Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh hell yes to a new ANYTHING being worked on by Simons, Burns and Pelecanos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

excellent example of a pimp roll (or gangster glide) in this clip. i know it's been said a million times but the attention to detail on this show is pretty incredible.

i spent a fair amount of time studying gangs in college, and the only piece of media other than the wire that has ever really impressed me with both the accuracy in depicting how gangs operate and its seamless presentation in the story was the movie Green Room my favorite example is when imogen poots is looking through the door vent, notices a bunch of boots with red laces, and then panics and announces to the group they're about to be murdered (in traditional skinhead groups, you only earn red laces on your boots when you're a soldier who has drawn some blood. the attack force)

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

God Hole posted:

excellent example of a pimp roll (or gangster glide) in this clip. i know it's been said a million times but the attention to detail on this show is pretty incredible.

i spent a fair amount of time studying gangs in college, and the only piece of media other than the wire that has ever really impressed me with both the accuracy in depicting how gangs operate and its seamless presentation in the story was the movie Green Room my favorite example is when imogen poots is looking through the door vent, notices a bunch of boots with red laces, and then panics and announces to the group they're about to be murdered (in traditional skinhead groups, you only earn red laces on your boots when you're a soldier who has drawn some blood. the attack force)

can you tell us what a pimp roll / gangster glide is?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

God Hole posted:

Apparently in some parts of Europe red laces denote lefty skinheads so that scene didn't work lol

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

escape artist posted:

can you tell us what a pimp roll / gangster glide is?

it's a really pronounced, almost too relaxed swagger, often employed with a unique "hop" or even a limp.

it's a projection of total confidence. someone walking that type of way is sending out some huge flags to people adjacent to organized crime or aware of its players (everyone living in a black neighborhood in Baltimore in this case). At least it was in the 90's/00's, not so sure it's a contemporary street gang social trapping anymore.

StashAugustine posted:

Apparently in some parts of Europe red laces denote lefty skinheads so that scene didn't work lol

well this movie took place in the pacific northwest lol

it's actually a perfect setting for neo-nazis, as when they were having their big cultural moment and recruiting drive in the 80's and 90's, they were aggressively ejected from communities all over the country through a combination of zoning/police enforcement measures. because of oregon's famously lax attitudes about building communes and compounds off the grid, a lot of nomad groups just kind of naturally consolidated out there (among other focal points)

of course you would have some independent nazi compound out in the woods in Oregon. that's where they all are! if that punk band didn't stumble their way into a scandalous murder at that compound, they would have stumbled their way into a scandalous murder at the hippie compound next door and lived through Midsommar instead

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
rewatching in 16:9 and it feels weird

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

rewatching in 16:9 and it feels weird

Pagers! In HD!

They did a surprisingly good job though, I stopped thinking about it real quick.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, Simon got involved in the process and didn't just let them poo poo out a quick release, and for the most part it works really well. Enough that I gave away my old DVD 4:3 copies and just stuck with the Blu Ray.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Man, McNutty is hard to watch in seasons 4 and 5. People go on about the subpar newspaper storyline, but I think it's having to follow McNutty around that does the damage. In which case, even the shorter season isn't to blame, because a longer season would mean more McNutty and ugh.

I have no idea how to fix it though.

edit: ^^^ Ah yeah that rings a bell, didn't HBO start the process and poo poo the bed with it before Simon stepped in?

edit2: I totally misheard Jay Landsman (actual) refer to DSS (Department of Social Services?) as "the SS".

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 4, 2020

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
There's a lot of janky rear end zooms that look really weird in widescreen, its like its suddenly darkplace

Also I forgot entirely about Wallace :smith:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

pokeyman posted:

Man, McNutty is hard to watch in seasons 4 and 5. People go on about the subpar newspaper storyline, but I think it's having to follow McNutty around that does the damage. In which case, even the shorter season isn't to blame, because a longer season would mean more McNutty and ugh.

