Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Depends, do you plan on using Dark Hawkeye or Charlotte?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is Valkyrie or Rune Maiden better for Reisz? I remember seeing some talk of this earlier in the thread but don't remember how far back.

Depends on the rest of your party. If you have someone else that can debuff (dark Hawkeye) then you can go Valkyrie for buffs. If you don't, go Rune Maiden because it's way easier to buff yourself via items and skills than it is to debuff the enemy with them.

Valkyrie's CS is an AoE while Rune Maiden's is single target if you care about that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My team is Duran, Reisz, and Angela. (I'm also open to someone telling me what way to go for them too.) I get bad choice paralysis with RPG speccing.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Depends on the rest of your party. If you have someone else that can debuff (dark Hawkeye) then you can go Valkyrie for buffs. If you don't, go Rune Maiden because it's way easier to buff yourself via items and skills than it is to debuff the enemy with them.

Valkyrie's CS is an AoE while Rune Maiden's is single target if you care about that.

Ok, I think I'll go with Valkyrie since buffing my team will probably be more reliable than debuffing enemies.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Both Buffing and Debuffing are equally reliable. Both sides of Riesz's class trees get skills that make buffs/debuffs better in equal measure.

The only caveat with buffing is that if you have the AI set up to heal with items, they will gleefully stardust herb your buffs away if you get debuffed by something you don't care about :v:

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Most people go Buffer/Light Riesz because half the people can debuff in the game, so she overlaps if she goes dark but has excellent synergy if she goes light.
That being said, with that team set up Riesz can go whatever she wants since neither Duran or Angela can buff stats.

Angela doesnt care what she goes since shes broked as poo poo regardless. Everything dies at 3rd class.

Duran is Light if you want healing and a meatshield, Dark if you want to chop things with greater efficiency.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cool. Appreciate the tips.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I had berserker Duran running around the stockade and on a goof I started controlling him and I thought he had a one shot skill like Hawkeye but no dude just hit that fucken hard

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
It's also worth mentioning that stat ups are more easily accessible through items than stat downs. So if Riesz is your only character capable of stat downs, you should go for it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kyrosiris posted:

Are you gonna do NG+? Because if so oh boy. :allears:

Is NG+ not locked to the characters you beat the game with? Or is it just available for anyone just beating the game once?

What exactly even carries over to NG+ and is there any new content?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

sigher posted:

Is NG+ not locked to the characters you beat the game with? Or is it just available for anyone just beating the game once?

What exactly even carries over to NG+ and is there any new content?
No new content, you get a few chain abilities to use in NG+ though (one per character who completed the game before and a +300% XP bonus one).

And you're not locked to previous characters, you'll start the game like normal, except the game will take the following from the savegame you loaded to start NG+:

-the level of your characters (if you use someone from the previous savegame they will keep their level, people you didn't play before still start at 1)
-chain abilities you unlocked in previous playthroughs
-your entire inventory, except the fast travel items and class 4 items (you'll have to do those quests again after the main story)
E: - li'l cactus locations and -bonuses transfer too

Your class and abilities will be reset if you reuse a character from previous runs (so you would be a level 99 class 1 for a while). Seeds are transferred with the inventory and at least ??? seeds are rerolled so you won't get seeds for a character who was in a previous run but not the current one. The difficulty and story is exactly the same as far as I can tell.

orcane fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 7, 2020

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Oh nice, thanks for the info, but what's the point of the 4th class when it seems like you can only get it at the very end of the game where it has no use. I was hoping to be utterly broken starting the game over again down the line with final classes and such.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Class 4 is basically for the post-story dungeon, and the two bosses. You can also go and take it to steamroll the sanctuary and finish the story boss in 3 casts :v:

And with imported chain abilities you can be broken on class 1 too.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I got my guys to lv 99 and Black Rabite was still a pain in the rear end, great boss would fight again.

I’m excited to start my second playthrough my I’m gonna take a break.

