Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Finally stopped Verizon TV. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I don't know much about the 8 series but for $1000 it's probably a decent buy.

https://twitter.com/engadget/status/1257698311328456704?s=20

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The 8 series is the mini-led set, from what I remember. It's actually got less effective microdimming according to Rtings.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
My 2018 Vizio P55-F1 backlight just started eating poo poo and AMEX will probably cut me a check for it.

What is the current recommendation around $1000 ? I'm a bit gun shy on Vizio because the local dimming on the P55 never worked right with subtitles.

Criteria:
55" to fit the wall mount
Can handle bright room
120hz
Decent game input response for the PS4
Plex App availability.

Currently using an LG soundbar over ARC so hopefully implements ARC in a sane fashion.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Want to stretch your wallet a bit? The LG B9 55 OLED is $1299 at Target.

Same price range? They just cut the price of the TCL Series 8 to about $1,000.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

FilthyImp posted:

The 8 series is the mini-led set, from what I remember. It's actually got less effective microdimming according to Rtings.

I almost bought one of these, it's been around the price before. It is mini-led but the reviews I have seen said it local dimming is equivalent to a Vizio P (Non-X) so the mini-leds don't seem to be doing much.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

PRADA SLUT posted:

If I had an AirPlay 2 enabled TV, would that allow me to wirelessly send all audio from the TV to something like a HomePod (ie, irrespective of input / source)?

Still wondering this

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

FilthyImp posted:

Want to stretch your wallet a bit? The LG B9 55 OLED is $1299 at Target.

Same price range? They just cut the price of the TCL Series 8 to about $1,000.

The LG OLEDs handle bright rooms with reflections well? Rtings has good things to say about the reflections at least.

I've never had an OLED and our TV room has a whole wall of windows that get decent sunlight in morning and late afternoon.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

PRADA SLUT posted:

Still wondering this

If so there would be a lot of lag, the Apple TV can account for it but other devices probably don't.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Laranzu posted:

The LG OLEDs handle bright rooms with reflections well? Rtings has good things to say about the reflections at least.

I've never had an OLED and our TV room has a whole wall of windows that get decent sunlight in morning and late afternoon.

I think OLEDs are probably bright enough to deal with ordinary reflections, but one quirk of OLED is that you must make sure that direct sunlight does not hit the screen, or bad things happen.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I have my C9 in an extremely windowed room that gets direct sunlight in the mornings. It’s also hanging above a fireplace that I keep turned on most of the time. Three months in and I absolutely love it. I’ll report back when it craps out on me.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Number_6 posted:

I think OLEDs are probably bright enough to deal with ordinary reflections, but one quirk of OLED is that you must make sure that direct sunlight does not hit the screen, or bad things happen.

Can someone elaborate?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Yawgmoft posted:

Can someone elaborate?
The heat speeds panel degradation.

Apparently some lab made a breakthrough using copper-substeates for OLEDs. I never knew they were being looked at to possibly replace LEDs in home lighting. New chemistry supposedly improves their emmissive qualities so brighter panels maybe?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's not really heat, it's UV. It can also hurt LCD panels as well, it just manifest itself in different ways.

The long and the short of it is direct high intensity UV exposure of TVs is generally bad regardless of TV. Either arrange your room so it doesn't happen or filter/block the light though window coverings or glass films.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
How long before UV has an effect on an OLED?

e: I mean reasonable effect, not like “instantly lol”

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PRADA SLUT posted:

How long before UV has an effect on an OLED?

e: I mean reasonable effect, not like “instantly lol”
That would depend on the amount and intensity of exposure.

Here's some science where 300 hours of exposure to a xenon arc lamp had a significant impact on the lifetime of an OLED and even caused the pixels to shrink.

https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2019/ra/c9ra09730a#!divAbstract

I don't know how the specific tech being tested in this case relates to what's in production TVs nor how the arc lamp's UV compares to sunlight exposure, but it does seem like there's something worth caring about there.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
It's the same reason why the color of a t-shirt fades when left out in the sun. I think the science term for this phenomenon is photo-bleaching. It is well known and happens in organic materials.

FilthyImp posted:

Apparently some lab made a breakthrough using copper-substeates for OLEDs. I never knew they were being looked at to possibly replace LEDs in home lighting. New chemistry supposedly improves their emmissive qualities so brighter panels maybe?

I think normal inorganic LEDs are way more bright, efficient, & reliable than OLEDs--I'm not sure how compelling OLEDs really would be for most lighting applications.

It is more straightforward to manufacture large areas of OLEDs on glass when compared to inorganic LEDs however, and so this is why we have OLED display technology instead of ILED display technology. Maybe there are lighting applications where brightness and efficiency are less important, and where they could use some kind of unique aspect of OLED technology (like its ability to be easily manufactured directly on glass or plastic) to give it some kind of edge over normal LEDs or other lighting technologies?