I have no idea how to fix it though.

edit: ^^^ Ah yeah that rings a bell, didn't HBO start the process and poo poo the bed with it before Simon stepped in?

edit2: I totally misheard Jay Landsman (actual) refer to DSS (Department of Social Services?) as "the SS".

The last rewatch I did really struck home with how much of a despicable rear end in a top hat McNulty becomes over the course of the series. It's a hell of a road from "ain't I a stinker, Major?" in Season 1 to "deliberately stages murder scenes" in Season 5.

Also lol that this season of Bosch has Lance Reddick's character have a compromised past that catches up to him in much the same way it did with Daniels.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Laterite posted:

The last rewatch I did really struck home with how much of a despicable rear end in a top hat McNulty becomes over the course of the series. It's a hell of a road from "ain't I a stinker, Major?" in Season 1 to "deliberately stages murder scenes" in Season 5.

Also lol that this season of Bosch has Lance Reddick's character have a compromised past that catches up to him in much the same way it did with Daniels.

Yeah it's definitely something I missed on my first watch that stands out more the second time. McNulty's not some troubled antihero, dude just sucks. They never should have let him off the boat

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love that the show takes the standard trope of,"Renegade cop who plays by his own rules, the Top Brass hate him!" and demonstrated just how awful that kind of character would be at accomplishing anything, and how enormously frustrating they would be to deal with on a day-to-day basis even for the people who consider him their friend.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Laterite posted:

Jamie Hector plays a better cop than a drug kingpin in Bosch too.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Yeah he does. Riddick is nailing his role as well.

Sad to see it ending next season though.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I started watching Banshee recently (mostly because of recommendations from The Boys thread) and the first thing I said when Frankie Faison was on the screen was "man, Burrell took getting fired HARD"

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
What was the point of McNulty crashing his car twice?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I always took it to be that stupid drunken logic of,"gently caress you, I didn't crash the car that's bullshit and now I'm gonna do the same thing twice just to... prove it?" mixed with a little drunken,"Well if I do it to the other side, it'll balance the car's look out!"

Basically, he was a drunken rear end in a top hat.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Agreed. "No way I ran into that going this speed at this angle, here I'ma prove it."

The smartest guy in the room meets an unmoved pillar.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Ginette Reno posted:

Avon also murdered his girlfriends, murdered kids, tortured and murdered people who stole from him. Murdered the working man for being an honest witness.

Less horrible than Marlo but not by much

How on earth is that “less” horrible?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

narratively, it works perfectly to portray mcnulty's stubborn self-destructive nature. like the posters above said

but if I'm not mistaken, it's also one those "faithfully adapted from real life" things

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Laterite posted:

Compromised, but a decent result, as the guy became a decent cop.

It is still jarring to see Marlo and Daniels chatting in Bosch. Also binging Community, and seeing Omar as an ex con teacher saying “a man’s got to have a code” slays me.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hearing Lance Reddick in Horizon Zero Dawn really threw me, then seeing him in HZD was even more of a mindfuck coming from knowing him so well from The Wire (and somewhat from OZ), but luckily he kills it in that game.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Speaking of Bosch, is it worth picking up, and does the quality stay even?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
I'm enjoying it. The actress that plays his daughter seems wooden in her first couple of seasons.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Syrian Lannister posted:

I'm enjoying it. The actress that plays his daughter seems wooden in her first couple of seasons.

Her eyebrows bother me, as do his absurd sideburns. Very wooly. His choice of sidearm (1911) redeems his grooming.

That said it is pretty consistently good. Was not crazy about the undercover junky season, but it has enough peripheral stuff going on to help keep it interesting. I would watch a show just following J Edgar, or Crate & Barrel.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Crate and Barrel are amazing, I'm also digging Pierce and Vega.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Syrian Lannister posted:

Crate and Barrel are amazing, I'm also digging Pierce and Vega.

