Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Its a drag strip, so ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

Basticle posted:

Its a drag strip, so ...

straight line wind effect

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
It's Saturday night and I'm drinking PBR so it makes sense then to watch Jordan Taylor drive the 76 Greenwood Corvette.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiW-JPqh23E

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm not gonna read em but at least they exist.
https://twitter.com/IMSA/status/1258379022284795904

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

net work error posted:

I'm not gonna read em but at least they exist.
https://twitter.com/IMSA/status/1258379022284795904

Like, on the face of it the fairly high minimum weight and lower horsepower target should be disappointing, but at this point I'd just be happy for sportscar racing and several of the interested automakers to still exist in 2021

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

an oddly awful oud posted:

Like, on the face of it the fairly high minimum weight and lower horsepower target should be disappointing, but at this point I'd just be happy for sportscar racing and several of the interested automakers to still exist in 2021

It’s disappointing from a raw numbers standpoint, but if it gets a bunch of competitors involved and OEMs throwing money at it then it should at least be entertaining?

And with five years of homologation, hopefully it bridges to a point where BMW, Toyota, and An Other (at least) want to throw engineering money* at hydrogen powered prototypes with fewer restrictions.

*engineering money is good and pure, marketing money is fickle and leaves series

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Sportscsr racing is cool and good so hopefully this works well.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Sportscsr racing is cool and good so hopefully this works well.

It certainly sounds like a lot of OEMs are sniffing around, so hopefully we get a few that will also sell the packages on to privateers.

It also seems like those OEM kits for LMDH would be just engine, transmission and bodywork, so it should be fairly easy to provide to third parties, especially if a big OEM is using its GT3 engine as a base (which I believe is still allowed under these rules).

Could be possible to have a works team in one championship selling the cars there (after a first season) or to a team (or three) in the other. Maybe like Cadillac focusing on IMSA, but selling its kit to teams for WEC.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Fwiw, the only DPi that actually used a GT3 engine was pretty hamstrung by it. It didn't make enough power, it was too heavy and had too much weight up high, and they had constant gearbox issues with it. Once Mazda figured out their engine and passed the Nissan in performance, it was done for, they were about 40kg overweight and the amount of power they were given by BoP was too much for their driveline. Caddy, Acura, and Mazda all use bespoke engines designed from the start to run in prototypes.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
https://www.instagram.com/p/CADZeWNl2Ex/ :thunk:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Fwiw, the only DPi that actually used a GT3 engine was pretty hamstrung by it. It didn't make enough power, it was too heavy and had too much weight up high, and they had constant gearbox issues with it. Once Mazda figured out their engine and passed the Nissan in performance, it was done for, they were about 40kg overweight and the amount of power they were given by BoP was too much for their driveline. Caddy, Acura, and Mazda all use bespoke engines designed from the start to run in prototypes.

That was also the only one with that sort of hands-off customer relationship, the sort of problems a proper setup would avoid, even with privateers. Engine problems came in for the Nissan because of changes made to the GT3 engine that weren’t aligned with the prototype team, which, is that bad planning or a problem engine?

Also the NSX GT3 engine is derived from Honda’s long-running prototype engine, which also powers the Acura DPi.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

harperdc posted:

That was also the only one with that sort of hands-off customer relationship, the sort of problems a proper setup would avoid, even with privateers. Engine problems came in for the Nissan because of changes made to the GT3 engine that weren’t aligned with the prototype team, which, is that bad planning or a problem engine?

Also the NSX GT3 engine is derived from Honda’s long-running prototype engine, which also powers the Acura DPi.

One could argue that the HPD 3.5TT is not ideal for its application in the ARX-05, because its mass seems to contribute to a lot of wear on the rear tires. It's been an issue since day 1 with the car. It's not an insurmountable handicap, especially when you have honest to god crackheads, that is, people smoking crack cocaine and for sure not the good poo poo, in charge of BoP for a season, but it's something worth noting

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yeah the HPD 3.5TT has a long and successful history as a prototype engine. When Nissan did a proper prototype engine for the GT-R LM (and later in the ByKolles), it seemed to perform better when packaged properly

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Chevy pulled out of Le Mans.

I'm sad that one of the events i'm looking forward to this year is weaker, but also I can't really blame them looking after their people.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Chevy pulled out of Le Mans.

I'm sad that one of the events i'm looking forward to this year is weaker, but also I can't really blame them looking after their people.

I think they're spinning it as a money-saver, but logistically it seems like it'll be impossible to get cars (and personnel) over there and back without major quarantine time.

the US-based Porsche GTE team also pulled out this week, most likely for the exact same reasons.