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 7, 2020

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

silence_kit posted:

Maybe there are lighting applications where brightness and efficiency are less important, and where they could use some kind of unique aspect of OLED technology (like its ability to be easily manufactured directly on glass or plastic) to give it some kind of edge over normal LEDs or other lighting technologies?

Yeah, you can definitely buy OLED lighting but pretty much all of it "to the trade", i.e. we won't even speak to you unless there is a reputable interior architect telling us you have a million dollar budget for your living room remodel.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 7, 2020

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Three Olives posted:

Yeah, you can definitely buy OLED lighting but pretty much all of it "to the trade", i.e. we won't even speak to you unless there is a reputable interior architect telling us you have a million dollar budget for your living room remodel.

Huh interesting. Why are some people interested in OLED lighting? What makes it more compelling over other kinds of lighting?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

silence_kit posted:

Huh interesting. Why are some people interested in OLED lighting? What makes it more compelling over other kinds of lighting?

Same as anything at that price point, gross excess for almost the singular value of gross excess. And the fact that you can't have it.

You don't think Samsung and Sony are loving around when they suggest their mind bogglingly expensive display walls can be used in your home, do you?

:ssh: They are only renders because the people that have these things installed would never agree in a million years to let them be photographed.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 7, 2020

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Yawgmoft posted:

Can someone elaborate?

I don't know how long it really takes, but here's a fairly scary example of sunlight coming through blinds:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I recently took delivery of a 65" Panasonic GZ950W OLED TV. I have it hooked up to a set of Klipsch Reference R-41PM active speakers via optical cable (so, TOSLINK.)

I had the exact same setup with my old TV, a circa 2010 Samsung LED, and things worked fine.

Problem is, now, under certain circumstances, there's a very unpleasant "chopping" or "buzzing" sound coming through the speakers. Almost sounds like a square wave. It can be reproduced reliably, and it's mainly when there's no sound coming from the TV. (Everything turned on, but silence.) The Netflix app will do it, both the native one and via an Apple TV. We have a 4k demo video clip that will do it as well.

It almost sounds like a software bug on either end to me, but TOSLINK is older than time itself, so one would think that's sorted by now.

TV has been updated to newest firmware at time of writing.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What's the opinion on Vizio V-series models? Decent or trash?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Has anyone else had their TCL 6 series randomly start rebooting? I have an Apple TV 4k plugged into it and don't use any of the Roku apps. We'll be watching HuluNoggin and it will reboot for no apparent reason.

edit: actually it seems it's a problem with the Noggin app on the Apple TV. Seems weird that it would cause the TV to reboot but I'm guessing it has something to do with the ATV always outputting Dolby Vision.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 7, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Always? Sounds like the ATV isn’t set up ideally. Change the output to 4K SDR then match framerate and match content to on. Now it will only kick into HDR mode when the content calls for it, and will run better. It’s counter intuitive to what you think, but it works better.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

bolind posted:

I recently took delivery of a 65" Panasonic GZ950W OLED TV. I have it hooked up to a set of Klipsch Reference R-41PM active speakers via optical cable (so, TOSLINK.)

I had the exact same setup with my old TV, a circa 2010 Samsung LED, and things worked fine.

Problem is, now, under certain circumstances, there's a very unpleasant "chopping" or "buzzing" sound coming through the speakers. Almost sounds like a square wave. It can be reproduced reliably, and it's mainly when there's no sound coming from the TV. (Everything turned on, but silence.) The Netflix app will do it, both the native one and via an Apple TV. We have a 4k demo video clip that will do it as well.

It almost sounds like a software bug on either end to me, but TOSLINK is older than time itself, so one would think that's sorted by now.

TV has been updated to newest firmware at time of writing.

Wonder if it maybe is because the TV is outputting 5.1 Dolby Digital for that content. I have a similar aged Samsung in another room that will only output 2.0 over optical to a soundbar so might explain why you didn't hear it before. I'd check through the sound settings and look for options to change the output signal format, maybe if you have it just send a 2.0 signal (regular stereo, Dolby 2.0 mixdown like ProLogic etc.) it might help.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

Always? Sounds like the ATV isn’t set up ideally. Change the output to 4K SDR then match framerate and match content to on. Now it will only kick into HDR mode when the content calls for it, and will run better. It’s counter intuitive to what you think, but it works better.

