Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think Kutner was more “slightly incompetent” than insane, but I’m sure he would have gone off the deep end if Kal Penn hadn’t left the show so soon.

oh you mean the guy who wakes up in the morning and eats a bowl of cereal and shoots himself in the loving head for no reason??

we have to view that in the context of its time, that actually didn't make sense in 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pick posted:

oh you mean the guy who wakes up in the morning and eats a bowl of cereal and shoots himself in the loving head for no reason??

we have to view that in the context of its time, that actually didn't make sense in 2008

Yeah, but when you compare that to the rest of the characters on House that’s practically well-adjusted.

Plus, he was not-insane enough that it actually did come across as “for no reason”. If any other character on that show killed themselves it would be like “oh, that makes sense”. It was like, twenty people hitting rock bottom on a daily basis and then Kutner.

He basically had a terminal case of Very Special Episode syndrome. It was kind of cheap and gross.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
maybe he didn't want to live in a world where he was always gonna work for unfireable doctors who homoerotically got each other hooked on speed like it was some kind of Always Sunny episode

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pick posted:

unfireable doctors

In the later seasons didn’t House have his license revoked and he still somehow worked in the hospital? I didn’t see the last few years but I heard about them and it sounded dire.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

House seasons 1-3 were pretty decent when they weren’t bogged down by a Mandatory Villain Arc for 5 episodes a year, but holy poo poo did it go downhill fast. 4 was worse, albeit watchable. Someone described everything afterwards as “watching a show become bad fanfiction of itself” and drat if that wasn’t accurate.

My go-to description of the later seasons of house is "basically the House equivalent of the TNG Season 8 Twitter"

My breaking point was when they used an MRI to somehow read a patient's mind. And it turned out to have been utterly pointless.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

In the later seasons didn’t House have his license revoked and he still somehow worked in the hospital? I didn’t see the last few years but I heard about them and it sounded dire.

I didn't really watch it past season 3, as noted I went back to the finale because I heard it was "good" and I was sort of curious what, you know, the point of the show was going to be, which ultimately was that your worst, most codependent relationship is the most important thing in your life

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
iirc he also let a drug user burn to death in an arson he did (as part of skipping jail to ride motorcycles with wilson)? like I am really struggling to remember real things that happened and believe I saw them. this show won awards.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Another low point was the penultimate season finale where Cuddy breaks up with House and he retaliates by driving a car through her loving living room window and then escapes to a tropical paradise. The final season premiere where he's in jail was clearly a response to the furious fan response accusing the show of promoting domestic abuse (he literally starts the episode by explaining to the cops that he made sure there was no one in the room and that Cuddy's daughter was not in the house, which was straight from an actual conversation the writers had in Twitter)

House as a whole didn't age well because it's whole point is glorifying the fantasy so many toxic people have of being able to treat everyone around them like poo poo and still be respected and beloved because they are so loving good at their jobs.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

AceOfFlames posted:

Another low point was the penultimate season finale where Cuddy breaks up with House and he retaliates by driving a car through her loving living room window and then escapes to a tropical paradise.

🍹🏝️

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

AceOfFlames posted:

Another low point was the penultimate season finale where Cuddy breaks up with House and he retaliates by driving a car through her loving living room window and then escapes to a tropical paradise. The final season premiere where he's in jail was clearly a response to the furious fan response accusing the show of promoting domestic abuse (he literally starts the episode by explaining to the cops that he made sure there was no one in the room and that Cuddy's daughter was not in the house, which was straight from an actual conversation the writers had in Twitter)

House as a whole didn't age well because it's whole point is glorifying the fantasy so many toxic people have of being able to treat everyone around them like poo poo and still be respected and beloved because they are so loving good at their jobs.

That scene was the very last time I ever watched house. Saw the entire series up to that point and never watched it again. Might go check out the series finale now

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

House was a terrible piece of poo poo and while I enjoyed the whole show it's good that last 2-3 seasons at least stopped excusing him for the most part.

Like his Wilson suicide pact is downright heroic for how much of a jackass he is, the only thing he cared about was the medical puzzles and he gave that up for cheating emotionally abuse BFF Wilson. And even with that he made sure a few people knew he faked it, just to rub it in/outsmart it/be a dick.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zedd posted:

House was a terrible piece of poo poo and while I enjoyed the whole show it's good that last 2-3 seasons at least stopped excusing him for the most part.