I would imagine both are back to Le Mans next year, assuming life returns to some degree of normalcy soon.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Yeah the HPD 3.5TT has a long and successful history as a prototype engine. When Nissan did a proper prototype engine for the GT-R LM (and later in the ByKolles), it seemed to perform better when packaged properly

yeah that Cosworth engine Nissan got for the GT-R LM was a gem, from memory the engine itself was a match for the engines in the Audi, Porsche, and Toyota, but without any hybrid system the Nissan was dead in the water.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
And ByKolles can't package an engine for poo poo, and even they managed to run reasonably well with it, without setting themselves on fire too much.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
They've already started talking about cancelling the Bathurst 12hr next year based on whether Australia lifts it's travel restrictions in time. If that happens it'll end up being the final round of the supercars series instead which they are already talking about doing depending on when they can get their season back up and running which doesn't appear as though it'll happen before july at the earliest.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

They've already started talking about cancelling the Bathurst 12hr next year based on whether Australia lifts it's travel restrictions in time. If that happens it'll end up being the final round of the supercars series instead which they are already talking about doing depending on when they can get their season back up and running which doesn't appear as though it'll happen before july at the earliest.

I think there’s a good chance they don’t go forward with it if they want it to feature the global teams, because they’ll need assurances early about shipping vehicles, spares, pit setups, etc. IIRC last year there were SRO GT teams that shipped from Kyalami to Australia, and that race in South Africa was in mid November.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

harperdc posted:

I think there’s a good chance they don’t go forward with it if they want it to feature the global teams, because they’ll need assurances early about shipping vehicles, spares, pit setups, etc. IIRC last year there were SRO GT teams that shipped from Kyalami to Australia, and that race in South Africa was in mid November.

even the teams that don't ship from South Africa need to ship stuff by November to ensure it turns up on time. Its not just the global teams either but a large number of the Australian GT teams rely on international drivers to get the job done. I'm sure there will be more information later in the year and it almost entirely hinges on what the government decides to do in terms of border restrictions which they have no real plans on lifting anytime soon.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

And ByKolles can't package an engine for poo poo, and even they managed to run reasonably well with it, without setting themselves on fire too much.

This is why I hate the new "BoP cosy everyone gets a turn to win" formula.

Proper LMP might have slight fields but where can you have a £200m hybrid mega technology Toyota with unimaginable complexity racing a bucket with an old nissan taped to it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

When it's a 6 hour race I'd rather see the bucket and spaceship battling than watch the spaceship on a sunday drive.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
so supercross is coming back to finish the last 7 rounds in the season. all 7 races in SLC on a two a week cadence. no fans. top 40 riders in each class (450, 250 E, 250 W) is invited. lol

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm torn between loving SC and also lol.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

So United Sports Cars is restarting the season at....Daytona????

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Sprint round at Daytona should be interesting, with a lot more urgency to make ground we should see some pretty hard racing that doesn't often develop in a 24h

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Basticle posted:

So United Sports Cars is restarting the season at....Daytona????

2000s throwbacks are all the rage. Makes sense though, they own the track and can probably run it without a crowd pretty easily.

Assuming that’s all safe to do and possible by then of course.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/149455/virtual-le-mans-24-hours-announced

I don't know what platform they are using but it seems to be run by the guys that make NASCAR Heat(?). I'm a bit unclear on what is going on.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

algebra testes posted:

https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/149455/virtual-le-mans-24-hours-announced

I don't know what platform they are using but it seems to be run by the guys that make NASCAR Heat(?). I'm a bit unclear on what is going on.

They're using rFactor 2, it's a pretty outdated game that was top of the line consumer simulation fare in 2013 but has been mostly caught up to by other sim racing games since. It was made by ISI who did make the original Nascar Heat games I think, but is now a team called Studio 397 because ISI visibly stopped giving a poo poo about rF2 in favour of rFactor Pro which actually makes them money.

It's a funny move for them since the official Le Mans Series eSports league uses Forza Motorsport 7.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The Race All Stars series uses rFactor 2 as well, it seems to work ok for them.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The bugs don't tend to have as big an impact in 10 lap races. Trying to run 24 hours in rf2 is... an experience.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I look forward to finding out. Everyone's a ByKolles!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dinner With Racers running their Thursday Night Blunder series with a format that I think this thread would appreciate: the jumpy trucks, and a group of old Nissan GTP cars trying to be the best ramps they can be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHOFv2sRT2o

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

harperdc posted:

Dinner With Racers running their Thursday Night Blunder series with a format that I think this thread would appreciate: the jumpy trucks, and a group of old Nissan GTP cars trying to be the best ramps they can be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHOFv2sRT2o

good lord this is hilarious

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
https://www.motorsport.com/gaming/news/daniel-abt-excluded-fined-esports-imposter-trick/4796102/

quote:

Audi Formula E driver Daniel Abt has been disqualified from the latest FE Race at Home Challenge race, stripped of his points total and handed a €10,000 fine.

Abt, who originally finished third in the fifth round of Formula E’s sim racing series on Saturday, was found to have let a professional esports racer control his virtual car for the race.

:roflolmao:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

holy poo poo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
lmao that owns

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

lmao that owns

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
esports keep getting funnier

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I thought you had to be on camera or we, did he just pretend to drive sitting at his sim rig while someone else raced for him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

track day bro! posted:

I thought you had to be on camera or we, did he just pretend to drive sitting at his sim rig while someone else raced for him?

You can be on camera, look like you're driving and have someone else actually connected to your PC on a second rig. I also love this bit from The Race's story on it.

quote:

Suspicions were initially raised that Abt may have invited someone else to race under his name after he qualified second and led the race for a period.