NSW have picked James McManus (Scottish then moved to the NT) and Aussie Jum. I don't think McManus would qualify under current rules, not sure exactly when Tamou came over.

I'm pretty sure Tamou is the reason they changed the rules. He was 13 when he moved over, although I had to look it up, I thought he was closer to 16. It was farcical that he only chose to play for Australia so he could play Origin.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

ili posted:

Yeah, I had Young Tonumaipeia in mind but I doubt he'll ever play Origin. O'Neil's a Queenslander, Will Chambers was born in QLD but moved to the NT as a young kid and came back here as a 13 year old. NSW have picked James McManus (Scottish then moved to the NT) and Aussie Jum. I don't think McManus would qualify under current rules, not sure exactly when Tamou came over.

Yeah Semi's a good pickup.

Ah yep I always get Chambers and O'Neill mixed up.

I read they're rejigging international eligibility again so guys like Josh Papali'i, Anthony Milford etc have to give up Samoan eligibility if they want to play origin.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

I read they're rejigging international eligibility again so guys like Josh Papali'i, Anthony Milford etc have to give up Samoan eligibility if they want to play origin.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/league-stars-to-be-forced-to-make-call-between-state-and-country-20200509-p54rcy.html

quote:

The International Rugby League has introduced changes to qualification rules that will prevent players from representing at NSW or Queensland at State of Origin level and playing for a country other than Australia in Tests.

The change now is that it's the global governing body saying you can't play Origin and a coutnry that isn't Australia. Previously it was ARL policy that in order to play Origin you must make yourself available for Australia. Of course they made exceptions in the past (Adrian Lam playing for PNG, Tonie Carroll being allowed back after playing for the Kiwis in the 2000 world cup). There was technically nothing stopping them from allowing SBW to play for NSW, other than trying to strengthen the Australian team.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Single ref, half the fun. Vale thread title.

I do agree with the six again call for ruck infringements and binning and full penalties for melbourne storm repeat offenders.

What I don't want is the video ref getting involved in the ruck again. It slowed it down and was patently unfair as it was never applied to all stoppages, transgressions often being detected well after.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i’d be ok if they got rid of the video ref

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

I don’t mind the changes but the timing is terrible. These changes should be made before the start of the season, not when we’re two rounds in.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

I like the 6 to go option, it infuriated me how the Storm, Roosters, Souths and their ilk gamed the system by constantly infringing on their goal line more or less deliberately conceding a penalty so they could get a breather and reset their line. For it to work though, the refs need to have some courage about using it liberally ALONGSIDE the sinbin not their usual cowardly options particularly with those teams.

Warriors have pulled off what I think is a fantastic signing for next year - Toby Rudolph from the Sharks. Big young front rower with a great motor and actually dents the line. I have him in my NRL Fantasy team so watched him closely first two games and was very impressed, big wraps on him coming through the grades too. https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/warriors/121491811/nrl-warriors-sign-highly-rated-sharks-prop-toby-rudolf-from-2021 . Now if only we could convince Adam Blair not to pick up his option :negative:

P.S Less than 2 weeks until kickoff, this thing could actually loving happen!??!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Smorgasbord posted:

P.S Less than 2 weeks until kickoff, this thing could actually loving happen!??!

I hope so. They have a draw but no venues which worry me.