Refresh my memory, was Vega the one dating the punk bartender? It just occurred to me he was not in this season (unless I missed him when I got up for a beer)

Mimi Rogers is good too. Gets criminals off, but is really really good at it, and does it because someone has to.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 9, 2020

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I'm rewatching The Wire right now for what must be the first time in like 10 years, maybe more. I remember the last time I watched The Wire, streaming services did not exist and I believe I watched via renting the DVDs either from Netflix in its pre-streaming era or just from the store! So it's definitely been a while, and although it's not something I really think about in this context but I was a very different person the last time I watched this, and I've gotten quite a lot of education about how hosed-up the world truly is - so I guess it's not surprising I am finding the show even more eloquent and resonant at times. And there moments and scenes that I never truly understood.

Like, I just watched the fourth episode of the first season, and it's the one in which McNulty winds up dragging Bubbles along to his kid's soccer game in lieu of missing it entirely. I don't think Bubbles says a single word in the soccer game scene; McNulty introduces him, and Bubs smiles and extends his hand - to which McNulty's wife sighs somewhat and crosses her arms, turning away, not speaking a word to him. Bubs looks ashamed and backs away further while McNulty and his wife argue about who gets to use their child to inflict more pain on the other. The scene, however, is idyllic with happy and well-socialized middle-class kids, all of them white-faced. Bubs just sits on the hood of the car and watches.

We cut to black childlren in the street at night running circles in some anonymous man in a hoodie, in a filthy and dangerous looking area full of trash, with big rats wandering about. McNulty pulls up, dropping Bubs off, and he remarks "Thin line 'tween heaven and here." I sort of got it, but as a white upper-middle class individual who was still in his early twenties and under the financial and medical umbrella of my parents at the time, I did NOT truly understand it. I didn't really quite get why his experience at that soccer game could be described as 'heaven'. I just didn't really GET it. I didn't notice the dramatic match-cut from the happy white kids playing soccer in the daytime with parents and responsible adults watching, to happy black kids running and playing in the dark of night, in a sketchy west-side alley with only a faceless man in a hoodie with a brown paper bag watching, garbage lies in piles and a rat wanders around. That is a VERY stark contrast, and I feel almost embarrassed that this whole bit kind of... passed me by.

There are a number of other things I just... had not lived quite long enough to pick up on the nuance of. Daniels' marriage and wife, at the start of season 1, for example? What we see is that he is living in a very nice house, eating a very luxurious dinner, and that his wife has no compunctions with giving him very frank advice about his job. We learn that Daniels is dirty, and has a few hundred thousand stashed away. The implication, to me, is that Daniels makes far less money than his wife, who is clearly the primary breadwinner in the household, and judging by the money stashed away I would say he has some issues about this.

Am I mis-reading this? I can't really remember whether his wife was in on the dirty money and they had spent it together to achieve that lifestyle. Not entirely sure. Regardless, Daniels psychology makes a lot more sense to me, same with many adult characters I think on this rewatch.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

Hasselblad posted:

Refresh my memory, was Vega the one dating the punk bartender? It just occurred to me he was not in this season (unless I missed him when I got up for a beer)

Mimi Rogers is good too. Gets criminals off, but is really really good at it, and does it because someone has to.

Vega is the female that started working with Rhondell after Jimmy( Santiago) moved up. Jimmy was dating the bartender.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

kaworu posted:

There are a number of other things I just... had not lived quite long enough to pick up on the nuance of. Daniels' marriage and wife, at the start of season 1, for example? What we see is that he is living in a very nice house, eating a very luxurious dinner, and that his wife has no compunctions with giving him very frank advice about his job. We learn that Daniels is dirty, and has a few hundred thousand stashed away. The implication, to me, is that Daniels makes far less money than his wife, who is clearly the primary breadwinner in the household, and judging by the money stashed away I would say he has some issues about this.

Am I mis-reading this? I can't really remember whether his wife was in on the dirty money and they had spent it together to achieve that lifestyle. Not entirely sure. Regardless, Daniels psychology makes a lot more sense to me, same with many adult characters I think on this rewatch.

I had always taken her as part of the small black middle class, with a decent education and white collar job, but not exceptionally wealthy. I think the implication is that the dirty money helped pay for the extras. A 2 income family could still get a decent house, but pay for nice furnishings, clothing, expensive dinners, etc, with the stored cash.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
I was always under the assumption she was an attorney, which is why she pushed for him to get his JD.

