Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

getting nostalgic for mandatory instant fail stealth sections in engines not built for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

trying to jack off posted:

getting nostalgic for mandatory instant fail stealth sections in engines not built for it

ah, I see you've made it to jedi outcast then

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

ah, I see you've made it to jedi outcast then

lmfao, the whole time i played that section i was thinknig about how cool it would be if it actually took advantage of using force powers to manipulate people and the environment instead of me running straight to the vents and then just popping out to stand by the alarm console swinging my lightsabre at anyone that came near

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It's extremely funny that that section is followed by the biggest set piece in the game where you and Luke go Dynasty Warriors on a million sith then blow up the entire place, like Kyle Katarn just forgot he was a Jedi for half an hour. I know that's always the case in those sections but it's so particularly loving dumb lol

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's extremely funny that that section is followed by the biggest set piece in the game where you and Luke go Dynasty Warriors on a million sith then blow up the entire place, like Kyle Katarn just forgot he was a Jedi for half an hour. I know that's always the case in those sections but it's so particularly loving dumb lol

lmfao, i love it so much

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

badass main character: i just cut through 1000 guards and all without even getting a scratch on me
badass main character [suddenly sees 3 guards awkwardly positioned around a single control panel spinning in place]: hmm, i better not raise the alarm, maybe there's another way around

me: oh hell yes, now the real game begins

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

note to self for good stream idea: collecting a list of mandatory instant fail stealth sections and playing them all back to back

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In the Shenmue one the guards kick Ryo out and then he goes to sleep for 23 hours

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

In the Shenmue one the guards kick Ryo out and then he goes to sleep for 23 hours

lmfao, shenmue ftw

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

note to self for good stream idea: collecting a list of mandatory instant fail stealth sections and playing them all back to back

hahaha, that would be amazing!
Also if you drink, take a shot whenever you're detected and fail. :D That could spiral out of control pretty quickly though, haha

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

That's pretty much the first two Splinter Cell games iirc

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Has anyone played This Land Is My Land, by any chance? I can definitely see myself tackling this in a stealthy way. I'll probably wait for a discount though, unless it's amazing - since I'm not exactly desperate for a new game at the moment. Definitely interesting, though!

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

it looks interesting but i would never spend that amount of money on early access

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

it looks interesting but i would never spend that amount of money on early access

Yeah, that's fair - it's a bit steep. I MIGHT spend that on an EA game, but it'd have to be really good and/or about to be released anyway

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So it looks like Wildfire came out today. I've played some and it's pretty cool so far. The way that you use elemental magic keeps the sneakathon gameplay from being too cliche. The story is pretty old hat, though - you play a rando villager who discovers a fallen meteor and gets MAGIC POWERS. You are then pursued by a generic Emperor Badguy who destroys your village etc etc. You get your powers gradually - first fire, then water, then earth, then I think air (haven't gotten that far yet). Your powers don't really let you become a murder machine but instead alter the environment to facilitate stealthing. Your flame powers can set a grass fire that causes a distraction, your water powers can place you in a bubble that lets you soar over obstacles, your earth powers let you create vines that entangle your enemies and so on. Although I have to mention that it is possible for the fires that you set to rage out of control, killing everyone on the map. So far the gameplay is pretty fun, the maps are short enough to hold your attention and the puzzles are interesting without being too obtuse. If the game has a fault it's that it can be a bit linear sometimes but there's still enough creative problem solving that it's not too noticeable. Also the guards made some references to Thief 2, which was pleasing.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Wildfire looks cool -- the lead dev says he's obsessed with Far Cry 2 and most of the systems are inspired by that, which is funny when you think about the game being a pixel side scroller but also makes perfect sense

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

"Remember Imp, this is a sneaking mission. Try not to get caught!"
sorry, couldn't resist

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

StealthBros, I need some intel. Is there any reason to buy Hitman 1 anymore or should I just get Hitman 2 with the backwards compatibility stuff. Apparently all the levels from H1 are in H2 if you buy the legacy thing?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

StealthBros, I need some intel. Is there any reason to buy Hitman 1 anymore or should I just get Hitman 2 with the backwards compatibility stuff. Apparently all the levels from H1 are in H2 if you buy the legacy thing?

yeah they imported all the levels from 1 into the 2 engine (which is basically identical apart from a couple things). no real reason to buy 1 now. i think they're doing the same thing with 3 when that comes out too but i dont know when that is

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I played through 1 when it was new and then did the legacy thing once 2 came out and I didn’t see any significant difference between the two, the only differences are minor and as far as I can remember were all improvements imo

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
There's a small amount of content in 1 not in 2 but don't worry about it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They're doing the same thing with HITMAN3 too, gonna be hype as gently caress.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I hope 3 brings back the weapons room like in Silent Assassin or Blood Money. Give me a Paul Denton apartment with a secret compartment where I can look at all my rubber ducks and coins

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

This might be a hall of fame win for the patient gamer. We’ll see.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
2 should be like $20 so don't hesitate to grab it now if you wanna play. I'm sure they'll give you access to all of them in 3 without issue once it comes out too.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Did they ever allow your progress in Hitman to transfer to Hitman 2? Is level mastery still a thing in Hitman 2?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Brutakas posted:

Did they ever allow your progress in Hitman to transfer to Hitman 2? Is level mastery still a thing in Hitman 2?

No to the first thing and yes to the second. I think they are allowing item/weapon transfer from 2 to 3 though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

American McGay posted:

They're doing the same thing with HITMAN3 too, gonna be hype as gently caress.

gently caress really lol. It's gonna be like 200 gigs.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

In Training posted:

gently caress really lol. It's gonna be like 200 gigs.

filling up my entire PS5 with Hitman 3

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

net cafe scandal posted:

This might be a hall of fame win for the patient gamer. We’ll see.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
im hype for ghost of tsushima which looks like it could be primarily a stealth game or at least played that way. but deep down really just wishing for new tenchu game :pray:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

apropos to nothing posted:

im hype for ghost of tsushima which looks like it could be primarily a stealth game or at least played that way. but deep down really just wishing for new tenchu game :pray:

I’m really excited for it but I’m hoping that they really mean all the “customize your abilities and gear so you can play your way” stuff because I definitely want to play it as a combat game instead of stealth lol. The mode that makes the game black-and-white, adds a film grain effect, and adjusts the audio so it sounds like an old movie too makes me really excited to play it like it’s The Sword of Doom 2

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Why's everyone trying to convicne themselves that the American Ninja game is gonna be good. Have things really gotten that bad.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

apropos to nothing posted:

That was Sekiro dude

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That was Sekiro dude

This

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
sekiro is some drat win...but lol at the stealth

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It's funny playing Sekiro knowing it began development as a literal Tenchu game, the outskirts and estate you can tell exactly how it was intended to play and that obviously falls away later. I dunno I find stuff like that interesting

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah it's funny that they made a hyper dense stealth area in a game where you can 3x faster than every enemy

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I'm gonna probably get Ghost of Tsushima but i'm gonna best Sekiro and do all the optional poo poo I missed the first time before I do. I'm REALLY rusty now, though -- some games I can put down for a year and come back to them fine, but I'm struggling hard now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

goferchan posted:

I'm gonna probably get Ghost of Tsushima but i'm gonna best Sekiro and do all the optional poo poo I missed the first time before I do. I'm REALLY rusty now, though -- some games I can put down for a year and come back to them fine, but I'm struggling hard now

i picked it back up after not having played a fromsoft game in like a year and died to the first tutorial boss cause i forgot which button was block lol