Yeah that makes sense...I wasn't sure what those two options did. Will it change back to HDR for the screen saver? I love those things.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
I picked up at Vizio P Quantum X 65 inch for $1,000 at target recently (looks like the price shot up to $1500 now yikes)

This thing looks great out of the box, coming from a ~ 5 year old 1080p panel, but are there any huge caveats to watch out for with Vizio's P series? I've got it hooked up to a fairly basic soundbar, a roku+ streaming stick, PS4, and a PC. Currently using everything other than HDMI 5 which appears to be a lower latency port without HDR? Guessing the best use for that would be either the older PC or non current gen console?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TheWevel posted:

Yeah that makes sense...I wasn't sure what those two options did. Will it change back to HDR for the screen saver? I love those things.

Sadly no, but they look very pretty regardless.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sadly no, but they look very pretty regardless.

https://github.com/cDima/Aerial

For anyone that wants them on their computer.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Red Warrior posted:

Wonder if it maybe is because the TV is outputting 5.1 Dolby Digital for that content. I have a similar aged Samsung in another room that will only output 2.0 over optical to a soundbar so might explain why you didn't hear it before. I'd check through the sound settings and look for options to change the output signal format, maybe if you have it just send a 2.0 signal (regular stereo, Dolby 2.0 mixdown like ProLogic etc.) it might help.

Bingo! Changing the SPDIF output to PCM fixed it! Thanks a bunch man!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I have an audio issue with a new Samsung q60t. I was trying to get it set up so that I could actually use the HDR, because apparently it won't function correctly when connected through my A/V receiver. So I said, gently caress it, I'll do some cable spelunking and connect my devices directly to the tv, and then just use the optical audio out the receiver and get my sound that way.

Only now there's no sound. So it seems that with my brand new loving tv I have the option of either not having HDR available or having HDR and using the tv speakers for sound, which is completely unacceptable to me. Anyone have experience with this tv or a model in the same family with any ideas?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

silence_kit posted:

It lets you do really loving cool looking things......

and that's about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od_4Kct3S5k&t=163s

The video says concept but those lights did in fact ship on the limited-edition M4 GTS and M4 CS packages. They're something like $3000 a side.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I notice they don't use them for the turn signals. Nobody would ever see them if they did.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

DrNutt posted:

I have an audio issue with a new Samsung q60t. I was trying to get it set up so that I could actually use the HDR, because apparently it won't function correctly when connected through my A/V receiver. So I said, gently caress it, I'll do some cable spelunking and connect my devices directly to the tv, and then just use the optical audio out the receiver and get my sound that way.

Only now there's no sound. So it seems that with my brand new loving tv I have the option of either not having HDR available or having HDR and using the tv speakers for sound, which is completely unacceptable to me. Anyone have experience with this tv or a model in the same family with any ideas?

I realize this is a very stupid question, but did you change the audio output to Audio Out/Optical?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Also unless your receiver is a very early HDMI model you should still be able to use ARC to return the audio to the receiver over HDMI which would generally be preferable.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I realize this is a very stupid question, but did you change the audio output to Audio Out/Optical?

As a tangential question, does the Q60T have a setting that provides audio from both the TV speakers and optical output at the same time? It seems like some Samsung models annoyingly don't allow for simultaneous TV speaker and optical output. (And, yes, there are use cases where that's something desirable.)

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

TheWevel posted:

https://github.com/cDima/Aerial

For anyone that wants them on their computer.

There is also one for Mac. It’s awesome. I have them all downloaded in 4K.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Yep, I did do that. The weird thing is that I wasn't getting sound from any of the game consoles connected to the TV, but I also am not getting any sound from the TV either (menu beeps or anything when using the tv as source vs one of the consoles). At one point I was getting tv sound via optical to receiver just fine when testing the tv video apps.

Red Warrior posted:

Also unless your receiver is a very early HDMI model you should still be able to use ARC to return the audio to the receiver over HDMI which would generally be preferable.

Unfortunately I didn't look into this poo poo before I bought the tv and the Q60T only has one HDMI input with ARC.

Number_6 posted:

As a tangential question, does the Q60T have a setting that provides audio from both the TV speakers and optical output at the same time? It seems like some Samsung models annoyingly don't allow for simultaneous TV speaker and optical output. (And, yes, there are use cases where that's something desirable.)

Does not seem to, no.

For now I have just gone back to having the consoles hooked into the receiver and forgoing HDR. For the moment it's easy enough to tell myself I'm not actually missing out on much because the picture is still outrageously good and such a massive improvement over the 12 year old LED set that it replaced.

Kinda puts me in a lovely place though. I could replace the receiver with something that has HDR pass through, but part of my upgrading process was going to be downsizing to a decent midrange soundbar at some point and getting rid of the receiver and big rear end speakers. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Get a 4K hdmi audio extractor and use that with the sound bar?