By the way, what would the worst possible team be? I’m thinking:

Vandais Reisz
Nomad Hawkeye
Duelist Duran

Those seem like the worst classes, from what I can gather.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think the worst team is one with a shitload of redundancy. Something like LD Duran, LD Kevin and LL Charlotte, or DL Hawkeye, DD Riesz and DL Charlotte.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Just want to point out that debuffs aren’t nearly as rare in this game as the original, since a lot of characters have passives with on-crit procs that trigger debuffs. Light Duran has attack down, dark Duran and all of Kevin’s classes get defense down, Valkyrie gets magic down and Starlancer gets both attack down and magic down. If you’re not using the (game balance destroying) consumables, buffs are actually harder to find, though Light Kevin and all of Duran’s classes can buff their own attack. Otherwise you need light Riesz for reliable access to buffs.

The crit skills aren’t reliable against normal enemies, but combined with Riesz’ pinpoint chain ability, they proc quickly against bosses, which is where they’re really valuable. So dark Riesz almost always brings less utility than light Riesz. On the other hand, I suspect Dragon Master, at least, could actually be a pretty serious damage dealer, which Riesz’ light classes struggle to do.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I got my guys to lv 99 and Black Rabite was still a pain in the rear end, great boss would fight again.

Vandais Reisz
Nomad Hawkeye
Duelist Duran

Almost certainly it'd be Team No DPS- Light/Dark Duran, Light/Dark Rieze, and Light/Light Charlotte. At least Nomad Hawkeye and Duelist Duran can hit stuff ok, and Vandis Rieze's summon is a fair shot better then Star Lancer's. (I am... less and less enarmored with Star Lancer as it proves to be pretty drat useless outside being buff spells on a stick. Certainty wouldn't find it worth taking to enhance Liege Duran and High Cleric Charlotte.)

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Vandais Reisz
Nomad Hawkeye
Duelist Duran

That wouldn’t be that bad, I don’t think. Nomad and Vanadys aren’t nearly as bad as some people say. Duelist is completely inferior to Edelfrei on paper (rage and wound might be better in practice than I’m giving them credit for) but will still be able to hit 5 different elemental weaknesses with very high melee damage.

I agree with the person who said a team that stacks a bunch of redundant healers would probably be the worst.

Mr. Locke posted:

Almost certainly it'd be Team No DPS- Light/Dark Duran, Light/Dark Rieze, and Light/Light Charlotte. At least Nomad Hawkeye and Duelist Duran can hit stuff ok, and Vandis Rieze's summon is a fair shot better then Star Lancer's. (I am... less and less enarmored with Star Lancer as it proves to be pretty drat useless outside being buff spells on a stick. Certainty wouldn't find it worth taking to enhance Liege Duran and High Cleric Charlotte.)

What is the power on Seraph? Star Lancer gets mor int, but I’ve only taken Vanadys, so I don’t know the differences.

I scoff at the tier list or commentary that put Star Lancer as Riesz’ best class and Vanadys as by far the worst. Star Lancer is the better buffer, but that’s pretty much all she has. If you set Vanadys up properly she’s not that much worse at buffing, but gets better defense and a very solid CS3 with good CS gauge generation.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 7, 2020

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I was about to complain about the fact that the Trials remake folded the Magic Attack and Magic Defense buffs/debuffs into the same status, so Hawk had three elemental jutsus that did damage + debuff and a fourth that just did damage... but then I went and checked and discovered that they did in fact make Dirt Diversion hit a little harder than the others, so at least they were paying attention.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Ferrinus posted:

I was about to complain about the fact that the Trials remake folded the Magic Attack and Magic Defense buffs/debuffs into the same status, so Hawk had three elemental jutsus that did damage + debuff and a fourth that just did damage... but then I went and checked and discovered that they did in fact make Dirt Diversion hit a little harder than the others, so at least they were paying attention.

Yeah. So you can Fire Diversion to slap on the debuff, then chain Dirt Diversion for DPS.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Folt The Bolt posted:

Yeah. So you can Fire Diversion to slap on the debuff, then chain Dirt Diversion for DPS.