Not talking about Cheryl, Kima, or Nancy

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Syrian Lannister posted:

I was always under the assumption she was an attorney, which is why she pushed for him to get his JD.

Not talking about Cheryl, Kima, or Nancy

I thought this as well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, the distinct impression I got is that he skimmed as part of a culture in his division at the time and always regretted it, but the money he did take allowed him and his wife to add it to their incomes to lift above the mortgage trap and actually live a relatively comfortably lifestyle and enjoy some of the nicer things in life.

From memory, everybody who suspected Daniels only did so because - in addition to them knowing the culture he came up in through the Department - he was living just enough above his means to indicate he had more money than they knew he and his wife should have for their jobs... but not so much more that it couldn't possibly be explained some other way. He showed up at cultural events that should have been a little outside his pay bracket to be comfortable with etc, but not enough to do more than raise a few eyebrows.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I never considered that Marla Daniels was the primary breadwinner. In fact, I thought the opposite was clearly alluded to, when Burrell tells Daniels that he came into a lot of money quick; that seems to indicate that it was Daniels' ill-gotten gains that provided for their nice house and lifestyle. That makes the most sense to me, since if she had a high-paying job Burrell's threat would be pretty neutered. Marla just seems like a socialite with political aspirations, and unfortunately her backstory doesn't seem to be fleshed out anywhere. Daniels does tell Ronnie that Marla stalled her career for his sake for many years, but we're never told what that career is apart from wanting political power.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Jerusalem posted:

He showed up at cultural events that should have been a little outside his pay bracket to be comfortable with etc, but not enough to do more than raise a few eyebrows.
Huh? The only social events I remember were the ones they attended because his wife was running for council.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Huh? The only social events I remember were the ones they attended because his wife was running for council.

I forget the exact details but he bumps into Burrell at some event early in season 1, and Burrell is legitimately surprised to see him there and jokes that maybe they're paying him too much, and Daniels laughs it off and admits that he's there because his wife wanted him to be. Burrell takes a moment to quiz him on some of the political power players who are present, and is amused that Daniels is fairly ignorant of who is who. I'm fairly certain it was before she explicitly began running for council, which from memory doesn't become an explicit thing with her until season 3?

I always got the impression she was involved in law in some way, but that she always had her mind set on a political career and was using her legal career (and his status as a ranking police officer) as stepping stones to get there, much in the same way that Carcetti and so many others have done before her. She was always pushing Daniels to move into law as well, she seemed very fixated on status and it may be a logical leap but I took that to mean she probably came from a somewhat impoverished background she was desperate to escape.

I feel like between the two of them they were probably making six figures, but they also had used the money he'd skimmed to either pay for or offset the cost of their setup into a more comfortable life with that lovely home, meaning more of the money they were continuing to make legitimately could go towards their lifestyle/socializing etc.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 9, 2020

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
1. Now is a KILLER time for a rewatch.

2. Wrapping up “Slapstick” as I type this. Not to be that guy, but I think I’m pretty locked in that the order of 4,2,1,3,5 is pretty definitive in my head. There are elements of that first season that are a bit more engaging than 3.

3. In “Homecoming,” Marla and Cedric Daniels are at an AIDS fundraiser gala thing. It got me thinking about the juxtaposition of that, vs the social organizations coming in and doing the actual work in Hamsterdam.

4. Ziggy is in IT: Chapter 2. I had watched it twice and couldn’t peg why he was so familiar, but avoided deferring to IMDB at the time. He’s actually had an impressive career post-Wire, great for him.

5. Still need to watch Simon’s new one and The Deuce. But The Wire is just a siren song.

Also, I’ve mentioned it before but season 5 (in 2007/8) brings up fentanyl. Almost 100% sure of that. Just one of those tiny mentions that just portends something greater.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I just finished Generation Kill not that long ago and James Ransone is incredible in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hasselblad posted:

How on earth is that “less” horrible?

Did you forget Marlo Stanfield exists