Like his Wilson suicide pact is downright heroic for how much of a jackass he is, the only thing he cared about was the medical puzzles and he gave that up for cheating emotionally abuse BFF Wilson. And even with that he made sure a few people knew he faked it, just to rub it in/outsmart it/be a dick.

They had some break through moments where people straight up confronted House and said he is a loving cancer to their existence no matter how good he solves cases. The one episode where Foreman is quitting and House is upset it all comes out because House says he's so great he doesn't get why people won't want to work for him.

Then later when Foreman was trying to get a job and literally no one would hire him he goes back to Cutty and she's like "You're seen as House Jr. No one wants that trouble no matter how good you are, except the only person dumb enough to hire House actual, me"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Not gonna lie though, I did get a kick every time someone was like “oh, is he an rear end in a top hat because of the leg?” And then it turns out that no he’s just an rear end in a top hat and the two things are mostly unrelated.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

He basically had a terminal case of Very Special Episode syndrome. It was kind of cheap and gross.

They killed him off because the actor was quitting to work with on Obama's PR team or something like that.

Not saying they got rid of him in a good way, just that they did it because he was leaving.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

I watched maybe 10 episodes of House, and every single one of them was exactly the same except for the name of the incredibly rare sleeping sickness the patient didn't/did/definitely didn't/turns out they did have.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

the_steve posted:

They killed him off because the actor was quitting to work with on Obama's PR team or something like that.

Not saying they got rid of him in a good way, just that they did it because he was leaving.

And at one point the writers joked that him working with Obama was the only reason he got the dramatic Very Special Episode whereas if he had simply joined a different show, they'd have him die if auto erotic asphyxiation.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Sweevo posted:

I watched maybe 10 episodes of House, and every single one of them was exactly the same except for the name of the incredibly rare sleeping sickness the patient didn't/did/definitely didn't/turns out they did have.

Yeah House had a formula you mostly can't get away with in binge made shows. Lots of shows at the time did. Hell most sitcoms do.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC the suicide thing was actually well received because it was a hell of a lot more reflective of what dealing with suicide in real life is compared to the usual media portrayal.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Sweevo posted:

He needs mouse bites to live!
I hope this isn't like 60mb

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sweevo posted:

This is why it works so well as background noise, just like Law and Order. You can fade in and out of noticing like three episodes and get one plot.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

This is why it works so well as background noise, just like Law and Order. You can fade in and out of noticing like three episodes and get one plot.

Also why sitcoms have the same formulaic episode format. You don't actually have to pay attention to be able to follow the plot.

...And why Naked Gun the TV show was originally cancelled: "You need to watch the show to get the jokes"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah House was a procedural.

The best episode of the first season was the one that broke away from that format and it's one of the only really great episodes of the show.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

AceOfFlames posted:

I actually liked the show up until that point and then dropped off the final season. House's break up with Cuddy was handled so poorly it felt like the writers were trying to punish people for actually enjoying a show where House and Cuddy were working and happy together and then yah the whole driving the car through the home thing just made me walk away.

The real cracks came after Season 4 when I should of realized that the show was in a bad spot when Cameron and Chase broke up because Hosue is a jerk and the writers had no way of writing an actual ok relationship.

AceOfFlmaes posted:

It was the early 2000s Anti-Hero/toxic hero phase. I remember the whole Dr. Cox/Dr. House who would you be better at insulting you debate on the forums. Scrubs at least showed you that Dr. Cox was super destructive and his life sucked because he is a toxic rear end in a top hat.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The best episode of the first season was the one that broke away from that format and it's one of the only really great episodes of the show.

The crazy thing was it was a procedural that was somehow appointment TV in 2006. I remember in college half the people in my dorm used to pack the TV lounge every week to watch it. I can’t imagine that happening with, say, Law and Order. Or House if it aired now, for that matter.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mooseontheloose posted:

The real cracks came after Season 4 when I should of realized that the show was in a bad spot when Cameron and Chase broke up because Hosue is a jerk and the writers had no way of writing an actual ok relationship.

This is almost a universal thing with so many shows: the writers are terrified of stable, healthy relationships.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I started giving up on House after the episode with the Romani boy who swallowed a toothpick during sex and caused some sort of intestinal rupture.

Pick posted:

notorious bad show Hannibal

What the hell, Pick

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is almost a universal thing with so many shows: the writers are terrified of stable, healthy relationships.

Happy families are all alike...