The best part of that is imagining Hawkeye yelling POCKET SAND repeatedly.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Magic Attack and Defense were always buffed/debuffed by the same ffect (mind up/down, which changed both INT and SPRT). It was DEX that went away, along with its related effects. I do wish they had reworked them rather than completely doing away with them. Maybe make movement speed and attack rates higher/lower.

It bothers me that two elementals have less spells now :arghfist: Even though, yes, they were essentially useless in the first place

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mr. Locke posted:

Wouldn’t Paladin Duran be more redundant due to Holy Saber? Also I thought Paladin had higher defense but lower attack then Liege? Or does Liege trade those for group healing? My Liege Duran has less STR at class 4 then Rogue Hawkeye at class 4 which is kinda sad tbh. His Spirit also ended up being not that much higher either. drat Liege kinda sucks. And the drat AI wasn’t healing when I needed heals during the optional bosses.

Next run I’m gonna go LD Charlotte, DD Kevin & DD Reisz, I think. Then for my last run I’m gonna roll with LD Reisz, DL Hawkeye and... idk DD Angela probably?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Heithinn Grasida posted:

That wouldn’t be that bad, I don’t think. Nomad and Vanadys aren’t nearly as bad as some people say. Duelist is completely inferior to Edelfrei on paper (rage and wound might be better in practice than I’m giving them credit for) but will still be able to hit 5 different elemental weaknesses with very high melee damage.

I agree with the person who said a team that stacks a bunch of redundant healers would probably be the worst.

What is the power on Seraph? Star Lancer gets mor int, but I’ve only taken Vanadys, so I don’t know the differences.

I scoff at the tier list or commentary that put Star Lancer as Riesz’ best class and Vanadys as by far the worst. Star Lancer is the better buffer, but that’s pretty much all she has. If you set Vanadys up properly she’s not that much worse at buffing, but gets better defense and a very solid CS3 with good CS gauge generation.

Both Freya and Seraph are base 458, but I'd much rather get small then silence as a secondary effect. As far as I can tell, the only stronger one is Jorm on Dark/Light at 525. (Though further backed by Dark classes getting CS for summons.)

Star Lancer is probably fine. Just, y'know, fine. I don't think team buff/debuffs are nearly as important as they were in the original because you get plenty of ways to boost damage out of skills, and the increase on the action elements in the combat system makes damage WAY more avoidable, making stat up/downs less important then they were in the original. And money is more plentiful and getting every weapon/armor upgrade less important, making the Night Market even more exploitable then it already was. I think that Reize as a character a whole suffers because a lot of her worth, especially on her Light Classes, are tied to the value of her buffs. What made her probably the best character after Kevin in the original is just a lot less important in the update.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Wouldn’t Paladin Duran be more redundant due to Holy Saber? Also I thought Paladin had higher defense but lower attack then Liege? Or does Liege trade those for group healing? My Liege Duran has less STR at class 4 then Rogue Hawkeye at class 4 which is kinda sad tbh. His Spirit also ended up being not that much higher either. drat Liege kinda sucks. And the drat AI wasn’t healing when I needed heals during the optional bosses.

Next run I’m gonna go LD Charlotte, DD Kevin & DD Reisz, I think. Then for my last run I’m gonna roll with LD Reisz, DL Hawkeye and... idk DD Angela probably?

Paladin gets 1) A large area Class Strike that hits drat hard, 2) Guard, which lets Duran take damage for his allies when they get hit, and 3) Damage CS Boost III, which lets Duran gain 7% CS every time they take damage and stacks with Damage CS Boost I from base Duran. On average, Paladin is going to get to do a LOT more class strikes and generally hit harder with them then Liege is.

On the flip side, Single-Target CS abilities have actual utility in this game (they're the only Class Strikes that stop enemy action/animation, letting others unload on the stopped target) and Magic Rend from Liege is a GIGANTIC window to beat on stuff, but Light Duran already gets a ST Class Strike at Knight, so it's not exactly unique.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 7, 2020

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I mostly prefer Star Lancer aesthetically, the colours are fantastic and it's my favourite of her helmets and boots (still more revealing than I'd like but there's not much I can do about that)

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
I'm coming up on the end of my first game (Riesz/Duran/Hawkeye); give me some good team compositions for a Kevin/Charlotte/Angela party. Planning on Kevin as main, if that makes a difference.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Mr. Locke posted:

Both Freya and Seraph are base 458, but I'd much rather get small then silence as a secondary effect. As far as I can tell, the only stronger one is Jorm on Dark/Light at 525. (Though further backed by Dark classes getting CS for summons.)

Does small still stop enemies from giving experience? I just assumed it still does without checking.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Mr. Locke posted:

I don't think team buff/debuffs are nearly as important as they were in the original...

They're not simply because all of the big unavoidable attacks in the original are now mostly avoidable.
That said, eventually you will run out of damage increases from skills and need buffs/debuffs to augment yourself further.

Granted the only reason you'd want that is to get your Time Attack as quick as possible (or beat up Black Rabite) which is a pretty niche thing in the game :v:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Does Hawkeye still do Michael Jackson dances when he attacks and opens poo poo?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

sigher posted:

Does Hawkeye still do Michael Jackson dances when he attacks and opens poo poo?

Nah he does finger guns.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Does small still stop enemies from giving experience? I just assumed it still does without checking.

That I honestly don't know.

EponymousMrYar posted:

They're not simply because all of the big unavoidable attacks in the original are now mostly avoidable.
That said, eventually you will run out of damage increases from skills and need buffs/debuffs to augment yourself further.

Granted the only reason you'd want that is to get your Time Attack as quick as possible (or beat up Black Rabite) which is a pretty niche thing in the game :v:

Yeah. Rieze was REALLY important in original SD3 because she was a massive boost to your survivability in a game that could just unavoidably truck your entire party out of nowhere in even random fights. In Trials Remake, her better utility is her damage boosting effects, and while it's nice most characters still get a lot from equipping damage-enhancing or CS-generating skills, and even hard-to-avoid attacks rarely hit you the same way they did in original SD3 barring failing the mechanics-generating attacks on later bosses.

It would probably be better if Light Rieze had ANY personal offensive utility besides her summons, but Star Lancer is limited entirely to Victory CS Boost I, a lousy 5% on enemy kill, while Vandis only adds in her own version of Damage CS Boost III... on a much frailer character then Paladin Duran with no mechanic to exploit it like Guard for Duran. Albut at least she can give herself a full stack of buffs for free when performing any CS, so that's something? (Although Oracle is much better gifted to another character who actually generates CS. Like aaaanyone else. Anyone at all. Except maybe Angela.)

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 7, 2020

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Melomane Mallet posted:

I'm coming up on the end of my first game (Riesz/Duran/Hawkeye); give me some good team compositions for a Kevin/Charlotte/Angela party. Planning on Kevin as main, if that makes a difference.

You can try Dark/Dark/Dark for ALL THE DAMAGE and taking advantage of Charlotte's debuffs.
Or Dark/Light/Dark for Charlotte supporting two titans of destruction.

Kevin and Angela kind of share the same role of being powerhouses, so I don't see the appeal of Light Angela in that party (who needs the day boosts to hit the same potential as Kevin with simple Dream Reed usage.)

Light/Dark/Dark could be interesting if you like playing support yourself.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Haven't seen a lot of people mention this, but the biggest thing I don't miss is the mobs that instantly heal themselves to full if you hit them without killing them within .01 seconds. The closest thing to that annoyance-wise is probably bosses that saber you right before you unleash your max level CS.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

And that's the main game down, and not a single boss touched me.