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You're talking about Three Stories, right? One of the best episodes of any TV in the 2000s.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The crazy thing was it was a procedural that was somehow appointment TV in 2006. I remember in college half the people in my dorm used to pack the TV lounge every week to watch it. I can’t imagine that happening with, say, Law and Order. Or House if it aired now, for that matter.

Law and Order Classic/Vanilla was/is good though. I actually think Law and Order usually does a decent job of being like this is where we are as a society today with all the complications that go with it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

No, that was a thing for Law & Order too.

From Wikipedia's page on Season 7 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_%26_Order_(season_7)): During the 7th season, Law & Order was becoming more popular than ever on television and was NBC's 2nd most-popular drama; however, the ratings were usually half the size of their big hit drama ER. NBC decided to give Law & Order some additional promotion by airing episodes 149 "D-Girl", 150 "Turnaround" & 151 "Showtime" (a three-episode story arc involving the murder of a Hollywood director's wife, partially set in Los Angeles) on Thursday nights at 10pm ET instead of ER reruns. Ratings for all three episodes were strong and helped establish the show on NBC's schedule for years to come. Episode 152 "Mad Dog" was supposed to air on a Thursday night as well, but NBC moved Law & Order back to Wednesdays at 10pm ET when their midseason show, the police drama Prince Street, bombed in the ratings in that same time slot.

Note that those episodes guest-starred Julia Roberts at the height of her career too (she was dating one of the series' stars, Benjamin Bratt).

It might be hard to realize when you're used to thinking of L&O as being a faceless procedural that's just rerun padding, but it's really not - it made its mark as an incredibly thoughtful, supremely well acted flagship drama with an emphasis on contemporary issues and discussion (the "torn from the headlines" setup.) It wasn't until the early 2000s around 9/11 that the show lost its way and became mediocre for awhile, culminating in the terrible season 17. L&O was absolutely appointment viewing for a decade.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

The absolute nadir is when House is in a psych facitility and does a rap with a pre-Hamilton Lin Manuel Miranda:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aArqS8RHWT0

quote:

When House premiered in 2005, I was around 16-18 and at the height of my "I know everything and am going to make my mark in the world" phase of delusional adolescent ego. Even at the time I took one look at the premise and said "Oh this is not emotionally healthy for anyone to watch."

The best House season was easily 4 though, where he/the writers turned his hiring of new doctors into a reality show with case-of-the-week interspersed. The only actual medical plot I can remember is one where a woman ends up making GBS threads out of her mouth and House is all ":smug: this is what you get for lying so much."

Henchman of Santa posted:

What the hell, Pick
I stopped watching Hannibal, but that was only because Hugh Darcy was scary loving good at playing an ASD man and it was implausibly getting too real.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I liked the first season of Hannibal well enough but never continued. I feel like that season really missed its true calling to become a show about two gay dads who disagree on the question of whether it's ok for their daughter to become a serial killer.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yea house was always dumb and silly in a good way until... season 5 or so? I dunno. Whenever he ended up in jail is about when I jumped ship.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

At some point House performs surgery on himself in his bathtub in order to remove a tumor. I think that was when I checked out.

Good episodes where the one where John Larroquette woke up from an 80s coma and didn't know what an ipod was and the one where House and Wilson drive to R Lee Ermey's funeral.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

At some point House performs surgery on himself in his bathtub in order to remove a tumor. I think that was when I checked out.

That just sounds like they were referencing that one Russian doctor who had to perform his own appendectomy because he was the only doctor on their Antarctic base.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Promoted Pawn posted:

That just sounds like they were referencing that one Russian doctor who had to perform his own appendectomy because he was the only doctor on their Antarctic base.

Are you thinking of the woman with breast cancer, or has this happened multiple times?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

hyperhazard posted:

Are you thinking of the woman with breast cancer, or has this happened multiple times?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonid_Rogozov

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Arivia posted:

Note that those episodes guest-starred Julia Roberts at the height of her career too (she was dating one of the series' stars, Benjamin Bratt).

No she didn't. She appeared in one episode, Empire, a season or two later about someone trying to build a football stadium and who got killed by viagra.

The rest is pretty much right on, though. I remember Law & Order basically being big until Jerry Orbach left, then went through a few years with cast stuff, bottoming out in season 17. It actually got good again after that, with the last few seasons having a pretty good cast that worked well together, and it was kind of a bummer it ended when it did.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

this reminds me of the very good and underrated show The Knick which is a period drama starring clive owen, who is also a drug addict rear end in a top hat medical genius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Promoted Pawn posted:

Doesn't House walk someone through this exact procedure via video cam in an early episode?