Now to see what the post game let's me fight... oh just immediately find a Golden Knight 1 on 1 :stwoon:

It's what I wanted immediately after fighting him in dragonsmaw.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

You can try Dark/Dark/Dark for ALL THE DAMAGE and taking advantage of Charlotte's debuffs.
Or Dark/Light/Dark for Charlotte supporting two titans of destruction.

Tell me more about this D/L/D party: is there a better 3rd class for each or is it a six of one, half dozen of the other choice? In the snes game, I used Kevin all of once and Charlotte never, so I have little/no idea of what to expect from them.

quote:

Kevin and Angela kind of share the same role of being powerhouses, so I don't see the appeal of Light Angela in that party (who needs the day boosts to hit the same potential as Kevin with simple Dream Reed usage.)

Light/Dark/Dark could be interesting if you like playing support yourself.

My interest in playing support has been mainly making sure Riesz casts Strength+ and Duran has the appropriate saber up (Hawkeye's AI has been pretty good in terms of debuffs). :v: How much would I (comparably) need to do in terms of support for L!Kevin?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Mr. Locke posted:

That I honestly don't know.

Yeah. Rieze was REALLY important in original SD3 because she was a massive boost to your survivability in a game that could just unavoidably truck your entire party out of nowhere in even random fights. In Trials Remake, her better utility is her damage boosting effects, and while it's nice most characters still get a lot from equipping damage-enhancing or CS-generating skills, and even hard-to-avoid attacks rarely hit you the same way they did in original SD3 barring failing the mechanics-generating attacks on later bosses.

It would probably be better if Light Rieze had ANY personal offensive utility besides her summons, but Star Lancer is limited entirely to Victory CS Boost I, a lousy 5% on enemy kill, while Vandis only adds in her own version of Damage CS Boost III... on a much frailer character then Paladin Duran with no mechanic to exploit it like Guard for Duran. Albut at least she can give herself a full stack of buffs for free when performing any CS, so that's something? (Although Oracle is much better gifted to another character who actually generates CS. Like aaaanyone else. Anyone at all. Except maybe Angela.)

Valkyrie gets Army of One as it’s locked ability (or whatever the name for the innate class passives is), which gives 1% CS gauge every time you damage an enemy. It stacks up pretty fast if you control Riesz, especially if you have someone with Nature Aura. Her strength is pretty high also, higher than Duran’s if she fills out her strength tree. She lacks damage skills herself in her light classes, but can contribute pretty decently if you pair her with someone with sabers.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Phantasium posted:

And that's the main game down, and not a single boss touched me.

Now to see what the post game let's me fight... oh just immediately find a Golden Knight 1 on 1 :stwoon:

It's what I wanted immediately after fighting him in dragonsmaw.

Do you have Angela? Cause if you do, you are in for a treat

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Melomane Mallet posted:

Tell me more about this D/L/D party: is there a better 3rd class for each or is it a six of one, half dozen of the other choice? In the snes game, I used Kevin all of once and Charlotte never, so I have little/no idea of what to expect from them.

My interest in playing support has been mainly making sure Riesz casts Strength+ and Duran has the appropriate saber up (Hawkeye's AI has been pretty good in terms of debuffs). :v: How much would I (comparably) need to do in terms of support for L!Kevin?

I played a game with D/L Charlotte and didn’t like her at all. Her damage with summons was decent, but not great, healing was mostly irrelevant and her support was minimal. She gets good strength, but no good way to use it. I would play D/D Kevin, L/L Charlotte and any Angela. The team doesn’t support Angela really, but she’ll probably be fine anyway. Kevin benefits a lot from sabers and Attack Saber 2.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Using Kevin as support seems like a tremendous waste of punching.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

YggiDee posted:

Using Kevin as support seems like a tremendous waste of punching.

Probably! But I've little experience with him so I'm trying to cover all my bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

I think Warrior Monk could be a really good hybrid support character on a team with MP hungry characters with good melee, like Nomad or Rogue. And Kevin is still Kevin, so he’s going to be doing a lot of damage regardless. Unfortunately healing just doesn’t really seem very important compared to just doing more damage.